PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Perry decommitted from Arky..What are the chances?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 08:37 AM
link (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19846413/five-star-forward-reggie-perry-decommits-arkansas-razorbacks)

247 (http://247sports.com/player/reggie-perry-86018)

MarketingBully
07-06-2017, 09:00 AM
I think as good as any. Coach McCray is the lead recruiter here. I think you get this kid, Woodard, and Stewart and call it a day. He would play the stretch four for us and is a perfect fit there in Coach Howland's system. I believe he is a legacy as his dad played for us before transferring out as a senior. He was rumored to have visited campus early this summer as well. Not saying he is a done deal but I think we have a puncher's chance.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Articles say he wants to be closer to dad because of health reasons. I wonder if his dad lives in Thomasville, Ga. Florida State would be the closest school to that that town if that is the case.

Bully13
07-06-2017, 09:07 AM
if the transfer is indeed due to his father's health, doesn't geography work against us?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 09:17 AM
if the transfer is indeed due to his father's health, doesn't geography work against us?

Assuming his dad lives where Reggie goes to high school.

Bully13
07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Assuming his dad lives where Reggie goes to high school.

anybody got a take on that? wouldn't this be a natural fit considering the Kegler deal? or am I off on positions?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 09:53 AM
We definitely have a shot. He took a quiet visit here a couple weeks back. His dad played ball at MSU, Al Perry. Yes his mom & dad are married & live in Thomasville, GA. That's not right around the corner but a helluva lot closer to Starkville than Fayetteville. He'd be IMO the best recruit Howland would have landed at MSU. He's the prototype stretch 4 & would fit perfectly in our system. I'm not sure if he's making any kind of decision soon but I would never bet against Howland & crew.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Not a transfer he's a 2018 recruit.

Bully13
07-06-2017, 10:00 AM
We definitely have a shot. He took a quiet visit here a couple weeks back. His dad played ball at MSU, Al Perry. Yes his mom & dad are married & live in Thomasville, GA. That's not right around the corner but a helluva lot closer to Starkville than Fayetteville. He'd be IMO the best recruit Howland would have landed at MSU. He's the prototype stretch 4 & would fit perfectly in our system. I'm not sure if he's making any kind of decision soon but I would never bet against Howland & crew.

thank you sir

Dawg61
07-06-2017, 10:10 AM
gotta like seeing 5 stars next to someone we have a good shot at getting

Johnson85
07-06-2017, 10:32 AM

About 7 hours versus a little over 13 according to Google Maps. Still a good hike but it at least puts a one night trip in reach.

MarketingBully
07-06-2017, 10:53 AM

Would be awesome to get Woodard (3), Stewart (2), and Perry (4) in this class. They all would play different positions and would compliment each other nicely. Those guys would be the type of class that Howland could use to get us to the Sweet 16. Two Brooks recruited guys and a McCray recruited guy. I would trade a 20+ win season this year to land that class for next year. Perry is a legit one and done.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Would be awesome to get Woodard (3), Stewart (2), and Perry (4) in this class. They all would play different positions and would compliment each other nicely. Those guys would be the type of class that Howland could use to get us to the Sweet 16. Two Brooks recruited guys and a McCray recruited guy. I would trade a 20+ win season this year to land that class for next year. Perry is a legit one and done.

I don't think Perry is a 1 & done but probably a 2yr guy.

basedog
07-06-2017, 11:01 AM

If memory serves me right, Al Perry was a very good player at Msu, point guard?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 11:08 AM

Yes

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Yes he is 3rd in all-time assists.

tcdog70
07-06-2017, 11:17 AM
another Bulldog legacy. Wonder why we weren't already high on His list. Al came from NY and brought Gary Hooker with Him. Great team-Wiley Peck-Ricky Brown-Al Perry-Gary Hooker and Greg Grim. Might be the best ever. Ricky Hood was also on that team.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 11:19 AM
another Bulldog legacy. Wonder why we weren't already high on His list. Al came from NY and brought Gary Hooker with Him. Great team-Wiley Peck-Ricky Brown-Al Perry-Gary Hooker and Greg Grim. Might be the best ever. Ricky Hood was also on that team.

We were on him hard when he committed to Arkansas. He plays for an Arkansas AAU Team.

KentuckyDawg13
07-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Woodard and Perry are both SFs.

basedog
07-06-2017, 11:34 AM

Ray White was a 6'5" guard from Gulfport who played with that bunch. He was an outstanding player! I'm pretty sure Gary Hooker played for the Harlem Globetrotters a few years, Wiley Peck was another outstanding player, dude was one of the best offensive rebounders, Ricky Brown another great player. I still remember watching Alcorn upset this team in a NIT game at the Hump. The legendary Davey Whitney was their coach and they were loaded with talent, we blew a big lead that night. Also a whiskey bottle came flying on the floor late in the game, luckily it didn't hit anyone.

