PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Mullen/Hud talk...

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 03:18 PM
First of all, I understand that a change is not likely at all. Especially after this season regardless of what happens.

However, this is the way I see it...

First of all, everyone is pretty much in agreement that Hud could probably do no worse than Mullen if he took over right now. But many, like myself, feel like he may have a higher ceiling here due to southern ties, and that he may recruit better. Also, think about what Dan has built up talent-wise here. Now imagine the fire of a first year head coach combined with a very talented and deep roster, AND a favorable schedule.

Now I know it won't happen, and several don't even want it too....but why does everybody always wait for the bottom to fall out before making a change? Why couldn't we hire the guy with fire, energy, and that WANTS to be here while the cupboard is still full?

Typically new coaches come in and bring an excitement to a program, but by the time they are able to get enough talent to win the excitement has died down, because when they first get there the cupboard is bare...like Mullen. So wouldn't it potentially help to propel us to the next level if we made a change to that new coach while the talent was already in place?

I guess I'm just thinking about it from a hypothetical standpoint, not like I am expecting it to happen. I just see a coach waiting in the wings that we all feel could be as good or better than what we have, but not worse...and a talented team that is about to be wasted over the next season or two because our coach has lost his fire. I hate it.

Don't take this the wrong way, just tell me if you think hiring a coach while the cupboard is full would help us to get to the next level...or would it hurt us because we would lose recruits and coaches would think we were crazy to fire a guy after 3 bowls and one 5 win season?

smootness
09-16-2013, 03:24 PM
You thank fans are too cautious when dealing with coaches? If you fired a coach every time one year was not better than the one before it, good grief. It's already pretty close to that now.

bulldogsmsu
09-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I agree that we wait to long before replacing our football coach. We wait until they run it down to the ground before looking elsewhere. I am not ready to give up on Mullen yet, but we would definately be a more attractive place to coach while the program is in good shape. But lets let the season play out before we decide to nix Mullen.

AROB44
09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Count me as one who is just tired of changing coaches every 6 years (except for the Kang). I am just not ready to throw the towel in on Mullen....Doesn't mean I am presently happy with him, but I sure don't think Hud will be the answer. If we are ready to dump Mullen, we need to perform a true search and not just give it to someone.....that is what LT would have down (remember Polk II). I must say that I don't think any of this will happen. Mullen will get one more year, then be run off, and Hud will be delcared the savior. And the wheel just keeps turning.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
You thank fans are too cautious when dealing with coaches? If you fired a coach every time one year was not better than the one before it, good grief. It's already pretty close to that now.

Not arguing your point, but just saying....schools are expected to ignore what they are seeing from their coach on the field as long as his win/loss record is decent? I think that is unfortunate. Anybody can see that we are on the verge of likely a losing season after collapsing at the end of last season....in my opinion, that is more than "one bad season" and is enough to warrant a change. But I guess not everyone feels that way. I feel like you are accurate in how people outside the program would perceive it though

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Count me as one who is just tired of changing coaches every 6 years (except for the Kang). I am just not ready to throw the towel in on Mullen....Doesn't mean I am presently happy with him, but I sure don't think Hud will be the answer. If we are ready to dump Mullen, we need to perform a true search and not just give it to someone.....that is what LT would have down (remember Polk II). I must say that I don't think any of this will happen. Mullen will get one more year, then be run off, and Hud will be delcared the savior. And the wheel just keeps turning.

Fair enough. Are you sure you are ready for a Stricklin Search Party though? Ha

SnakePlissken
09-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Fair enough. Are you sure you are ready for a Stricklin Search Party though? HaI think that even if we do hire Hud he will be fired in about 6 years. I truly see him getting us to an avg of 7-8 wins a year with an occasional 9 wins. I think he avoids a 5-7 season because Mullen has stacked him with with an overall better team than Croom left for Mullen (just look at QB for one thing). Of course my speculation has as much validity as anyone else on here so I guess it really doesn't matter.

I'd honestly rather see what Mullen does in 2014 and then make a decision on his future.

fishwater99
09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
All of this talk is way pre-mature. Dan is not going to get fired this year and next year we could win 7 with our schedule.
We are stuck with Mullen for as long as he wants to stay and it sucks. It's going to be like Stans 2.0...

AROB44
09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Fair enough. Are you sure you are ready for a Stricklin Search Party though? Ha

Touche'

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Well I sure wouldn't want to remove Mullen if we don't have a clue what direction we are going. Mullen is still a pretty young HC and can continue to improve. If we aren't convinced a guy like Hud who WANTS to be at MSU can come in and do as good of a job or better, especially in recruiting and also in coaching based on what I've seen the last 9 games, then we shouldn't be quick too quick to make a change. Don't want to make a stupid mistake like OM did when they swapped out Cutcliff for Orgeron. We KNOW Hud wants the job, I can't necessarily say that about other reasonably successful HCs out there.

