PDA

View Full Version : Godfrey drops second article today and states that LL will be summoned to the COI

RC3
07-26-2017, 09:21 PM
dont click the link if you don't wanna..not sure if we are prohibited from linking sbnation stuff

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/26/15993846/leo-lewis-ncaa-ole-miss-mississippi-state-sec

lamont
07-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Lewis has been asked to appear before the COi- but OM reps are not allowed to ask questions of him

WinningIsRelentless
07-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Those stupid sobs keep leaking stuff that is going to bite them in the ass

RC3
Lewis has been asked to appear before the COi- but OM reps are not allowed to ask questions of him

way i read it to. just the panel. But it indicates to me that they do likely have a few questions, otherwise he would not be "invited" to attend

BrunswickDawg
So once again, we have Ole Miss leaking a student athletes name.

Note Leo's rep's response:
"Anytime the NCAA conducts any investigation into an athletic program, when a student athlete is requested to participate in investigation, per NCAA rules and regulations and per confidentiality agreements executed by the student athlete, that participation is confidential. I?m not in a position to comment one way or the other on any past, or future participation by Mr. Lewis in any NCAA investigation because it is confidential.?

Folks - Ole Miss will just keep digging a bigger hole every time they leak a SA's name.

civildawg
07-26-2017, 09:32 PM
I'm assuming he's being summoned just like an eye witness would be summoned in a trial

JDog13
07-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Keep in mind Godfrey is an ole miss homer with ole miss sources. Doubt he has legit NCAA sources. His info likely came from ole miss, and we know how accurate they have been. So wait and see.

Todd4State
07-26-2017, 09:35 PM
I'll say this- something else bad must be about to drop because they are flipping out.

Or it could be that Godfrey is the only "media"- and I use that term loosely in his case- that is on their side after years of the rest of the media being burned the past few years.

Commercecomet24
07-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I'll say this- something else bad must be about to drop because they are flipping out.

Or it could be that Godfrey is the only "media"- and I use that term loosely in his case- that is on their side after years of the rest of the media being burned the past few years.

I believe you're right, Todd. I think some more bad bad news is just on the horizon for the bears.

confucius say
07-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Stop using the words summoned and requested interchangeably. Semantics perhaps, but he was requested, not summoned.

I do think he should go though and tell same story again. The NCAA believes him as evidenced by their response to ole miss, and the coi listens to the NCAA.

Mullen should go with him. Not to answer questions but for support. You would be able to cut the tension with a knife. Would pay to watch.

MarketingBully
07-26-2017, 09:42 PM
I don't understand this strategy. Why not just admit you did it and move on. Why do all of this bullshit? Do they think this is going to work? This strategy might result in an extra bowl ban and a steep loss of scholarships. Trying this by using the media in the realm of public opinion is going to backfire. They did it. They aren't getting railroaded. If I was Lewis, I'd go and answer the panel's questions if in fact the COI did ask him to be there. This to me is unprecedented that a university is using these tactics to reduce their possible infractions even though they did them. Freeze has been uncovered to be a big time hypocrite and liar. He was their main witness and he now has been discredited. It's just a whole bunch of bullshit if you ask me. Dumb as hell.

Commercecomet24
07-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Stop using the words summoned and requested interchangeably. Semantics perhaps, but he was requested, not summoned.

I do think he should go though and tell same story again. The NCAA believes him as evidenced by their response to ole miss, and the coi listens to the NCAA.

Mullen should go with him. Not to answer questions but for support. You would be able to cut the tension with a knife. Would pay to watch.

Exactly! Since the NCAA has apparently rejected unm response to the NOA's "in full" it's obvious they don't believe Leo is lying or inconsistent or any of the other gaziliion SA's that have given evidence for that matter.

Jack Lambert
07-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Looks like Ole Miss is in a full court PR press today. Freeze speaks out and invokes the name of god. Dick head on H to H and Godfrey two articles. Now we need Jake Wimberly to be suckered into letting Scott Mckinney back on his show to push the narrative.

