PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat from Saturday...

CJDAWG85
09-16-2013, 08:49 AM
From opening kickoff til we went up 20-14 we ran 43 plays and had 307yds... 23 rush 20 pass

After we went up 20-14 we ran 25 plays... 17 rush 8 pass and had 78yds... 7 pass and 60yds if you don't count the last play of the game...

Dan did a great job until we took the lead... then just tried to escape with the W... We had the ball on their side of the field twice in the 4th...

Irondawg
09-16-2013, 08:51 AM
That about sums it up

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Yep...completely gave the game away and probably a chance at a bowl game.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
absolutely...we simply played not to lose

CJDAWG85
09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
But other than the final drive and the busted play TD for them... I thought we played a great game... A lot of people thought we were going to get blown out

cheewgumm
09-16-2013, 09:38 AM
This bothers me because a lot of people judge how the game went by what was supposed to happen Instead of what actually happened on the field. I saw some of the same responses about the Oklahoma State game. Things like "why is everyone so upset we were supposed to lose?"

Just because people think we're supposed to lose doesn't mean we have to accept it when we should've one

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 09:40 AM
we couldn't convert 3rd downs in the 2nd half. Look at the splits on those plays and you see why we lost. It's that simple.

Bass Chaser
09-16-2013, 09:49 AM
we couldn't convert 3rd downs in the 2nd half. Look at the splits on those plays and you see why we lost. It's that simple.

This is the most mind boggling stat to me. We were 5/8 in the 1st half but 0/7 in the 2nd half. I was paying close attention to this because we were horrendous last year and we're on track to be worse this year.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 10:12 AM

3rd downs in 2nd half after TD:

3rd and 4- Morrow dropped pass
3rd and 4- Dillon Day hold turned into 3rd and 14
3rd and 8- 5 yd penalty made it 3rd and 13
3rd and 3- pass to Perk for 1 yd- picked up 4th down
3rd and 13- pass to Jameon that was just missed
3rd and 9-pass complete for 8 yards...picked up on 4th down
3rd and 4- Dak rush for 2 yards

4 of the 7 3rd down were 9 yards or more....2 of the 3 of the 3rd and shorts we picked up on 4th down.

Problem was too many 3rd and longs

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 10:15 AM
3rd downs in 2nd half after TD:

3rd and 4- Morrow dropped pass
3rd and 4- Dillon Day hold turned into 3rd and 14
3rd and 8- 5 yd penalty made it 3rd and 13
3rd and 3- pass to Perk for 1 yd- picked up 4th down
3rd and 13- pass to Jameon that was just missed
3rd and 9-pass complete for 8 yards...picked up on 4th down
3rd and 4- Dak rush for 2 yards

4 of the 7 3rd down were 9 yards or more....2 of the 3 of the 3rd and shorts we picked up on 4th down.

Problem was too many 3rd and longs

Exactly. And they were 3rd and longs because we went conservative on 1st and 2nd down and lost all creativity. We started trying to run clock like a bunch of idiots, when we only had a small lead. Just thinking about it makes me want to throw something at my tv

mic
09-16-2013, 10:23 AM
We are one of the worse 3rd down teams. and this goes back to last year. We can convert 3rd downs and cant get off the field on 3rd downs.
Yes CDM way to conservative in 4th. I wish Dan would trust the players more. The first 3 quarters I though the play calling was more like it was during the Relf days difference is Dak is 10x the passer Relf was.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 10:28 AM
We are one of the worse 3rd down teams. and this goes back to last year. We can convert 3rd downs and cant get off the field on 3rd downs.
Yes CDM way to conservative in 4th. I wish Dan would trust the players more. The first 3 quarters I though the play calling was more like it was during the Relf days difference is Dak is 10x the passer Relf was.

No doubt. It was a puss mentality by our coach that cost us. You said it perfectly, he didn't trust in his players. Those players deserved his trust after that first half performance, but he didn't give it to them and it cost us the game. Had Dak been throwing a bunch of picks in the first half, I could understand it....but he had no reason not to trust Dak at that point. Besides, I would rather us lose while going for the throat than to lose by cutting off our nuts

MarketingBully01
09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Yep, and that wasnt a hold on Day. Especially when you consider they were holding all damn night. There are pictures I think on sixpackspeak that they had a hold of Chris Jones' jersey so bad and stretched it you couldn't see his number. They also held the crap out of Autry too. Must be good ole Grimes strategy in how to teach OLinemen. Hold till you get caugtht. 1 penalty for five yards on Auburn was a complete joke...heck if you are going to be that blatent why call the one?

Nicky Santoro
09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
another interesting stat that I see is after 3 games we are at the bottom of the football world in getting off the field on 3rd down. AU was 50% on 3rd down against our D. That, my friends, is unacceptable. we are also among the country's leaders on 4th down attempts. Not a good stat for a 1-2 team.

We need to fix some things - and quick.