AROB44
09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
All of this talk is way pre-mature. Dan is not going to get fired this year and next year we could win 7 with our schedule.
We are stuck with Mullen for as long as he wants to stay and it sucks. It's going to be like Stans 2.0...

I do find it ironic that winning 7 or 8 games is now being stuck with a coach. And at MSU no less.

fishwater99
09-16-2013, 04:13 PM
I do find it ironic that winning 7 or 8 games is now being stuck with a coach. And at MSU no less.

Do you not remember Stansbury(we were stuck with him), he made it to the NCAA, he just couldn't coach well enough to win past the first weekend of the NCAAT..
Had talent on his teams, but couldn't coach an offense and was a bad in-game coach. Sound familiar?

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 04:20 PM
To me, personally- I think the BIGGEST issue I see with Dan is he just doesn't seem to care anymore. If we got Hud, I have a feeling that wouldn't happen. Look at Cohen- the guy is hell bent on winning a National Title here. That's the advantage of getting someone with a vested interest in your program.

I'm disappointed with the offense under Dan as well as recruiting towards that side of the ball, and again I think that would improve under Hud.

codeDawg
09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Do you not remember Stansbury(we were stuck with him), he made it to the NCAA, he just couldn't coach well enough to win past the first weekend of the NCAAT..
Had talent on his teams, but couldn't coach an offense and was a bad in-game coach. Sound familiar?

Stans had to go because he refused to strengthen his weaknesses. He didn't hire an offensive guy, so it just continued to suck.

The deal with Dan is that not only is it something that needs to be fixed, it is the thing HE is primarily responsible for. Mullen has an opportunity to not do the same thing. Will he......?

msu4ever
09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
To me, personally- I think the BIGGEST issue I see with Dan is he just doesn't seem to care anymore. If we got Hud, I have a feeling that wouldn't happen. Look at Cohen- the guy is hell bent on winning a National Title here. That's the advantage of getting someone with a vested interest in your program.

I'm disappointed with the offense under Dan as well as recruiting towards that side of the ball, and again I think that would improve under Hud.

I think you are exactly right...and the previous thread about Southern ties.....I hope Hud is around when the day comes...whenever that is. Or someone similar. But begs the question...will our AD make the hard call?

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 04:39 PM
I think you are exactly right...and the previous thread about Southern ties.....I hope Hud is around when the day comes...whenever that is. Or someone similar. But begs the question...will our AD make the hard call?

AD's have to eat too. It's not so much Scott that makes the call as it is our boosters. It's like that everywhere. And it also doesn't matter how close Scott and Dan are- Scott is not going to cost himself his job over their friendship. I've heard conflicting reports about Scott and Dan and their friendship anyway- and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I know people are worried because of the basketball coaching search, but it's my guess that the reason things went down like they did were probably because of Payne's connection to Nike.

Thick
09-16-2013, 04:46 PM
No MSU fan would even think about firing Dan if he would try to put points on the board consistently by being creative with with playcalling and getting playmakers the ball consistently.
He shut it down after the initial possession of the second half.

If we were 3-0, 2-1, or 1-2, but putting up 30 plus a game, everyone would have a different feeling. Yes, we would be bitching about Collins, but anytime you can score a lot you have a chance to win.

DownwardDawg
09-16-2013, 04:48 PM
AD's have to eat too. It's not so much Scott that makes the call as it is our boosters. It's like that everywhere. And it also doesn't matter how close Scott and Dan are- Scott is not going to cost himself his job over their friendship. I've heard conflicting reports about Scott and Dan and their friendship anyway- and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I know people are worried because of the basketball coaching search, but it's my guess that the reason things went down like they did were probably because of Payne's connection to Nike.

This is correct. The cigar boys will hire Hud. Scott can like it or not.

CliffDawg39339
09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
See Croom, liberty bowl.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 04:54 PM
This is correct. The cigar boys will hire Hud. Scott can like it or not.

Problem is, will Hud be available?

