PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Hodges announcing tomorrow

bostondawg
07-24-2017, 08:22 PM
UPDATE: Hodges chooses Pitt, per his own twitter account.

Texas grad transfer OL Brandon Hodges will be announcing tomorrow where he intends to transfer. Many of us have been keeping decent tabs on this. Could help the team tremendously.

If his mentions (@BHoD_31) are any indication, the fan bases that are after him the most are us and Pitt.

From the Texas athletics site on Hodges
Redshirt Junior (2016):
Played in 11 games and started nine ... made starts against Notre Dame, UTEP, Cal, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas and TCU ... made his first career start in the home opener versus No.10 Notre Dame and helped the offense to 50 points and 517 total yards ... started against UTEP ... started his third consecutive game to begin the season at California ... paved the way for the offense to register a season-high 567 yards on 90 plays in a week three loss at Cal ... rushing attack totaled 307 yards and four touchdowns ... each running back went over 100 yards in the game ... passing attack had 261 yards and a score ... Longhorns offense once again registered 568 total yards at Oklahoma State ... UT had a season-high 339 yards on the ground and had two running backs over 100 yards for the second straight game ... started against Oklahoma and helped the offense to 245 passing yards and 180 rushing yards ... scored 40 points for the fourth time in five games ... at Kansas State, offense recorded 344 total yards ... in a 45-37 road victory at Texas Tech, paved the way for the offense to record 658 yards, the sixth-most in a single-game in school history ... led the way to 414 rushing yards, including 341 (third-most in school history) by running back D'Onta Foreman ... helped Foreman average 10.3 yards per carry and UT to average 8.3 yards per carry as a team ... led the way for D'Onta Foreman's 11th straight 100-yard game ... offense totaled 536 yards against No. 11/10 West Virginia, breaking the school record with their seventh game of 500 yards or more ... paved the way for D'Onta Foreman's third 250-yard game on Saturday at Kansas ... helped the offense total 407 yards against TCU in the regular season finale.

preachermatt83
07-24-2017, 08:31 PM
HailState

lamont
07-24-2017, 08:35 PM
We need this guy. Would be huge

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2017, 08:36 PM
If we get Hodges, we are only a few players & Grantham clicking this year from being a damn good football team.

bostondawg
07-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Adding to the chorus: he would be a huge addition to the team. We're young/unproven at RT.

Anyone got a decent grasp on our OL depth chart? I get the impression starters would be:
LT-Rankin
LG-?? Maybe Michael Story or Deon Calhoun
C-Elgton Jenkins (I feel like I read that)
RG-Daryl Williams
RT-?? Oh boy. Stewart Reese (young but promising) or Greg Eiland

That RT spot is a big question mark.

Ari Gold
07-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Adding to the chorus: he would be a huge addition to the team. We're young/unproven at RT.

Anyone got a decent grasp on our OL depth chart? I get the impression starters would be:
RT-Rankin
RG-?? Maybe Michael Story or Deon Calhoun
C-Elgton Jenkins (I feel like I read that)
LG-Daryl Williams
RT-?? Oh boy. Stewart Reese (young but promising) or Greg Eiland

That RT spot is a big question mark.

Calhoun will start. Story and Williams will battle for the other guard spot
And you can go ahead and pencil Hodges in at RT.. but yes from all the reports Reese will be a very good one.

Bothrops
07-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Will be a huge get!

bostondawg
07-24-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks Ari. Good info.

I really think this could be a solid OL unit.

BeardoMSU
07-24-2017, 08:51 PM
How many wins could this guy's addition potentially equate to?

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2017, 09:02 PM

I'll bite

I think out of the games vs Auburn, Georgia, Arkansas, A&M, & LSU, you may win 1 more than you would have without him.

Still losing to Bama, & probably at least 2 of Auburn, Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, & A&M.

Additionally, adding him likely helps lower the chance that Kentucky, OM, or BYU beat us.

If Hodges is solid & reliable for us, I could see us winning 8 maybe 9 games.

So, to answer you question, I think this equates to 1-1.5 wins

bostondawg
07-24-2017, 09:02 PM

Not sure how this would translate to wins, but this is my total speculation on the line as it would rank in the SEC. Bear in mind that I'm a complete idiot as well.

