PDA

View Full Version : DNF questions & observations

CadaverDawg
07-04-2017, 09:38 PM
1) Remind me what all we're expecting to have done by next season?

2) Do we know where our "home" games will be played yet?

Observation:

When looking at the renderings, the RF line will add tons of character, but could pose some problems for Right Fielders...That curved wall will cause the foul pole to be in an unusual spot and could lead to some crazy carroms on balls down the line. Also, the visiting bullpen will be in foul ground so those mounds could be tough to work around on a fly ball in foul ground. I personally like the character the curved wall creates, but was wondering about everybody else's thoughts?

https://i.imgflip.com/1rzsf5.jpg

Dawgbite
07-04-2017, 09:45 PM
I think it looks cheap and high schoolish. A lot of teams are doing it but I'm not a fan.

missouridawg
07-04-2017, 09:49 PM
When I was in school in the early 2000s, I may or may not have had the phone number to the opposing teams' bullpen. I wonder if the phone is going away since the bullpen will be within shouting distance of the dugout now?

lamont
07-04-2017, 09:59 PM
I think it looks cheap and high schoolish. A lot of teams are doing it but I'm not a fan.

It's called Old School look. Been part of beisball for 100 years

Steakonastick
07-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Everything on the lower level is supposed to be completed. The second level premium areas (sky boxes, club level, loge) will be completed by 2019 season. This also includes the press box. A makeshift press box will be used next year.

1. The bullpens needed to be on the field to help with the 360 degree walkway.

2. I'm glad the ball park will have some character. I like the how both lines will look and play different.

I'd guess we won't have any home games till the week of the first sec game. A midweek as the dress rehearsal before the weekend.

Todd4State
07-04-2017, 10:24 PM
I think they're supposed to have the lower deck ready and the outfield/LFL. The second deck is supposed to be done by 2019.

We will play our home games at the current site of Dudy-Noble Field. Last I heard we had 28 games scheduled in Starkville compared to around 35-38 or so normally. Usually we play at least three home series before SEC play. This year as far as I know we're playing USM in Hattiesburg, Texas Tech in Lubbock, and then the tournament in Houston in pre-SEC weekend play. Then I'm sure we will play the Governor's Cup and a game against USM in Jackson. We will also play some games at some minor league parks around the South- I've heard Biloxi, Memphis, and NOLA which will likely be midweek games.

I hope that the midweek games in minor league parks becomes an annual thing for us because I think it's good for our fans and sells the program better than playing Tennessee Tech on a Tuesday in Starkville in front of a few locals.

Definitely keep the two games in Jackson, either play Memphis, Arkansas State, or UT-Martin at Autozone, play a game in Biloxi against a Sun Belt or similar mid major team, a game against either Tulane, Southeast Louisiana, or UNO at Zephyr/Baby Cake Shrine on Airline in NOLA, and a game in Birmingham at Regions Park against preferably Samford since UAB is harboring Ron Polk.

Actually Tulane has a decent park- I'd be just fine playing them there to be honest. You could stay in downtown NOLA and take the street car to Tulane's campus and then walk all the way to the other side of their campus about 3-4 blocks to the park. Their stadium is actually more "tourist friendly" than the AAA park which IMO isn't as nice as Trustmark Park or MGM Park.

Nashville, Little Rock, Jackson, Tn., and Mobile would be some other decent places to play that have minor league stadiums.

CadaverDawg
07-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Everything on the lower level is supposed to be completed. The second level premium areas (sky boxes, club level, loge) will be completed by 2019 season. This also includes the press box. A makeshift press box will be used next year.

1. The bullpens needed to be on the field to help with the 360 degree walkway.

2. I'm glad the ball park will have some character. I like the how both lines will look and play different.

I'd guess we won't have any home games till the week of the first sec game. A midweek as the dress rehearsal before the weekend.

Thanks. Where will our early "home" games be played? Or are they all scheduled away?

Edited: Todd addressed. Thanks

Todd4State
07-04-2017, 10:28 PM
And to add even though it hasn't been asked- if we are selected to host a regional or SR it's going to be in Starkville.

Homedawg
07-04-2017, 10:59 PM
The one down side is we are going to have a ton of pissed off fans next year that have "paid for seats" that have no where to sit.

CadaverDawg
07-04-2017, 11:02 PM
The one down side is we are going to have a ton of pissed off fans next year that have "paid for seats" that have no where to sit.

