PDA

View Full Version : Medical Redshirt

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2017, 01:00 PM
DK Metcalf just received an medical redshirt for 2016. I have no issue with that but I am confused about why OM already applied for that?

When we have a player in a similar situation, we are always told they wait till after their SR to apply for the redshirt.

I've never heard of a freshman applying for a medical redshirt this early in his career.

Afterall, unless you stay for your 5th year, it's meaningless

Homedawg
07-10-2017, 01:07 PM
DK Metcalf just received an medical redshirt for 2016. I have no issue with that but I am confused about why OM already applied for that?

When we have a player in a similar situation, we are always told they wait till after their SR to apply for the redshirt.

I've never heard of a freshman applying for a medical redshirt this early in his career.

Dk played in games. Under the old rule, he is not eligible for a redshirt, unless its a medical one. And he qualifies under the rules based on number of games played. This is different than a medical hardship, where you have to complete your eligibility before it can be granted. people confuse the two all the time. They arent the same.

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Dk played in games. Under the old rule, he is not eligible for a redshirt, unless its a medical one. And he qualifies under the rules based on number of games played. This is different than a medical hardship, where you have to complete your eligibility before it can be granted. people confuse the two all the time. They arent the same.

Not sure I understand the difference

whosyourdawgy
07-10-2017, 01:27 PM
My opinion as worthless as it is. That was a big ol waste of time and paperwork for the people involved. DK is going to more than likely be a first round pick in 2 years and will never use that 5th year. He won't see his 4th there unless he has another unfortunate injury. Looking at the 2 when they played last season, I would take DK all day every day over AJ Brown. His size, hands, and speed will be too much to pass up for NFL teams. Regardless of what any of you say here, that kid is phenomenally talented.

missouridawg
07-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Maybe he is on annual compensation package and wanted some assurance on income for a fifth season.

Quaoarsking
07-10-2017, 01:39 PM
I believe you have to wait until after your 5th year to ask for a 6th, but you can be granted a 5th year anytime.

Reason2succeed
07-11-2017, 03:14 AM
Maybe he is on annual compensation package and wanted some assurance on income for a fifth season.

Haha! Now he can file worker's comp with his boosters.

ILOATHEBears
07-11-2017, 07:04 AM

This is what they call exemplary cooperation. They are working with the NCAA to get matters like this resolved for the future schools their players will enroll in after the additional 2 year "bowl band" takes place