PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Panama Gold Cup

It_Could_Happen
07-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Anyone watching on Fox? 0-0 about to head to the half. Figured it would give us something to talk about on a slow sports weekend.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm watching. We've had our chances, but aren't going to the corners with shots...kicking it straight at their goalie. We should beat them. But we seem to have a couple of minutes each half where we just get lazy and give up a few good shots. Won't shock me if we draw or lose, but it's a failure if we don't beat this team imo

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Rowe is a baller!

Dwyer is good too.

1-0 USA

Dawg61
07-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Slick dribbling skills by Rowe there, very nice. I recognize like 4 of our starters. Guess everybody gets a break vs Panama

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Arena has made some great changes to the roster. So glad the suck that was Jurgen Klinsman was canned.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Now they're teeing off on us. 1-1 but should be 3-1 Panama. Our D is trash

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Looking like a 1-1 draw. Pitiful

Dawgowar
07-08-2017, 05:43 PM
This is more like a B team roster. Dyer and Rowe being exceptions. If we get to the knockout phase Arena can call in up to 6 new players. Good idea to let some MLS rising talent get some CAPS.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
This is one small reason people don't like soccer in America....we like winners. When you invest a few hours watching a game, it can't end in a damn tie. They should give people their money back for the game ending the same way it started...without a winner. Shit sucks.

Go to a shootout after 90 min if you have to. Why the hell not? Why not get a winner? That might keep teams from just kicking it around in their own half of the field killing time for 20 of the 90 minutes, and make teams try to push for more scores.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2017, 06:10 PM
This is one small reason people don't like soccer in America....we like winners. When you invest a few hours watching a game, it can't end in a damn tie. They should give people their money back for the game ending the same way it started...without a winner. Shit sucks.

Go to a shootout after 90 min if you have to. Why the hell not? Why not get a winner? That might keep teams from just kicking it around in their own half of the field killing time for 20 of the 90 minutes, and make teams try to push for more scores.

Draws are part of the game. Just be glad it isn't the old days where you got one point for a draw and two for a win. In league play a draw can be a very good result. It's all about the points.

It_Could_Happen
07-08-2017, 06:34 PM
This is more like a B team roster. Dyer and Rowe being exceptions. If we get to the knockout phase Arena can call in up to 6 new players. Good idea to let some MLS rising talent get some CAPS.

Agreed. Feel like they both make the World Cup roster. Should win our next two matches with this group pretty easily and then call up Dempsey and Co.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Draws are part of the game. Just be glad it isn't the old days where you got one point for a draw and two for a win. In league play a draw can be a very good result. It's all about the points.

No shit they're part of the game, a part that I think should be changed. If you have to change the rules for championship games, it should be changed for all games in my opinion. I know many won't agree, but that's my opinion, and I think it would draw in more fans while turning away zero existing fans. But it will never happen.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-08-2017, 06:59 PM
I think it would draw in more fans while turning away zero existing fans.
This part is not true. Draws a natural and arguably critical aspect of the game to everyone else in the world.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 07:05 PM
This part is not true. Draws a natural and arguably critical aspect of the game to everyone else in the world.

Then they shouldn't watch the finals of any tournament. No way eliminating draws would lose soccer fans in my opinion.

But I don't care. I only watch a few USA games here & there plus World Cup & Olympics. If they're fine not having the fandom of guys like me, I'll just keep not watching. No big deal. Just saying a few tweaks could make soccer more appealing to me and others.

Not having a revolving roster and "tournament games" where our JV plays would help too. Ha

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Actually it would turn off nearly everyone in the rest of the world but here and probably would here too. It didn't work here. MLS did exactly what you suggest to begin with. It didn't last long, everyone hated it.

Edited to add this should have been under Cadaver's post.

Dawg61
07-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Not having a revolving roster and "tournament games" where our JV plays would help too. Ha

This is frustrating to me. I look forward to watching our USAMNT and when we do get to see them I want to see the ****ing starters that would start in the world cup. I also do not want to see another "friendly" match ever for the rest of my life.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Then they shouldn't watch the finals of any tournament. No way eliminating draws would lose soccer fans in my opinion.

But I don't care. I only watch a few USA games here & there plus World Cup & Olympics. If they're fine not having the fandom of guys like me, I'll just keep not watching. No big deal. Just saying a few tweaks could make soccer more appealing to me and others.
I think everyone understands why a single elimination game can't have a tie. Although until very recently the English solution to a draw in an elimination game was to completely replay the game.

But, I honestly don't think there would be a difference in the way the game is played if you get rid of draws. A team that is clearly weaker than their opponent has to play very conservatively, shorten the game, and try to hit the bigger team on the counter attack regardless of if they can end in a tie or not.

