PDA

View Full Version : Hack

Dawgfan77
09-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Recapp the Mullen is out scenario for us since this board is lit up with it

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Schedule was set up to be very difficult in a "shit or get off the pot" type season for CDM. Strick couldn't do that alone and needed the SEC's help. I dont know if we initiated it or if the SEC office did, but we went from Vandy and Cupcake State Southwest to @South Carolina and Okie State in a matter of weeks... and it was done LATE in the scheduling year. If he doesn't do well against a now brutal schedule, he's likely gone after the egg bowl. A loss against OM or less than 6 wins and I'll be very surprised if he's here next season. Even with 6 wins I wouldn't be shocked to see him coaching elsewhere next season.

The $ for the buyout is pretty much in hand. However, I'm assuming that will be based on an agreement by Strick to hire Hud. That part is an assumption on my part, but it's based on a pretty solid understanding of the situation and where the $ is coming from.

This has all been in flux since before the season. It could change with W's or with 1,000 other variables that pop into the equation over the next 3 months, but there's zero doubt in my mind that this has been set in motion for months at this point...

SnakePlissken
09-16-2013, 06:35 PM
So 5-7 most likely gets him fired or he's told to seek another job?

War Machine Dawg
09-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Here's the real question: Why the decision to force Dan out? Who is it coming from? The thought of forcing Dan out at this point is just utterly ridiculous to me. He's already arguably one of the greatest coaches in school history. You don't fire him without a DAMN GOOD reason, meaning 2 losing seasons in a row.

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 06:36 PM
that's my understanding of where things stand. That and beat OM.

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Here's the real question: Why the decision to force Dan out? Who is it coming from? The thought of forcing Dan out at this point is just utterly ridiculous to me. He's already arguably one of the greatest coaches in school history. You don't fire him without a DAMN GOOD reason, meaning 2 losing seasons in a row.

I agree and why I was so pissed about scheduling Okie State, getting screwed by LT on the SC game after we were told we'd get Vandy, and more than anything else that we'd somehow not fight against either of those to help the best coach we've ever had.

chef dixon
09-16-2013, 06:38 PM
If true, better sure as hell hope that we have the next guy lined up. No one wants to touch an MSU job where you get canned for winning more than you lose.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 06:41 PM

So you agree with starting a better QB even though our Senior is "arguably the best QB in school history", but you don't agree with hiring what could be a better coach even though our current one is "arguably one of the greatest in school history"? And why wait until 2 losing seasons in a row? Do you want us to be back at rock bottom before hiring a new coach?

If you can already see the coach losing his fire and losing games due to poor coaching....why wait on the ship to sink before getting someone that is equal or better in here? I don't understand that "two losing seasons in a row" talk

Coach34
09-16-2013, 06:43 PM
If true, better sure as hell hope that we have the next guy lined up. No one wants to touch an MSU job where you get canned for winning more than you lose.

Hud is being ushered in...the belief is that he can win 6-8 just like Mullen. With his contacts and willingness to recruit like Freezus, people feel like his ceiling is higher and worth the chance

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 06:45 PM

well, either way this is what you get:

1) a guy who was dumb enough to schedule a loss against Oklahoma State before knowing who our SEC east opponent was

-or-

2) a guy who was compliant in setting up a schedule that left us playing five top 10 teams.

Neither is a guy I'd want to work for. People are angry at CDM right now and are badly misdirected on where our problems lie. It's absolutely absurd how quickly people are turning on him after an 8-5 season and one loss in four years to our rival. The shortsidedness of it is really amazing.

War Machine Dawg
09-16-2013, 06:46 PM

This is what you ****ers need to understand. MSU was publicly called "a coaching graveyard" when Mullen was hired. If we fire him without giving him an opportunity to win after only 1 losing season and 3 straight bowls, we will not hire a coach worth a shit.

And btw, you ****ers are also making me hope Hud is Crxxms caliber when he gets here. Seriously, all he did was hold a ****ing clipboard for 2 years. Is he a good coach? Yes. Can he be a better coach than Dan? I have no clue, but the Legend of Hud has already set him up to fail. And I guaran-damn-tee I'm not the only one who already hates him because of the way so many of you worship at his altar.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 06:46 PM
And why wait until 2 losing seasons in a row? Do you want us to be back at rock bottom before hiring a new coach?

