PDA

View Full Version : Way to Go Howland

metrodawg
07-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Reggie Perry is a good Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

metrodawg
07-17-2017, 11:39 AM

http://*******/2vum6yS

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Awesome! Well done!

MarketingBully
07-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Wow! That is awesome! WTG Coach Howland! He is a difference maker!

metrodawg
07-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Soon to be a tough ticket. This team will be incredible with the talent we will have!

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 11:52 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/aJSaDX4B2Tuhy/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/fkD36jhiqzJ9m/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/hTh9bSbUPWMWk/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/KylMzku5T57A4/giphy.gif

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Mario who?

bulldogsmsu
07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Wish we could have kept keegler & Newman. But the pieces are coming together. Just need some results now and we should be able to sustain the upcoming classes.

smootness
07-17-2017, 11:57 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOM

smootness
07-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Wish we could have kept keegler & Newman. But the pieces are coming together. Just need some results now and we should be able to sustain the upcoming classes.

Don't spend any time thinking about who we won't have. The guys we will have are going to be awesome.

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Wish we could have kept keegler & Newman.

No thanks we are permanently done with Carter's Flopstar Divas

metrodawg
07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Don't spend any time thinking about who we won't have. The guys we will have are going to be awesome.

This ^

bostondawg
07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Yep. When you recruit players of this caliber, you're gonna win some and lose some. Lots of big egos. But on the average, over the long term, the winners you get will change the program. Hail state!

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Perry is the highest rated committed player on 247

Bully13
07-17-2017, 12:15 PM
so does this fill the void that kegler left? similar position and all?

this is great news nonetheless.

smootness
07-17-2017, 12:17 PM

He's better than Kegler. And plays like Kegler should have.

bostondawg

It should, but we're not gonna have Perry until next fall. Gonna need someone to step up this winter.

msbulldog
Thank you Coach Howland, you are earning your money! Love it, loved his daddy when he played here, too.

Dawg61
so does this fill the void that kegler left?

what void

bostondawg
07-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Hopefully not to derail this thread:

How do we take 3 SF's this class? Reggie Perry (5* is a bulldog), Woodard (high 4*, likely bulldog), and DJ Stewart (low 4*, likely bulldog). Can we pull them all? Or does Stewart get cut?

Perhaps the hope is that if Perry is a one-and-done, we'd have plenty of room anyway. How many schollys do we even have available?

BigEasyDawg
07-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Does Perry and Woodard both project to play SF?

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 12:26 PM

How do we take 3 SF's this class? Reggie Perry (5* is a bulldog), Woodard (high 4*, likely bulldog), and DJ Stewart (low 4*, likely bulldog). Can we pull them all? Or does Stewart get cut?

Perhaps the hope is that if Perry is a one-and-done, we'd have plenty of room anyway. How many schollys do we even have available?

Perhaps Howland ain't done learning new tricks

bostondawg
07-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Perhaps Howland ain't done learning new tricks

Let's hope not. If there's any consolation here, the NBA is heavily moving toward these heavy guard sets. He could run these sets with a lot of small forwards.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Perry is a stretch 4
Woodard is a 3
Stewart is a 2

MarketingBully
07-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Does Perry and Woodard both project to play SF?

Perry is going to play the stretch four and some SF. Woodard can exclusively play the SF role. Stewart can play the SF/2G role. Heck, with Perry's length, he could play the 3, 4, or 5 roles. Woodard and Perry compliment each other's game well. Heck I think the best part about this is Perry wants to play the stretch four and some small forward whatever to help the team. A breath of fresh air IMO.

