PDA

View Full Version : Is Saturday an audition for Kenny Edenfield?

codeDawg
09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I can only hope...

civildawg
09-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I doubt it. I want mullen to leave as much as anyone but Strickland is his buddy and I just cant see him firing dan anytime soon

Coach34
09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
People are too quick to think Hud will hire this guy. I think there is just as much of a chance of Hud hiring Steve Campbell to be his OC

hacker
09-16-2013, 02:20 PM
I doubt it. I want mullen to leave as much as anyone but Strickland is his buddy and I just cant see him firing dan anytime soon

Pretty sure he meant as OC. o_O

msstate7
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
People are too quick to think Hud will hire this guy. I think there is just as much of a chance of Hud hiring Steve Campbell to be his OC

People are too quick to consider who hud will hire here since he isn't here.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 02:42 PM
People are too quick to consider who hud will hire here since he isn't here.

Ha, yep. Now not only are we penciling Hud in as our coach...we are already speculating on his OC hire! Haha

AROB44
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I still don't understand why Hud would be annointed with the job. Just because he wants to be here and can recruit Miss? That also applied to Rocky Felker.

fishwater99
09-16-2013, 02:50 PM

So we have Hud in 2016? No way we fire Mullen this year and next year we can win 7.

bocfarm
09-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately Mullen is here to stay for a while, hopefully by the end of this yr he realizes he didn't invent football and hires an OC and let's him have some influence on the offensive gameplan bc if not it will be the death of him.

starkvegasdawg
09-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Is there a scenario you can conceive where maybe The Visor hires this guy?

codeDawg
09-16-2013, 04:03 PM

I don't think it WILL happen, but Mullen SHOULD fire himself as OC and hire Edenfield.

There is no good reason why Mullen should continue to be the OC. We haven't cracked the top 50 in points per game since he has been here, and we are pretty far away from it right now. Meanwhile, teams with less talent and depth are doing it.

I like Mullen. I want him to stick around, but if he is going to be a head coach, he has to get some help with the offense.

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 04:22 PM

I kind of figured that Campbell would be the o-line coach.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I kind of figured that Campbell would be the o-line coach.

He's "been there- done that"...If I'm him, I'd stay HC at Golf Coast before being a line coach...Hud is going to call most of the plays anyway

Todd4State
09-16-2013, 04:54 PM
He's "been there- done that"...If I'm him, I'd stay HC at Golf Coast before being a line coach...Hud is going to call most of the plays anyway

We would definitely have to give him an "assistant head coach" title or something to get him to come on board. It's a win/win for us either way- he's a great ally to have in the JUCO system.

engie
09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I can only hope...

No. The Saturday 357 days ago should have been the only audition he needed...

engie
09-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Why couldn't he hire them both as co-OCs with Campbell as the OL coach and Edenfield as the QB coach? That's honestly how I would expect Hud to do it...at least in the terms of offering the jobs...

Edenfield was Hud's OC for 6 years at North Alabama before leaving and heading home to Troy. Hud went after them both for OC at ULL, and they both publicly turned down that job(Hud was originally one of the lowest paid coaches in all of FBS -- so salary was obviously an issue there that it wouldn't be at MSU). His relationship with both is well documented...

I'd be happy with either guy honestly... BOTH would be TREMENDOUS upgrades over what we've got now. I mean, seriously. Compare these resumes...

Steve Campbell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Campbell)
Kenny Edenfield (http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?path=football&rc=444)
Les Koenning (http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3636562)

engie
09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I still don't understand why Hud would be annointed with the job. Just because he wants to be here and can recruit Miss? That also applied to Rocky Felker.

Terrible comparison is terrible...

Rockey was 85-31 as a head coach? He'd won a national title as an OC(d2 @ Delta St with Hud under Cambell) -- and made the "final 4" as a head coach of a true playoff 3 times in 7 years? Or made the final 8 5 times in 7 years? That's in a division with 282 members. Rocky led a team that had NEVER been to a bowl game to back-to-back 9-win seasons in the Sun Belt?

Oh, that's right -- Rockey was a WR/DB coach at Alabama with zero head coaching experience when we hired him...

engie
09-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Hud could/would pay him whatever it takes to get him here -- if he's money driven at all, which he might not be...

I'd be perfectly happy with letting him be the OC as well... There is NO "lose" between him and Edenfield....

People don't even realize that Campbell has now won 3 national titles in D2 and JUCO(2 as a coach, 1 as a player)...

Op4isabitch
09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't think it WILL happen, but Mullen SHOULD fire himself as OC and hire Edenfield.

There is no good reason why Mullen should continue to be the OC. We haven't cracked the top 50 in points per game since he has been here, and we are pretty far away from it right now. Meanwhile, teams with less talent and depth are doing it.

I like Mullen. I want him to stick around, but if he is going to be a head coach, he has to get some help with the offense.

I agree, if I'm Stricklin I'm not giving Dan the option. I'm telling him to fire Les and then if he wants to remain the Head Coach he needs to find an offensive coordinator that can put up the points.

I've said it before but Dan needs to think of himself more as a CEO and less as a manager.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Campbell is a damn good coach, I wouldnt be disappointed at all with him on staff

Coach34
09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
I've said it before but Dan needs to think of himself more as a CEO and less as a manager.

And this is the hardest thing for coaches under the age of 50- they want to still make all the calls