We havent even had one losing season yet

War Machine Dawg
09-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Hud is being ushered in...the belief is that he can win 6-8 just like Mullen. With his contacts and willingness to recruit like Freezus, people feel like his ceiling is higher and worth the chance

Who says Dan isn't willing? Our compliance department is our own worst enemy in recruiting, as we've discussed ad nauseum. Unless a HC change comes with an enema in MSU Compliance, then nothing changes in recruiting. And frankly, I think Mullen deserves a chance with a modern day compliance department behind him. He does a damn good job as it is.

SnakePlissken
09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Ceiling or not, if we will fire Mullen for wining up to 8 games we will fire Hud too. Folks will get tired of going to bowls 3 years in a row with Hud too.

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Mullen + Ninja and we end up in a BCS Bowl.

Mullen + Strick and we get to play 5 BCS worthy Bowl teams during the regular season.

CadaverDawg
My problem is not one game, or even one potential losing season....it's the fact that he has lost all heart and all emotion, and that our worst part of the team is the part he coaches and is supposed to be a guru at. If he was giving it his all every game on the sideline, and showing that he gives a flying ****, and putting our players in the best position to win games, then I wouldn't care if we were 0-3 this year....BUT HE ISN'T. He has completely quit giving "relentless effort". Losing happens, but not giving it everything you've got, shouldn't ever happen.

Coach34
Ceiling or not, if we will fire Mullen for wining up to 8 games we will fire Hud too. Folks will get tired of going to bowls 3 years in a row with Hud too.

oh I agree- I'm not happy, but I'm against getting rid of Mullen at this point. He's earned 2014

chef dixon
09-16-2013, 06:53 PM
The bottom line of all of this is we are struggling and Ole Miss is hot, causing knee-jerk reactions from a lot of fans.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 06:55 PM
My problem is not one game, or even one potential losing season....it's the fact that he has lost all heart and all emotion.

Mehhhh....our team played its ass off. I dont need to see Mullen chest bumping players. I just dont like conservative football with a 3 point lead

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 06:56 PM
The bottom line of all of this is we are struggling and Ole Miss is hot, causing knee-jerk reactions from a lot of fans.

I disagree. I think it's the fact that our coach is costing us games, and acting as if he doesn't have any fire in his gut anymore.

When our kicker misses chip shot field goals repeatedly costing us games....I want him benched. When our head coach costs us games repeatedly with dumb moves and no guts....I want him removed. My feeling has nothing to do with Ole Miss. Our fan base worries too much about those ****ers.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Mehhhh....our team played its ass off. I dont need to see Mullen chest bumping players. I just dont like conservative football with a 3 point lead

Umm..."heart" includes the ability to go out and win a game instead of trying not to lose. You basically said the same thing I was saying.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 06:57 PM

This is the crux of the problem. Our fanbase has gone full retard because of OM. Too many of them dont understand that outside of recruiting Mississippi and playing them one game a season- we do things very differently and dont affect each other.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Well I'll quit talking about it, but I know what it looks like when the spiral starts because I have seen it time after time as a MSU fan...and I see it coming with Mullen. Hopefully I'm wrong and we come out and destroy everybody the rest of the year. I just don't want us to totally lose all of the momentum that Mullen helped to build. Maybe I am quick to judge, but I don't want us to go "two years in a row of losing seasons" to make a change. That's horseshit and it has always been our motto.

Dannyripms
09-16-2013, 07:03 PM
look at cdm record, says it all. its year 5 and he cant win against a good team. and the team has regressed the past 2 years. spin it however you like but that's the truth. I definitely believe hud would do a much better job. with the talent on this team right now we are 3-0 with hud. im talking putting major butt whippings on them.
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIRBnDdSEn8A.u77w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZ2 N0cmxpBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMg--?p=mark+hudspeth+football&vid=dce28dd990be79b978bad74e480c4441&l=1%3A48&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.48 35421342926647%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSX E-Wc9pUZQ&tit=Coach+Mark+Hudspeth%26%2339%3Bs+New+Orleans+Bo wl+Pre+Game+Locker+Room+Speech.avi&c=1&sigr=11a5uuudb&age=0&fr=yfp-t-143-s&tt=b

Dannyripms
09-16-2013, 07:06 PM
thats a coach I want. someone with fire in them and would fight tooth and nail for his players and his university. watch the video boys.

