PDA

View Full Version : Something nobody is admitting about the Auburn game...

Ronny
09-16-2013, 10:54 AM
...I have seen a whole bunch of compelling analysis of the Auburn game, but I have not seen one person admit what every MSU fan knew who was watching that game: Auburn was going to win the game on their final drive.

If you are a MSU fan over the age of 40 there was 100% certainty in your heart Auburn was going to win that game. You knew what we were watching. But you couldn't turn away because you were longing for the miracle you knew wasn't goiing to happen.

If you are a MSU fan under the age of 40 you just learned a valuable lesson about MSU football: Historically, I don't give a damn who the coach is, Miss. State is the worst crunch-time football team in the history of college football teams. And that legacy remained intact with the Auburn ****-up.

What we had was 2 mediocre teams who were evenly matched talent-wise but one of the teams was playing in front of 85K screaming home fans. The road team (MSU) , discombobulated due to poor coaching & traditional MSU bad luck, had played their hearts out. They were seconds away from victory but what does it take to pull out road voctories in these kind of games?

It takes a player stepping up & making the play of the game. Like Jackie Sherrill use to say, sometimes a game hinges on a single play by a single playmaker.

MSU does not possess such a playmaker. MSU does not have the player who could have made the key INT or sack on Auburn final drive thereby robbing Auburn's threat of victory. Or should I say if we do have such a playmaker, shitty coaching is misappropriating his talent.

I have been a MSU fan long enough to realize how that game was going to end.

Most of you of my generation reading this are the same way: Deep in your heart, you knew good & well MSU was going to **** up in the final seconds & lose that game.

At least admit it.

dawgM2
09-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, I may be only in my 20s, but I had the exact same feeling.

C222
09-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I figured it was going to happen. Didn't think a TE would beat our starting CB though.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Ronny, you underestimate the age thing. I am 30 and I knew Auburn would win as soon as Mullen took the offense off the field on 4th and 2. One day we will have a coach that has a killer instinct and isn't afraid to kick a team in the teeth and then smile about it. Mullen ain't that guy

Hypnodawg
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
I was excited to see us go for it on 4th and inches, figured the game was in the bag. I flipped out when we sent the punt unit in. As you said, I knew what was going to happen.

quickstrike2
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
27 here and knew how the outcome would be. Just had no confidence in holding them.

bocfarm
09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Hilarious, I felt the same way watching that drive especially after the first couple of pass plays...I just couldn't help myself from watching

AROB44
09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Well I am well over 40 and was sure of the outcome. And I agree with you Cadaver....Mullen just does not understand that you never take your foot off the pedal. I am not sure I will live long enough to see a coach at State that does understand that. Maybe in our requirements for a head coach is that he must always try not to lose instead of continuing to win. Damn....I hope in my next life I am not a MSU fan !!

I seen it dawg
09-16-2013, 11:08 AM
+1 Ronny

SignalToNoise
09-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I was watching from a bar and I told everyone that would listen that AU was about to score a TD. Never a doubt in my mind.

HancockCountyDog
09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
...I have seen a whole bunch of compelling analysis of the Auburn game, but I have not seen one person admit what every MSU fan knew who was watching that game: Auburn was going to win the game on their final drive.

If you are a MSU fan over the age of 40 there was 100% certainty in your heart Auburn was going to win that game. You knew what we were watching. But you couldn't turn away because you were longing for the miracle you knew wasn't goiing to happen.

If you are a MSU fan under the age of 40 you just learned a valuable lesson about MSU football: Historically, I don't give a damn who the coach is, Miss. State is the worst crunch-time football team in the history of college football teams. And that legacy remained intact with the Auburn ****-up.

What we had was 2 mediocre teams who were evenly matched talent-wise but one of the teams was playing in front of 85K screaming home fans. The road team (MSU) , discombobulated due to poor coaching & traditional MSU bad luck, had played their hearts out. They were seconds away from victory but what does it take to pull out road voctories in these kind of games?

It takes a player stepping up & making the play of the game. Like Jackie Sherrill use to say, sometimes a game hinges on a single play by a single playmaker.

MSU does not possess such a playmaker. MSU does not have the player who could have made the key INT or sack on Auburn final drive thereby robbing Auburn's threat of victory. Or should I say if we do have such a playmaker, shitty coaching is misappropriating his talent.

Most of you of my generation reading this are the same way: Deep in your heart, you knew good & well MSU was going to **** up in the final seconds & lose that game.

At least admit it.

This is just bullshit. We have won games like this in the past. Do I need to pull up the clip of Wyatt hitting a game winner against AU? Do I need to pull up a clip of CJ being open?

