PDA

View Full Version : Stamps transfer to NWCC

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2017, 03:18 PM
According to Rosebowl - Chris Stamps moving on. Too crowded at CB or grades?

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2017, 03:30 PM
But everyone said he was Jonathan Banks 2.0*

hailmari
07-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Jiles and Smokey leave, now a guy we've been expecting to become a good CB for the past couple of years is leaving.

Speaking of Smokey, did he ever sign on anywhere?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-08-2017, 03:52 PM

JSU

Ari Gold
07-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Stamps wasn't going to play here this year.. good move for him

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Jiles and Smokey leave, now a guy we've been expecting to become a good CB for the past couple of years is leaving.

Who was expecting him to become a good player?

Steakonastick
07-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Could not gain the weight needed for this level.

hailmari
07-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Who was expecting him to become a good player?

I guess everyone that has said he's "Banks 2.0" for the past two years.

MetEdDawg
07-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Peters and Dantzler are the guys for the next 2 years. So the best Stamps could hope for was nickel or 2nd team CB.

msstate7
07-08-2017, 04:55 PM

Maybe he's slay 2.0 (juco)

Ari Gold
07-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Peters and Dantzler are the guys for the next 2 years. So the best Stamps could hope for was nickel or 2nd team CB.

Stamps wasn't going to be in 2 deep at CB or Nickel

Ari Gold
07-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Great move for us.. everyone talks about "cutting bait" well here ya go..
let's us recruit another guy in 2018 at that position or elsewhere ..
I wish there were a few more that would do the same..

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Great move for us.. everyone talks about "cutting bait" well here ya go..
let's us recruit another guy in 2018 at that position or elsewhere ..
I wish there were a few more that would do the same..

I would agree if we had a full roster. Why is it so hard for us to maintain a full roster? We insist on a self imposed scholarship reduction it seems. Or am I missing something? Don't we have several spots open again?

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 05:10 PM

The only thing worse than "he's JB 2.0" guy is "acting like you knew he wasn't good the whole time" guy.

BuckyIsAB****
07-08-2017, 05:12 PM
I thought he would be pretty good. Had the length to be big time. Evidently just didnt work out. Wish him the best

Pollodawg
07-08-2017, 05:21 PM
This tells me that the off season additions are paying off already.

Jack Lambert
07-08-2017, 05:50 PM
I would agree if we had a full roster. Why is it so hard for us to maintain a full roster? We insist on a self imposed scholarship reduction it seems. Or am I missing something? Don't we have several spots open again?

Can I be he one to blame Hev?:)

Ari Gold
07-08-2017, 06:28 PM

We are going to be real close to the full number.
Still have 2-3 guys that haven't enrolled yet .

Reason2succeed
07-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Guys transferring out and transfers not wanting to come in must mean that the starters are intimidating. At least that's my hope. Between Dantzler and what I saw from him in the Spring game, Peters, and Durr I think we have a starting three. My concern now is depth.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2017, 06:42 PM

That is good news

Dawgfan77
07-08-2017, 06:53 PM
We still got one transfer if not two that is going to help this year.....

Irondawg
07-08-2017, 10:06 PM
I had hopes for him. His older brother was a pretty good safety for KY after JUCO and several folks were high on him when he committed. I know he had some injuries but some guys just don't pan out. Best of luck to him.

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2017, 10:37 PM
The only thing worse than "he's JB 2.0" guy is "acting like you knew he wasn't good the whole time" guy.

I just want our fanbase to become smarter. I'm exhausted by constant profiling of every DB recruit as being similar to Banks, every big WR as being similar to Derunnya, and every QB as being similar Dak.

I prefer we become smarter and make better comparisons

MaroonFlounder
07-08-2017, 10:45 PM
The other Chris (Rayford) may be expendable as well. He is not a SEC corner at all. He may be ok on special teams.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2017, 10:54 PM
I had hopes for him. His older brother was a pretty good safety for KY after JUCO and several folks were high on him when he committed. I know he had some injuries but some guys just don't pan out. Best of luck to him.

Cousin*

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2017, 10:57 PM
I thought he would be pretty good. Had the length to be big time. Evidently just didnt work out. Wish him the best

This isn't basketball. NFL CBs are some of the most athletic humans on the planet.

It's about athleticism, not length

Reason2succeed
07-09-2017, 12:05 AM
This isn't basketball. NFL CBs are some of the most athletic humans on the planet.

So true. These days a corner has to be a burner, fast twitch, and be able to jump out the gym. Plus he better have some size and length or he will get trucked by a RB or TE.

HSVDawg
07-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Take Pope and Stamps off the current roster on the website, and that roster has 68 scholarship players. There are 12 guys in the 2017 class who either have enrolled and aren't listed on the roster yet, or haven't enrolled. Of those 12, 1 is Josh Cooper who we know isn't going to make it. So that brings the unlisted players to be added to the roster down to 11. So, the absolute most players we will have on scholarship if there are no grad transfers coming in is 79. And that number assumes Eliss, Suggs, and Richardson will all qualify which is far from a sure thing. If somehow Hodges transfers in and we get everyone but Cooper qualified (absolute best case scenario), we are still only going to be at 80 players when we start prepping for Charleston Southern.

Long story short, we are NOT going to be anywhere close to a full number. For the 3rd year in a row.

CadaverDawg
07-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Take Pope and Stamps off the current roster on the website, and that roster has 68 scholarship players. There are 12 guys in the 2017 class who either have enrolled and aren't listed on the roster yet, or haven't enrolled. Of those 12, 1 is Josh Cooper who we know isn't going to make it. So that brings the unlisted players to be added to the roster down to 11. So, the absolute most players we will have on scholarship if there are no grad transfers coming in is 79. And that number assumes Eliss, Suggs, and Richardson will all qualify which is far from a sure thing. If somehow Hodges transfers in and we get everyone but Cooper qualified (absolute best case scenario), we are still only going to be at 80 players when we start prepping for Charleston Southern.