Without Hodges:
We all love Rankin, he'll be a pick this year. Jenkins plays nasty. Two good players. The other 3 are meh. But I think Calhoun turns in a decent performance at LG, and Daryl Williams sees his potential at RG. They turn in two solid performances. At RT we have a gaping black hole. Reese is still too young, although he will be good. Eiland is an unknown. We rank 10th-11th/14 in the SEC as an OL unit.

With Hodges:
He starts immediately at RT, bolstering us at the position I'm most worried about. I think we turn into the 6th best OL unit in the SEC. With a dynamic rushing attack like ours, that jump from 10/11 to 6 is enormous.

Also, I live in Cambridge too. Nice.

Tripp McNeely
07-24-2017, 09:04 PM
Calhoun will start. Story and Williams will battle for the other guard spot
And you can go ahead and pencil Hodges in at RT.. but yes from all the reports Reese will be a very good one.

Would they bump Stewart back to the undecided OG position if they get Hodges?

lamont
07-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Would they bump Stewart back to the undecided OG position if they get Hodges?

Great question- because Reese by November is a better player than Stewart or Williams. But it still leaves us with no back-up OT's worth a shit if we move him

Jack Lambert
07-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Great question- because Reese by November is a better player than Stewart or Williams. But it still leaves us with no back-up OT's worth a shit if we move him

I thought Hev's process was to cross train all the lineman so they would have multiple back ups.

bostondawg
07-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Here's the full replay of Texas vs. Notre Dame for last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUC14tsAu7U

Hodges starts at RT. Watch a few series. Guy had a great game. He looks awesome out there; would definitely make us much better.

Jack Lambert
07-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Here's the full replay of Texas vs. Notre Dame for last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUC14tsAu7U

Hodges starts at RT. Watch a few series. Guy had a great game. He looks awesome out there; would definitely make us much better.
He's number 58. Does look good.

Dolphus Raymond
07-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Updates?

bostondawg
07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Updates?

I haven't seen anything yet. I don't think there was ever a time set for when he would announce. Just some time today.

Ari Gold
07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Pitt. Following his coach there . Obviously the closet to him wasn't that big a factor

JimmyMcNulty
07-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Some folks on 247 saying it's Pitt. SMH what a buzzkill if true. Damn

msbulldog
07-25-2017, 12:42 PM
If we get him gives us more depth, and we are thin now.

Dallas_Dawg
07-25-2017, 12:43 PM
That ****ing blows. Big time. Losing a MS kid to Pitt? At a position of need?
Thanks Hev, you suck.
I guess we have a spot for Greg Little now***

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Yeah. Hev's recruiting model is going to chase a lot of talent away. I know he got Dak and Fitz but those are more exceptions then the rule. His recruiting tactics in basketball would lead us to Rick Ray type talent. He might be a good developer but he is a shit ass recruiter.

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2017, 12:47 PM
It would be nice to catch one damn break at some point on thses type of things.

First Wiggens and now hodgeS. Ridiculous

msstate7
07-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Oh well. Definetely sucks for this year, but Reese playing tackle helps us for next season..

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Which reminds me. The way Mullen and Hev recruit we won't be getting much better talent then we have now if you guys are expecting it with Ole Miss's troubles. What this means is the instate talent that would have gone to Ole Miss will more then likely go to Alabama and LSU. See Cam Akers and Florida State as an example. Coach Cann and Coach Howland in baseball and basketball are just much much better recruiters then Coach Mullen. They just are. Doesn't mean Coach Mullen's system can't work here which it does. It's just the plain truth.

Reason2succeed
07-25-2017, 12:54 PM
On the right side we have an AD that will hold Mullen's feet to the fire concerning things like this? These failures highlight the issues that need to be resolved. It really is inexcusable to miss out on a guy from the Golden Triangle.

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 01:01 PM
On the right side we have an AD that will hold Mullen's feet to the fire concerning things like this? These failures highlight the issues that need to be resolved. It really is inexcusable to miss out on a guy from the Golden Triangle.