MarketingBully
07-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Perry is a stretch 4
Woodard is a 3
Stewart is a 2

Exactly IYOK. Great call on Perry too IYOK! Huge get and should get us excited again about men's basketball! Looks like things are coming together for Howland to make a good run!

smootness
07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
So here's how the next few teams are starting to shape up (obviously barring transfers, which are certain to come but hopefully won't alter things too much):

2017-2018:
Peters (So) / N Weatherspoon (Fr)
Q Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (So)
Stapleton (Jr) / Carter (So)
Holman (So) / Datcher (So)
Herard (So) / Ado (Fr)

2018-2019:
Peters (Jr) / Wright (Jr)
N Weatherspoon (So) / Carter (Jr)
Stapleton (Sr) / Woodard (Fr)
Holman (Jr) / Perry (Fr)
Herard (Jr) / Ado (So)

2019-2020:
N Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (Sr)
Carter (Sr) / Stewart (So)
Woodard (So)
Perry (So) / Feazell (Jr)
Ado (Jr) / Datcher (Sr)

*I know Wright doesn't play the point, I'm not necessarily saying these are hard-and-fast positions, just what I'm projecting as a starting lineup and first guys off the bench. And we may have guys leave even earlier for the NBA, like Peters or N Weatherspoon, and we could have someone like Holman or Herard stick around all 4 years, just using this as sort of a realistic-ish template. And those 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 teams are pretty dang salty.

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Q Spoon is staying all 4 years imo

Big4Dawg
07-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Perry will start. Top 15 players don't ride the bench much.

Bothrops
07-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Excellent job, Coach Howland! Position of need also. My hat's off to ya!

smootness
07-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Perry will start. Top 15 players don't ride the bench much.

Yeah, he probably will. I don't know if he will right out of the gate, and there's a chance Holman really progresses between this coming year and the following. But regardless, Perry will be playing a ton.

Coastdog28
07-17-2017, 01:58 PM
So here's how the next few teams are starting to shape up (obviously barring transfers, which are certain to come but hopefully won't alter things too much):

2017-2018:
Peters (So) / N Weatherspoon (Fr)
Q Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (So)
Stapleton (Jr) / Carter (So)
Holman (So) / Datcher (So)
Herard (So) / Ado (Fr)

2018-2019:
Peters (Jr) / Wright (Jr)
N Weatherspoon (So) / Carter (Jr)
Stapleton (Sr) / Woodard (Fr)
Holman (Jr) / Perry (Fr)
Herard (Jr) / Ado (So)

2019-2020:
N Weatherspoon (Jr) / Wright (Sr)
Carter (Sr) / Stewart (So)
Woodard (So)
Perry (So) / Feazell (Jr)
Ado (Jr) / Datcher (Sr)

*I know Wright doesn't play the point, I'm not necessarily saying these are hard-and-fast positions, just what I'm projecting as a starting lineup and first guys off the bench. And we may have guys leave even earlier for the NBA, like Peters or N Weatherspoon, and we could have someone like Holman or Herard stick around all 4 years, just using this as sort of a realistic-ish template. And those 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 teams are pretty dang salty.

So are Woodard and Stewart all but committed at this point? Obviously, transfers in/out and players jumping to the NBA early will certainly change things but who is realistic going forward?

2018 - Anybody else besides Perry, Woodard, and Stewart?
2019 - Austin Crowley?, DJ Jeffries?, I really have no clue who we are after or who we legitimately have a shot with. Kinda hard to predict basketball recruiting with the amount of turnover college basketball teams typically have.

gtowndawg
07-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Great job. Now coach em' up!

smootness
07-17-2017, 02:03 PM
So are Woodard and Stewart all but committed at this point? Obviously, transfers in/out and players jumping to the NBA early will certainly change things but who is realistic going forward?

2019 - Austin Crowley?, DJ Jeffries?, I really have no clue who we are after or who we legitimately have a shot with. Kinda hard to predict basketball recruiting with the amount of turnover college basketball teams typically have.

Yeah, there are better people than me to ask about recruiting. I just like looking ahead at possibilities. And from what I understand, we do expect to get Woodard and Stewart.

Coastdog28
07-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Yeah, there are better people than me to ask about recruiting. I just like looking ahead at possibilities. And from what I understand, we do expect to get Woodard and Stewart.

Yeah, good breakdown though. Hopefully some that are in the know on bball recruiting will chime in and give us a breakdown on the future.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2017, 02:09 PM

The goal in 2018 is Perry Woodard & Stewart. I feel really good about Woodard & pretty good about Stewart. It's hard for me to not think we won't get an instate kid if we really want him.
2019 is Austin Crowley (I think we get him) DJ Jefferies (I don't expect him right now) Jaykwon Walton (Carver in Montgomery has been very good to us) There will be more guys pop up of course

Dawgology
07-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Hail State and welcome to the fam!

