PDA

View Full Version : The WR out of bounds call?....

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I was at the game in the opposite end zone so didn't see what happened over on that far sideline nor have I watched a replay. Did the receiver truly get "pushed" out of bounds on the TD catch? I'm assuming it was a legit call since I haven't seen any complaints about it on the board.

Barking 13
09-16-2013, 02:14 PM
well, depends on who you ask.... what about pass interference and holding? Never saw the hanky on those either...

smootness
09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
No, he was not truly 'pushed'. Whoever the CB was (Jiles?) came up to jam him, and the TE made sort of a swim move to avoid him and get past him, which is where he stepped out. I don't know how anyone can consider that a push; the rule may be written in such a way that if the WR is even just avoiding a defensive player when he goes out of bounds, then the play stands, I don't know. But no, as far as I'm concerned, he wasn't at all actually pushed.

AROB44
09-16-2013, 02:20 PM
He was forced (maybe not pushed) out of bounds.

bocfarm
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
We lost

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
He was forced (maybe not pushed) out of bounds.

So how do you "force" a WR out of bounds if you don't push him? Seems to me that if he goes out of bounds without it being from forcible contact from an opposing player then he just went out of bounds by choice.

bulldawg28
09-16-2013, 02:48 PM
We lost

This.

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 02:48 PM
We lost

Never give up, never surrender!

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 02:53 PM
The worst call was the fact that Nick Marshall was past the line of scrimmage on his pass to himself. Why do you think our CB had a hard time trying to catch the pass...IT WAS ILLEGAL. It caught him off guard. That one non-call by the ref could have cost as much as anything. And I am kind of shocked no one really brought it up. That would have been 5 yards and loss of down which would has been 4th down.

tcdog70
09-16-2013, 03:08 PM
I might be wrong but once the defense touches a pass anyone can catch it

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Nick Marshall was about a yard or two past the line of scrimmage when he threw the pass .

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Nick Marshall was about a yard or two past the line of scrimmage when he threw the pass .

Is that something our staff could have challenged?

smootness
09-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I definitely noticed he was right at the line, just didn't go back to see exactly where the ball was snapped. But when it's that close, usually the QB is actually not past the line b/c if any part of their body is still behind the line when the ball was thrown, they're considered to be behind the line.

I'm guessing it was actually a legal pass.

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Yes, it is. We didnt and the announcers didnt even mention anything. It was almost like it was business as usual. But, I have really never known Mullen to challenge anything and Marshall did it where the Auburn sideline was so I don't think they would have done us any favors there.

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 03:30 PM
He was passed the line of scrimmage when he released the ball.

7dawg
09-16-2013, 03:30 PM

He wasn't past the LoS. Check the replay. He was right on it and the O gets that call everytime.

lutedog
09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Marshall wasn't even close to being past the line of scrimmage. See video here:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/9/15/4732664/nick-marshall-auburn-self-completion

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 03:35 PM
He was extremely close but I see now he didn't go over. But it was very close. My bad he released the ball so bad that I assume he threw it at the right point. How is this guy a QB again?

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I will also add that ball was so poorly thrown that if our guy doesn't tip it odds are good it gets picked off from our other guy. That ball was way off its intended target which I am assuming was the WR over the middle. Go figure.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I will also add that ball was so poorly thrown that if our guy doesn't tip it odds are good it gets picked off from our other guy. That ball was way off its intended target which I am assuming was the WR over the middle. Go figure.

Seriously? Their WR was wide open in the flat, what are you watching? I know you are trying to prove a point, but that's the wrong play to do it on. If we don't tip that it's about a 10 yard gain instead of 40 though

lutedog
09-16-2013, 04:17 PM
No...he wasn't close. By rule, the entire body has to be across the line of scrimmage in order for it to be a violation. If he even has one foot still behind the line of scrimmage (regardless of the location of the ball) when the ball is released, it is a legal pass.