PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt's transcription of our 4th Q offensive plays vs AU

FlabLoser
09-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Play calling could have been better, but I agree our execution was a bigger problem than our play calling. Coachcamp said the same thing, BTW.

Our OL choked, our WRs choked, our QB choked. Not all at the same time. They took turns on every possession.

From 247

There's been much debate about the 4th quarter play calling, and rightfully so because that's when the offense stalled. Here are the 4th quarter offensive plays:

Possession 1, 15:00, MS 9
1 & 10, QB run, +2 gain (clock moving)
2 & 8 , QB check at LOS, play action pass, pocket collapse, Dak gets back to LOS
* AU rushed only 4
* Personal Foul, Day
3 & 13, Perkins run, +12 1/2 gain (1/2 yard short) = punt

Possession 2, after INT, 12:38, MS 48
1/10, 3 wide, play action throw, comeback open, Dak throws short, incomplete
2/10, 3 wide, Holloway sweep, +7 gain
3/3, 4 wide, complete to Perkins, steps out of bounds, +1 gain
4/2, Empty, Prescott run, first down at AU 32 10:45

1/10 False Start
1/15 Time Out (alignment confusion Prescott, Chappelle, Ross, Wilson)
1/15 3 wide, zone-read, QB keep +2 gain
2/13 3 wide, motion to empty, QB draw 0 gain (penetration)
3/13 (9:00 remaining) 3 wide, Incomplete to Lewis across marker (open vs zone, great protection, shoulda/coulda) = punt

Possession 3, 6:10, MS 20
1/10 4 wide, fake wide zone, QB keep, +1 gain (clock moving)
2/9 motion to empty, 10yd comeback to Morrow, covered batted away (stops clock at 5:30)
3/9 time out
3/9 4 wide, blitz, complete to Lewis, 8+ gain, (need 9)
4/1 (4:30) empty, Prescott draw +5 gain = first down

1/10 @ MS 32
1/10 4 wide "stack", play action screen to RoJo covered, Prescott pulls down and makes +1 gain
2/9 3 wide, motion Holloway to "sweep" look, give to Perkins instead, +4 gain
3/5 (2:50) 3 wide, motion Lewis in backfield and fake to him, QB keep +3 1/2 gain (1 1/2 yard short)
Punt with less than 2:30 remaining

17 offensive plays run in 4th quarter
10 run
7 pass (two ball was not thrown, went 2 for 5 otherwise)
* three incompletes were: drop by Lewis for first down in AU territory, under thrown comeback by Dak, and batted down out route to Morrow

Summery: given the situation nursing a lead in the fourth quarter, I'm okay with more runs than passes A) given the previous success running the ball, and B) it gets the clock moving.

Like I said in my column, another wide run or two from Holloway or Lewis might've been the answer in hindsight... "hindsight" being the key term. (preface: I'd be a millionaire if I could go back to 21 yrs old, given my excellent hindsight)

Other than that, the biggest issue to me appears the lack of composure the offense showed in the 4th quarter, i.e. personal foul, two protection break downs vs 4-man rush, dropped 1st down, miss an open guy, false start at the AU 32, subsequent burned time-out can't get freshmen lined up, and THREE times coming up 1 yard short of the marker.

Anyone that says "play calling" in general was the biggest 4th quarter problem is speaking from emotion and not looking closely enough.

Political Hack
09-17-2013, 01:33 PM
glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

SignalToNoise
09-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Prescott and the WRs should get better as the season goes. OL breakdowns on four man rush shouldn't happen but sometimes the DL just sacks up and makes a big push.

If these guys progress things could look very different come November.

maroonmania
09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
1/10 False Start
1/15 Time Out (alignment confusion Prescott, Chappelle, Ross, Wilson)
1/15 3 wide, zone-read, QB keep +2 gain
2/13 3 wide, motion to empty, QB draw 0 gain (penetration)
3/13 (9:00 remaining) 3 wide, Incomplete to Lewis across marker (open vs zone, great protection, shoulda/coulda) = punt

The above is only major problem I had with playcalling. We are sitting after the INT at the Auburn 37 so you are flexible to run WHATEVER you want, without having to be all that worried about a turnover deep in your territory, with a 1st and 15 due to a stupid illegal procedure and we run 2 straight QB draws up the middle for a combined 2 yards. So we essentially gave ourselves one chance at making the first down on the 3rd down play but Lewis can't hold onto the ball. Now I will say on the 1st and 15 if Dak had given Perk the ball going wide instead of pulling it back in to go up the middle Perk had all kinds of daylight so maybe that was just a bad read by the QB and not really a bad play call. But anyway THAT was the time to do something Auburn was completely unprepared for not the time to call 2 runs up the middle.

SPMT
09-17-2013, 03:20 PM
We are predictable on long yardage situations. We are going to run a draw 90% of the time.

I also disagree with the 3/3 call where we throw to Perkins and he gets 1 yard.

Can we insert a quick slant in our pass plays? I can't recall ever having seen us throw one. They are great on short yardage and goal line and when they are playing off man.