AROB44
09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Well, Hack, if your scenario is correct (and this sounds just like something that would happen) then I will finally give up after 40+ years and spend my $$$$ much more wisely and tell the Bulldog Club adios. This kind of crap will guarantee that MSU will continue to be the premier graveyard of coaches.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, Hack, if your scenario is correct (and this sounds just like something that would happen) then I will finally give up after 40+ years and spend my $$$$ much more wisely and tell the Bulldog Club adios. This kind of crap will guarantee that MSU will continue to be the premier graveyard of coaches.

What if Hud comes in and wins a Championship because he builds on what Mullen built? What if Mullen laid a great foundation but we were smart enough to hire a better guy BEFORE letting the current guy ruin a good talent base?

Dannyripms
09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
well you guys if hud comes in and takes us to the sec championship, keep your money and don't jump on the bandwagon. we don't need it

chef dixon
09-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Preseason expectations are so different than how people feel even after week 1. I'm not sure what anyone else's take is, but I did not have great expectations going into this season, or really even last season for that matter. Probably the highest expectations I had under Mullen was year 3 after we put the beat down on Michigan and were returning a good number of our key players. Last season was definitely blown out of proportion after our start and its carried into this year.

If you put the in game decisions/Mullen has no more juice debates to the side for a moment, Dan has done a great job building up depth on this team. We have freshmen and sophomores running all over the field and they were on par or better than what Auburn had to offer. Considering we have so many young players competing this year and we finally have a QB that seems to fit Dan's offense, we absolutely have to give him the 2014 season. For me, next year will have pretty high expectations and I hope we can deliver. As for this year, I just hope we don't have a major meltdown that could linger with us into the following season.

engie
09-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Who says Dan isn't willing?

He's not. Trust us.

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Look- this is how it is. Most of our fans want a Southerner or even better a Mississippian to coach us. 8-4 with a guy from Mississippi > 8-4 with a guy from the North. I feel bad for Dan in that regard. I experienced the same thing to a degree when I was in school- there were some kids that didn't like me because my Dad was from Missouri and I'm of course from Mississippi and consider myself to be Southern. Of course I don't have that issue now, but I'm not in a high profile position like Dan.

I think our fans also want someone that is going to recruit the entire state and play some of the games that Ole Miss does- and Dan is not going to do that. His "screw that 4 star guy from Madison Central, I'll just develop this 2 star guy from Alabama into another Percy Harvin" isn't winning the press conference enough for our fans. Ironically- if Dan is forced out, you better believe Scott is going to bring up the Will Redmond stuff and the Chad Bumphis stuff with the agent up as reasons for getting rid of him. And this is total conspiracy theory- but it makes me wonder if Bracky is against Dan as well. He coached at Starkville around the time Hud was at Winston Academy. And we NEVER heard anything about Bracky when Croom was around. And yeah- Croom sucked as a recruiter, but you know Ole Miss probably turned us in over Robert Elliott, Derek Pegues, and probably even a few other guys as well.

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Preseason expectations are so different than how people feel even after week 1. I'm not sure what anyone else's take is, but I did not have great expectations going into this season, or really even last season for that matter. Probably the highest expectations I had under Mullen was year 3 after we put the beat down on Michigan and were returning a good number of our key players. Last season was definitely blown out of proportion after our start and its carried into this year.

If you put the in game decisions/Mullen has no more juice debates to the side for a moment, Dan has done a great job building up depth on this team. We have freshmen and sophomores running all over the field and they were on par or better than what Auburn had to offer. Considering we have so many young players competing this year and we finally have a QB that seems to fit Dan's offense, we absolutely have to give him the 2014 season. For me, next year will have pretty high expectations and I hope we can deliver. As for this year, I just hope we don't have a major meltdown that could linger with us into the following season.

I remember people bitching about Croom because he wasted Omarr Conner in the exact same way Dan has wasted Tyler, but we're going to give Dan a pass since he has a QB that fits his system? To me, if you can't find a way to make a good player successful, you probably shouldn't be coaching in the SEC.

chef dixon
09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I remember people bitching about Croom because he wasted Omarr Conner in the exact same way Dan has wasted Tyler, but we're going to give Dan a pass since he has a QB that fits his system? To me, if you can't find a way to make a good player successful, you probably shouldn't be coaching in the SEC.