We should not wait until Mullen falls on his face for two consecutive years. This is OUR program, and if you can already see your coach losing passion, and blowing games, the writing is on the wall. So why wait until we sink or until Hud is hired away by a bigger program than us? It makes no sense. Just because "it would be crazy to fire a coach that went to 3 straight bowls after 1 losing season"? Screw that. We have eyes, and I don't give a shit what the media thinks bc they hate us anyway and will bash whatever decision MSU chooses...so do what is best for MSU. And what's best for MSU is to make that change while we still have a full cupboard of talent where that new coach can come in and take us to an even higher level. And not many teams have a coach like Hud that wants to be at their school, waiting in the wings. This could be a crucial point of our program's future, and if we screw around and let Mullen sink this ship that he built, all the while watching Hud get hired away, it will be another sad sad chapter in what has already been a cry fest of a story in our football history.

Just my opinion anyway

engie
09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Stans had to go because he refused to strengthen his weaknesses. He didn't hire an offensive guy, so it just continued to suck.

The deal with Dan is that not only is it something that needs to be fixed, it is the thing HE is primarily responsible for. Mullen has an opportunity to not do the same thing. Will he......?

He's HAD that opportunity for years...How many YEARS do we give him that opportunity before we force these changes? At that point, in my experience, we'd be better off just firing him outright(or "allowing" him to take another job for a lateral move the exact same way he's done all his assistants that we've run off). "Playing" this game with Mullen is running the risk of missing on a favorite MSU son that is 85-31(57-19) as a head coach.

Does everyone here not remember me proving STATISTICALLY that our offense was a bigger problem than the defense last year? People don't remember me clamoring for Edenfield LAST YEAR(the biggest thing he brings with him was the ability to win in the spread with a lead-footed QB)?

The fact that I, as a fan, see all this 1+ years quicker than Mullen apparently does is Disconcerting.As.Hell. It tells me that he's done a piss poor job of self-scouting. Which has become evident anyway... The failure to fix stuff that is obvious to the rest of us is what's inexcusable to me...

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Pretty sad that a guy would lose his fire and passion coaching at age 41 if that is indeed the case. I do think Mullen needs to lose some of the egotistical arrogance and be able to do some real self evaluation on how he's running the program and the offense in particular.

engie
09-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Problem is, will Hud be available?

We should not wait until Mullen falls on his face for two consecutive years. This is OUR program, and if you can already see your coach losing passion, and blowing games, the writing is on the wall. So why wait until we sink or until Hud is hired away by a bigger program than us? It makes no sense. Just because "it would be crazy to fire a coach that went to 3 straight bowls after 1 losing season"? Screw that. We have eyes, and I don't give a shit what the media thinks bc they hate us anyway and will bash whatever decision MSU chooses...so do what is best for MSU. And what's best for MSU is to make that change while we still have a full cupboard of talent where that new coach can come in and take us to an even higher level. And not many teams have a coach like Hud that wants to be at their school, waiting in the wings. This could be a crucial point of our program's future, and if we screw around and let Mullen sink this ship that he built, all the while watching Hud get hired away, it will be another sad sad chapter in what has already been a cry fest of a story in our football history.

Just my opinion anyway

Hack is already giving you the answer to this that is being heard from the highest levels of our booster structure...

Think they don't realize they could miss on him after he(likely) either wins the Sun Belt or comes in second to Petrino -- as a favorite son of MSU who loves the place?That's what is putting the real heat on Mullen's seat -- the looming thought of not only our stagnation(or regression) -- but the thought of losing the opportunity with Hud.

Now, I believe we could probably call him home from all but a handful of national programs based on what I've heard in the past -- but he's certainly not coming out and saying that to our booster structure(which is smart -- in that it makes them fear waiting too long to bring him home)...

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 05:19 PM
He's HAD that opportunity for years...How many YEARS do we give him that opportunity before we force these changes? At that point, in my experience, we'd be better off just firing him outright(or "allowing" him to take another job for a lateral move the exact same way he's done all his assistants that we've run off). "Playing" this game with Mullen is running the risk of missing on a favorite MSU son that is 85-31(57-19) as a head coach.

Does everyone here not remember me proving STATISTICALLY that our offense was a bigger problem than the defense last year? People don't remember me clamoring for Edenfield LAST YEAR(the biggest thing he brings with him was the ability to win in the spread with a lead-footed QB)?

The fact that I, as a fan, see all this 1+ years quicker than Mullen apparently does is Disconcerting.As.Hell. It tells me that he's done a piss poor job of self-scouting. Which has become evident anyway... The failure to fix stuff that is obvious to the rest of us is what's inexcusable to me...

That last paragraph is my thoughts exactly.

Big4Dawg
09-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I see Hud our football's Cohen. He wants to be here and won't be leaving for another school.

chef dixon
09-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I think its funny that this "Hud" talk has been around since the first rumor Mullen was going to leave maybe 4 years ago, as if there is no doubt that he is our next head coach. Well... he's still not our coach, and it really doesn't seem like he will be anytime soon either.

