PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Stovall is playing alot of SS this summer

lamont
07-03-2017, 03:28 PM
will the Belmont Fan Club survive Stovall playing SS for us in 2018???

msstate7
07-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Where's Alexander at this summer (position)? I noticed in the cape update he's outhitting Stovall.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:32 PM
It sounds like they are both going to compete for the spot with Stovall having the lead at the moment.

shoeless joe
07-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Not sure if I'm in said fan club or not but I do believe that defensively LA is the best we have at that position. However, if he can't hit a lick then it won't matter. Always good to have competition nad whoever isn't at SS will prolly end up at 2nd or 3rd.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Where's Alexander at this summer (position)? I noticed in the cape update he's outhitting Stovall.

Shortstop.

msstate7
07-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Shortstop.
Who most likely to be 3b? If we have no likely guy there that could explain getting Stovall look at SS. Alexander might have to play 3b

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Not sure if I'm in said fan club or not but I do believe that defensively LA is the best we have at that position. However, if he can't hit a lick then it won't matter. Always good to have competition nad whoever isn't at SS will prolly end up at 2nd or 3rd.

I agree but at the same time the guy making the decision has played SS in MLB and has coached three All- SEC SS so it's hard to argue with him. I think Stovall can play SS and I wonder if Cann views the position as a reward for all around play. In other words if you have two guys that are comparable defensively but one hits better Cann is going to give it to the one that hits better.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Who most likely to be 3b? If we have no likely guy there that could explain getting Stovall look at SS. Alexander might have to play 3b

LA could end up there again. I'm hoping Jordan Westburg or Tanner Allen play there though in that order. Rowdy Jordan has been hitting really well this summer and I would imagine he will be a factor as well at second base.

Randolph Dupree
07-03-2017, 03:51 PM
I agree but at the same time the guy making the decision has played SS in MLB and has coached three All- SEC SS so it's hard to argue with him. I think Stovall can play SS and I wonder if Cann views the position as a reward for all around play. In other words if you have two guys that are comparable defensively but one hits better Cann is going to give it to the one that hits better.

Interesting theory. I have no idea what the idea is behind those moves, but I do know that our coaches pick the summer league position assignments so Cann must be exploring the possibility of Stovall at short. Regardless of where he plays in the field I look for LA to have a solid year at the plate, I think it was more of a confidence issue with him last year.

smootness
07-03-2017, 03:53 PM
I don't know what will happen or how we'll try to maximize what we have, but Alexander will easily be the best defensive SS on the roster. I would hope no one would argue with that.

lamont
07-03-2017, 04:12 PM
I don't know what will happen or how we'll try to maximize what we have, but Alexander will easily be the best defensive SS on the roster. I would hope no one would argue with that.

I just find it funny we keep saying that- when Gridley was the All-SEC SS and now Stovall is getting work there. The guy may never play SS for us

Belmont certainly had a confidence problem at the plate- but that was because he cant recognize the slider. Same thing that plagued Humphreys vs RHP's. His improvement vs good RHP's will decide his fate come the Spring

state66
07-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Bragg is hitting .348 with 2 homeruns. Really hope the rumor isnt true about him not coming back. We could use his bat.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Stovall is Cody 2.0, can probably do everything except pitch

basedog
07-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Stovall > Belmont

Just a better athlete, has proven himself, dude can play any position.

I hope Belmont rakes in the fall, I just can't see him hitting Sec pitchers, hope I'm wrong.

Noxdog
07-03-2017, 06:29 PM

He's not sold on LA's lateral range,,,yet.

I think he is our 3b next year and Stovall plays ss. 2nd will probably be a frosh, either Allen or Westburg.

msstate7
07-03-2017, 06:35 PM

I think he is our 3b next year and Stovall plays ss. 2nd will probably be a frosh, either Allen or Westburg.

Lateral range... weird. Has something happened to Alexander since his freshman year? He made a play in short LF vs vandy that was MLB quality... went a long way and got the throw to 1b

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Lateral range... weird. Has something happened to Alexander since his freshman year? He made a play in short LF vs vandy that was MLB quality... went a long way and got the throw to 1b

Lateral range could also mean hitting pitches on the outside part of the plate.****

msstate7
07-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Lateral range could also mean hitting pitches on the outside part of the plate.****

Now I can buy that haha

Alexander looked outstanding range wise last season though at SS

Noxdog
07-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Dunno. It's in the 247 interview. By no means was he saying that LA would not be the SS but reading between the lines he will have to take it from HS.
Also RF said that AC is really high on HS at the SS position.