What can we do? He is a great coach but he can rub people the wrong way (Mullen). You add in Hev and you have a one two punch that can be very difficult to get certain types of players. Now some might say do we need these players anyway and that is debatable. The truth of the matter is a no nonsense, you're going to work for everything when you get here approach to recruiting does not work for many players and is why we lose in recruiting IMO.

confucius say
07-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Uh no. Cohen is not making Mullen fire Hevesy.

fader2103
07-25-2017, 01:03 PM
I wasn't getting my hopes up, so I am no to terribly disappointed

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Uh no. Cohen is not making Mullen fire Hevesy.

Yeah, as long as Mullen keeps going to bowl games, I don't think anything will happen. Really our best QB recruiting tool has been Dak not Mullen or Hev. People love Dak.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Lol so it's Hev fault we lost him but we were gonna give DJ the credit if he came? Got it

confucius say
07-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Lol so it's Hev fault we lost him but we were gonna give DJ the credit if he came? Got it

Correct.

SailingDawg
07-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Pitt

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Pitt

Yep. And Scott Lashley rather sit on the third or fourth string at Alabama then start as a redshirt freshman this year...

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 01:15 PM

He's not living down losing Scott Lashley nor should he.

JimmyMcNulty
07-25-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm sure we didn't blow smoke up his ass and tell him flat out the job would be his but I bet Pitt is

confucius say
07-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Yep. And Scott Lashley rather sit on the third or fourth string at Alabama then start as a redshirt freshman this year...

If lashley thought/knew those were the options he would have chosen us

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 01:20 PM
If lashley thought/knew those were the options he would have chosen us

The coach who recruited him and told him he is the next Cam Robinson is no longer there. That's recruing though. Not only that but they had two five stars at his same position in that same class. That's recruiting.

Percho
07-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Did anyone get fired over SL?

MetEdDawg
07-25-2017, 01:22 PM
I'm sure we didn't blow smoke up his ass and tell him flat out the job would be his but I bet Pitt is

Lot of people on here don't like us telling these types of kids that, but then get mad when we don't get them. Not sure what reasonable person would expect a kid to go to a school for 1-2 years and not be expected to get a playing time guarantee.

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Did anyone get fired over SL?

No but I think Hev got reassigned over the golden triangle shit show that year.

confucius say
07-25-2017, 01:23 PM
The coach who recruited him and told him he is the next Cam Robinson is no longer there. That's recruing though. Not only that but they had two five stars at his same position in that same class. That's recruiting.

Exactly. If lashley ends up never playing at Bama, he has nobody to blame but himself. The scenarios were laid out clearly for him.

Percho
07-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Maybe some should learn how to draw lines between dots and quit blaming the staff. There is a reason scum is in trouble.

Percho
07-25-2017, 01:24 PM

No one at any school?

Bully13
07-25-2017, 01:25 PM
this shit gets SO 17ing old with missing OL'S .

my question is if it's NOT Hev's fault, who the 17's fault is it? a MS kid to PITT?

civildawg
07-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Maybe some should learn how to draw lines between dots and quit blaming the staff. There is a reason scum is in trouble.

So that's going to be our excuse every time we miss out on a recruit? Bottom line is we needed the kid and our staff didnt close.

Bully13
07-25-2017, 01:28 PM

17 that. this has become a recurring pattern. and until someone gets sick and 17ing tired of it , the shit will continue. there's no 17ing excuse for it to continue happening time after time.

Reason2succeed
07-25-2017, 01:35 PM
I thought people felt good about it yesterday. What happened? Why?

I will reiterate my point from the "should we invite AJ back" thread. In the long term one year rentals are detrimental to the team anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
He's not living down losing Scott Lashley nor should he.

This applies to Brandon Hodges in what way?

thf24
07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
No one should be surprised about this, or any time we lose out on an impact grad transfer. By nature, a grad transfer is almost certainly looking for a guaranteed starting spot. Our standard recruiting pitch, which we don't appear ever to deviate from, is incompatible. Not saying that's an excuse; it simply is what it is. I'm never going to get my hopes up about a potential impact grad transfer no matter how good the news is.