Dawgfan77
09-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Looks like Nebraska may be open. Need to push Mullen out there and hope tell hell they don't hire HUD

Itsbeenworse
09-16-2013, 07:53 PM
So Mullin brought in this deep and talented roster but we need to turn it over to someone else?

engie
09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
So Mullin brought in this deep and talented roster but we need to turn it over to someone else?

Jackie had a deep and talented roster in 2002 as well...

Letting coaches run it totally into the ground and essentially put us 5 years behind is not the right answer. We got rid of Croom at the correct time and our program is better for it. We kept Jackie a couple of years too long -- and the program suffered. We kept Stans too long and the program suffered and still hasn't even remotely recovered. We kept Polk too long and the program suffered and has just now fully recovered.

Do you not see the clear trend here? But by damn we know how to do this coaching changes thing -- we've GOT to keep the same formula that worked for us in the past**

I'm not saying that Mullen is to that point -- but he's not far from it and if he tanks this year, he will be there. At this point, our 5th win is a toss up(at Arky) -- and we are unlikely to be favored in the other 5 games... 4-8 is exactly what got Croom fired in 2008...

Will James
09-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Looks like Nebraska may be open. Need to push Mullen out there and hope tell hell they don't hire HUD

Nebraska ain't touching Mullenz. They are a national brand.

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Jackie had a deep and talented roster in 2002 as well...

Letting coaches run it totally into the ground and essentially put us 5 years behind is not the right answer. We got rid of Croom at the correct time and our program is better for it. We kept Jackie a couple of years too long -- and the program suffered. We kept Stans too long and the program suffered and still hasn't even remotely recovered. We kept Polk too long and the program suffered and has just now fully recovered.

Do you not see the clear trend here? But by damn we know how to do this coaching changes thing -- we've GOT to keep the same formula that worked for us in the past**

I'm not saying that Mullen is to that point -- but he's not far from it and if he tanks this year, he will be there. At this point, our 5th win is a toss up(at Arky) -- and we are unlikely to be favored in the other 5 games... 4-8 is exactly what got Croom fired in 2008...

THIS all day long. There's no need for us to go Alcorn and 11 before we say "oh, OK maybe we should make a change now." As I said before- we GAVE Dan the chance in the offseason to make changes on both sides of the ball. He chose not to on the offensive side, which is his call. That doesn't mean we have to wait for him to make a change before we take action.

bluelightstar
09-16-2013, 08:32 PM
I think it's kinda funny how people say the media will not let us live down firing Mullen, and they're the ones who've decided he's awful. Everybody sees the writing on the wall right now.

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 08:34 PM
nm

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't have a problem with Hudspeth per se EXCEPT that we are doing what we always do and over****ingreact.
I am sick that we will settle (yes settle) instead of having a national search IF AND WHEN CDM is not here. It pisses me off to no end the sucking offof a certain coach here. That the best we can Do?

Hack is already giving you the answer to this that is being heard from the highest levels of our booster structure...

Think they don't realize they could miss on him after he(likely) either wins the Sun Belt or comes in second to Petrino -- as a favorite son of MSU who loves the place?That's what is putting the real heat on Mullen's seat -- the looming thought of not only our stagnation(or regression) -- but the thought of losing the opportunity with Hud.

Now, I believe we could probably call him home from all but a handful of national programs based on what I've heard in the past -- but he's certainly not coming out and saying that to our booster structure(which is smart -- in that it makes them fear waiting too long to bring him home)...

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't have a problem with Hudspeth per se EXCEPT that we are doing what we always do and over****ingreact.
I am sick that we will settle (yes settle) instead of having a national search IF AND WHEN CDM is not here. It pisses me off to no end the sucking offof a certain coach here. That the best we can Do?

A national search is fine, but I'm honestly not sure that we could pull someone with much better credentials than Hud anyway. Except maybe Mack Brown. And we certainly wouldn't find someone with his credentials and in state connections.

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
For the record Mullen gets another year from me barring losses to troy, BGU and a loss to ole miss.

Wanna be clear. 3 bowls in a row and the man deserves another year. I do not like all this anointing crap.

Dannyripms
09-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Hate to tell you bud but mark hudspeth is one of the best up and coming coaches out there. I would want either him or petrino

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
A national search is fine, but I'm honestly not sure that we could pull someone with much better credentials than Hud anyway. Except maybe Mack Brown. And we certainly wouldn't find someone with his credentials and in state connections.