Everything I just read is just excuses. The reason we lose games, usually is because we either don't have talented players or talented coaches. Not some pit in your stomach feeling. Its not dead indians. Its talent and coaching. Want to know why I know? Because the Boston Red Sox have won 2 WS titles. THe most tortured fan base in the country actually beat the Yankees in the most dramatic way possible. Why? Talent and coaching. That is what wins.

We get the players and get the coaches, and guess what? You win ball games like this. We have in the past, and we can again, but some of our fans can't get out of their own way.

PassInterference
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM

At least admit it.

Have an A1 day.

Saltydog
09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
the game with that if they got the ball back, the would score and beat us. Typical Mississippi STate; can't stand prosperity.

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 11:38 AM
In my 40s here and I will definitely admit it. I was in JH Stadium and once we didn't score on the Whitley INT inside Auburn territory that feeling came over me that no way was 20 points going to win that game and for the rest of the quarter I felt like I was watching a train wreck in slow motion that I couldn't stop, all I could do was sit there and watch it happen and I've told several people about feeling that way at the end of the game. But its not just an MSU deal its also very much a Mullen deal. He tries to sit on small leads and you can't do that in today's college football. You have to go for the killer blow and he apparently just won't do it. One more TD and that game was ours all the way. We play not to lose in close conference games at the end and that's how exactly how you do lose just like we did playing that super soft prevent defense on the last Auburn drive. Heck, for the first 50 yards of that drive I could have been the Auburn QB and completed the passes there was SO much cushion being given by the MSU DBs. I added it up and Mullen is 1-6 at MSU in SEC games decided by 7 points or less when the contest doesn't involve KY (someone that so far he beats without much problem and we do have 2 seven point wins over them in Mullen's first 2 years). Our team AND our coaching staff have got to learn how to win closely fought contests in conference but I don't know how you do that when you play scared like we do. I can tell you OM won't do that under Freeze, they will just keep piling on the points at every chance.

It_Could_Happen
09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm a freshman at the university and I looked at my friend in the stadium when they got the ball back and said we might as well leave now. I knew exactly what was coming.

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
This is just bullshit. We have won games like this in the past. Do I need to pull up the clip of Wyatt hitting a game winner against AU? Do I need to pull up a clip of CJ being open?

Everything I just read is just excuses. The reason we lose games, usually is because we either don't have talented players or talented coaches. Not some pit in your stomach feeling. Its not dead indians. Its talent and coaching. Want to know why I know? Because the Boston Red Sox have won 2 WS titles. THe most tortured fan base in the country actually beat the Yankees in the most dramatic way possible. Why? Talent and coaching. That is what wins.

We get the players and get the coaches, and guess what? You win ball games like this. We have in the past, and we can again, but some of our fans can't get out of their own way.

I will agree with this to a large degree. During Sherrill's better years I never had the feeling that we were always ready to choke. In fact, 99 was like the reverse karma year, where it seemed like all the bad luck to lose games was reversed for one year and we won games at the end in every way imaginable. Man, sometimes I still miss those years when I really felt going into any game we had a real shot to win. I realize the SEC wasn't the total juggernaut back then that it is now but there was an air of confidence in the program at the time that still hasn't ever been fully been recaptured.

Irondawg
09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I honestly thought they were going to kick a 40 yard FG that hit the upright and kicked in and then would beat us in 2OT after Bell missed a 30 yarder for the win in the first OT.

I really didn't think they would get a TD on that drive, but was pretty damn sure they would get the 3 needed to tie it.

Mjoelner34
09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
I had a feeling we were staring at OT but when I saw us come out in the prevent, I knew it was over. I was actually hoping they would break a big one and leave a little time on the clock for us.

It still befuddles my dumb cracker mind why in the hell you would EVER line up in the prevent against a spread team. The spread is all about getting the ball to your athletes in space and the prevent just gives you more space to do that in and plenty of time to do it.

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 11:51 AM
I had a feeling we were staring at OT but when I saw us come out in the prevent, I knew it was over. I was actually hoping they would break a big one and leave a little time on the clock for us.

It still befuddles my dumb cracker mind why in the hell you would EVER line up in the prevent against a spread team. The spread is all about getting the ball to your athletes in space and the prevent just gives you more space to do that in and plenty of time to do it.

Exactly, Vandy went to a prevent defense against OM in the final minute and all that led to was a 75 yard TD RUN by Jeff Scott because he got loose in the secondary.

CJDAWG85
09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
27 and right before the final drive started my heart sank... I knew what was coming...