P.S. I think that was the first game ever played between a in state SWAC school and Msu. It was a very intense game.

K9 Avenger
07-06-2017, 11:36 AM
We were on him hard when he committed to Arkansas. He plays for an Arkansas AAU Team.

If I'm not mistaken, his AAU team is adidas sponsored....Arky is a nike school, correct? Can't hurt our chances...

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Woodard and Perry are both SFs.

Perry can play the 3 but he would fit in fine as a stretch 4.

MarketingBully
07-06-2017, 11:38 AM

This must be why Howland was so optimistic about losing Kegler at least in the long run. Perry was rumored to wanting to decommit in late June. If that coincides with him and his family's discrete visit to our campus, I think it bodes well for us.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2017, 11:41 AM
This must be why Howland was so optimistic about losing Kegler at least in the long run. Perry was rumored to wanting to decommit in late June. If that coincides with him and his family's discrete visit to our campus, I think it bodes well for us.

The 2 situations aren't related.

AROB44
07-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by tcdog70

You are joking I am sure.....no way better that the Bailey Howell teams or the early 60's with Red Stroud, etc. Nor better than the 1996 final four team.

smootness
07-06-2017, 12:18 PM

You are joking I am sure.....no way better that the Bailey Howell teams or the early 60's with Red Stroud, etc. Nor better than the 1996 final four team.

Or the 2004 team

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 12:21 PM

Yeah, that was a great team, Hooker and Peck, wow. The called Wiley something Dr. Dunk or something.

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Ray White was a 6'5" guard from Gulfport who played with that bunch. He was an outstanding player! I'm pretty sure Gary Hooker played for the Harlem Globetrotters a few years, Wiley Peck was another outstanding player, dude was one of the best offensive rebounders, Ricky Brown another great player. I still remember watching Alcorn upset this team in a NIT game at the Hump. The legendary Davey Whitney was their coach and they were loaded with talent, we blew a big lead that night. Also a whiskey bottle came flying on the floor late in the game, luckily it didn't hit anyone.

P.S. I think that was the first game ever played between a in state SWAC school and Msu. It was a very intense game.

Ray White was automatic, sweet shot. And yep Hooker played for the trotters. I was at that NIT game, it was Christmas and school was out, me and a buddy drove back up from Vicksburg. Man, I was bummed, when we lost.

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 12:28 PM

You would have had to see them play ARO, them boys was good.

AROB44
07-06-2017, 12:32 PM
You would have had to see them play ARO, them boys was good.

I did....also saw Red Stroud era. You should have seen them play....

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 12:40 PM

I am sure your right, but I never had the chance to see them, I was a freshman in 1973. Games on TV were few and far between on the 3 channels we got when I was in high school mostly pro.
But you know ARO, over the years we have seen some bad roundball, but we have been blessed to see some really good.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 12:41 PM
I come back to check updates on Reggie Perry and all I see is talks about the basketball glory years. Start a new thread please.

basedog
07-06-2017, 12:42 PM

I remember as a little boy you telling the story of you having to get the ball out of peach basket after a goal was made******

I've heard and read about the 62 team (I think that was the year), when Msu went 24-1 and beat Kentucky twice that year. Kentucky went on to win the National Championship but Msu had to stay home and not play in the tournamnet because of the racial thingy.

JoseBrown
07-06-2017, 12:57 PM

He'll yea, that's the first team I had the chance to meet as a kid. Greg Grim could stroke it, but didn't he leave early for some reason? Grades maybe? Wasn't Malone with that group too? My memory is failing me a little....

tcdog70
07-06-2017, 03:14 PM
He'll yea, that's the first team I had the chance to meet as a kid. Greg Grim could stroke it, but didn't he leave early for some reason? Grades maybe? Wasn't Malone with that group too? My memory is failing me a little....

Grim played in a exhibition game and then quit Hatfield because he sucked. he was going to come back and play the next year but couldn't because of playing in 1 game. That might not be exactly right but I'm old and memory is fuzzy. Grim signed with Cowboys and tried to make it in football.

tcdog70
07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that was a great team, Hooker and Peck, wow. The called Wiley something Dr. Dunk or something.

Peck was called the Chairman Of the Boards.

tcdog70
07-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Or the 2004 team

how many #1 draft choices were on the 2004 team? Brown and Peck were #1s.

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Peck was called the Chairman Of the Boards.

Bingo that's it, thanks!

AROB44
07-06-2017, 03:32 PM
I remember as a little boy you telling the story of you having to get the ball out of peach basket after a goal was made******

I've heard and read about the 62 team (I think that was the year), when Msu went 24-1 and beat Kentucky twice that year. Kentucky went on to win the National Championship but Msu had to stay home and not play in the tournamnet because of the racial thingy.