Exactly. If all of you people would quit reacting with "why not search" or "quit sucking off Hud", and actually LOOK at why we think Hud is a great coach...maybe you would see that hiring Hud wouldn't be "settling"...it would be "making a great damn hire"

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
As usual, we do not agree. If the day comes, we need to focus on the best coach period. There is no guarantee that Hudspeth does any better.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
For the record Mullen gets another year from me barring losses to troy, BGU and a loss to ole miss.

Wanna be clear. 3 bowls in a row and the man deserves another year. I do not like all this anointing crap.

So you say "he gets another year", yet you say if he loses to Ole Miss you're ok with firing him? Might as well jump on board with us then, because I've seen nothing that makes me think we can beat Ole Miss.

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Cad, seriously. We are 1-an FREAKING 2. There is a whole year to play. I wonder what coachcamp thinks about all this?? Seems I remember certain posters telling us message board posts matter! Not a slam but everyone needs to quit overreacting. Damn.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Cad, seriously. We are 1-an FREAKING 2. There is a whole year to play. I wonder what coachcamp thinks about all this?? Seems I remember certain posters telling us message board posts matter! Not a slam but everyone needs to quit overreacting. Damn.

Sorry that you think I'm overreacting. I just want our coach to practice what he preaches. But I haven't seen anything resembling relentless effort since 2011 or longer. I want what is best for MSU, and Mullen has been in a funk for over a year now. I don't want us to fall into a spiral before making a move this time, and if we can't beat Auburn.....well, there aren't many more winnable games on the schedule.

I see where you're coming from though. I'll try to be careful.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Might as well jump on board with us then, because I've seen nothing that makes me think we can beat Ole Miss.

2009 says hello

We're not going to lose to them at home

engie
09-16-2013, 09:17 PM

All that is fine. But there is NO ONE BETTER FOR MSU in my opinion. It's been laid out why I think that both here and other threads. Are there better coaches out there than Hugh Freeze? Sure. Are there better coaches out there than Hugh Freeze FOR OLE MISS? See where I'm going with it...

Did we have a national search when we hired Cohen? Why didn't we complain about it? After all -- MSU has always been a destination baseball school.

I find the fanbase-wide double-standard interesting to say the least... When you get your first option, why do you need to have a national search? Of course, you can waste a couple of weeks of recruiting for a faux search and do some interviewing like OM did...

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 09:18 PM
2009 says hello

We're not going to lose to them at home

Hope you're right. What does 2009 have to do with anything? That was when Mullen had a set of nuts on him, remember?

Coach34
09-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Sorry that you think I'm overreacting. I just want our coach to practice what he preaches. But I haven't seen anything resembling relentless effort since 2011 or longer. I want what is best for MSU, and Mullen has been in a funk for over a year now. I don't want us to fall into a spiral before making a move this time, and if we can't beat Auburn.....well, there aren't many more winnable games on the schedule.

I see where you're coming from though. I'll try to be careful.

wtf? Auburn is a damn bowl team this year...you guys will be singing a different tune in 3 weeks. They are damn sure better than Vandy and Auburn has 2 weeks to get ready for OM while OM is getting beat on by Bama

engie
09-16-2013, 09:20 PM

This is not "overreactionary" for me -- it's something that has been slowly happening ever since I WATCHED Mullen quit against LSU in 2011 at home....

Has nothing to do with wins and losses either. It's what I see beyond/behind that...

Noxdog
You know coach after all the years, we seem to agree more and more.

Coach34
Hope you're right. What does 2009 have to do with anything? That was when Mullen had a set of nuts on him, remember?

Dude- he got conservative with a young QB making his 1st start on the road- he's not the first coach to do it and he wont be the last. I'm not happy about itbut I still see us winning 6 games this year if we keep Dakota at QB and keep playing D

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 09:22 PM
wtf? Auburn is a damn bowl team this year...you guys will be singing a different tune in 3 weeks. They are damn sure better than Vandy and Auburn has 2 weeks to get ready for OM while OM is getting beat on by Bama

They are better than Vandy? Based on what? Your agenda to make us not look as bad? You have nothing to base that on. Vandy lost to two top 25 teams at least. Auburn may end up being a bowl team, but only because they play a schedule like ours last year. If you think that QB of theirs is worth a shit, you're crazy

Noxdog
09-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks cadaver. All i'm saying is we have a recruiting class and recuits to hang on to. Let the year play out.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-16-2013, 09:23 PM

2009 we had a better team than what we have now.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Dude- he got conservative with a young QB making his 1st start on the road- he's not the first coach to do it and he wont be the last. I'm not happy about itbut I still see us winning 6 games this year if we keep Dakota at QB and keep playing D

Right, and you started the year thinking we could win what? 8. Now you're down to 6. And soon you may be down to 4 or 5. Look, I WANT Mullen to succeed, but I have a job and if I don't put my best effort out there, I don't get results. Mullen has been letting this team down, so if he turns it around, Great. But what have you seen in the last 9 games that makes you think he will flip back to the Dan of old? We FINALLY had things clicking on offense and Mullen pissed it away.