Just think if we knew what we don't know. This thing is big and I mean John Holmes big or even King Paul Big.

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Nail meet coffin. Let the idiots spin it all the want. This is the death blow

Shake 'n Bake
07-26-2017, 09:53 PM
This seems stupid AF on ole miss part. There's no doubt who leaked this letter to Godfrey. Surely they realize that isn't going to play well with the NCAA. Just one idiotic decision after the other by their AD

lamont
07-26-2017, 09:55 PM
I don't understand this strategy. Why not just admit you did it and move on. Why do all of this bullshit? \.

because their program is about to get asshammered. Anything they can get shot down using lawyer BS is worth it.

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2017, 09:55 PM
So once again, we have Ole Miss leaking a student athletes name.

Note Leo's rep's response:
"Anytime the NCAA conducts any investigation into an athletic program, when a student athlete is requested to participate in investigation, per NCAA rules and regulations and per confidentiality agreements executed by the student athlete, that participation is confidential. I?m not in a position to comment one way or the other on any past, or future participation by Mr. Lewis in any NCAA investigation because it is confidential.?

Folks - Ole Miss will just keep digging a bigger hole every time they leak a SA's name.

If LL39 has even semi-competent legal representation, a FERPA suit should be slapped on Northern Miss tomorrow morning. Enough is enough, dammit.

ETA: **** those Shitbirds!

Leeshouldveflanked
07-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Given that the Document was dated in May...Ole Miss Received The NCAA Response this week.... and Leo is practicing and is projected starter game 1.... I don't think we should be the least bit worried..... if it was something to be worried about, Bracky would have shut Leo down and self imposed a 2 Year Bowl ban.

HSVDawg
07-26-2017, 10:00 PM
This isn't really relevant to the content, but aside from all the other obvious bullshit this is the second article today where Godfrey has referred to a player's "professional career being jeopardized" by an NCAA investigation. Uh newsflash, the NFL doesn't give a crap about any player's history with the NCAA. Dez Bryant was suspended for his entire final collegiate season for lying to the NCAA, and was a first round pick. Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick after his dad admitted to taking money from boosters. Its all just anecdotal, but it also goes to show a very overly dramatic tone being thrown out by a writer with clear Ole Miss ties.

confucius say
07-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Every state fan should want him to go.

Ask yourself this, which is more believable: Mullen put LL up to lying and he fabricated all these allegations about om including money, transportation, and clothes (om didn't cheat)? Or LL is telling the truth and may not remember every detail from 2.5 years ago (om cheated to get Leo)?

Everyone knows they cheated with Leo and the coi will hear it firsthand. Then they'll see the other 11 level one violations which don't involve Leo in any way.

starkvegasdawg
07-26-2017, 10:02 PM
because their program is about to get asshammered. Anything they can get shot down using lawyer BS is worth it.

Do they really think, even if he did lie through his teeth, he's going to go before the COI and change his story? What's going to happen is he is going to answer questions like he's always done and the bears are going to get flustered and start shouting questions at him and the NCAA mods are going to pull a Negan and shut that shit down.

Dawgowar
07-26-2017, 10:02 PM
The committee has allegedly told UNM they have read the UNM response and stand on the findings (Enforcement staff's).
That implies whatever the investigators did to corroborate Leo and Kobe's stories was found sufficient - because the chief of enforcement has stated, they only submit the slam dunk offenses.
Don't assume he is being invited to a trap, he may be the nail in the proverbial coffin.

Coursesuper
07-26-2017, 10:05 PM
Like has been said this is a last shot for them, they are boned and they know it. They will do anything I mean anything to try and avoid another year of a bowl ban. If that falls, which I don't think there is any way around that, it's over for them for quite a while. That plus a 40 scholarship reduction over three years wil gut the football program.