Good point. Wonder how they'll resolve that?

Schultzy
07-05-2017, 02:42 AM
I've heard it's the home conference games only, 15 total at home next yr.

raymond21
07-05-2017, 06:13 AM
I've heard it's the home conference games only, 15 total at home next yr.

That's exactly what I'm expecting.

BrunswickDawg
07-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Pretty sure Cohen addressed that in a podcast with Matt Wyatt. Said something along the lines of this season would be seated based on BC points and that they would reseat again in 2019. Also mentioned that folks were notified about the issue with their original seat purchase contract. Now, that small print might have been overlooked by many. Guess we will see opening weekend.

RocketDawg
07-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Could always seat 'em in the new berm. **

TXDawg
07-05-2017, 07:59 AM
A few observations from looking at the rendering Cadaver provided and the live construction cam from the outfield (http://oxblue.com/archive/47097d2667d7f44405688f20da7b6bb5/current.jpg):

1) Right field will be VERY interesting with that concourse curve. That entire curve is going to be in fair territory and will create some odd bounces. Hopefully it'll be an advantage for us having practiced with it and knowing how to react to it.

2) Right field will have a bit of "short-porch" because of the concourse curve. It looks like the foul pole will be about 20 feet closer to home plate than the actual outfield wall in that area. Looks like balls hit onto the concourse curve will be HR's.

3) Visiting bullpen is going to be ridiculously close to home plate. Opposing players warming up better have some spotters to help protect them from line drive foul balls.

All in all, I like the added character that these features will provide. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they play in a game-time scenario.

Mobile Bay
07-05-2017, 08:28 AM
I think they're supposed to have the lower deck ready and the outfield/LFL. The second deck is supposed to be done by 2019.

We will play our home games at the current site of Dudy-Noble Field. Last I heard we had 28 games scheduled in Starkville compared to around 35-38 or so normally. Usually we play at least three home series before SEC play. This year as far as I know we're playing USM in Hattiesburg, Texas Tech in Lubbock, and then the tournament in Houston in pre-SEC weekend play. Then I'm sure we will play the Governor's Cup and a game against USM in Jackson. We will also play some games at some minor league parks around the South- I've heard Biloxi, Memphis, and NOLA which will likely be midweek games.

I hope that the midweek games in minor league parks becomes an annual thing for us because I think it's good for our fans and sells the program better than playing Tennessee Tech on a Tuesday in Starkville in front of a few locals.

Definitely keep the two games in Jackson, either play Memphis, Arkansas State, or UT-Martin at Autozone, play a game in Biloxi against a Sun Belt or similar mid major team, a game against either Tulane, Southeast Louisiana, or UNO at Zephyr/Baby Cake Shrine on Airline in NOLA, and a game in Birmingham at Regions Park against preferably Samford since UAB is harboring Ron Polk.

Actually Tulane has a decent park- I'd be just fine playing them there to be honest. You could stay in downtown NOLA and take the street car to Tulane's campus and then walk all the way to the other side of their campus about 3-4 blocks to the park. Their stadium is actually more "tourist friendly" than the AAA park which IMO isn't as nice as Trustmark Park or MGM Park.

Nashville, Little Rock, Jackson, Tn., and Mobile would be some other decent places to play that have minor league stadiums.

Montgomery, Alabama and Birmingham, AL also have top notch first class minor league parks. There is also a good one in Huntsville where a lot of our alumni end up.

AusTexDawg
07-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Last I heard we had 28 games scheduled in Starkville compared to around 35-38 or so normally. Usually we play at least three home series before SEC play. This year as far as I know we're playing USM in Hattiesburg, Texas Tech in Lubbock, and then the tournament in Houston in pre-SEC weekend play. Then I'm sure we will play the Governor's Cup and a game against USM in Jackson. We will also play some games at some minor league parks around the South- I've heard Biloxi, Memphis, and NOLA which will likely be midweek games.