Sure, but this is a tough comparison considering Croom never really won anything here at state, and the only season he did, it wasn't with Conner. Russell has at least gone to bowl games.

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Sure, but this is a tough comparison considering Croom never really won anything here at state, and the only season he did, it wasn't with Conner. Russell has at least gone to bowl games.

True, and I would venture to say that Tyler is a better player than Conner. Tyler set records in an offense that didn't really suit him. What would he have done if someone had been able to adapt the offense around him?

And it's not just QB- the o-line apparently can't pass block, the WR's are very inconsistent, and then we have the merry-go-round RB rotation, and no fullback.

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Problem is Stricklin is closer to LT then Byrne and that my friends is the real problem and why we won't be where we want to be unless Stricklin goes.

Nucky Thompson
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Hack, how does Keenum feel about Mullen? Stricklin? What's his relationship with LT?

Coach34
09-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Tyler set records in an offense that didn't really suit him.

Let's also remember that those records he set are mediocre by college football standards of today.

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 09:39 PM
YEP.

well, either way this is what you get:

1) a guy who was dumb enough to schedule a loss against Oklahoma State before knowing who our SEC east opponent was

-or-

2) a guy who was compliant in setting up a schedule that left us playing five top 10 teams.

Neither is a guy I'd want to work for. People are angry at CDM right now and are badly misdirected on where our problems lie. It's absolutely absurd how quickly people are turning on him after an 8-5 season and one loss in four years to our rival. The shortsidedness of it is really amazing.

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Hack, how does Keenum feel about Mullen? Stricklin? What's his relationship with LT?

don't know. I've heard mixed reviews on Keenum, but he wants to win which is more than we can say for most of our past leadership. I don't feel strongly about him one way or the other because I don't know much about him or his relationships with the other guys. I've heard he's pretty tight with Slive, LT, Bracky, and Strick, but then again I would certainly hope he is...

Bark
09-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Problem is Stricklin is closer to LT then Byrne and that my friends is the real problem and why we won't be where we want to be unless Stricklin goes.

BOOM. Over

MaroonState
09-17-2013, 02:30 AM
This makes sense to a certain extent. Scheduling ok state before the official sec schedule came out has always struck me as odd. Either Stricklin was a COMPLETE idiot for trusting the sec office that we would get Vandy or he was/is complicit with that happening. This whole conspiracy theory lends credence to strick being in on it.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-17-2013, 08:05 AM
oh I agree- I'm not happy, but I'm against getting rid of Mullen at this point. He's earned 2014

How well will Mullen have to do in 2014 though? Looking at the schedule...even 7 wins is not really that impressive. Does he need to get 9 in order to win people back?

Political Hack
09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I think a solid over/under with CDM next year would be 7.5, but after this year Vegas will have us 6 or 6.5.

hacker
09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
My problem is not one game, or even one potential losing season....it's the fact that he has lost all heart and all emotion, and that our worst part of the team is the part he coaches and is supposed to be a guru at. If he was giving it his all every game on the sideline, and showing that he gives a flying ****, and putting our players in the best position to win games, then I wouldn't care if we were 0-3 this year....BUT HE ISN'T. He has completely quit giving "relentless effort". Losing happens, but not giving it everything you've got, shouldn't ever happen.

I've said this before and will say it again. Just because he's not having a mental breakdown on the sideline doesn't mean he doesn't care. Some people handle emotion differently. Some people don't project it outwards. You can tell he cares from the way he talks. Or at least I can.

ckDOG
09-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Is the issue re: Mullen's willingness to "play the recruiting game" about him being on board or not or that we have folks that suck at it and get us put on probation?

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I agree with that. I have never liked the whole "I can tell he does not care" type thing. I have no idea what his feelings/emotions are. I just care about the results this season...which are not good.

engie
09-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I've said this before and will say it again. Just because he's not having a mental breakdown on the sideline doesn't mean he doesn't care. Some people handle emotion differently. Some people don't project it outwards. You can tell he cares from the way he talks. Or at least I can.