HSVDawg
07-25-2017, 01:37 PM

FYI, Lashley was running 2nd string at LT and was considered to be in the conversation to start at RT during this past spring. He's mentioned very favorably by all the Bama radio talking heads. He could very well be a factor even at Bama very soon. And yes, that makes it even worse that we couldn't land him. But all these folks saying he is gonna sit on the bench for 4 years haven't been paying attention at all.

Pollodawg
07-25-2017, 01:39 PM
What kind of immediate impact would he have even had? Everything these past few weeks has come up State, but we have to bitch about something I guess. Not like we start practice tonight and the season looks to be promising. Not like our arch rivals are in the tank.....

Cooterpoot
07-25-2017, 01:46 PM
He simply went where his old coach went.

NCDawg
07-25-2017, 02:01 PM

my question is if it's NOT Hev's fault, who the 17's fault is it? a MS kid to PITT?

Not the first time it's happened. Remember back in the 70's when a no-good, son of a gun by the name of Jackie Sherrill came down from Pitt and signed 2 of Bob Tyler's prize recruits by the name of Hugh Greene and Rooster Jones. Really hurt our team. Greene was a runner-up Heisman candidate.
Back to Hodges, he probably asked, "who coaches the OL at MS State and who coaches the OL at Pitt"?. Then he probably said, "think I'll take Pitt". Maybe one of these days Mullen will realize we are never going to be a real good football team until we can get a good OL coach who can recruit and coach the OL.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2017, 02:02 PM
No one should be surprised about this, or any time we lose out on an impact grad transfer. By nature, a grad transfer is almost certainly looking for a guaranteed starting spot. Our standard recruiting pitch, which we don't appear ever to deviate from, is incompatible. Not saying that's an excuse; it simply is what it is. I'm never going to get my hopes up about a potential impact grad transfer no matter how good the news is.

Yep, Fool me once...but this one seemed like a no brainer- Aberdeen, Emcc, SMH.

Just a reminder Hev makes over 400k per year.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Not that Hev doesn't deserve plenty of blame for plenty of things but this recruitment was pretty much all DJ's. Blaming Hev now is just a reactionary function. If he signed with us it wouldn't have been good job Hev it would've been thank God for DJ. It sucks to lose the kid though.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Not that Hev doesn't deserve plenty of blame for plenty of things but this recruitment was pretty much all DJ's. Blaming Hev now is just a reactionary function. If he signed with us it wouldn't have been good job Hev it would've been thank God for DJ. It sucks to lose the kid though.

The Oline coach is always going to be a major factor with a Oline recruit. Surely you know this. I'm sick of missing on Oline men and WRs. Especially when they are gift wrapped like Hodges was.

bostondawg
07-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Hodges is a solid loss. Our inability to recruit OL in his really, really holding us back. This absolutely has to be fixed. It's a very tiring theme.

As someone pointed out, this will make Reese better for next year, which should be our year. But we have to have people step up on the line this year, or we're gonna be toast up front.

Really hoping someone at practice can give us some updates on the OL situation--it's not something we hear a lot about, but that group is going to be so important this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 02:09 PM
The Oline coach is always going to be a major factor with a Oline recruit. Surely you know this. I'm sick of missing on Oline men and WRs. Especially when they are gift wrapped like Hodges was.

I wasn't saying he wasn't but in this particular case it was 90% DJ. Now you can argue that the 10% Hev is what sent him to Pitt. At any rate the kid isn't here.

Bully13
07-25-2017, 02:11 PM

did Hodge visit us and Pitt prior to his decision? just curious.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2017, 02:13 PM
I wasn't saying he wasn't but in this particular case it was 90% DJ. Now you can argue that the 10% Hev is what sent him to Pitt. At any rate the kid isn't here.

There's no way to know the percentages. I can say it was 100% Hev and u can't prove me wrong. Regardless I'm tired of the excuses and I'm tired of people defending Hev.

Dawgology
07-25-2017, 02:13 PM

I'm NOT a Hev fan. At least not on the recruiting trail....but...the loss of SL was not on Hev. That whole family was ALL BULLDOG up until a few days out. I know this FIRST HAND. You can go figure what changed their minds at the la$t second.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 02:16 PM
did Hodge visit us and Pitt prior to his decision? just curious.