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Who used it as an excuse? We just said we knew it was coming. And I agree, we have the talent, but we don't have the coaching to win a game like that, which is why everyone knew it was coming. Just more of a reason to get a new head coach IMO

Bullmutt
09-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately, at this moment, what has always been said by other SEC fanbases is true: "They're still Mississippi State." And I am sick to death of hearing that shit!!!

civildawg
09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I was at the game, when we punted the ball with 2 minutes left. I left and told my wife i'll see her at the tailgate, I know how it's going to end. Sure enough I got about half way to tailgate and heard the crowd roar and i knew they scored.

blacklistedbully
09-16-2013, 12:38 PM
The thing you left out was 3 other key parts to this all-too-common nightmare. the missed field goal, failed extra-point and most key, the freak play. I was saying "here we go again" right after that batted pass that should have been a pick-six for us, but instead became a 38-yard completion back to their QB Marshall.

To me, that's what I long ago became accustomed to, either a freak play or the "so bad it had to be on purpose officiating". My wife, who is from California has now seen enough to believe as well. When the "Marshall-to-Marshall" play occurred I told her, "See what I mean? I'm really not making this shit up!", and she said, "I know. I've seen it enough myself".

To the poster on here who is calling BS, I will give you that we have lost plenty of games due to coaching and/or players. We have too often just been a bad football team. But you are kidding yourself if you don't also accept that we are disproportionately unlucky or screwed by refs or fate. I have seen too many games where we did play much, much better, yet still lost to the angry Indians. I was there for the Dick Pace call. I saw the "Immaculate Deflection", I witnessed the Bama game where we were poised to go ahead late at their goal-line, but they were allowed to cheat by simulating our snap call to get our o-line to jump early. I watched in horror as the CUSA refs changed the outcome of our game vs Houston by declaring our QB beyond the LOS on a perfectly executed deep pass play. I could fill this page with the shit I've seen just since the early 80's.

Need I go on?

barely
09-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Not going for it on 4th and 2, Im ok with it, the percentages say that a team (especially with a new qb) wont drive 80+ yards under that much pressure. This loss is on the defense, but Mullen should know our defense and the abilities they have, therefore, he is responsible. Hell, even the play-by-play guys knew it was coming and our defensive staff collectively put their heads up their asses.
Good luck next year beating this team. By the time Ellis Johnson has over a year with a defense, they become pretty good.

And yes, Im 41 so I was fully aware of what was coming

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Not going for it on 4th and 2, Im ok with it, the percentages say that a team (especially with a new qb) wont drive 80+ yards under that much pressure. This loss is on the defense, but Mullen should know our defense and the abilities they have, therefore, he is responsible. Hell, even the play-by-play guys knew it was coming and our defensive staff collectively put their heads up their asses.
Good luck next year beating this team. By the time Ellis Johnson has over a year with a defense, they become pretty good.

And yes, Im 41 so I was fully aware of what was coming

You lost me at the bolded part

HereComesTheSpiral
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Told my friend I'm going to go smoke, I know how this plays out. Was told I was crazy.

DownwardDawg
09-16-2013, 01:11 PM
You nailed it Ronny. I'm 45, I took a deep breath and sighed when we punted. I knew it was over. My wife sent me a text at that minute saying "It's over. Auburn will win"
We all knew.

bankerdawg
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
I told my friends when Auburn got the ball back I said they will take it down the field and ram it down our throat. Been a fan for over 40 years and you are so correct. We are one snake bit football team. Always have been and always will be.

sleepy dawg
09-16-2013, 01:39 PM
So were you 100% sure we were losing to Florida a couple of years ago when we did the same thing, but for even longer? Did you actually type this post then, but just didn't get to post it since Mullen disappointed you by winning that game?

blacklistedbully
09-16-2013, 01:49 PM
So were you 100% sure we were losing to Florida a couple of years ago when we did the same thing, but for even longer? Did you actually type this post then, but just didn't get to post it since Mullen disappointed you by winning that game?

sleepy, exceptions don't prove the rule. He may well have had that feeling, but more often than not, in our history that feeling has proved justified.

HIGHDOG
09-16-2013, 01:53 PM
the 28 yd gain on 1st down put me in the tank...i'm going on 85 & i have seen a buncha these...tom

maroonmania
09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
sleepy, exceptions don't prove the rule. He may well have had that feeling, but more often than not, in our history that feeling has proved justified.

Believe me, if Gus Malzahn had been running that FL offense in 2010 we would have almost certainly lost that game as well playing the conservative way we did.

Bothrops
09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
FYI..Ronny, if you are under the age of 49, you are in the same generation as someone that is 34. That would be Generation X. I didn't think we would win the game Sat, but I started feeling differently after Dak's performance and the last Auburn turnover. I quickly felt we would lose again after we weren't able to get any points on the ensuing drive. I knew we would lose again when we punted to Auburn, giving them time to hit our weak spots in the secondary on their final drive. I share your sentiments.

dparker
09-16-2013, 03:40 PM

I don't believe in this MSU curse thing but I was thinking this during that game.