All that is fine and good -- IF that had been consistent with his personality throughout. He hasn't been. He's done a complete 180 since he got here with his sideline and press conference demeanor, and it is cause for concern for those of us longing for the 2009 and 2010 version of Mullen....

Political Hack
09-17-2013, 10:31 AM

My thoughts as well.

dawgs
09-17-2013, 10:36 AM

yep. last time i saw him fired up was 2010. he hasn't shown any balls in 2+ seasons now.

dawgs
09-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Look- this is how it is. Most of our fans want a Southerner or even better a Mississippian to coach us. 8-4 with a guy from Mississippi > 8-4 with a guy from the North. I feel bad for Dan in that regard. I experienced the same thing to a degree when I was in school- there were some kids that didn't like me because my Dad was from Missouri and I'm of course from Mississippi and consider myself to be Southern. Of course I don't have that issue now, but I'm not in a high profile position like Dan.

I think our fans also want someone that is going to recruit the entire state and play some of the games that Ole Miss does- and Dan is not going to do that. His "screw that 4 star guy from Madison Central, I'll just develop this 2 star guy from Alabama into another Percy Harvin" isn't winning the press conference enough for our fans. Ironically- if Dan is forced out, you better believe Scott is going to bring up the Will Redmond stuff and the Chad Bumphis stuff with the agent up as reasons for getting rid of him. And this is total conspiracy theory- but it makes me wonder if Bracky is against Dan as well. He coached at Starkville around the time Hud was at Winston Academy. And we NEVER heard anything about Bracky when Croom was around. And yeah- Croom sucked as a recruiter, but you know Ole Miss probably turned us in over Robert Elliott, Derek Pegues, and probably even a few other guys as well.

first of all, it's ****ing idiotic for anyoen to not like you because of where you're from. especially because of where your dad is from.

second, the "screw that 4 star guy from Madison Central, I'll just develop this 2 star guy from Alabama into another Percy Harvin" stuff isn't just not winning the press conference, it's also not winning the football games. i can't even count the number of under the radar guys we've signed that are supposed to be our percy harvin or our aaron hernandez (pre-murder days) or whoever, and they they are just a mediocre at best CFB player, which is what you'd realistically expect from a 2* "percy harvin" type with offers from troy, uab, tulane, and mtsu (and msu).

hacker
09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
All that is fine and good -- IF that had been consistent with his personality throughout. He hasn't been. He's done a complete 180 since he got here with his sideline and press conference demeanor, and it is cause for concern for those of us longing for the 2009 and 2010 version of Mullen....

Honestly, I've never really seen him very emotional. I remember him chewing out the coaches in last year's Troy game, but that's about it. I'm the same way. I have about one blow up per year. The rest I keep inside. I really think this is a non-issue, perceived as an issue by more outwardly emotional fans.

ETA: I mean "emotional" in a "showing emotion" sense, not in an "emo" sense, or whatever the term means these days.

engie
09-17-2013, 10:49 AM
yep. last time i saw him fired up was 2010. he hasn't shown any balls in 2+ seasons now.

I saw it against MTSU last year when we were sucking. And we came out and cut their nuts off defensively in the second half(and that was a pretty good MTSU team). That was the ONLY example of the defense being as advertised all year last year.

dawgs
09-17-2013, 10:50 AM

but mullen 2009-2010 was a brash coach with swagger who enjoyed talking shit to his rival, got his team fired up, overperformed, played to win the game. mullen 2011-present is quiet, stopped needling his rival, plays not to lose, gets blown out by every good team, and doesn't get the team fired up.

hacker
09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Maybe the emotion thing is part of the personality disconnect that people mention when saying he's a yankee or northerner. I believe Mullen's temperament is less common in the south. Southerners tend to say what they're thinking and wear their emotions. Just a thought.

dawgs
09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
I saw it against MTSU last year when we were sucking. And we came out and cut their nuts off defensively in the second half(and that was a pretty good MTSU team). That was the ONLY example of the defense being as advertised all year last year.

i wanna see it against ole miss or bama or lsu or auburn or someone half decent, not against a team, even when they are good, we should beat by 30 points.

hacker
09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
but mullen 2009-2010 was a brash coach with swagger who enjoyed talking shit to his rival, got his team fired up, overperformed, played to win the game. mullen 2011-present is quiet, stopped needling his rival, plays not to lose, gets blown out by every good team, and doesn't get the team fired up.