I hope like hell that we turn it around, but much like I said coming into this year...I'm done assuming it will happen, I'm ready to see some shit.

Noxdog
You already addressed my post once engie. I love your passion but calm down.

Coach34
All that is fine. But there is NO ONE BETTER FOR MSU in my opinion. It's been laid out why I think that both here and other threads. Are there better coaches out there than Hugh Freeze? Sure. Are there better coaches out there than Hugh Freeze FOR OLE MISS? See where I'm going with it...

Did we have a national search when we hired Cohen? Why didn't we complain about it? After all -- MSU has always been a destination baseball school.

I find the fanbase-wide double-standard interesting to say the least... When you get your first option, why do you need to have a national search? Of course, you can waste a couple of weeks of recruiting for a faux search and do some interviewing like OM did...

what about Kyle Whittingham? He and I have a mutual friend and he said Whittingham told him he would take the State job in a heartbeat. Said "who doesnt want to coach against the best in college football"???

Just too much Hud talk right now- lots of football left. And if we do make a change- it needs to be a national search

Coach34
09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
They are better than Vandy? Based on what? Your agenda to make us not look as bad? You have nothing to base that on. Vandy lost to two top 25 teams at least. Auburn may end up being a bowl team, but only because they play a schedule like ours last year. If you think that QB of theirs is worth a shit, you're crazy

duly noted. We'll revisit this in a few weeks

State82
09-16-2013, 09:36 PM
As usual, we do not agree. If the day comes, we need to focus on the best coach period. There is no guarantee that Hudspeth does any better.

There are no guarantees in this business, any other business, or life in general. If you wait for a guarantee before making a change/decision in the business world you will be left in everyone's dust. We are starting to approach that point with the program now. Maybe we are not at the crossroads, but it is looming fast. We don't need the "best" coach. We need the "best coach for MSU". There is a big difference. The "best coach for MSU" is most probably not Dan Mullen.

engie
09-16-2013, 09:37 PM
I hope like hell that we turn it around, but much like I said coming into this year...I'm done assuming it will happen, I'm ready to see some shit.

This ultimately says it...

Momentum is all-but-gone at this point and will take something major changing to turn it back into Dan's favor...

engie
09-16-2013, 09:43 PM
what about Kyle Whittingham? He and I have a mutual friend and he said Whittingham told him he would take the State job in a heartbeat. Said "who doesnt want to coach against the best in college football"???

Just too much Hud talk right now- lots of football left. And if we do make a change- it needs to be a national search

I'm not sure really. It's the same Meyer coaching tree... They didn't bowl last year -- and are unlikely to this year. Some trouble with the Pac12 transition was expected, but theirs is happening in years 2 and 3, which is kinda strange. Certainly has a very good overall resume...Would be starting anew in MS though with no connections. While Hudspeth would put us 2 years ahead on the recruiting front in comparison to hiring an "outsider"...

Pollodawg
09-16-2013, 10:30 PM
This will be the first season since 2003 that OM comes into Starkville and beats us. This is nothing like 2009. Mullen isn't the same, and Houston Nutt isn't calling the shots in Oxford anymore.

Pollodawg
09-16-2013, 10:31 PM
And I would prefer a seasoned coach. I think a job like State needs one.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Well Hudspeth has pretty much seen it all at all levels except the SEC. He isn't Mack Brown seasoned...but he is more seasoned than Freeze, Malzahn, etc were when they were hired and they are both doing well so far. Plus, I want a fairly young energetic guy that is going to hit the recruiting trail hard. And I love that he wants to be at State...much like Cohen, it adds a little fuel to their fire once they get here because they want to win at MSU, not just win to jump to the next job. I love that about Cohen

engie
09-16-2013, 10:45 PM
This is Hud's 10th year as a head coach at the collegiate level. 7 in d2 -- this is his 3rd in the Sun Belt...

We are unlikely to find much with more head coaching experience from a number of years perspective... at least not in the young, energetic demographic that we will almost certainly go after...

Will James
09-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I agree fully with Engie on this issue and would like to see HUD calling the shots come December.