Two teams that are about equal to each other in ability will not start pushing for the win any more often if there were no draws than if there were. Because in order to go harder on the attack they have to put themselves in a weaker position on defense. Which is what makes soccer fundamentally different from the big American sports.

Ending soccer games in penalty kicks is an atrocious way to end the game in my opinion. It's the equivalence of ending a football game in a field goal contest, or a basketball game in a free throw competition. The problem is there's no better way to do it without running the risk of the game lasting a really really long time. I prefer a tie over determining a winner using one tiny aspect of the game that is pretty much half way reliant on luck to decide a winner.

ETA: and deciding a game with penalty kicks will make the smaller teams sit on the ball and stall out the game even worse than before. Because penalty kicks are a crapshoot.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 08:04 PM
This is frustrating to me. I look forward to watching our USAMNT and when we do get to see them I want to see the ****ing starters that would start in the world cup. I also do not want to see another "friendly" match ever for the rest of my life.

I agree with every bit of this

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Actually it would turn off nearly everyone in the rest of the world but here and probably would here too. It didn't work here. MLS did exactly what you suggest to begin with. It didn't last long, everyone hated it.

Edited to add this should have been under Cadaver's post.

I thought the MLS tried it at some point, and Americans didn't suddenly start loving soccer. Lol.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 08:10 PM
I think everyone understands why a single elimination game can't have a tie. Although until very recently the English solution to a draw in an elimination game was to completely replay the game.

But, I honestly don't think there would be a difference in the way the game is played if you get rid of draws. A team that is clearly weaker than their opponent has to play very conservatively, shorten the game, and try to hit the bigger team on the counter attack regardless of if they can end in a tie or not.

Two teams that are about equal to each other in ability will not start pushing for the win any more often if there were no draws than if there were. Because in order to go harder on the attack they have to put themselves in a weaker position on defense. Which is what makes soccer fundamentally different from the big American sports.

Ending soccer games in penalty kicks is an atrocious way to end the game in my opinion. It's the equivalence of ending a football game in a field goal contest, or a basketball game in a free throw competition. The problem is there's no better way to do it without running the risk of the game lasting a really really long time. I prefer a tie over determining a winner using one tiny aspect of the game that is pretty much half way reliant on luck to decide a winner.

ETA: and deciding a game with penalty kicks will make the smaller teams sit on the ball and stall out the game even worse than before. Because penalty kicks are a crapshoot.

Fair points. You could always do sudden death or an OT period. Doesn't just have to end. A draw is like everyone getting a participation trophy imo. Hell, make a draw worth 0 points and maybe teams would at least attack towards the end....there's just so much time wasting. But if you guys like it the way it is, that's fine...I just feel that all sports need to adapt a little with the times. But that's just me. Soccer is fun to watch to me when the teams play their best players, the game matters, and there is a winner and loser at the end. Every time those things happen, I am glued to USA soccer matches. Unfortunately it's rare.

Dawg61
07-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Play ten extra minutes with zero goalies or with the goalies swapped

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Fair points. You could always do sudden death or an OT period. Doesn't just have to end. A draw is like everyone getting a participation trophy imo. Hell, make a draw worth 0 points and maybe teams would at least attack towards the end....there's just so much time wasting. But if you guys like it the way it is, that's fine...I just feel that all sports need to adapt a little with the times. But that's just me. Soccer is fun to watch to me when the teams play their best players, the game matters, and there is a winner and loser at the end. Every time those things happen, I am glued to USA soccer matches. Unfortunately it's rare.
The problem with OT is the same one that football has. The game is already brutal enough physically. They play every weekend for like 9 months with a healthy amount of mid-week games mixed in for good measure and run something like 10 miles each game.

And your problem is that you only watch international soccer. Where like 8 out of 10 games are friendlies and literally don't mean jack. Half the non-friendlies are tournaments we still don't give a shit about, like the Gold Cup we played in today. And of the small fraction of games we do care about, a large percentage are against the likes of Trinidad &Tobago or Guatemala.

Watch the Premier League if you want to see teams play their A team every game. I think you'll find, like I did, that the draws actually make the league more interesting than you expected, if nothing else than because of the novelty of that dynamic to us Americans.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 08:50 PM
The problem with OT is the same one that football has. The game is already brutal enough physically. They play every weekend for like 9 months with a healthy amount of mid-week games mixed in for good measure and run something like 10 miles each game.

And your problem is that you only watch international soccer. Where like 8 out of 10 games are friendlies and literally don't mean jack. Half the non-friendlies are tournaments we still don't give a shit about, like the Gold Cup we played in today. And of the small fraction of games we do care about, a large percentage are against the likes of Trinidad &Tobago or Guatemala.