Per the Dispatch (http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=59089), Cannizaro said the first home weekend will be March 9th. Here is schedule so far according to the article:
- 2/17-2/19 @ Southern Miss
- 2/23-2/25 @ Kleberg Bank Tournament (Corpus Christi, TX)
This tournament always includes Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Looks like it usually includes at least one Big Ten team.
Here are other recent participants: Mizzou, Illinois, Houston, Michigan State, UCF, Texas State, Purdue, Sam Houston State
- 2/26 (Monday) @ UT-Rio Grande Valley (Edinburg, TX)
- 2/28 (Wednesday) @ McNeese State
- 3/2-3/4 @ Shriners Houston College Classic: MSU vs. Houston, Sam Houston State and UL-Lafayette
While these are typically pretty good teams, I wish there were a bigger name Texas school in the mix
- 3/9 home vs. Utah Valley State
Sounds like this is a 3-game series. This has been planned as a home weekend since at least January, per the Open Dates listings at College Baseball Insider (http://collegebaseballinsider.com/open-dates/2018-open-dates/)

Lumpy Chucklelips
07-05-2017, 10:35 AM
If you look at the rendering, the curve in the corner of the outfield is not nearly as pronounced as it is in the live feed. In the rendering the berm slants out and straightens out the curve somewhat. In looking at the live feed I'm not sure how they can do that because the current foul line doesn't look like it allows the berm to curve out to help in straightening out the curve. Unless they move home plate up some, I don't know. But that would require them to move the fences out more.

Bottom line, I can't imagine them leaving that much of a curve in the corner. That could definitely change the outcome of a game and why would you want to do that?

Leeshouldveflanked
07-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Didn't A&M rebuild Kyle Field during the off season a year or two ago? Why does it take so long to rebuild DNF?

TXDawg
07-05-2017, 12:02 PM
For one thing, TAMU imploded Kyle Field whereas we are taking DNF down with track hoes.

Secondly, I'm sure TAMU's budget for KF was a lot more than what we have allotted for DNF. That'll buy a lot of OT and an accelerated construction schedule.

TXDawg
07-05-2017, 12:09 PM
If you look at the rendering, the curve in the corner of the outfield is not nearly as pronounced as it is in the live feed. In the rendering the berm slants out and straightens out the curve somewhat. In looking at the live feed I'm not sure how they can do that because the current foul line doesn't look like it allows the berm to curve out to help in straightening out the curve. Unless they move home plate up some, I don't know. But that would require them to move the fences out more.

Bottom line, I can't imagine them leaving that much of a curve in the corner. That could definitely change the outcome of a game and why would you want to do that?

If you compare the rendering that Cadaver provided and the current live image, it looks like they have redesigned the layout of the berm wall. In the rendering, the berm wall angles away from the field until it connects with the grandstand. In the construction cam, it looks like they're framing the berm wall to have a 90-degree left turn (away from the field). I'm assuming this wall will eventually do a 90-degree right turn (back towards home plate) and connect with the grandstand. If this is the case, one benefit to doing this would be to allow more room for the visiting bullpen to be farther from home plate than where it appears in the rendering.

Bottom line, though, actual construction looks a lot different than the rendering.

mstatefan91
07-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Here's a better image of what the berm area is supposed to look like.

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/dnfmasterplan/wp-content/themes/reseating/images/stadiumback-baseball.jpg

Mjoelner34
07-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Here's a better image of what the berm area is supposed to look like.

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/dnfmasterplan/wp-content/themes/reseating/images/stadiumback-baseball.jpg

That's not the rendering that was put out for bid. That rendering was for the total destruction of the old stadium. We're keeping the current sight lines by saving the bottom rows of the grandstand. The berm wall in right field will probably only allow for a foot or two of foul territory down the line.

Mjoelner34
07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Here is what was bid.2828

bulldogcountry1
07-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Yeah, everyone needs to throw out the rendering with any Airstream trailers on them. They made a lot of cuts.

Concerning the bullpens - They have to be put somewhere. The outfield was out of the question, and you lose a lot of seating real estate if you put them down the lines. Left field in the rendering is the perfect example.

bulldogcountry1
07-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Even the official plan rendering is off because the lower grandstand will actually extend a full section further down the LF line.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-05-2017, 02:22 PM
For one thing, TAMU imploded Kyle Field whereas we are taking DNF down with track hoes.

Secondly, I'm sure TAMU's budget for KF was a lot more than what we have allotted for DNF. That'll buy a lot of OT and an accelerated construction schedule.

So you are saying this is "LT Approved"!

mstatefan91
07-05-2017, 06:50 PM
That's not the rendering that was put out for bid. That rendering was for the total destruction of the old stadium. We're keeping the current sight lines by saving the bottom rows of the grandstand. The berm wall in right field will probably only allow for a foot or two of foul territory down the line.

