PDA

View Full Version : 2 baseball signees

Lumpy Chucklelips
07-30-2017, 10:51 AM
in the Under Armour baseball game with glowing accolades. J.T. Ginn and Cole Winn, 2 pitchers for 2018. Ginn, best fastball, hitting 97 in the game; Winn, best curveball. Speculation that Ginn will be a 1st rounder. Not sure on Winn. I'm sure Todd can fill us in. MIF signee, Jeremiah Johnson from Mobile also played in the game.

Cann will get his first chance at keeping a 1st rounder at home that so many people have been waiting to see. Odds are definitely stacked against us.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-under-armour-all-america-game-superlatives/#W44TyczZyfJCohSR.97

louisvilledawg
07-30-2017, 10:52 AM
I just don't see a potential first rounder staying out of the draft. If you're already projected as a first, what would be the benefit of staying?

Todd4State
07-30-2017, 11:46 AM
They're both top three round talents at least. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Winn is more highly thought of than Ginn but we'll see about that. Jackson has been playing a lot of second base for Team USA this summer but if he comes to school I think he would be a SS. With Cann's track record with SS's that might help a little as far as keeping him. If Ginn's family wants him to go to college and he wants to hit and pitch that may factor in but I definitely could see him being a potential first round pick. Carter Stewart and Bryce Bush have also made a lot of noise this offseason and the Canadian pitcher we just got a commitment from looks like a really good prospect as well.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Todd you're right about JT he wants to still play a position and hit as well as pitch. The MLB scouts have been working him at catcher some and some may be looking at him as a power hitting catcher. Talked to his dad last night and this morning and him and JT still want to play at the new Dude. As of right now he's still planning on being at State. And with JT Birthday he can enter draft after 2 years and not have to wait 3. The summer college courses he's taken are putting him way ahead with school as well.

preachermatt83
07-30-2017, 12:34 PM
I really think JT will come to school.

msbulldog
07-30-2017, 04:12 PM
I hope so!

Rick Danko
07-30-2017, 05:17 PM
I really think JT will come to school.

Dang it, we don't stand a chance now***

Leeshouldveflanked
07-30-2017, 05:33 PM
I doubt either one of these comes to Starkville.....

Commercecomet24
07-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Well I can't guarantee a thing but as of this morning JT will be in Starkville.

msstate7
07-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Let's see...

Choice 1: millions of dollars after being drafted in 1st and education paid for after baseball

Choice 2: pay part of school tuition to play baseball and hopefully get drafted in 1st round again

I don't see a choice

Commercecomet24
07-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Let's see...

Choice 1: millions of dollars after being drafted in 1st and education paid for after baseball

Choice 2: pay part of school tuition to play baseball and hopefully get drafted in 1st round again

I don't see a choice

Well you don't know Mike Ginn.

msstate7
07-30-2017, 05:46 PM
Well you don't know Mike Ginn.

I hope I'm wrong.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2017, 05:55 PM
I hope I'm wrong.

Anything can happen but not every person bases their decisions strictly on money. Mike wants JT to experience college, they love Cann, they want to play at the new Dude and JT can go in draft after 2 years not 3. There's insurance policies that cover injuries if it happens before the draft which is the only thing that could derail him. He's not gonna quit throwing 97mph all of a sudden so his draft stock pretty secure. Like I said no guarantees but mike and I grew up
playing ball together and we talk 3-4 times a week and as of now JT will be at State.

Todd4State
07-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Let's see...

I don't see a choice

There's a difference between "potential" first round pick and "no doubt" first round pick. Ken Griffey, Jr., Bryce Harper, Hunter Greene, etc. those are "no doubt" first round picks. If you are a "potential" first round pick that means you could be taken in the first round or odds are you may not so there's a little more uncertainty there. There are a lot of factors that go into it- a lot of it is what the player and their family value. More and more people are valuing an education. Plus the new slot system has dropped what teams pay by the time you get to pick 33 you are already under the 2 million dollar slot. By pick 63 you are under the 1 million dollar slot which is late second round most years. Those are just some of the reasons why you are seeing guys like Seth Beer go to college more than you used to.

Ginn could come to MSU and be our version of Brendan McKay and end up being a first round pick. Plus, with his age being where he could get drafted after his sophomore year he will have a little more leverage than most players- like Mangum this year and sort of like Rooker last year.

Always remember the ultimate goal for any baseball player isn't how much of a draft bonus they can get- it's about getting to MLB and doing what it takes to give them the best chance to play in MLB which is where the life changing money is for the vast majority of players. Playing at MSU and in the SEC is going to help him achieve that. And with him being a two year guy, it would be like having JUCO draft options but playing SEC baseball. It's a win/win for him.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2017, 06:27 PM
There's a difference between "potential" first round pick and "no doubt" first round pick. Ken Griffey, Jr., Bryce Harper, Hunter Greene, etc. those are "no doubt" first round picks. If you are a "potential" first round pick that means you could be taken in the first round or odds are you may not so there's a little more uncertainty there. There are a lot of factors that go into it- a lot of it is what the player and their family value. More and more people are valuing an education. Plus the new slot system has dropped what teams pay by the time you get to pick 33 you are already under the 2 million dollar slot. By pick 63 you are under the 1 million dollar slot which is late second round most years. Those are just some of the reasons why you are seeing guys like Seth Beer go to college more than you used to.

Ginn could come to MSU and be our version of Brendan McKay and end up being a first round pick. Plus, with his age being where he could get drafted after his sophomore year he will have a little more leverage than most players- like Mangum this year and sort of like Rooker last year.

Always remember the ultimate goal for any baseball player isn't how much of a draft bonus they can get- it's about getting to MLB and doing what it takes to give them the best chance to play in MLB which is where the life changing money is for the vast majority of players. Playing at MSU and in the SEC is going to help him achieve that. And with him being a two year guy, it would be like having JUCO draft options but playing SEC baseball. It's a win/win for him.

Very, very well said! Rep given!

Homedawg
07-30-2017, 08:16 PM
Carter Stewart is projected first round as well. Sign em and hope. Maybe a surprise happens. Not counting on it. But at least it's our shot.

Todd4State
07-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Carter Stewart is projected first round as well. Sign em and hope. Maybe a surprise happens. Not counting on it. But at least it's our shot.

Yep. At least if something happens they're coming here. I'm surprised that he wasn't at the UA All-American Game to be honest. He made the Team USA national team trials and is a Perfect Game All-American.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2017, 09:39 PM

Yep that's how you have to play the game.