Long story short, we are NOT going to be anywhere close to a full number. For the 3rd year in a row.

Hmm, this is what I was afraid of. We aren't encouraging guys to leave if we can't even fill out a full roster for 3 straight seasons. Frustrating trend

Dawgfan77
07-09-2017, 06:38 AM
We should be at 80 to 81 then we will have a walk on or two get ships to get our number to around 82-83. If you look around most schools don't field an entire 85. I think what we are seeing is processing. These new coaches arnt takin the BS anymore. We want alpha dogs

Big4Dawg
07-09-2017, 06:57 AM

This is normal. Alabama awarded 3 walkons scholarships this summer. It happens.

HSVDawg
07-09-2017, 11:51 AM
This is normal. Alabama awarded 3 walkons scholarships this summer. It happens.

If we were at 82 or 83 for one year, it would be another story altogether. That is not an annual occurrence for Alabama or any other SEC schools, but it is acceptable to be a few short once every now and again, especially with schools that process / grayshirt players to get down to 85 because sometimes its hard to forecast guys who might leave on their own and you can over-process.

MSU, on the other hand, has had three years in a row of being 5+ schollies under the limit. 2 of those 3 years (last year and probably this year), we will have been in the 78-79 range. It is a problem. And its a much bigger problem than Holloway up the middle, Hevesy, or Mullen flirting with Oregon / Miami / whoever the hell else. We are fundamentally lacking resources and players that we need for no reason whatsoever. Last year we are looking at the secondary depth chart and seeing how little talent was there, and then you see we opened camp with 78 players and then had Staley transfer after that. We could have had as many as 7-8 additional DB's (or even just 3 or 4 more) if we'd cast a larger net in recruiting or even take some borderline guys from C-USA / Sun Belt type teams that may have showed some promise. It's very frustrating.

HoopsDawg
07-09-2017, 12:40 PM
80 scholarships is fine. Wish we had gotten Wiggins though.

Our 4 corners are going to be Cleveland, Durr, Peters, and Dantzler. Then Abram is going to be the nickel with Gray backing him up.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2017, 01:58 PM

Show me a 5'9 corner who is a good athlete and he still will get mossed on.

Dallas_Dawg
07-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Show me a 5'9 corner who is a good athlete and he still will get mossed on.

There are exceptions. Antoine Winfield, Honey Badger

Reason2succeed
07-09-2017, 02:57 PM
If we were at 82 or 83 for one year, it would be another story altogether. That is not an annual occurrence for Alabama or any other SEC schools, but it is acceptable to be a few short once every now and again, especially with schools that process / grayshirt players to get down to 85 because sometimes its hard to forecast guys who might leave on their own and you can over-process.

MSU, on the other hand, has had three years in a row of being 5+ schollies under the limit. 2 of those 3 years (last year and probably this year), we will have been in the 78-79 range. It is a problem. And its a much bigger problem than Holloway up the middle, Hevesy, or Mullen flirting with Oregon / Miami / whoever the hell else. We are fundamentally lacking resources and players that we need for no reason whatsoever. Last year we are looking at the secondary depth chart and seeing how little talent was there, and then you see we opened camp with 78 players and then had Staley transfer after that. We could have had as many as 7-8 additional DB's (or even just 3 or 4 more) if we'd cast a larger net in recruiting or even take some borderline guys from C-USA / Sun Belt type teams that may have showed some promise. It's very frustrating.

I understand what you are saying and I'm sure there is some validity to it but why would we want more subpar players? I trust that Mullen and Co. are bringing in the best players they can. We are not refusing 4 and 5 star players to come.

I know everyone craps on Hev but he isn't responsible for DBs and corners. Mullen has chosen to commit to these coaches knowing his job is on the line if he fails to get results. I for one am content to judge Mullen on wins and losses. 6-7 wasn't acceptable but Mullen knows that he has to get the job done or he will
be shown the door. It's his concern of how many players are on the roster.

HSVDawg
07-09-2017, 03:22 PM
I understand what you are saying and I'm sure there is some validity to it but why would we want more subpar players? I trust that Mullen and Co. are bringing in the best players they can. We are not refusing 4 and 5 star players to come.

I know everyone craps on Hev but he isn't responsible for DBs and corners. Mullen has chosen to commit to these coaches knowing his job is on the line if he fails to get results. I for one am content to judge Mullen on wins and losses. 6-7 wasn't acceptable but Mullen knows that he has to get the job done or he will
be shown the door. It's his concern of how many players are on the roster.

Why would we want more subpar players? We don't. But you are ignoring the biggest axiom of recruiting. And that is not every player you think is going to be good will be, and not every player you don't think is going to be good is going to suck. USM, Hofstra, Jackson State, etc put guys in the NFL every year. Hell, the best 4 football players to ever come out of the state of Mississippi were all from schools like that. There are always guys who fall through the cracks, and always guys who are right on the fringe of getting an offer from our staff, but they see one small thing they don't like or they are just a tad undersized or whatever the case may be. Why not just take chances on guys like that if we have the spots? Scholarships are a year-over-year contract. If it doesn't work out and you need their spot for a better player the following year, process them. Everyone else in the SEC realizes how to play this game but us.

Of course, all of the above becomes unnecessary if we would have better back up plans in recruiting and have a longer list of targets, and if we did a better job of closing on them. That is the true root cause that needs addressing, but the above contingency would at least help a little bit as well.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2017, 04:49 PM
There are exceptions. Antoine Winfield, Honey Badger

Honey Badger is a safety. Im not hating on short corners Im just saying to say length isn't important or a sign of good potential is dumb