Well that is the image in the actual Dudy Noble construction page. So... Yep

mstatefan91
07-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Weird.. Guess we will all see when it's done lol

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Don't remind me... this pisses me off A LOT... how much did they save taking the stadium down piece by piece to save the bottom rows vs destroying the whole thing faster with no care of saving anything...
The sight lines SUCK and are one of the reasons why we needed to make a new stadium instead of just expanding. DAMNIT

Bully13
07-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Don't remind me... this pisses me off A LOT... how much did they save taking the stadium down piece by piece to save the bottom rows vs destroying the whole thing faster with no care of saving anything...
The sight lines SUCK and are one of the reasons why we needed to make a new stadium instead of just expanding. DAMNIT

I've always been under the impression that DNF was a "pitchers park" meaning it was not friendly to HR hitters. are we still going for that model? meaning you put speedy outfielders out there and you put line drive hitters in the line up who can also steal bases? isn't that the model for the Omaha ball park? if this is still the case, my major question would be why not more foul territory ? if you are going to have a pitcher's park, shouldn't you have more foul territory?

State82
07-06-2017, 10:24 PM

I agree Scooba. The initial plan that was rolled out and completely wowed the collegiate baseball world is not what we're getting. And that's very frustrating.

HSVDawg
07-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Montgomery, Alabama and Birmingham, AL also have top notch first class minor league parks. There is also a good one in Huntsville where a lot of our alumni end up.

The stadium in Huntsville is crap and is a big reason the minor league team here moved to Biloxi. Basically its a larger version of Smith-Wills. That being said, I'd love if they played some games up here and would definitely show up.

mstatefan91
07-07-2017, 11:22 AM
I agree Scooba. The initial plan that was rolled out and completely wowed the collegiate baseball world is not what we're getting. And that's very frustrating.

Well, uh, you should probably blame the people who refused to take out the check book because they weren't happy winning the SEC last year and over-performing with a first year head coach this season.

The amount of times I heard "And they expect us to pay for a new stadium" after a single loss was and is sad. Our fan base is our own worst enemy.

HSVDawg
07-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Well, uh, you should probably blame the people who refused to take out the check book because they weren't happy winning the SEC last year and over-performing with a first year head coach this season.

The amount of times I heard "And they expect us to pay for a new stadium" after a single loss was and is sad. Our fan base is our own worst enemy.

Let's not get too carried away. The time to pre-order chairbacks and premium seating expired well before last season ever began (and maybe before Cannizaro was even hired). Anyone you heard saying that was likely pissed that the stadium was being torn down to begin with and was not going to be ponying up the money no matter the cost or on-field performance of the team.

state66
07-09-2017, 11:14 PM
What was the reasoning behind ripping up the outfield and the infield? Didnt we redo the field 5-6 years ago? Are we redoing some drainage/irrigation?

RocketDawg
07-10-2017, 06:49 AM
The stadium in Huntsville is crap and is a big reason the minor league team here moved to Biloxi. Basically its a larger version of Smith-Wills. That being said, I'd love if they played some games up here and would definitely show up.

I would be surprised if it's not in ever worse shape since it hasn't been used. I've always thought they could renovate it and have a really nice ball park ... nothing wrong with the seating areas and the field. At one time it was the nicest park in the Southern League.

RocketDawg
07-10-2017, 06:51 AM
At DNF ... what's the purpose of the big circle at the edge of right field?

Tbonewannabe
07-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Looks like something just to make it look unique. It would make playing a ball in the corner interesting.

Bully13
07-10-2017, 09:27 AM
where is all the cooking going to take place? no more LFL?

Todd4State
07-10-2017, 09:28 AM

I believe that is supposed to be the main entrance and if you look closely there is a statue in the rendering. I think the idea is it's supposed to be kind of a tribute to MSU baseball/welcome to Dudy Noble Field area.

Todd4State
07-10-2017, 09:34 AM

I figured it would be cheaper to just blow the thing up than try to save the box seats and take it down the way we are now. It makes zero sense to me as to why we are saving those first few rows- and I hope it's not because we caved in to people bitching about the new ballpark and this was an olive wreath from MSU.

Giving in to our fans that bitch the most is what holds us back sometimes- like bringing Polk back again......and again. Sometimes MSU needs to stand up and say "no" here's what we're doing, we're bringing in Cohen because that's what's best for the program and you can just e-mail me everyday about him cussing at our players if that makes you feel better. Or whatever it is.

