PDA

View Full Version : The Flutie Effect on Mississippi State and Starkville

hailstatetakeover
07-10-2017, 03:58 PM
https://hailstatetakes.com/2017/07/10/the-flutie-effect-on-mississippi-state-and-starkville/

Reason2succeed
07-10-2017, 04:26 PM
I can remember having an argument back during the Jackie Sherrill era about the correlation between a winning football team and student enrollment. The other person said I was crazy for thinking that there was such a correlation. Obviously the author agrees with me.

If I were projecting the growth I believe Dak being the QB for the Cowboys is going to bring a lot more exposure to Mississippi State University and possibly increase the enrollment.

hailstatetakeover
07-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Especially from out-of-state students in LA & TEX

Cooterpoot
07-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Meh. I think it's a limited theory and the schools push for larger enrollment by our current president has more to do with enrollment.

Reason2succeed
07-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Winning football games and mentions on ESPN and other sports networks is some of the best advertisement you can get.

PassInterference
07-10-2017, 05:03 PM
It is common for students in Texas to go to college out of state. Admissions to the good schools in Texas is pretty damn tough and expensive. A MSU provides a pretty damn good bang for the buck, even for out-of-state tuition.

So yeah, I could see our exposure helping out our attendance, especially with out of state kids.

RocketDawg
07-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Winning football games and mentions on ESPN and other sports networks is some of the best advertisement you can get.

Unless I'm mistaken, enrollment at Alabama-Tuscaloosa has just about doubled in the last 15 or so years. You might have something there ....

Turfdawg67
07-10-2017, 05:11 PM
I can remember having an argument back during the Jackie Sherrill era about the correlation between a winning football team and student enrollment. The other person said I was crazy for thinking that there was such a correlation. Obviously the author agrees with me.

If I were projecting the growth I believe Dak being the QB for the Cowboys is going to bring a lot more exposure to Mississippi State University and possibly increase the enrollment.

No doubt it has an impact! So does winning in basketball... I remember reading how our enrollment jumped after our Sweet 16 and then our Final 4 appearances. Exposure baby!!

Jack Lambert
07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
It is common for students in Texas to go to college out of state. Admissions to the good schools in Texas is pretty damn tough and expensive. A MSU provides a pretty damn good bang for the buck, even for out-of-state tuition.

So yeah, I could see our exposure helping out our attendance, especially with out of state kids.

State will even find a way to get that out of state tuition waived.

redstickdawg
07-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, enrollment at Alabama-Tuscaloosa has just about doubled in the last 15 or so years. You might have something there ....

don't know if it has doubled, but they have more out of state students than in state. Money is flowing into tuscaloosa at a phenomenal rate.

Martianlander
07-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Yes and the women's basketball team too. That winning shot over Connecticut will be shown over and over next basketball season.

Dawg61
07-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Yes and the women's basketball team too. That winning shot over Connecticut will be shown over and over next basketball season.

Hope it gets shown over and over at the ESPY's too

IMissJack
07-10-2017, 08:30 PM

One thing I wish MSU would consider for out of state alums... I believe if an alum has been donating (over a certain amount) to the university or for a certain amount of years, then that alum should be considered the same as a tax payer in MS, and not be charged out of state tuition. Personally, I can tell you that over the last 24 years I have donated more to MSU than the average taxpayer has paid in taxes to MSU. This would be a good way to encourage out of state alums to give more to MSU if they knew their kids could go to MSU at an in state rate, and MSU gets the money in advance.

ETA: I have a FR son entering MSU this Fall.

Ezsoil
07-10-2017, 09:05 PM

The Texas situation is insane ...not enough colleges for the population...Texas and A&M were once dirt cheap because of oil subsidies, can't raise tuitions high enough...Louisiana has caught on as LSU is priced their out of state to match the same as In state for Texas and A&M. When my daughter was at LSU, 11% of the student body was from Texas. Also, I believe Louisiana Lafayette and Louisiana Monroe drop out of state for Texas residents

IMissJack
07-10-2017, 09:09 PM
The Texas situation is insane ...not enough colleges for the population...Texas and A&M were once dirt cheap because of oil subsidies, can't raise tuitions high enough...Louisiana has caught on as LSU is priced their out of state to match the same as In state for Texas and A&M. When my daughter was at LSU, 11% of the student body was from Texas. Also, I believe Louisiana Lafayette and Louisiana Monroe drop out of state for Texas residents

Yep. We have 7 6A high schools in our district. Texas is accepting the top 6% of high school grads. A&M accepts about the top 10%, but a lot of kids go to Blinn JC which has a program to transfer kids into A&M if you make certain grades. OM is raking in TX kids also, I don't know why MSU can't get on board. It is also insane that A&M and TX are raising tuition like they are, with about $25 Billion in the bank between them.

BrunswickDawg
07-10-2017, 09:10 PM
One thing I wish MSU would consider for out of state alums... I believe if an alum has been donating (over a certain amount) to the university or for a certain amount of years, then that alum should be considered the same as a tax payer in MS, and not be charged out of state tuition. Personally, I can tell you that over the last 24 years I have donated more to MSU than the average taxpayer has paid in taxes to MSU. This would be a good way to encourage out of state alums to give more to MSU if they knew their kids could go to MSU at an in state rate, and MSU gets the money in advance.

Not a bad idea. I will say that the Alumni OOS Tuition scholarship stacked with a couple of others has basically waived OOS tutition for my daughter (also a FR entering this fall). It will cost me $200 less than I would pay for UGA - even factoring in HOPE.

Todd4State
07-10-2017, 09:22 PM

I think this is a great idea.

Ari Gold
07-10-2017, 10:26 PM

I think someone on here (ME) said we wanted to play uconn. Beating Uconn would be bigger than winning the whole thing.

Reason2succeed
07-11-2017, 02:47 AM

Great observations but the bolded quote isn't necessarily true. There are plenty of colleges and universities in Texas but as expected everyone wants to go to Texas and A&M which both have enrollments of over 50,000 students each. Meanwhile the enrollment at SMU where I have a masters degree was around 10,000 when I was there. They are also expensive and have much higher admission standards than MSU to try to weed people out. A lot of this is fueled by pride of state in Texas which is a HUGE thing and of course their love for football in Texas.

Alabama's tuition has also sky rocketed with the admission numbers since Saban arrived. I would like to see MSU enrollment numbers increase without raising admissions requirements too much. I would never want to see MSU not being able to serve Mississippi kids. (I love that the Mississippi JuCos in state provide a pathway to students that might not have gotten everything they needed from their HS experience for one reason or another.)

Also with OM about to go to football hell for the next decade our sports related enrollment ought to be able to balloon with out success while their are rebuilding. Hopefully we will be able to capitalize on and off the field. We just need to make sure that the only memory junior high and middle school's students have is of an annual beatdown of OM by MSU EVERY SINGLE YEAR!