PDA

View Full Version : Could Petrino be dangerous with this team?

Thick
09-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Could the great offensive mind of BP be 3-0 right now with more production to boot? Would he be conservative down the stretch with a 3 point lead? Would he have burned a timeout trying to draw the opposition off sides in his own territory?

Just curious what you think? I am not saying fire Mullen to hire BP. Just for conversation purposes.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Russell would easily be drafted if Petrino was coaching here. And Derunnya Wilson, Jameon Lewis, RoJo, MoJo, and others would have HUGE years. Perkins would also catch about 8-10 passes a game out of the backfield and would be a weapon for us (like he should be now if used properly).

blacklistedbully
09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I think BP would be extremely successful, then would leave us after 1 or 2 years for a more high-profile job at school with a tradition of competing for NCs.

Bothrops
09-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Petrino would be 3-0 right now with our guys, as long as we had the same defense. Had he been at State the last 4 years, we would have bowled in New Orleans and Dallas. Guarantee you.

Dawgfan77
09-16-2013, 05:40 PM
HUD would be 3-0 or at least 2-1 with a 70 spot on Alcorn.

angusyoung
09-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Could the great offensive mind of BP be 3-0 right now with more production to boot? Would he be conservative down the stretch with a 3 point lead? Would he have burned a timeout trying to draw the opposition off sides in his own territory?

Just curious what you think? I am not saying fire Mullen to hire BP. Just for conversation purposes.

Absolutely we would be 3-0. Petrino would be lighting it up with the personnel we have right now. He wanted Morrow so bad when we landed him. He said many times in Arkansas circles that Morrow was one of his favorite prospects.

msstate7
09-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Petrino is as well as any coach out there as far as coaching. He just recruits on *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* level so he can't beat elite teams. If petrino gets to texas he'll win a title bc he won't have to recruit.

msstate7
09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Petrino is as well as any coach out there as far as coaching. He just recruits on *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* level so he can't beat elite teams. If petrino gets to texas he'll win a title bc he won't have to recruit.

Where did I pick up this cough?

Bothrops
09-16-2013, 06:13 PM

Petrino at Texas is a scary proposition.

angusyoung
09-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Teams like Texas, bama, uga, etc would never hire Petrino.

They view the quality of their program to be above that type of offense and frankly they are. They have the best players in America and they can beat you straight up both offensively and defensively.

Dannyripms
09-16-2013, 07:21 PM
really? well they aint. texas just got beat up pretty bad by byu and ole miss. coaches make all the difference in the world

angusyoung
09-16-2013, 07:24 PM
really? well they aint. texas just got beat up pretty bad by byu and ole miss. coaches make all the difference in the world

i realize that. texas needs a new coach but it wont be a coach like petrino. it will be a guy that runs a pro style like at bama and uga.

msstate7
09-16-2013, 07:25 PM
i realize that. texas needs a new coach but it wont be a coach like petrino. it will be a guy that runs a pro style like at bama and uga.
Petrino runs a pro style offense

angusyoung
09-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Petrino runs a pro style offense

my goodness you are out of your mind

msstate7
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
my goodness you are out of your mind

3 wides, 1 back, te, qb under center -- pro set.

Petrino was hired at Atlanta to start with because his offense which was a pro type offense. Remember the greatest show on turf? Very similar to Petrino's offense

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I think BP would be extremely successful, then would leave us after 1 or 2 years for a more high-profile job at school with a tradition of competing for NCs.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. I'd rather have a year or two with a proven winner than 4-5 years with a maybe. We can always try to find a maybe when BP leaves. There's plenty of could be's, there's not many winners.

smootness
09-16-2013, 08:22 PM
And I'm perfectly fine with that. I'd rather have a year or two with a proven winner than 4-5 years with a maybe. We can always try to find a maybe when BP leaves. There's plenty of could be's, there's not many winners.

Uh, ask Arkansas what happens post-Petrino. You do not want that guy to only be around long enough to leave his successor with no talent.

He draws up a great offensive gameplan, there is no doubt about that...and it works. But once he's gone, your program is in shambles. Look at Louisville, too.

FISHDAWG
09-17-2013, 08:31 AM
even an offensive mind like Petrino knows not to allow a prevent defense with 80 yds to go in a minute & a half

FlabLoser
09-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Bobby Petrina has done one thing that Mullen hasn't figured out yet - and that is have an effective offense and be an effective head football coach too. OC is a technician's job. HC is a manager's job. Petrina figured out how have effectiveness out of both of those positions. Petrina was obviously the HC, and I don't know how hands on he was for the OC part, but he at least could get a OC to carry out his vision for the offense.