Actually I would like to win out and play in the Sugar Bowl but I see the witing on the wall plain as day. It's still invisible ink for some. Engie saw in 2011 vs LSU. My spark was A&M last year when we couldn't do dog shit on a D that gave up 57 points and 615 yds to La Tech only a few weeks previous. I vowed if Mullenz didn't turn that pile of turds around this year I'm done. I clamored for the Dak Coast Offense all offseason with others here. What did I get??? TR, same shit different day NO IMPROVEMENT 3 measly ass points against a very incapable OSU Big 12 D.

All this is FOLLOWED by that absolute debacle in Auburn.

Thank you Merlin for your service. Croom was the disaster. You were the maintainer. We have maintained the BASE of where we need to be. HUD, like A.I. is the answer. We have the stadium now, the facilities, the players... Let's get the coach. (Let's get to real crootin/compliance while we're at it Strickleton... Bracky)

engie
09-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm not saying I "saw" the whole picture in 2011 -- I didn't and likely still don't. But the illusion of "relentless effort" was cracked for me at that point. That was the first time that I felt Mullen, himself, had failed to act as he preached...

Todd4State
09-17-2013, 12:23 AM

How many years does Hud need to be "seasoned"? ULL was a fart of the map of college football. A complete trainwreck with no hope and had not even been competitive in the Sun Belt until they hired Hud.

Since 1993 when they won 8 games, they have had prior to Hud arriving THREE winning seasons. Their record in each of those seasons was 6-5. They also had three 6-6 seasons in that same span and the rest losing seasons including two 1-10 seasons.

When they got Hud, they immediately went from 3-9 to two 9-4 seasons under Hudspeth. Their losses under Hud- Oklahoma State twice, a good Western Kentucky team, a good Arkansas State team twice, Arizona, North Texas on the road, Florida by SEVEN, and then this year to Arkansas and Kansas State. He has led them to TWO bowl wins in two years and has them pretty much contending for the conference title since he has arrived. Before Hud got there, the last time they even went to a bowl was 1970.

And my personal favorite stat- the worst game that they have had offensively- 20 points twice.

Pollodawg
09-17-2013, 12:35 AM
How many years does Hud need to be "seasoned"? ULL was a fart of the map of college football. A complete trainwreck with no hope and had not even been competitive in the Sun Belt until they hired Hud.

Since 1993 when they won 8 games, they have had prior to Hud arriving THREE winning seasons. Their record in each of those seasons was 6-5. They also had three 6-6 seasons in that same span and the rest losing seasons including two 1-10 seasons.

When they got Hud, they immediately went from 3-9 to two 9-4 seasons under Hudspeth. Their losses under Hud- Oklahoma State twice, a good Western Kentucky team, a good Arkansas State team twice, Arizona, North Texas on the road, Florida by SEVEN, and then this year to Arkansas and Kansas State. He has led them to TWO bowl wins in two years and has them pretty much contending for the conference title since he has arrived. Before Hud got there, the last time they even went to a bowl was 1970.

And my personal favorite stat- the worst game that they have had offensively- 20 points twice.

I'm sold.

Dawgface
09-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm sold.

+1

JOHNHEVESYMADE
09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
So if Mullen goes 4-8 and gets blasted by Ole Miss is there anyway he doesn't get fired? From a money perspective, I don't see how State can afford to keep Mullen. With a brand new stadium and having to sell season tickets there is nothing for the marketing department to sell.

maroonmania
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
So if Mullen goes 4-8 and gets blasted by Ole Miss is there anyway he doesn't get fired? From a money perspective, I don't see how State can afford to keep Mullen. With a brand new stadium and having to sell season tickets there is nothing for the marketing department to sell.

If you gave me a choice today from scratch and said do you want Mullen or do you want Hud I would choose Hud based on what I believe I know. Its just going to be difficult though to make the switch after one losing season (if that happens) after 3 straight bowl years and a lot of young talent on board. My question and I'm just curious, what would Mullen's buyout be at the end of this year anyway?

Dannyripms
09-18-2013, 10:21 AM
not sure but somewhere I read that we had money from mr. seal that would take care of the coaches. so whatever it is im sure we could buy it out. I honestly believe bringing hud in would be best. staley would really excel in that offense. just look at his qb down there.

Op4isabitch
09-18-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm not ready to call it quits on Mullen just yet. If I see the 2009,2010 Dan back for the remainder of the season, along with Les being let go and the addition of a shit hot OC for next year then I'd be happy I guess.
However if I continue to see the same Dan that I've seen for the last 18 months than you can count me as a passenger on the HUD train!