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 11:28 AM
We threw 4 balls past the line of scrimmage on 2nd half third down plays and completed ONE... which still came up a yard short. It was shitty play calling and shittier execution. Our offense was shut down in the 2nd half by the WORST defense in our division. Their D-backs couldn't cover my flag football team from college.

Name one more team in the SEC West that Auburn will hold to 20 or fewer points?

bocfarm
09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
We threw 4 balls past the line of scrimmage on 2nd half third down plays and completed ONE... which still came up a yard short. It was shitty play calling and shittier execution. Our offense was shut down in the 2nd half by the WORST defense in our division. Their D-backs couldn't cover my flag football team from college.

You have a point....no one...they will give up 35+ to everyone else in the West

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Why do you keep trying to blame it on the players, when it is obvious that we went conservative? There was also a drop and a ball that could have possibly been caught by Jameon....so we almost converted despite going QB sneak...QB sneak...pass....punt the entire 4th quarter. We lost all creativity once Mullen tucked his wiener between his legs and started acting like a woman once we got the lead late. If you aren't looking at 3rd and 9 every 3rd down, it's easier to convert....but instead your boy Mullen went conservative and set us up for 3rd down failure because we had to get away from what we do best.

engie
09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
another interesting stat that I see is after 3 games we are at the bottom of the football world in getting off the field on 3rd down. AU was 50% on 3rd down against our D. That, my friends, is unacceptable. we are also among the country's leaders on 4th down attempts. Not a good stat for a 1-2 team.

We need to fix some things - and quick.

I think you need to recheck your stats. You went 1 for 3 on that one...

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm not blaming it on the players. I said its play calling and execution. y'all think its 100% CDM. That's asinine. we had four 3rd and 4's or less as a result of playing calling (player penalty pushed one back).

We failed on 3rd downs as a team... coaches, players, ball boys, etc... That's why we lost. We convert just two or three of those and that 10 seconds is gone.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm not blaming it on the players. I said its play calling and execution. y'all think its 100% CDM. That's asinine. we had four 3rd and 4's or less as a result of playing calling (player penalty pushed one back).

We failed on 3rd downs as a team... coaches, players, ball boys, etc... That's why we lost. We convert just two or three of those and that 10 seconds is gone.

And again, how many plays were our players failing on early in the game when we opened the offense up? And what happened to the play calls that worked earlier in the game like the screen or option? They disappeared, and instead we left Dak to stand in the pocket and try to pass on a passing defense. We took all chances of play action working out the window. THAT IS ON THE COACHES. You can't blame the players when it was the coaches that put em in a higher position to fail.

That's like saying it was the defensive players faults when we gave up the game winning drive. Well that same group of players had shut down Auburn most of the night, UNTIL Collins and Mullen decide to go tard strong and go into the Prevent. The result, an easy TD. Is that on the players?? Because they sure were playing well before the coach put them in a position to fail. Same thing with the offense.

Nicky Santoro
09-16-2013, 12:15 PM
OK - just checked.

We are 68th in the country at 3rd down defense (maybe not bottom of the football world - but not great either and that includes a nice 2-14 by our D against the Braves). Not good for what should be the strength of our team.
We have more 4th down attempts than anyone in the country with 12. The next closest is Idaho with 10. Sure we are converting just over 50% of those - but efficient offenses don't need to go for it on 4th down 4 times a game.
Auburn was 7-15 against us on 3rd down. Not good - not good at all.

Do you find any of the above acceptable? I do not.

Coach34
09-16-2013, 12:17 PM

I dont think anybody questions us having the worst offense in the West right now....but Auburn's D is better than A&M's and OM at this point

Nicky Santoro
09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I dont think anybody questions us having the worst offense in the West right now....but Auburn's D is better than A&M's and OM at this point

Based on what?

A&M nor the Bears have anything to write home about on D - but come on Coach - neither does Auburn. They have been ok at bend but don't break - but they haven't played anyone to test them either. We'll see how solid the Auburn D is Saturday night.

engie
09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
The point is, we "sat" on a 6 point lead -- and then a 3 point lead -- ON THE ROAD in the SEC... That is what everyone is pissed about. We should have gone for the jugular and tried to extend the lead. And we shouldn't have waited until the last/second-to-last drive to do it.

We should have never let off the gas period-- and the fact that we did is almost inconceivable from where we started under Mullen.

I think I'm even more pissed off because we saw shades of what made us good in 2010 in the first half -- only to see coaches completely lose touch with that and blow it with the playcalling at the end.

Nicky Santoro
09-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Oh - I am in complete agreement with you on this issue. It's unfathomable that we didn't try to score and put our foot on their neck in the second half. We won this game everywhere but the scoreboard.

My complaint was that we aren't that aggressive on D right now either - and with COllins and our talent - that is inconceivable from where we started under Mullen.

The Troy win can't come soon enough.

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM

what SEC West team will score 20 or fewer against Auburn?