PDA

View Full Version : We have three baseball commits in the UA AAG

Todd4State
07-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Pitcher Cole Winn, Dual threat JT Ginn, and SS Jeremiah Jackson. That is the most commits we've ever had to make this game which IMO is the highest honor for a high school baseball player.

Jordan Anderson and Brandon Woodruff have played in it before so yes some of these players do make it to school and a lot of them are draft risks.

Carter Stewart, Basiel Williams, and Bryce Bush are guys that I thought had a good chance of making it too but didn't quite make it.

msbulldog
07-09-2017, 06:32 AM
Cool, thanks Todd.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Our recruiting class may get ravaged this coming year. Like 4 or 5 guys going in top 2 rounds.

We honestly need 1 in 2 of these guys to get injured and end up coming to school. That's what happened to Jordan Anderson.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2017, 09:29 AM
With JT Ginn lighting up radar guns, he might go #1 overall.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2017, 09:47 AM
With JT Ginn lighting up radar guns, he might go #1 overall.

Lol. No

A high school right handed pitcher has never gone number 1 overall.

Ginn is looking at going in the late first round to 2nd round and getting a signing bonus of between 1.25 Mil to 1.75 mil.

Now, don't take any of what I've said as a knock on Ginn. He may very well turn out to be a #1 starter in MLB, but players in the draft typically go in order from least risky to most risky, with high school right handed pitching being the most risky.

Here's the order from least to most risky:

1. College hitter from major conference
2. Top college pitcher from major conference
3. Top college left handers
4. Insanely talented high school hitters
5. Good college right handers
6. Top high school left handed pitching
7. High school catchers - awful success rate
8. High school right handed pitching.

We can break it down further, but high school right handed pitching typically falls in the draft.

AlSwearengen
07-09-2017, 09:58 AM
What is the movement on Ginn's fastball like? His velocity and curveball are obviously there. In fact, his curve is nasty to the point that it is as much of a weapon as his velocity. If he has good movement on his fastball, he should be a 1st rounder easily.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2017, 10:03 AM
What is the movement on Ginn's fastball like? His velocity and curveball are obviously there. In fact, his curve is nasty to the point that it is as much of a weapon as his velocity. If he has good movement on his fastball, he should be a 1st rounder easily.

Will be more about his mechanics, projection, and chances of remaining a starting pitcher

msbulldog
07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Will be more about his mechanics, projection, and chances of remaining a starting pitcher

Commerce Comet is buddies with Ginn's dad and knows the kid. He says money is not an issue and the kid really wants to go to MSU. CC sounded pretty confident in his comments.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Commerce Comet is buddies with Ginn's dad and knows the kid. He says money is not an issue and the kid really wants to go to MSU. CC sounded pretty confident in his comments.

And I don't doubt that's the truth at this point, but the draft and that amount of money has a way of growing on people.

In the end, his strong MSU commitment will be of great leverage to him so long as scouts think his talent is worth it.

Would be great to have an MSU signee turn down 1.75 mil or so like Rollison did for OM last year. Get a couple of those guys on campus, and you begin to have a national championship caliber rotation like Florida has this year.

It's not that MSU has to recruit better, it's that MSU has get it's signees to turn down more money than they have been.

In powerhouse SEC baseball recruiting, it's not necessarily who you sign, it's about who gets on campus.

Currently, Florida and Vandy are getting guys to turn down 1.5-2 mil while MSU appears to be in the 750K to 1 mil range. The next step in our recruiting is to improve that.

BB30
07-09-2017, 04:02 PM
And I don't doubt that's the truth at this point, but the draft and that amount of money has a way of growing on people.

In the end, his strong MSU commitment will be of great leverage to him so long as scouts think his talent is worth it.

Would be great to have an MSU signee turn down 1.75 mil or so like Rollison did for OM last year. Get a couple of those guys on campus, and you begin to have a national championship caliber rotation like Florida has this year.

It's not that MSU has to recruit better, it's that MSU has get it's signees to turn down more money than they have been.

In powerhouse SEC baseball recruiting, it's not necessarily who you sign, it's about who gets on campus.

Currently, Florida and Vandy are getting guys to turn down 1.5-2 mil while MSU appears to be in the 750K to 1 mil range. The next step in our recruiting is to improve that.

It is a whole lot easier for Florida and vandy to pull that off when they can just about offer full rides. A vandy degree is worth a pretty penny as is. For us to land a back end 1st rounder it is going to have to be a kid that loves state and comes from a family where money is 0 issue. I don't expect us to start landing those guys. We need to be landing more of the 10-15th round type of talent and get them on campus.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2017, 04:57 PM
How many of them actually make it to Starkville is what we need to know.......