Yea visited both

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 02:17 PM
There's no way to know the percentages. I can say it was 100% Hev and u can't prove me wrong. Regardless I'm tired of the excuses and I'm tired of people defending Hev.

Again I'm just telling you what I know on the subject wasn't trying to change your mind or make excuses for Hev. Just offering info.

Bothrops
07-25-2017, 02:21 PM
To beat teams like Bama, and LSU, you have to recruit WR's, QB's, and the OL. Well..we're good for 1/3. Sorry but expect similar results when the clock zero's out.

1bigdawg
07-25-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm NOT a Hev fan. At least not on the recruiting trail....but...the loss of SL was not on Hev. That whole family was ALL BULLDOG up until a few days out. I know this FIRST HAND. You can go figure what changed their minds at the la$t second.

While I often believe things like this, I do not believe Pitt was throwing $$s at a grad transfer who might play for one year.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Again I'm just telling you what I know on the subject wasn't trying to change your mind or make excuses for Hev. Just offering info.

I appreciate the info and I'm not trying to pick on you but u were pretty confident on Hodges so you might have bad info.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2017, 02:34 PM
While I often believe things like this, I do not believe Pitt was throwing $$s at a grad transfer who might play for one year.

Agree, that's a BS excuse. Although this Ole Miss stuff might force us to be even more cautious.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-25-2017, 02:34 PM
I appreciate the info and I'm not trying to pick on you but u were pretty confident on Hodges so you might have bad info.

Lol definitely did. Like seemingly everyone I talked to. I don't think there was anyone associated with MSU that didn't think Hodges was ours esp when he didn't visit LSU this past weekend. It happens I don't bat 1.000% but I'll let you know what I have & what I've heard.

AROB44
07-25-2017, 02:38 PM

So very true....rep given!!!

Bully13
07-25-2017, 02:42 PM

thanks for the reminder on that one . there is no doubt bamer cheated their ass off on that deal. It's pretty evident there are some lines we are just not going to cross.

Bothrops
07-25-2017, 02:42 PM
This is a shock, but what's done is done.

Bothrops
07-25-2017, 02:45 PM
thanks for the reminder on that one . there is no doubt bamer cheated their ass off on that deal. It's pretty evident there are some lines we are just not going to cross.

Yep, and there's also nothing that can be done with them.

NCDawg
07-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Yep, and there's also nothing that can be done with them.

Right. Alabama cheats and doesn't get caught. We aren't going to cross that line, because if we did, we'd sure as heck get caught. So, it continues with no end in sight. Alabama keeps winning and keeps us from getting to Atlanta.

Todd4State
07-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Sooner or later Dan needs to do something about Hevesy. Why were we going after a grad transfer in the first place? Because Hevesy failed in recruiting 3-5 years ago. It's not just this- we have a possibility of having only one high school offensive lineman from our 2017 class coming in and that is simply unacceptable. This is why Sallach was pissed off. Stuff like this. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that we are moving our best left guard to center because someone couldn't recruit one.

Every band aid for Hevesy hasn't worked and there are no more options other than to give him a desk job.

Todd4State
07-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Right. Alabama cheats and doesn't get caught. We aren't going to cross that line, because if we did, we'd sure as heck get caught. So, it continues with no end in sight. Alabama keeps winning and keeps us from getting to Atlanta.

Can we get an offensive line coach that can actually just do his job and try to recruit legally first? This isn't a getting outbid issue. It's a someone doesn't want to recruit issue and it's gone on too long issue.

trob115
07-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Hev should've been gone last year.

NCDawg
07-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Hev should've been gone last year.

Should have been gone long before last year.

bostondawg
07-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Was Scott Sallach part of the "country club?"

As in, should him leaving indicate that Mullen (or possibly Cohen) is starting to have real expectations for coaches' recruiting outcomes?

Todd4State
07-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Was Scott Sallach part of the "country club?"

As in, should him leaving indicate that Mullen (or possibly Cohen) is starting to have real expectations for coaches' recruiting outcomes?

Yes Sallach was in the country club and he should have been demoted awhile back too.