Sometimes you win sometime you lose, sometimes good time charlie sings the blues.

Homedawg
07-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Bragg is hitting .348 with 2 homeruns. Really hope the rumor isnt true about him not coming back. We could use his bat.

Bragg has a slow bat. He will hurt guys with low velocity. Friday night guys in the sec will own him. He has no spot.

Homedawg
07-03-2017, 08:54 PM

That's fine, and we all know LA can't hit. But gridley gave up a ton of hits because he played 10 steps in on the inf due to his lack of arm strength.

Percho
07-03-2017, 09:58 PM
My opinion gets sore reading opinions. :)

HSVDawg
07-03-2017, 11:54 PM
I'll once again reiterate that Stovall cannot play third base. He cannot do it.

We know he can play 2B and we know he can play SS to some extent, but no one at this point knows how good he can play there consistently. We know LA can play 2B and SS and 3B because he has done them all and done them all well in his MSU career.

I say all that to say if LA isn't at shortstop next year, it still doesn't mean he isn't the best overall defensive infielder we have. It just means that we once again couldn't find a f-ing third baseman. And right now considering that Cody Brown has graduated and Bragg has been run off, I'd say the odds of us not finding that other third baseman are pretty f-ing good.

smootness
07-04-2017, 12:29 AM
I just find it funny we keep saying that- when Gridley was the All-SEC SS and now Stovall is getting work there. The guy may never play SS for us

Belmont certainly had a confidence problem at the plate- but that was because he cant recognize the slider. Same thing that plagued Humphreys vs RHP's. His improvement vs good RHP's will decide his fate come the Spring

I'm saying that because I've seen Alexander play SS at State.

I seen it dawg
07-04-2017, 12:34 AM
I'll believe Belmont is our best SS when he actually beats someone out for the job.hes our best defensive option at 3rd. That's proven. It's all that's been proven. I just don't get the people that keep saying he's our best SS yet he never plays there. I wish the ****er was Ozzie smith and would hit .300 but neither are close to happening.

msstate7
07-04-2017, 12:57 AM
I'll believe Belmont is our best SS when he actually beats someone out for the job.hes our best defensive option at 3rd. That's proven. It's all that's been proven. I just don't get the people that keep saying he's our best SS yet he never plays there. I wish the ****er was Ozzie smith and would hit .300 but neither are close to happening.

He beat gridley out as a true freshman. He lost the job bc of his bat, not his glove

Dawg61
07-04-2017, 04:07 AM
Bragg has a slow bat. He will hurt guys with low velocity. Friday night guys in the sec will own him. He has no spot.

No spot? He will start for us or he should. Bragg has the potential to be one of our best hitters next year.

basedog
07-04-2017, 08:12 AM
That's fine, and we all know LA can't hit. But gridley gave up a ton of hits because he played 10 steps in on the inf due to his lack of arm strength.

I'm so glad the folks who voted Grid 1st team SS didn't read your post****

msstate7
07-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Gridley was really good this year. That said, arm strength is a problem. Hell, he's already moved to 2b in MiLB

basedog
07-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Gridley was really good this year. That said, arm strength is a problem. Hell, he's already moved to 2b in MiLB

I can't find any fault in Grid playing SS for Msu and being 1st team SEC. Not sure he will make it to the show, but he was a really good college player.

I trust Cann to have another good SS next year.

msstate7
07-04-2017, 08:42 AM
I can't find any fault in Grid playing SS for Msu and being 1st team SEC. Not sure he will make it to the show, but he was a really good college player.

I trust Cann to have another good SS next year.
It was quite the honor. Gridley was a good bulldog.

I seen it dawg
07-04-2017, 09:56 AM
He beat gridley out as a true freshman. He lost the job bc of his bat, not his glove

I think that was more that he was the anointed one since he was in 8th grade so Cohen played him...then quickly went to who the 3 yr starter should have been. And who was all sec and never gave up the spot. And Belmont went on to being a good defensive, not anything great that I saw, and a juco hitter at this point.