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Bracky relieved of his duties and in all honesty I'm not a fan of Scott either! I sure wish the Ninja had of stayed around here longer.

bocfarm
09-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Leach over Hud all day long

BHildreth3
09-18-2013, 10:44 AM
i want Hudspeth right now just b/c of this shit (i'm kidding, but GD can you imagine the speeches in the EGGG BOWWLL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXE-Wc9pUZQ

engie
09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Its just going to be difficult though to make the switch after one losing season (if that happens) after 3 straight bowl years and a lot of young talent on board. My question and I'm just curious, what would Mullen's buyout be at the end of this year anyway?

Does it have to be though? Has any of our assistant coach transitions been difficult? Was that Mullen or Strick?

Point is -- if we've been honest with each other(Mullen and MSU) -- he could easily take a lateral move at the end of the season to any number of jobs and open the door for us with Hud. We could even quietly pay the $1.4 million for the buyout. We will know we pushed him out the door(just like Wilson, Melvin, Torbush, etc...), but it won't make much negative press for us outside the normal "it's an impossible place to win" stuff.

DownwardDawg
09-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Leach over Hud all day long

Good grief no!!! Although, that would be so Miss State.

bocfarm
09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Good grief no!!! Although, that would be so Miss State.

Watch what he does with WSU

Jack Lambert
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Next year will be a very good year and I still think we get to a bowl game this year.

Big4Dawg
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Anyone care to piece together Hud's staff?

OC: Koenning - nope
RB: Greg Knox - I'd keep him, RBs have been pretty good and decent recruiter.
WR: Gonzales - is a Mullen guy, probably gone.
OL: Havesy - Same with Gonzales
TE: Sallach - gone

DC: Collins - impressive so far
DL: Turner - keep
CB: Townsend - keep
S: Hughes - keep

New staff:
OC: Kenny Edenfield - Troy's OC now. Was OC at North Alabama.
RB: Knox
WR: ?????
OL: ?????
TE: Reed Stringer - with Hud now at LL. Mississippi State guy.
DC: Collins
DL: Turner
CB: Townsend
S: Hughes

engie
09-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Watch what he does with WSU

I think he'll probably do well up there, but it isn't the SEC west -- and he wouldn't consider this a destination job. Nevermind that we probably couldn't afford to take him from Washington St where he already makes $2.3mil with a longterm deal..

All things equal, I'd take Hud over Leach. Hud = Cohen in many ways to me. I want the edge of the sword that we don't have to deal with "coach leaving" speculation nonstop. The difference just that aspect makes in recruiting is huge...

engie
09-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Anyone care to piece together Hud's staff?

OC: Koenning - nope
RB: Greg Knox - I'd keep him, RBs have been pretty good and decent recruiter.
WR: Gonzales - is a Mullen guy, probably gone.
OL: Havesy - Same with Gonzales
TE: Sallach - gone

DC: Collins - impressive so far
DL: Turner - keep
CB: Townsend - keep
S: Hughes - keep

New staff:
OC: Kenny Edenfield - Troy's OC now. Was OC at North Alabama.
RB: Knox
WR: ?????
OL: ?????
TE: Reed Stringer - with Hud now at LL. Mississippi State guy.
DC: Collins
DL: Turner
CB: Townsend
S: Hughes

I have trumpeted Edenfield all along -- and I expect Hud to go after him. I wouldn't just "give" this position to him though. Could also very easily go after Steve Campbell. Hud went after them BOTH as OC @ ULL, where he couldn't pay them enough to get them to make the lateral move.

If I had to say:
OC: Edenfield
OL/Co-OC/Assoc HC: Campbell(a "MSU guy" that would stay through success unless he got a HC opportunity)

Not sure beyond that. Although I think I might be in favor of eliminating the TE coach(let them practice pass catching with the WR and blocking with the OL) and adding a DE coach(let Turner focus on the DTs)...

tcdog70
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
ol-Steve Campbell
wr-Brad Peterson

with Campbell being asst HC

engie
09-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't really like dipping into the HS ranks for a WR coach -- especially when that guy is building a powerhouse where the talent predominantly goes to MSU... Too many good coaches out there with major recruiting ties that help us in adjoining states... I may be wrong...

A special teams' coach is also a possibility...

Barking 13
09-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't really like dipping into the HS ranks for a WR coach -- especially when that guy is building a powerhouse where the talent predominantly goes to MSU... Too many good coaches out there with major recruiting ties that help us in adjoining states... I may be wrong...

A special teams' coach is also a possibility...

What's Westerfield doing these days? lol