Covercorner2
07-17-2017, 02:16 PM
2018-2019 looks like THE year. Check out this potential lineup:

PG: Peters/N. Weatherspoon
SG: Q. Weatherspoon/Carter/Wright/Stewart
SF: Stapleton/Woodard
PF: Perry/Holman/Feazell
C: Ado/Herard

I know it's not likely all of those guys stick around, but I didn't even include Datcher, and the 2/3 spot would be an absolute log-jam.

Coastdog28
07-17-2017, 02:18 PM
The goal in 2018 is Perry Woodard & Stewart. I feel really good about Woodard & pretty good about Stewart. It's hard for me to not think we won't get an instate kid if we really want him.
2019 is Austin Crowley (I think we get him) DJ Jefferies (I don't expect him right now) Jaykwon Walton (Carver in Montgomery has been very good to us) There will be more guys pop up of course

Thanks for the update. I'd imagine there will be some attrition that could certainly open up more spots in 2019 and beyond.

Covercorner2
07-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Why are we not recruiting more post players, in particular at the 5 spot? Is Ado that good? Don't get me wrong, Herard has shown promise, but we seem to be recruiting elite guys that all play the 2-4.

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Why are we not recruiting more post players, in particular at the 5 spot? Is Ado that good? Don't get me wrong, Herard has shown promise, but we seem to be recruiting elite guys that all play the 2-4.

We have 2 on the roster and 2/3 more that can play the 5 in a pinch. We're fine at Center.

whosyourdawgy
07-17-2017, 03:08 PM
No thanks we are permanently done with Carter's Flopstar Divas

Is Robert Woodard on Carter's AAU team? If so, then cool your jets. He's a take regardless of who his damn AAU or high school coach is. All that matters is who his handler is and that's his pops, who is one of my fav Bulldogs of that time. Man if we land Perry and Woodard, our forward position is set for the '18 season

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 03:16 PM
All that matters is who his handler is

I am not talking about an entire AAU team I am talking about the player's that Carter decides to ruin. That is not Robert Woodard.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2017, 03:25 PM

We have 2 centers that will be here for at a minimum 2 more years IMO. So you don't need a center until earliest 2019 class.

1bigdawg
07-17-2017, 03:30 PM
I still remember his Dad hitting a 10 foot jumper to defeat Kentucky!

smootness
07-17-2017, 03:35 PM

As 61 said, Herard and Ado are just fine at the 5, we're in good shape there.

And the bottom line is that in today's game, it's hard to find a true 5 and you don't really need one, either. I mean, Herard was a high 4-star recruit as a 5, and we saw how raw he was.

bulldogsmsu
07-17-2017, 03:45 PM

True! Anyone know how many commits we are planning on taking this year? Anyone know what the status of Woodard is?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM

Wtg George Brooks!

Dawg61
07-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Wtg George Brooks!

Rep given +1, Atta Boy Brooks!!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Geezus the Arkansas fans on Twitter are really butt on this one...and the sad part is they are including Reggie in the tweets. IJ came to the rescue but they ripping him as well. What an sad group of idiots they are.

MarketingBully
07-17-2017, 10:48 PM
Geezus the Arkansas fans on Twitter are really butt on this one...and the sad part is they are including Reggie in the tweets. IJ came to the rescue but they ripping him as well. What an sad group of idiots they are.

Yep. I would be embarrassed if I were them.

Bully13
07-17-2017, 11:56 PM

got any pics? would like to see. lmao. 17 them.

Dawg61
07-18-2017, 03:02 AM
got any pics? would like to see. lmao. 17 them.

You got google. Use it.

https://twitter.com/IjReady/status/887075124238852096

smootness
07-18-2017, 07:42 AM
I mean, our fans would do the same thing. Imagine if a 5-star kid who had lived in MS and still played on a MS AAU team had been committed for over a year, along with some other kids on the same team...then he decommitted to be closer to his dad and ended up at a place like Arkansas that was still 6 hours away from his dad.