MarketingBully
07-26-2017, 10:07 PM

So the NCAA should hammer the shit out of them so this tactic is not used in the future and it becomes unworth it. They have two important cases coming up that they need to hammer the shit out of the universities who are tied to the investigations. One is this one and the other is the UNC basketball case. Both should damn near get death penalties with the obstination and mockery those two have shown the NCAA. Otherwise IMO the NCAA will become a joke.

HSVDawg
07-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Trying this by using the media in the realm of public opinion is going to backfire.

Yeah, if they don't quit doing stuff like that, eventually someone is gonna get pissed and sue them with a crackshot legal team advised by a counterterrorism expert. Oh wait...

Jack Lambert
07-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Maybe the NCAA learn about some more info and they want to confirm it. Isn't that want Immunity is for?

SailingDawg
07-26-2017, 10:09 PM
If LL39 has even semi-competent legal representation, a FERPA suit should be slapped on Northern Miss tomorrow morning. Enough is enough, dammit.

This, all day long. Why has this question not been answered?

Dolphus Raymond
07-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Forgive my language, but I'm sick of this ****ing bullshit. Ole Miss, accept this one fact: you are damn busted. You cheated and got caught. Your bible thumping coach is a pathological liar who has wrecked the Ole Miss football program and destroyed his family. Just man-up and take your punishment.

Dawgology
07-26-2017, 10:10 PM
I don't understand this strategy. Why not just admit you did it and move on. Why do all of this bullshit? Do they think this is going to work? This strategy might result in an extra bowl ban and a steep loss of scholarships. Trying this by using the media in the realm of public opinion is going to backfire. They did it. They aren't getting railroaded. If I was Lewis, I'd go and answer the panel's questions if in fact the COI did ask him to be there. This to me is unprecedented that a university is using these tactics to reduce their possible infractions even though they did them. Freeze has been uncovered to be a big time hypocrite and liar. He was their main witness and he now has been discredited. It's just a whole bunch of bullshit if you ask me. Dumb as hell.

Because they are (as a lot) shallow and care only about their image.

HSVDawg
07-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Given that the Document was dated in May...Ole Miss Received The NCAA Response this week.... and Leo is practicing and is projected starter game 1.... I don't think we should be the least bit worried..... if it was something to be worried about, Bracky would have shut Leo down and self imposed a 2 Year Bowl ban.

Great point. It's clear to me that either Godfrey or the Ole Miss administration has been sitting on this info until it became clear this week in their response that the NCAA wasn't throwing out the SA #39 charges. With nothing left to lose, it was leaked out there as a final hurrah to try and damage Leo's credibility and indirectly intimidate him before the hearing. What they don't realize is that this is only going to hurt them even worse. The NCAA is likely already pissed that their names are out there. They definitely aren't going to be pleased about actual email correspondence on the investigation being leaked by the university.

ckDOG
07-26-2017, 10:28 PM
This sounds like the NCAA patronizing OM. Let's assume Lewis isn't clean on our side and OM knows it - hell, can prove it. No idea if that's true or not, but it doesn't matter because LL and MSU aren't on trial. Any facts outside of how it relates to the case against OM are not relevant and will not be answered even if asked. That's how immunity practically works. LL will be asked to confirm, deny, or change anything he has said to date - that's about it. The only way this ends up badly for Lewis is if he arrives and admits he lied about it all - if that's the case then he deserves whatever is coming to him. Not very likely.

Reason2succeed
07-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Leo and Kobe will probably be invited by the NCAA to do this after the COI announces their ruling
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/boomhowser_2008/My%20Videos/Video/dx.gif

Spiderman
07-26-2017, 10:35 PM

ETA: **** those Shitbirds!

Yep

Cooterpoot
07-26-2017, 10:37 PM
OM fans are ignorant pussies. They let their school lie to them and just bend over and ask for more.

