PDA

View Full Version : O'linemen

msstate7
09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
How many genuine sec caliber o'linemen do we have right? Are desper, flowers, clayborn, and Thomas gonna be players? Is the number of juco's a sign we have no good ones?

Ronny
09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
..with our OL.

In fact, I think they are the strength of the club.

Mullen only runs 7 plays (not counting Dak's razzle dazzle plays) so it's not like they have a lot of different schemes to learn.

Coach34
09-17-2013, 05:01 PM
We were 2nd in the SEC in fewest sacks allowed and threw the 4th most passes last year- so we have at least 5

We ran for 200 yards and passed for 200 vs Auburn this past Saturday against a front people said was good coming into the game- 415 yards of total offense. We have 5 SEC linemen

It's up to the coach heading up the offense to do things offensively that his OL does best- and that means for all 4 quarters- not just the first 3

msstate7
09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Well my question was more about the young guys. I'm a little worried that we feel the need to go after multiple juco ol

bocfarm
09-17-2013, 05:07 PM
I think juco to replace RT and help with depth at G

Coach34
09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Well my question was more about the young guys. I'm a little worried that we feel the need to go after multiple juco ol

Clayborn is showing out, Flowers is coming along well, Desper is learning, and Thomas needs to mature alot. Hitting juco to shore up some spots. Nothing wrong with getting s few juco guys on the OL to plug in and add depth

MarketingBully01
09-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I am glad we are finally off our fans saying our OLinemen suck. It's hard to give anyone time on those passing plays that Mullen has drawn up for both Tyler and Dak where you just stand like a staute for 5 seconds waiting for someone to get open. Hopefully at least with Dak, he can scramble out of it and run for a yard or two. I am hoping when Dak gets some seasoning that he will audible out of those idiot plays.

mic
09-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Sounds like we have 2 VERY good ones from GA in this years class. I would be willing to bet if those 2 were in MS they would be dandy dozen. Just have to hold on to them..

Todd4State
09-17-2013, 07:29 PM

It's because you don't want freshmen and sophomores playing in the SEC on the o-line if you can help it. And sure, there are exceptions- but in general. Here's what our o-line would look like without any JUCO's.

C- Day and Desper- we should be OK next year.
G- Malone and ???? Clayborn?
G- Beckwith and ???? Thomas?
T- Clausell and Cole Carter
T- Damien Robinson and Flowers

As you can see- without the JUCO's, we would be starting a former walk-on a tackle who has yet to have the light come on for him and behind all of those guys we would have two sophomores and three freshmen. So, if we had some injuries on the o-line we would be up the creek. And depending on how things go in the spring and fall, those starters probably could use some competition to make them better.

Bo Darville
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
It's because you don't want freshmen and sophomores playing in the SEC on the o-line if you can help it. And sure, there are exceptions- but in general. Here's what our o-line would look like without any JUCO's.

C- Day and Desper- we should be OK next year.
G- Malone and ???? Clayborn?
G- Beckwith and ???? Thomas?
T- Clausell and Cole Carter
T- Damien Robinson and Flowers

As you can see- without the JUCO's, we would be starting a former walk-on a tackle who has yet to have the light come on for him and behind all of those guys we would have two sophomores and three freshmen. So, if we had some injuries on the o-line we would be up the creek. And depending on how things go in the spring and fall, those starters probably could use some competition to make them better.

Exactly Todd. The JUCOs are brought in to replace casualties. You must keep the positions and classes balanced or you end up with no depth or a freshman playing. Lawson would be a 5th year senior next year. Redmond, Maiden, and Knox would be 4th year juniors next year. They would be ready to step in if they had panned out but that didn't happen. JUCO guys will be brought in to replace them.

And Todd, you forgot Justin Senior.

bostonred
09-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Justin Senior is going to be pretty good I think.

Todd4State
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM
My bad- I forgot about Senior.

Homedawg
09-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Senior is very athletic. And as coach said, clayborn is doing better than expected. So good that his next up at guard. He really wants to redshirt. And I think that's the right move for any offensive lineman not named Willie Anderson or michael other. Sorry he was legit. They haven't given up on desper nor carter, they are just fr. But its more likely they are ready as jrs than sophomores.