I dunno, I thought he was still talking shit up until he realized Ole Miss was good again last year. Of course he hasn't talked shit since getting beat by them.

dawgs
09-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe the emotion thing is part of the personality disconnect that people mention when saying he's a yankee or northerner. I believe Mullen's temperament is less common in the south. Southerners tend to say what they're thinking and wear their emotions. Just a thought.

maybe it's not necessarily the emotion rah rah stuff, it's the lack of balls and the playcalling (not to lose v. playing to win) and the subtle needling of the rivals and the general swagger and confidence he exuded in 2009-2010, but hasn't since. i'm not an overly emotional person and i don't live in the south and never will again.

hacker
09-17-2013, 10:59 AM
maybe it's not necessarily the emotion rah rah stuff, it's the lack of balls and the playcalling (not to lose v. playing to win) and the subtle needling of the rivals and the general swagger and confidence he exuded in 2009-2010, but hasn't since. i'm not an overly emotional person and i don't live in the south and never will again.

Hasn't he always played not to lose though? The 2010 LSU game is coming to mind.

ETA: Not excusing this. I'm just defending the perceived personality change.

ETA: I'm thinking 2010 LSU, not 2011.

MadDawg
09-17-2013, 11:04 AM

But it's now accepted as fact that Mullen doesn't care. Period. Kind of like how our stupid fanbase accepts that Mullen has never beaten a ranked team as fact. It's hard to reason with people who do not live in reality.

Dannyripms
09-17-2013, 11:08 AM
yeah he beat what 2 ranked teams. florida and ole miss, what 2 years ago. you cant just accept the fact that our wins are padded by cupcakes can you? this team hasn't gotten better, it has gotten worse. and im gonna say it started going downhill after hud left. yeah I said it. bash all day long if you want to. its funny how people that doesn't have anything vested in msu football can see it but you cant.

engie
09-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Hasn't he always played not to lose though? The 2010 LSU game is coming to mind.

We were basically blown out by LSU in DV in 2010... Relf sustained a concussion in that game and Tyler threw a bunch of picks if memory serves correctly...

dawgs
09-17-2013, 11:12 AM

maybe it's that we are suddenly involved in more games where playing not to lose is costing us games. hard for me to imagine we would beat uga or florida (definitely played that one conservative) or taken arkansas to OT if 2013 mullen was coaching.

i don't know, he just doesn't strike me as the same guy from 2009-2010. maybe it's me, but i;m hardly alone in feeling this way, so seems like there's some truth to it. fwiw, i wasn't buying into the 7-0 start last year either, i knew it was built on a house of cards, so it's not like i thought things were great until the bama game last year. i told everyone i knew that if we didn't start 7-0 it would have been a huge letdown.

Pollodawg
09-17-2013, 11:24 AM
When we still look in 2013 like we did in 2009, still getting beat by the same teams, and still losing the same way, it shows me that you have not progressed at all as a coach. It is what is it at this point to. Many of our fans are emotionally attached to Mullen. He made us respect ourselves again after the Croom dumpster fire. He hasn't done bad here, but after 2010, he hasn't really done anything. Meanwhile, every team in the division gets better, and we stay the same.

dawgs
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
But it's now accepted as fact that Mullen doesn't care. Period. Kind of like how our stupid fanbase accepts that Mullen has never beaten a ranked team as fact. It's hard to reason with people who do not live in reality.

pointing out his lack of balls/fire the last couple of years doesn't exactly mean he doesn't care. it's more of a loss in confidence thing, which is reflective in a lack of balls/fire since 2010 imo. when the only games anyone can really point to him showing fire in the last 2 years is against someone like mtsu, then that's not exactly proof to me that he's still got "it".

Bullmutt
09-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Hack, I'd like to be sure I understand this situation correctly. What I basically hear you saying is that 1) there are powerful alumni who want Dan out and Hud in 2) they (and Keenum?) have applied pressure on SS to go along with them 3) SS/said alumni actually enlisted the help of Slive in achieving this via schedule manipulation, thus setting Mullen up to fail. How correct is this interpretation?