Todd4State
07-26-2017, 10:47 PM
This isn't really relevant to the content, but aside from all the other obvious bullshit this is the second article today where Godfrey has referred to a player's "professional career being jeopardized" by an NCAA investigation. Uh newsflash, the NFL doesn't give a crap about any player's history with the NCAA. Dez Bryant was suspended for his entire final collegiate season for lying to the NCAA, and was a first round pick. Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick after his dad admitted to taking money from boosters. Its all just anecdotal, but it also goes to show a very overly dramatic tone being thrown out by a writer with clear Ole Miss ties.

Or Laremy Tunsil who was suspended about half the 2015 season. Who did he play for again?

HSVDawg
07-26-2017, 10:54 PM
Or Laremy Tunsil who was suspended about half the 2015 season. Who did he play for again?

Haha, touche

Bucky Dog
07-26-2017, 10:54 PM
My opinion- Leo and the RR lawsuit will go nowhere and with Kobe and Miller that is all for show and a last ditch effort to intimidate. The reason the COI is requesting LL is the cash payment by John Doe and the exact facts around the when and where and recalling the exact details. And with John Doe being a VIP they may just want to ask him one last time exactly what he believes as the truth happened.

But yeah, OM gets no cross examination, and the NCAA pretty much said their response is shit and we have enough solid evidence to keep eveyrything in there.

I've said this 100 times: Will the Shitbirds ever understand that even if this LL RR portion gets removed, YOU STILL HAVE 14 LEVEL 1 VIOLATIONS THAT HAVE ZERO TO DO WITH MSU!!!!! You are pinning your hopes that you can say one violation was a big conspiracy for th entire investigation and try to take State down in some way or discredit us. Good luck with that, and even if one thing like that is proven against us, which it won't be, we will get very small slap on the wrist compared to the ass rape you are about to endure. Please accept this and move on. ACCOUNTABILITY FORWARD REBELS!

biggun
07-27-2017, 03:08 AM

He has no choice but to go. If he doesn't go then his limited immunity will be pulled and he will quickly be ruled ineligible.

grinnindawg
07-27-2017, 06:15 AM
So he's a hostile witness in a place that doesn't have the rules of court.
Bold move Cotton, let's see how it works out for them.
Why would you do this?

Possible scenarios:
39 says "I made it all up"

or

39 "Yea, that's not consistent but the details of that weekend are fuzzy"
NCAA "Why?"
39 "Alcohol"
NCAA "How old were you?"
39 "18"
NCAA "39, do you have anything to add?" or "we've heard rumors of recruits receiving sexual favors, do you know anything about that?"
39 "a pretty lady came to my hotel room. said she was student, but she looked late 20s. said her major was 17ing."

Indndawg
07-27-2017, 07:08 AM
The committee has allegedly told UNM they have read the UNM response and stand on the findings (Enforcement staff's).
That implies whatever the investigators did to corroborate Leo and Kobe's stories was found sufficient - because the chief of enforcement has stated, they only submit the slam dunk offenses.
Don't assume he is being invited to a trap, he may be the nail in the proverbial coffin.

dotting i's and crossing t's.

UNM getting worked up for a big nothing burger.

Jarius
07-27-2017, 07:33 AM
As much as Rosebowl has been right in this investigation, he shit the bed on this. He has assured everyone that LL would not be called on to testify at this hearing. This is an article from Godfrey though so it could be BS.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-27-2017, 07:43 AM
dont click the link if you don't wanna..not sure if we are prohibited from linking sbnation stuff

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/26/15993846/leo-lewis-ncaa-ole-miss-mississippi-state-sec

Not worried...https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2017/02/08/ncaa-immunity-investigations-committee-on-infractions/97658116/

Though the NCAA has no subpoena power to compel people outside of its jurisdiction to help investigations, coaches and athletes are bound by rule to speak with the enforcement staff and risk significant penalties for not telling the truth. Duncan said offering immunity is particularly helpful with athletes who might be fearful that they would incriminate themselves in violations.

