PDA

View Full Version : Dline

dawgman15
07-14-2017, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen a lot of talk about our Dline. Should we be worried that it is going to be a young line?

Jack Lambert
07-14-2017, 11:22 AM
I haven't seen a lot of talk about our Dline. Should we be worried that it is going to be a young line?

I think it depends on those JUCO's. Not sure. One thing for sure Simmons is going to require two O-Lineman when he is in the game.

dawgman15
07-14-2017, 11:25 AM
I think Marquiss Spencer could be a force. In the limited action he had he was quick off the jump and big.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2017, 11:37 AM
I think Marquiss Spencer could be a force. In the limited action he had he was quick off the jump and big.

Marquiss is an OLB like Sweat & Green

dawgman15
07-14-2017, 11:43 AM
He might be a hybrid but definitely saw him on the line last year.

louisvilledawg
07-14-2017, 11:49 AM
What about Kobe? Where he gonna be?

RiverCityDawg
07-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Marquiss is an OLB like Sweat & Green

My question is how often will we see at least two of those three on the field at the same time? Maybe you go nickle in passing situations, but at that point you probably want Sweat on the field. Does Green then go to the bench? I'm really interested to see how all that is managed.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2017, 12:06 PM
My question is how often will we see at least two of those three on the field at the same time? Maybe you go nickle in passing situations, but at that point you probably want Sweat on the field. Does Green then go to the bench? I'm really interested to see how all that is managed.

Sweat & Green are the starting OLB

PMDawg
07-14-2017, 12:37 PM

I think it will be fine. Should get better as the year progresses.

We have a few that are already pretty known and have some talent
Simmons
Thomas
Adams

A couple that should get better as the year goes
Autry
Kobe

And a guy with experience if we need a back-up for a bit in Hoyett. Not terribly deep, but talented. As long as Simmons is in the middle, we are so overstocked in LBs it's not funny. He needs to occupy the middle and free up our OLBs to wreak havoc; and he will.

lamont
07-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Sweat , Simmons, Thomas, Green will be our starting DL- Thats 2 for sure NFL players if not 4

Depth is my main concern.

Dallas_Dawg
07-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Sucks to lose Deion Pope. He looked big and athletic in spring.
Hopefully Rivers can help. Interested to see Kobe Jones.
What ever happened to Grant Harris? Wasn't he supppsed to be a stud? Also Fletcher Adams

DancingRabbit
07-14-2017, 01:14 PM
Sweat , Simmons, Thomas, Green will be our starting DL- Thats 2 for sure NFL players if not 4

Aren't we running a 3-4?

lamont
07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Aren't we running a 3-4?

Yep- Even though Sweat and Green are DE's, one can drop into coverage at times. 3-4 teams walk up a LB/DE to the TE or strength side

hailmari
07-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Don't forget about Rivers.

lamont
07-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Don't forget about Rivers.

Rivers and Spencer will back up Green and Sweat- need some DT's to step up for depth

RiverCityDawg
07-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Yep- Even though Sweat and Green are DE's, one can drop into coverage at times. 3-4 teams walk up a LB/DE to the TE or strength side

So who is the other linebacker in base D?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2017, 01:58 PM
I think it goes

DE - Thomas
NG - Simmons
DE - Rivers
OLB - Sweat
ILB - Harris
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Green

mstatefan91
07-14-2017, 02:02 PM
I think it goes

DE - Thomas
NG - Simmons
DE - Rivers
OLB - Sweat
ILB - Harris
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Green

This looks correct, but you would know coach.

lamont
07-14-2017, 02:06 PM
I think it goes

DE - Thomas
NG - Simmons
DE - Rivers
OLB - Sweat
ILB - Harris
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Green

I'd be shocked if it ends up that way. Rivers size is a concern and there is not enough speed on the field in that group.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2017, 02:08 PM
I'd be shocked if it ends up that way. Rivers size is a concern and there is not enough speed on the field in that group.

Rivers is the same size as AJ last year. Who do you have as the front 7?

lamont
07-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Rivers is the same size as AJ last year. Who do you have as the front 7?

And last year we didnt have enough speed on D as well as werent physical enough.

I think we will play a ton of guys and it will be more down specific. But I dont even think our staff knows at this point

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2017, 02:29 PM
And last year we didnt have enough speed on D as well as werent physical enough.

I think we will play a ton of guys and it will be more down specific. But I dont even think our staff knows at this point

Gotcha even though I think Rivers is quicker & faster than AJ. With Sweat & Green at OLB we have a ton of length & versatility. We'll see how it plays out.

HSVDawg
07-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Agree with this. Need Kobe, Adams, and one or 2 more to step on the 2nd team.

Jack Lambert
07-14-2017, 02:44 PM

No matter what happens I just can't imagine our defense being worse next season then it was this pass.

louisvilledawg
07-14-2017, 02:50 PM
No matter what happens I just can't imagine our defense being worse next season then it was this pass.

Hell, you would be as good or better than last year if you were to stick me, 9 folding chairs, and my grandmother out there to play defense. Of course, she's 6'3" 250, runs a 4.5 in the 40.

confucius say
07-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Can someone do a projected two deep for the defense? Random, iyok?

lamont
07-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Gotcha even though I think Rivers is quicker & faster than AJ. With Sweat & Green at OLB we have a ton of length & versatility. We'll see how it plays out.

agreed on Rivers- but AJ is a more physical player.

https://twitter.com/SpreadOffense/status/884187494341804032

Things likes this worry me about Green and Sweat being on the field at the same time unless they are both in DE mode.

lamont
07-14-2017, 05:39 PM

We will be a better defense- there is no doubt about it. Def top half of the SEC. Top 5 SEC would surprise though

Where'sWaldo
07-14-2017, 06:02 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why our fans continue to think Geri Green is a stud when he looks lost and plays with no instincts every time he sees the field. I've never seen him make an above avg play. Yes he has the measurables but up to this point he hasnt proven anything and shouldn't be starting.

lamont
07-14-2017, 06:11 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why our fans continue to think Geri Green is a stud when he looks lost and plays with no instincts every time he sees the field. I've never seen him make an above avg play. Yes he has the measurables but up to this point he hasnt proven anything and shouldn't be starting.

Green is a undersized rush DE that is trying to play drop LB. He needs to work hard to bulk up to 255 and rush the passer. He will be able to make a living in the NFL is he does this

Maroon Wizardry
07-14-2017, 06:46 PM
What about Cory Thomas, Fletcher Adams, Lee Autry and Tre Brown... i thought Autry was gonna be really good. I also thought Sweat was gonna beef up some and specialize in pass rushing situations. hybrid DE/LB

Dawgfan77
07-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Hoyette played well last year. Thought he and Thomas we the most improved on the DL. Autry may take a little while but he is disruptive in the middle. Kobe is unknown currently but he and Adams will add depth. We are not 14 deep but we will be really good at DL this year

Don't forget Jung at OLB. Played well toward the end of the year last year