Todd4State
07-09-2017, 05:14 PM

The question is how can Cann do that? We're going to need to develop guys like Pilkington and get them in the top 10 rounds of the draft for it to make it worth their while.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2017, 05:16 PM
It is a whole lot easier for Florida and vandy to pull that off when they can just about offer full rides. A vandy degree is worth a pretty penny as is. For us to land a back end 1st rounder it is going to have to be a kid that loves state and comes from a family where money is 0 issue. I don't expect us to start landing those guys. We need to be landing more of the 10-15th round type of talent and get them on campus.

I completely agree with you.

Notice I didn't put LSU in that group with Vandy & Florida.

Kids turn down LSU for about the same amount of money they are turning us down for. Where LSU is beating us is, they are somehow getting kids to turn down $150K-200K as JRs to come back for their SR year.

While it would be great to get comp & 2nd rounders on campus on like Florida & Vandy, it could prove just as valuable keep guys like Gridley, Lowe, Humphries, etc from leaving when they sign for less than 250K. LSU has beaten us in that regard & I think it's because they have less JC kids & thus are more attached to the school.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2017, 05:20 PM
The question is how can Cann do that? We're going to need to develop guys like Pilkington and get them in the top 10 rounds of the draft for it to make it worth their while.

Agree.

Gonna be tough. The only programs that have been able to get comp & 2nd round type talent on campus are Florida, Vandy, TCU, & UCLA has had some success. Everyone else is swimming in the 750K - 1 mil area, with obviously some exceptions. Jordan Anderson would be an exception & that was due to injury.

So, we've got to compete more for the 1 mil high school signee & we have to compete to keep our JRs that were offered less than 250K

You keep JRs by providing an outstanding baseball experience in a program they love playing for, while also being consistently competitive so you can sell them on staying to win a championship. You also keep more JRs when they are 4 year guys that are more attached to the program than JC guys.

Todd4State
07-09-2017, 05:20 PM

I think ultimately it's about going somewhere that those players think they can improve their chances of making it to MLB and maximizing getting the highest bonus they can after three years of college vs. high school. I don't think players that are looking to leave a college after three years are all that attracted to a Vandy education as much as they are Vandy's pitchers in MLB. Jordan Anderson was the type of player that you are talking about but we landed him after he had some injuries plus his parents are MSU alumni. I think it's critical that we develop a guy like that and he have success so that we can use him as an example to help us in recruiting.

Todd4State
07-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Agree.

Gonna be tough. The only programs that have been able to get comp & 2nd round type talent on campus are Florida, Vandy, TCU, & UCLA has had some success. Everyone else is swimming in the 750K - 1 mil area, with obviously some exceptions. Jordan Anderson would be an exception & that was due to injury.

So, we've got to compete more for the 1 mil high school signee & we have to compete to keep our JRs that were offered less than 250K

You keep JRs by providing an outstanding baseball experience in a program they love playing for, while also being consistently competitive so you can sell them on staying to win a championship. You also keep more JRs when they are 4 year guys that are more attached to the program than JC guys.

Keeping our juniors is definitely a huge part of it. I think ideally we would have a good mix of high end UA All-American type players and draftable juniors and seniors. And then maybe a Cody Brown type of guy.

Todd4State
07-09-2017, 05:37 PM
I did some research to make sure on this:

But the four programs that Shotgun is talking about all have coaches with MLB experience either playing or coaching and elite pitching coaches. With Cann's background and Gautreau's as well it seems as if we are on the right path in that regard. Henderson is at least considered a very good pitching coach. I wish he had a little more pro background.

Also- all of those programs have had their coaches around for awhile too. O'Sullivan is probably the newest and he has been around since I think 2007 or 2008. So, I doubt those teams started to get that talent overnight or at least at the same stage as Cann is with us.

Intramural All-American
07-09-2017, 06:01 PM
I completely agree with you.

Notice I didn't put LSU in that group with Vandy & Florida.

Kids turn down LSU for about the same amount of money they are turning us down for. Where LSU is beating us is, they are somehow getting kids to turn down $150K-200K as JRs to come back for their SR year.

While it would be great to get comp & 2nd rounders on campus on like Florida & Vandy, it could prove just as valuable keep guys like Gridley, Lowe, Humphries, etc from leaving when they sign for less than 250K. LSU has beaten us in that regard & I think it's because they have less JC kids & thus are more attached to the school.

Serious question here. Other than the 4 juniors that returned to LSU this past year, what other juniors have they had turn down $150k+ bonuses to return for their senior year? I very well could be wrong about this, but I don't remember that happening often at all. I can't think of any other player that's done it, but like I said, I may just be unaware of it happening. The reason I ask is because some of y'all have acted like this is a common thing that LSU has been doing, but I was under the impresssion that this was just a 1 time perfect storm.

I seen it dawg
07-09-2017, 06:17 PM
I don't think some people quite understand what we have as our head baseball coach...