?Our desire is never to focus on student-athlete culpability,? Duncan said. ?In enforcement, our broader desire is to zero in and focus on the adult culpability, the grown-ups who are involved in violations, and one way to substantiate information or to get refuting information is to talk to the student-athletes or prospective student-athletes, particularly in our focus areas of recruiting and academic integrity.

?It is effective to help encourage that young man or young woman to cooperate with us if he or she knows they?ll be eligible to play and won?t be cited for a violation of the infractions process.?

Duncan cautioned, however, that the NCAA enforcement staff doesn?t ?have a pad of paper with immunity on it we can pass out to kids? and can?t, by rule, use it as a fishing expedition to look for violations. In fact, any immunity offer must first be approved by the NCAA Committee on Infractions chairman based on a specific request by enforcement.

?We have to make a case to them for why each individual ? occasionally it's grown-ups ? should get immunity, how it will affect the investigation and why it?s needed,? Duncan said. ?Then we take that and share it with the young man or young woman and their lawyer. Is it effective? We believe we get credible information in exchange for immunity in most cases, but we always have to be discerning consumers of information. Whether it?s in exchange for immunity or not, we always test the information we get.?

Really Clark?
07-27-2017, 07:56 AM
As much as Rosebowl has been right in this investigation, he shit the bed on this. He has assured everyone that LL would not be called on to testify at this hearing. This is an article from Godfrey though so it could be BS.

You have to give a lot people a pass on missing that. There is Bylaw that actually states that they do not call witnesses to the COI hearing. Going by that bylaw, which most have, he was right. But as an immunity witness, there is second guideline that states that an immunity witness can be requested to appear. Many did not know or missed that secondary point that's not as well known.

Liverpooldawg
07-27-2017, 07:58 AM

If they keep leaking student names someone is going to jail.

Martianlander
07-27-2017, 08:02 AM
As some have stated, this is not a court of law. More like a Congressional hearing as I understand it. The NCAA will only be asking questions they have the answer to already. Unm should not get a chance to "cross examine". I imagine the NCAA wants to put this in the record so unm won't have any justification to complain, which they will anyway and the Mississippi press sheep will go with their story line, but that's another thread.

Political Hack
07-27-2017, 08:22 AM
Having him sit there and tell the COI in person how Ole Miss boosters paid him is not a good thing for Ole Miss. they're seriously dumb as hell. This is an awful, awful game plan. They can't get out of their own way. It's hysterical. When you think they can't make this any worse, they go out and pull another dumb arse trump card that's more likely to backfire than help them.

The best thing they could've done is put doubt in the COI's mind. With Leo sitting in front of them, they're going to hear first hand information about how Ole Miss cheated. Maybe OM is truly going scortched earth and wants the COI to ask about State's recruitment of him since they know they're going to fry??? That's the only possible angle here because having him there to testify against OM, and explain how an OM booster is now suing him, isn't going to end well for OM.

Coach007
07-27-2017, 08:34 AM

And this was suppose to be a huge bomb?? LMAO!!!

MedDawg
07-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Here's how it will go down:

LL in front of COI committee, no OM people present....
COI: "Mr. Lewis, did you tell the truth in your earlier statements to the NCAA?"
LL: "Yes, sir."
COI: "You may go."
LL walks out and smiles at the OM team as they walk in.

OM team presents its case...
OM:"We demand under section xxx that we cross-examine Mr. LL!"
COI: "Demand denied."
OM: "We'll see you in court! You'll rue the day!"
(COI chairman frowns, then crosses out 3 bowl ban years and writes in 4.)

Bully13
07-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Exactly! Since the NCAA has apparently rejected unm response to the NOA's "in full" it's obvious they don't believe Leo is lying or inconsistent or any of the other gaziliion SA's that have given evidence for that matter.

to me , the NCAA'S "rejection in full" of ole miss' response tells me all I need to know on this. good point commerce.

