PDA

View Full Version : Quick fix U

PassInterference
07-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Great point on Bo Bounds this morning. Ole Miss has an identity crisis. Over 65 guy who controls the booster money and pushes the direction still thinks its 1965. They think they are Alabama. They think a quick fix here or there and they're playing for a natty. They've thought this for decades.

The average tenure for an Ole Miss coach the last 25 years has been 4 years.

The last time an Ole Miss signed a QB out of high school who went on to be the guy was about 20 years ago when they signed Eli Manning. Let that sink in. Not since Eli Manning, as Ole Miss gone out and signed a QB who was their regular starter at QB (obviously, this probably changes this year with Shea Patterson).

For more than 2 decades, Ole Miss has been all quick fixes, juco QBs, transfer QBs, ACT fraud, loaner cars, 21-violation flash, etc quick fixes to get them over that hump to 1965 era glory.

Barrett Sallee was right (by accident) when he said "Ole Miss is not going anywhere". That's absolutely correct. They aren't going anywhere until they recognize who they are and build around it.

You can't build a road if you don't know where its supposed to start.

SailingDawg
07-26-2017, 11:39 AM

And it's a bad break up each time.

TrapGame
07-26-2017, 11:57 AM
It's who they are. They will never change. It's all about the frosting, never the cake.

Johnson85
07-26-2017, 12:27 PM

How far off the norm is that though? It's pretty amazing that they average what is generally the length of the first contract offered, but I'm guessing it's not that far off from other schools that are not more successful? I'm guessing most teams basically have the same track record, except they have one or two coaches that skews the record upwards by lasting 8-10 years? And they had two guys that should have filled that role for them, one getting poached by Auburn and them firing one.

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2017, 01:00 PM
How far off the norm is that though? It's pretty amazing that they average what is generally the length of the first contract offered, but I'm guessing it's not that far off from other schools that are not more successful? I'm guessing most teams basically have the same track record, except they have one or two coaches that skews the record upwards by lasting 8-10 years? And they had two guys that should have filled that role for them, one getting poached by Auburn and them firing one.

Last 4 coaches at SEC Schools - avg tenure:

MSU - 6.5 years
Bama - 5.25
AU - 6.25
Ark - 5
UF - 4
UGA - 7.25
KY - 4.25
LSU - 6.25
OM - 4
Mizzou - 7.25
TAMU - 7.25
TN - 6.25
USC - 6
Vandy - 4

Overall SEC Average tenure is 5.39 - this does not include single game interims or 2017 1st year coaches.

Only Vandy, OM, and UF average 4 year tenures. KY eeks out a 4.25