Goldendawg
07-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Agree totally with the point made by Todd4State. We should never be in the position of "badly needing " a Grad Transfer to immediately plug in as a starter at his position at this point in Coach Mullen's building of our program. OL and WR issues have been building for years and a pass given to some coaches in their recruiting results for several years. That we even needed a plug-in is an insult to the players already at State in some ways. Maybe to add depth is acceptable at this point, but years of poor recruiting by some coaches in not acceptable at all. You cannot depend on a developmental results at all positions, every coach has to succeed in recruiting as well as coaching his position. Hail State!

MarketingBully
07-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Lol definitely did. Like seemingly everyone I talked to. I don't think there was anyone associated with MSU that didn't think Hodges was ours esp when he didn't visit LSU this past weekend. It happens I don't bat 1.000% but I'll let you know what I have & what I've heard.

You're great IYOK! I love your info even if you do roast me here and on 247 from time to time. ;)

TimberBeast
07-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Sooner or later Dan needs to do something about Hevesy. Why were we going after a grad transfer in the first place? Because Hevesy failed in recruiting 3-5 years ago. It's not just this- we have a possibility of having only one high school offensive lineman from our 2017 class coming in and that is simply unacceptable. This is why Sallach was pissed off. Stuff like this. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that we are moving our best left guard to center because someone couldn't recruit one.

Every band aid for Hevesy hasn't worked and there are no more options other than to give him a desk job.

This is exactly right, and it's one example of Mullen not being able to get out of his own way to be as successful as we can possibly be.

Johnson85
07-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Well, that's the benefit of the doubt he's earned when we are relying on a stop gap measure to fill out the O-Line for how many times now?

In 2011, had to convert a DT to starting OT when he was a senior. Had notice from the day he stepped onto campus in 2009 that he had two years to find a LT, and he couldn't even find a passable JUCO guy to plug in.

In 2015, we put Dak at risk his senior season because we were reliant on a RS freshman that wasn't ready at LT.

In 2016, the season was derailed before it is even started in part because of a POS offensive line, that sadly enough had the potential to be pretty solid.

Now in 2017, if we don't have another RS Freshman ready to step up at RT, we are going to be 17ed.

And it's not he's balancing good years with bad; outside of 2014, his OL have been the weak link or one of the weak links on every team since 2011.

It's possible that Hev is the unluckiest guy in the world (other than the part where he gest paid $400k without showing results in recruiting), but I think most people are going to take the simplest explanation that he just isn't doing his job.

GreenheadDawg
07-25-2017, 05:19 PM
This gets so ****ing old. why I still get mad at losing OL I don't know.

lamont
07-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Hev's new nickname has to be The Closer

bostondawg
07-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Hev's new nickname has to be The Closer

The Mariano Rivera of recruiting***

CadaverDawg
07-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Hahaha I've been telling y'all for 4 years not to get your hopes up on OL commits. Hevesy should never get another cup of coffee in his life, Bc coffee is for closers.

I'm still crossing my fingers we hang on to K Johnson, Bc Bama and others want him and our hopes hinge on Hev hanging on to this kid for 7 more months!

NCDawg
07-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Well, that's the benefit of the doubt he's earned when we are relying on a stop gap measure to fill out the O-Line for how many times now?

In 2011, had to convert a DT to starting OT when he was a senior. Had notice from the day he stepped onto campus in 2009 that he had two years to find a LT, and he couldn't even find a passable JUCO guy to plug in.

In 2015, we put Dak at risk his senior season because we were reliant on a RS freshman that wasn't ready at LT.

In 2016, the season was derailed before it is even started in part because of a POS offensive line, that sadly enough had the potential to be pretty solid.

Now in 2017, if we don't have another RS Freshman ready to step up at RT, we are going to be 17ed.

And it's not he's balancing good years with bad; outside of 2014, his OL have been the weak link or one of the weak links on every team since 2011.

It's possible that Hev is the unluckiest guy in the world (other than the part where he gest paid $400k without showing results in recruiting), but I think most people are going to take the simplest explanation that he just isn't doing his job.