BB30
07-27-2017, 09:18 AM
I personally cannot wait for the Egg Bowl. Lewis is going to murder someone on the football field. As stated, the NCAA is just going to use this as the final nail in the coffin. Have him there, answer the questions and move on.

Outside Dawg
07-27-2017, 09:21 AM
is Jones going also? Will they presumably have their legal representation also present, given that I would assume any testimony is discoverable in the other legal issues? Who else would be present in such a situation, Bracky? an MSU lawyer?

Reason2succeed
07-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Here's how it will go down:

LL in front of COI committee, no OM people present....
COI: "Mr. Lewis, did you tell the truth in your earlier statements to the NCAA?"
LL: "Yes, sir."
COI: "Is there anything that you would like to add or subtract from your previous statements."
LL: "No, I told it all but now the store I got the close from is trying to sue me and Kobe. Also someone leaked my name all over the Internet."
COI: "We've heard. Thank you. You may go."
LL walks out and smiles at the OM team as they walk in.

OM team presents its case...
OM:"We demand under section xxx that we cross-examine Mr. LL!"
COI: "Hugh Freeze was XXX and he was escorted off your campus I hear.Demand denied."
OM: "We'll see you in court! You'll rue the day!"
(COI chairman frowns, then crosses out 3 bowl ban years and writes in 4.)

Seriously I work for an organization that will often hear the absurd complaints of the obviously guilty just so that they have on record that they didn't ignore their petition. OM has hung it's hat on "Leo lied" so the NCAA will call him in and ask him again. When it's over the OM fanbase will still believe a huge conspiracy to take them down but the public will see that the NCAA reviewed everything before dropping the hammer. And there will be a hammer.

Political Hack
07-27-2017, 10:00 AM
When the COI ask "are you telling the truth?" and LL says "yes," the next question will be: "did an Ole Miss booster #X file a law suit against you and try to force you to recant your story?" And again, the answer will be "yes."

"Mr. investigator, do you believe Mr. Lewis's testimony to be credible?"

"Yes, and we have corroborated the details of his testimony with the testimony of nearly a dozen other witnesses."

"ok, thank you for coming to Indy Mr. Lewis."

ETA: him having to appear may actually push the hearing until after the season. That's the only possible benefit I see for OM in this.

confucius say
07-27-2017, 10:04 AM
You have to give a lot people a pass on missing that. There is Bylaw that actually states that they do not call witnesses to the COI hearing. Going by that bylaw, which most have, he was right. But as an immunity witness, there is second guideline that states that an immunity witness can be requested to appear. Many did not know or missed that secondary point that's not as well known.

Which is why I made the important distinction between being summoned (as a witness to testify and be cross examined) and being requested.

confucius say
07-27-2017, 10:11 AM
He has no choice but to go. If he doesn't go then his limited immunity will be pulled and he will quickly be ruled ineligible.

The distinction bt summoned and requested is more about his purpose and role there, not about whether he has to go or not.

The bylaws state witnesses are not summoned to give testimony. His only role, during the investigative process and in front of COI, is as a limited immunity witness providing corroborating information.

AlmostPositive
07-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Clearly the NCAA has had a change of heart. Their goal now is to undo all their findings from the last half decade and give credence to a last gasp Ole Miss fantasy. OM's Perry Mason moment is only weeks away... across the board vindication, with Mullen and Rosebowl sharing a cell by New Year's Day.

Commercecomet24
07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm absolutely positive the NCAA is requesting LL to be there so they can unmask him and the evil emperor Dan as conspirators In A scheme to destroy unm. Yes they are calling him there so they can throw away years of investigative work and millions of dollars of NCAA money. Yes that's the reasons and the bears will be completely exonerated and we will get the death penalty. Yeah that sounds logical and rational*****

DancingRabbit
07-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Shouldn't the other 48 SA's get a free trip to Indy? I wouldn't want it to look like MSU was getting special treatment.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Who leaked the email to SBNation?