College fans are pretty much all the same at the end of the day.

MarketingBully
07-18-2017, 07:53 AM
I mean, our fans would do the same thing. Imagine if a 5-star kid who had lived in MS and still played on a MS AAU team had been committed for over a year, along with some other kids on the same team...then he decommitted to be closer to his dad and ended up at a place like Arkansas that was still 6 hours away from his dad.

We didn't do this to Malik and Mario when they transferred after one year and that's worse. I don't mind them being butt hurt on message boards but going off on him on Twitter is taking it to a whole other level.

MarketingBully
07-18-2017, 07:55 AM

Delete - Point was made in my previous post...

MarketingBully
07-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Rep given +1, Atta Boy Brooks!!

Yeah, I thought he was a McCrary guy because Perry is in Georgia. Great job by Coach Brooks! What states does Brooks not cover?

MarketingBully
07-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Btw, I don't always say this but I do love the article the Clarion Ledger did with Al Perry yesterday on why Reggie picked us. Coach Howland really did a great job of telling it to him straight on how he is going to use him. The thing I love the most about this recruitment is it sounds like Reggie really has a great attitude and wants to play where he best helps the team. This tells me he is coachable and will fit in well with who Coach Howland has on the team and who he wants to recruit (instead of Newman and Kegler who had an agenda of where they wanted to play and how they wanted to play).

smootness
07-18-2017, 09:57 AM
We didn't do this to Malik and Mario when they transferred after one year and that's worse. I don't mind them being butt hurt on message boards but going off on him on Twitter is taking it to a whole other level.

I wouldn't be surprised if some did.

Dawg61
07-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I thought he was a McCrary guy because Perry is in Georgia. Great job by Coach Brooks! What states does Brooks not cover?

Maybe it was McCrary idk so Great Job McCrary too!! Great job every coach on our staff on landing a top 15 player in the country!!

MarketingBully
07-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Maybe it was McCrary idk so Great Job McCrary too!! Great job every coach on our staff on landing a top 15 player in the country!!

It was Brooks but McCrary may have helped. We definitely made him feel like a priority and Kegler transferring actually helped us land him because he saw an opportunity open up. Al, his dad, mentions it in the CL article.

Tbonewannabe
07-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Btw, I don't always say this but I do love the article the Clarion Ledger did with Al Perry yesterday on why Reggie picked us. Coach Howland really did a great job of telling it to him straight on how he is going to use him. The thing I love the most about this recruitment is it sounds like Reggie really has a great attitude and wants to play where he best helps the team. This tells me he is coachable and will fit in well with who Coach Howland has on the team and who he wants to recruit (instead of Newman and Kegler who had an agenda of where they wanted to play and how they wanted to play).

That is one of the best things the top programs get their players to do. UK, Duke, NC, Kansas all have great players but they also play team basketball. UK has 1 and done guys that are coming off the bench and you never hear about a bunch of drama. Hopefully Howland is getting to the point that he is getting great team players because those make great teams.

WPS
07-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Yeah a lot of them took it too far. I can see why some would be annoyed since he said he wanted to be close to his sick dad and then commits to a school 7 hours away though. The timing was also weird, nothing has really changed from when he committed to Arkansas calling it "his Kansas, Duke or Kentucky"

After Malik Monk last year it's kinda like "here we go again"

MarketingBully
07-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Yeah a lot of them took it too far. I can see why some would be annoyed since he said he wanted to be close to his sick dad and then commits to a school 7 hours away though. The timing was also weird, nothing has really changed from when he committed to Arkansas calling it "his Kansas, Duke or Kentucky"

After Malik Monk last year it's kinda like "here we go again"

We get it. We had two transfer after being here one year and one ask out of their NLI this past year so we understand it; however when your fans AND your team tweet at him just to harass him it's gone way too far. It's bad form and oversteps big time boundaries. Bitching on message boards and even bitching on Twitter to other fans I get. Tweeting at recruits and student athletes to bitch at them because they didn't pick your school is Kentucky fan creepy.