Had the best overall record in the nation that year. Could have won it all if not for the stupid crap...

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 03:32 PM
I come back to check updates on Reggie Perry and all I see is talks about the basketball glory years. Start a new thread please.

Why don't you just go back to your argument with Dawg 61 in the nomination thread.

smootness
07-06-2017, 03:34 PM

#1's who lost 9 games. That was certainly a good team. But the 2004 team lost 2 regular season games, won the SEC title, and was a 2 seed in the Tournament. I don't care where they were drafted, I care about what they did while in college. And the 04 team outclasses that one all day.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Why don't you just go back to your argument with Dawg 61 in the nomination thread.

Because I had the last response there.

WPS
07-06-2017, 03:45 PM

He lived in Arkansas up until 9th grade I think. 3 or 4 of his teammates on that AAU team are committed to Arkansas so that might get awkward.

If the story about his father is true I think he ends up at Florida State, but who knows. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to a Kansas or Kentucky either. Apparently the FSU staff kept drilling into him the lack of draft picks we've had under Anderson.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-06-2017, 04:20 PM
SO he decommits from Arky and suddenly becomes a 4* wth?

thf24
07-06-2017, 04:26 PM

I'd say that bodes well for us. Only half joking.

Bully13
07-06-2017, 04:47 PM

they think he may go to State, tin foil hat and shit.

1bigdawg
07-06-2017, 04:51 PM

Grimm was drafted by the Cowboys. Amazing athlete.

Turfdawg67
07-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Here we go... Who knows??? Maybe Al fell out of contact with MSU? His kid didn't grow up in MS and never had any association, possibly?? Hell, my parents weren't huge MSU fans, but I still became one.... shit happens. My Dad was a marine but I had no desire to enlist. Did the Corps do something wrong?

Why don't we have 10 SEC Championships in football?? Why don't we have a Natty in baseball?? Why is MSU... so MSU??

Turfdawg67
07-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Every thread goes off kilter... lighten up Francis.

Dawg61
07-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Because I had the last response there.

Noted

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Noted

I HEAR YOU DAWG 61!

Dawg61
07-06-2017, 07:55 PM
I HEAR YOU DAWG 61!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msbulldog again.

msbulldog
07-06-2017, 08:07 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msbulldog again.

Thanks!

biggun
07-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Most "experts" are saying he lands at either FSU or Kentucky but don't count out Howland just yet!

MarketingBully
07-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Most "experts" are saying he lands at either FSU or Kentucky but don't count out Howland just yet!

Which "experts" are you referring to? Haven't seen where anyone has said Kentucky and the only reason people are saying FSU is because of the 30 mile difference. Haven't seen credible evidence that FSU is the leader.

MarketingBully
07-06-2017, 11:08 PM
He lived in Arkansas up until 9th grade I think. 3 or 4 of his teammates on that AAU team are committed to Arkansas so that might get awkward.

If the story about his father is true I think he ends up at Florida State, but who knows. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to a Kansas or Kentucky either. Apparently the FSU staff kept drilling into him the lack of draft picks we've had under Anderson.

He and his family also visited MSU in June so I think MSU is very much in the mix here.

Dawg61
07-06-2017, 11:17 PM

The only expert that matters to me is IfYouOnlyKnew (still waiting on that transfer list though...jk)

Bothrops
07-06-2017, 11:32 PM
From a 5* to a 4* now? He must be committing to us.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-07-2017, 08:05 AM
The only expert that matters to me is IfYouOnlyKnew (still waiting on that transfer list though...jk)

Yes MSU is in the mix but it's very premature to think we lead. UGA, Auburn, & FSU all feel they have a legit shot. Kentucky hasn't offered but they've raised their interest in Reggie & are going to be watching him close this July evaluation period. I imagine every school in the country is going to at least kick the tires. I don't think he makes a decision anytime soon. We'll be in the fight let's see if we can win it.

louisvilledawg
07-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Yes MSU is in the mix but it's very premature to think we lead. UGA, Auburn, & FSU all feel they have a legit shot. Kentucky hasn't offered but they've raised their interest in Reggie & are going to be watching him close this July evaluation period. I imagine every school in the country is going to at least kick the tires. I don't think he makes a decision anytime soon. We'll be in the fight let's see if we can win it.

soooooo... nah?

state66
07-14-2017, 03:51 PM
@EvanDaniels: Ben Howland & Leonard Hamilton are front & center for five-star forward Reggie Perry. Recently decommitted from Arkansas.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2017, 04:25 PM
@EvanDaniels: Ben Howland & Leonard Hamilton are front & center for five-star forward Reggie Perry. Recently decommitted from Arkansas.

It's likely going to come down to a MSU/FSU battle.

Bully13
07-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Sounds like you've received some updated info since your last post on this matter IYOK. thanks for the update sir.

MarketingBully
07-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Agreed.