If this conspiracy (assuming my interpretation is correct) is for real, when and with whom did it get its start? At what point might Mullen have gotten wind of it? This, depending on when Mullen found out about it, could explain a ton of things: why the wheels came totally off the team toward the end of last year, why Dan stopped projecting that "engaged deameanor" (what a lot here are seeing as "not caring'), perhaps even why he has gone schizo conservative with playcalling. If this is really what's going on and if he discovered it sooner rather than later- WTH!!! He realized he's screwed regardless of what he does!

I'm sure there are a number of guys on this board who live in the corporate world and have witnessed, or perhaps been directly affected by, similar situations. I have and, while I've been seriously questioning Dan's recent performance like so many others, if I found out this is what's really going on, I would be 100% back in his corner. It would be very depressing to find that this particular brand of dancing with the Devil is going on at my alma mater. Chalk it up to being naive, I guess- though ain't nobody ever accused me of that up to now.

Couple of other things. What the hell could Dan have done to make the powers that be want him out this bad? He must have stepped on the wrong guy's unit really bad! Also, I think involving Slive would have been a really big mistake. I don't see him doing anything that isn't in the best interest of the SEC big boys!
Hope I'm way the hell off base with this.

Political Hack
09-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't know how or why it started. I have theories, but they're just theories based on othr things i know. What I do know is that our schedule, with the help of the SEC office, went from a 7 win slate to a five win slate in a matter of weeks. I don't think boosters had anything to do with pushing this. However, they have loosely agreed to pony up the buyout if we have a losing record this year... and did so before we were 1-2.

Separate from all this is Hud. Our guys with stroke want Hud. If Dan is out, Hud is square in the crosshairs. however, there are mixed opinions - from people who have talked directly to Hud - about whether hell take the job or not. I've always heard he would, but have recently heard he my have better options coming his way. Could be some gamesmanship going on. Could be legit. I have no clue what to think about it.

BHildreth3
09-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Separate from all this is Hud. Our guys with stroke want Hud. If Dan is out, Hud is square in the crosshairs. however, there are mixed opinions - from people who have talked directly to Hud - about whether hell take the job or not. I've always heard he would, but have recently heard he my have better options coming his way. Could be some gamesmanship going on. Could be legit. I have no clue what to think about it.

DAMN

AROB44
09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't know how or why it started. I have theories, but they're just theories based on othr things i know. What I do know is that our schedule, with the help of the SEC office, went from a 7 win slate to a five win slate in a matter of weeks. I don't think boosters had anything to do with pushing this. However, they have loosely agreed to pony up the buyout if we have a losing record this year... and did so before we were 1-2.

That would be the way things seem to always work out for MSU. We'd be in a hell of a pickle then. Could be considered poetic justice for running Mullen off.

Big4Dawg
09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't see us firing Mullen without SS already having a signed contract in hand, dated a couple weeks ahead of course.

Pollodawg
09-17-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't know. That could all be posturing by Hud to pressure our big boosters into making the decision for Strick quicker.

CadaverDawg
09-17-2013, 04:21 PM
That would be the way things seem to always work out for MSU. We'd be in a hell of a pickle then. Could be considered poetic justice for running Mullen off.

Nobody is "running Mullen off". Mullen is running himself off by having his team drop turd after turd since Bama last year. It's not like we're going to be firing a guy that is kicking SEC ass if we fire him. The only games he wins are against pansies and SEC teams that are WAY down....that's it. Again, don't blow SEC wins by getting all scared and conservative, and your job will never be in jeopardy at MSU. We don't ask for much....beat the teams you should beat, don't coach your way OUT of sure victories (like Saturday), and give us everything you've got for 12 Saturdays each fall. So far, we're getting the first one, but not the second two IMO

Political Hack
09-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Nobody is "running Mullen off". Mullen is running himself off by having his team drop turd after turd since Bama last year. It's not like we're going to be firing a guy that is kicking SEC ass if we fire him. The only games he wins are against pansies and SEC teams that are WAY down....that's it. Again, don't blow SEC wins by getting all scared and conservative, and your job will never be in jeopardy at MSU. We don't ask for much....beat the teams you should beat, don't coach your way OUT of sure victories (like Saturday), and give us everything you've got for 12 Saturdays each fall. So far, we're getting the first one, but not the second two IMO

We scheduled FIVE top ten teams this season. Bear Bryant couldn't survive that schedule.