Watch the Premier League if you want to see teams play their A team every game. I think you'll find, like I did, that the draws actually make the league more interesting than you expected, if nothing else than because of the novelty of that dynamic to us Americans.

I've tried watching EPL, but it coincides with football so I always lose interest before I can get sucked in, Bc football games are on. Maybe I should start recording them or something.

Dawg61
07-08-2017, 08:59 PM
I've tried watching EPL, but it coincides with football so I always lose interest before I can get sucked in, Bc football games are on. Maybe I should start recording them or something.

No you just need one American team in the EPL to cheer for. I have it on my to-do list. I am leaning Boston as the city right now. Will let you know when I get a backer**

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 09:03 PM
No you just need one American team in the EPL to cheer for. I have it on my to-do list. I am leaning Boston as the city right now. Will let you know when I get a backer**

True, that would help immediately

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Yea I understand that. I like to watch EPL in the morning until the 11:30 SEC game, then I'll flip back and forth till the 11 EPL game ends and watch football the rest of the day.

Time permitting, of course...which is sadly not extraordinarily often.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2017, 10:35 PM
I thought the MLS tried it at some point, and Americans didn't suddenly start loving soccer. Lol.

They did. It was universally loathed.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2017, 10:42 PM
I agree with every bit of this

International soccer sucks. Latch on to a club, a REAL club, not the made up imitation crap names in the MLS. MLS is at BEST third tier in England. There are really 5 leagues that matter: the top tier in England, Italy, Spain, Germany, and debatably either France or Holland. When it comes to REAL football, I'm Scouse, the RED kind.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2017, 10:47 PM

The trouble is only ignorant fools like you think that is even remotely possible. You are proud of your ignorance I see. CHEERS!

Dawg61
07-08-2017, 10:52 PM
The trouble is only ignorant fools like you think that is even remotely possible. You are proud of your ignorance I see. CHEERS!

Your annoyance entertains me muppet

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52e541bae4b03d90a9845955/t/5339e819e4b0f7a008a6093e/1396545143565/1280x1024_MuppetsWallpaper_Walter.png

DawgHouseUnited
07-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Was out celebrating a friend's birthday so I only saw the results. Was good to see Dwyer (sp?) get a goal. It's only his what- 2nd game on the squad?

It_Could_Happen
07-09-2017, 12:19 AM
Was out celebrating a friend's birthday so I only saw the results. Was good to see Dwyer (sp?) get a goal. It's only his what- 2nd game on the squad?

2 goals in 2 international appearances.

ghostofjackie
07-09-2017, 03:08 AM

It's just all about determining the needs of each squad, and making those tough decisions on who to call up. Take Germany as an example. They sent just about an entire "B squad" to the damn Confederations Cup. Most countries consider this to be one of the top tournaments behind the World Cup and the Euro's. Mexico sent its "A squad" to the Confed Cup and decided to play their B team in the Gold Cup. Of course, Mexico is already in the playoff round to qualify for the next Confederations Cup, so winning this Gold Cup really does not matter either way.

Soccer is a truly unique sport, and our country is catching on very quickly, but you have to understand the dynamics of the sport to truly appreciate what you are watching.

ghostofjackie
07-09-2017, 03:42 AM
International soccer sucks. Latch on to a club, a REAL club, not the made up imitation crap names in the MLS. MLS is at BEST third tier in England. There are really 5 leagues that matter: the top tier in England, Italy, Spain, Germany, and debatably either France or Holland. When it comes to REAL football, I'm Scouse, the RED kind.

Ehhhh... I actually favor international soccer because it's form is determined by the social and historical aspects of its home country. To me, thats fascinating to look into. I love club soccer too, but something about International soccer is more interesting to me.

For example, Latin America prefers to play a more short quick passing style, attack oriented, they love to dribble and take on defenders. Its like the ball sticks to their feet. This reflects their general size (as Latin American's tend to be smaller people) and their flare. Spain also plays this brand of soccer and was a huge influence in Latin American history.

European soccer tends to be more about efficiency and less about being creative. Germany engineers their soccer to use their size and physicality to dominate the competition. The don't waste any energy moving across the field and let the ball do the work. Italian's are content with just relaxing and playing the ball around the back until they find a counter attack (in which they might score). England plays a physical style that is very direct which consists of a long ball and a cross, maybe throw a shoulder for no reason. Holland has an interesting "total football" style where everybody shares in the attach. France doesn't have a style and prefers to take pieces of everybody else style and play for fun.

American's play the ugliest brand of soccer and most people consider it boring as shit. We actually don't even have a brand of soccer. We are good at set pieces and goalkeeping, which wins us a lot of games that we shouldn't. This is just a simple rundown, but you can examine this with every country in the world.