Now that I've said that- it may not be the case.

Steakonastick
07-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Pretty sure the dugouts and the box seats were saved to save time. it was faster to adapt the seats for better sight lines then spend weeks pouring concrete. I'll see if I can get told a straight answer today.

Todd4State
07-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure the dugouts and the box seats were saved to save time. it was faster to adapt the seats for better sight lines then spend weeks pouring concrete. I'll see if I can get told a straight answer today.

That makes sense to me. I'm not a construction expert by any means- but I've built a house before, LOL- and I just can't see where saving the box seats would be have been cheaper.

And I may be totally off on the sight lines issue, but it does seem to me like we could possibly angle in the seats since we have taken them out.

HSVDawg
07-10-2017, 10:40 AM
I would be surprised if it's not in ever worse shape since it hasn't been used. I've always thought they could renovate it and have a really nice ball park ... nothing wrong with the seating areas and the field. At one time it was the nicest park in the Southern League.

Seating areas do leave a lot to be desired. The seating along the 3rd base line runs completely parallel to the foul line all the way to the foul pole, which leads to some really terrible sight lines. And that accounts for close to 50% of the seats in the stadium. It being bleacher seating doesn't help either.

The location isn't good either. Many cities these days have realized that fans don't really have an emotional attachment to minor league teams / players, so in order to get good attendance you have to have a really nice, comfortable fan experience along with some tangential entertainment options. I always thought it would be a great idea for them to build a new park at the old site planned for the Constellation shopping area that never got off the ground. That would be walking distance from Downtown and Big Spring Park and everything that goes along with that. And the way Huntsville has been growing, I wouldn't be surprised if a new stadium was planned within the next 5 years or so.

BrunswickDawg
07-10-2017, 10:48 AM
That makes sense to me. I'm not a construction expert by any means- but I've built a house before, LOL- and I just can't see where saving the box seats would be have been cheaper.

And I may be totally off on the sight lines issue, but it does seem to me like we could possibly angle in the seats since we have taken them out.
Think of it this way - those box seats and the dugouts form the solid concrete foundation for the concrete risers that the seating is attached to. It is probably solid concrete and rebar 4-6 feet below the playing surface to serve its purpose as a footer for all of the weight above. Digging all of that out, then having to compact the new base, then pour new and wait 2-3 weeks min. For it to cure before adding the risers adds weeks to the schedule. If the can fix the sight line issue while saving that time then maintaining that section makes very good sense. Easy saved a month in construction.

RocketDawg
07-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I believe that is supposed to be the main entrance and if you look closely there is a statue in the rendering. I think the idea is it's supposed to be kind of a tribute to MSU baseball/welcome to Dudy Noble Field area.

You'd think that, if have to have it, it could have been moved out a few feet so as to not interfere with right field. Maybe that was the intent though ... to give right field some "character". Looks like there are even bleachers on one side to watch ... something.

RocketDawg
07-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Seating areas do leave a lot to be desired. The seating along the 3rd base line runs completely parallel to the foul line all the way to the foul pole, which leads to some really terrible sight lines. And that accounts for close to 50% of the seats in the stadium. It being bleacher seating doesn't help either.

The location isn't good either. Many cities these days have realized that fans don't really have an emotional attachment to minor league teams / players, so in order to get good attendance you have to have a really nice, comfortable fan experience along with some tangential entertainment options. I always thought it would be a great idea for them to build a new park at the old site planned for the Constellation shopping area that never got off the ground. That would be walking distance from Downtown and Big Spring Park and everything that goes along with that. And the way Huntsville has been growing, I wouldn't be surprised if a new stadium was planned within the next 5 years or so.

There was talk at one time about a new stadium where the Coca Cola bottling plant was. I think that has gone by the wayside now. It really would be a good location since it's near the Von Braun Center (about to undergo a decent size expansion). That site has also been talked about for a new hotel, but I suppose they can't decide and it's just remaining vacant for the time being.

I was downtown last week for the first time in quite a while ... maybe a year ... and it's looking pretty good now. Some impressive things have been done. And the mayor wants a new city hall, but I think his cost guesstimate is off by about a factor of 5. He's saying $20M.

But back to the original point ... yes, it would be nice to have MSU play a game or two here. Didn't our hockey team play a game in Decatur a year or two ago?