Agree we were pretty good on the OL in 2014 until we faced Alabama and Ole Miss. Those 2 games showed we were not as good as we thought we were-especially Ole Miss. Dak had very little time to throw, and Robinson got hit almost as soon as Dak handed the ball to him.

Coach007
07-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Who recruited Dak?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Who recruited Dak?

Thank you for posting Ms. Hevesy. Your husband has been noticeability absent for many, many years recruiting OLmen for this school. We just lost to UPitt. Em ****ing barrassing.

Doggie_Style
07-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Let it go this dude wasn't going o help us that much anyway, I trust the coaches on that

HoopsDawg
07-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Let it go this dude wasn't going o help us that much anyway, I trust the coaches on that

LOL, then why did we recruit the heck out of him?

Doggie_Style
07-25-2017, 09:10 PM
LOL, then why did we recruit the heck out of him?

He wanted a freakin guarantee that he would start, Mullen just too honest for that....

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Bingo. Hev is Dan's albatross and the architect of that glass ceiling Dan can't break through. We're only signing 2-3 OL per class lately. You literally have to hit on every single OL recruit and have no misses when you sign that few each year. We should sign no fewer than 5 OL in every class. That gives you a little margin for error. OL is already the hardest position to project, but we're making it worse with how few we sign. And why do we sign so few? Hev hates recruiting, doesn't want to work, and is an insufferable asshole who rubs everyone the wrong way.

It's past time to either move him off the field or fire him. It's become clear no one is going to give him a promotion, which is what Mullen has been working to get Hev behind the scenes. A f'n Sun Belt school wouldn't make him an OC or HC just a couple of years ago. Dan needs to decide if he likes $4+M a year and a comfortable job or if he likes Hev enough to give it up. Because our OL is going to be our downfall at some point if we can't improve our recruiting there.

GTHOM
07-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Its amazing to me that we get anyone to play for Hev. I actually think this years OL is going to be better than the past 2 years but Hodges couldve def helped

Ari Gold
07-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Biggest reason he chose Pitt was ex coach is there
But a reason he may not have chosen us is we didn't recruit him out of Juco. What I was told

Here is my deal with Hev. Mullen has established himself to me as a top tier coach. So the question that remains is what other top tier coach would not have alrwady replaced a weak link in his staff?? I'm guessing very few if any.

And yes we better hold on to Dolla Bill ( I think we do ) but it is the OL and if anything happens with us reguarding the OL recruiting it's usually not good...

Todd4State
07-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Who recruited Dak?

And Ron Polk recruited Mitch Moreland. As if Hevesy was actually the only reason why Dak came to MSU in the first place...but let's say he did for arguments sake....just because you aren't batting .000 in recruiting it doesn't mean you should get a lifetime pass. If you hit .100 and one of those hits is a walk-off grand slam it doesn't mean you should start every game the rest of the year.

Irondawg
07-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Who knows what happened here but a very possible reality is that you ask your old coach who knows you better than anyone what the depth chart looks like. He responds with "you are definitely better than these dudes".

Then you ask the MSU coaches about the depth chart and the answer is basically if you are better than the other guy then you will start. (And honestly none of us know if he's better than Reese or not)

Given that I can see how a guy with only one year chooses Pitt. I'll be interested to see in a few weeks if he's starting at Pitt or not

lamont
07-26-2017, 08:59 AM

I can tell you with 100% knowledge of the situation- we worked our ass off to get this guy. And again- we failed. Our RT has not played one college snap and we are very concerned about that

bostondawg
07-26-2017, 09:34 AM
And Ron Polk recruited Mitch Moreland. As if Hevesy was actually the only reason why Dak came to MSU in the first place...but let's say he did for arguments sake....just because you aren't batting .000 in recruiting it doesn't mean you should get a lifetime pass. If you hit .100 and one of those hits is a walk-off grand slam it doesn't mean you should start every game the rest of the year.

This^

Hev helped to get Dak. But one player will not give him a lifetime pass in recruiting.

And just to be crystal clear: part of the reason we got Dak is because no one else was recruiting him. We literally had to beat out a bunch of mid-major schools for him. LSU didn't even want him. Then Dan develops him into an amazing QB. And somehow, all of this is supposed to translate to some success story for Hev?