And I HOPE Belmont gets it together and becomes all sec at SS. If he does it makes us much better. He has to PROVE he can play there for us at this point.

msstate7
07-04-2017, 10:46 AM
The sec is the premier conference in college baseball. The sec 1st string SS never started a game at SS in the bottom levels of MiLB. That shows you gridley won his honor (hell of an honor) by his offense.

HSVDawg
07-04-2017, 10:50 AM
I think that was more that he was the anointed one since he was in 8th grade so Cohen played him...then quickly went to who the 3 yr starter should have been. And who was all sec and never gave up the spot. And Belmont went on to being a good defensive, not anything great that I saw, and a juco hitter at this point.

And I HOPE Belmont gets it together and becomes all sec at SS. If he does it makes us much better. He has to PROVE he can play there for us at this point.

"Quickly went to him"? You serious? Alexander basically had a season ending wrist injury which forced Gridley over there. It's not like Cohen said "this guy sucks, Gridley is better" at any point of his freshmen year.

HSVDawg
07-04-2017, 10:52 AM

He was first team because of his bat, and deservedly so. It's not that difficult of a concept. Nobody that hits .250 will ever be a first team All SEC shortstop even if they are Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel back there. That said, Gridley was a solid shortstop but not a spectacular one in terms of range or arm strength. He will be a 2B or utility guy if he makes MLB.

lamont
07-04-2017, 11:23 AM
"Quickly went to him"? You serious? Alexander basically had a season ending wrist injury which forced Gridley over there. It's not like Cohen said "this guy sucks, Gridley is better" at any point of his freshmen year.

Cohen was playing them both at SS- Belmont made 14 starts but even in some of those- Grid was shifted to SS and Belmont to 3B to insert Holland or Stovall at 2B. Grid was made full-time starter at SS before the injury. Belmont played some after Grid moved there full-time for the last 39 games.

lamont
07-04-2017, 11:23 AM
He was first team because of his bat, and deservedly so. .

He was 1st team because he was the most complete SS in the SEC- offensively and defensively.

basedog
07-04-2017, 11:43 AM
He was 1st team because he was the most complete SS in the SEC- offensively and defensively.

+1

I bet Grid's fielding % is high, dude was solid yet some get their panties in a wad cause Belmont didn't play SS? Being 1st team in the Sec at any sport is a lifetime achievement.

I seen it dawg
07-04-2017, 01:36 PM
Cohen was playing them both at SS- Belmont made 14 starts but even in some of those- Grid was shifted to SS and Belmont to 3B to insert Holland or Stovall at 2B. Grid was made full-time starter at SS before the injury. Belmont played some after Grid moved there full-time for the last 39 games.

Surely not...

msstate7
07-04-2017, 02:34 PM

Alexander made 20 starts (19 at SS and 1 at 2b vs bama)

lamont
07-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Alexander made 20 starts (19 at SS and 1 at 2b vs bama)

Not according to the box scores. I looked at every one of them

I seen it dawg
07-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Belmont had only 6 starts where he finished the game and didn't change position. If he was our best SS he wouldn't have been moving around. Or coming out. The "best SS we have" doesn't come out of games or move positions during games.

raymond21
07-05-2017, 06:16 AM

Definitely not coming back

msstate7
07-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Not according to the box scores. I looked at every one of them

https://s1.postimg.org/ebe5hj5fz/IMG_1736.png (https://postimg.org/image/w1fu2kj0r/)

Only start he had that wasn't SS was at 2b vs bama. He left bama game after first defensive play... tried to come back from injury too soon

smootness
07-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Belmont had only 6 starts where he finished the game and didn't change position. If he was our best SS he wouldn't have been moving around. Or coming out. The "best SS we have" doesn't come out of games or move positions during games.

He does if he's also the best at the other positions and the only one good enough to move around and offer value everywhere.

I seen it dawg
07-05-2017, 09:55 AM
But not good enough to be the SS last year....

smootness
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
But not good enough to be the SS last year....

If the drop-off from Alexander to Gridley at SS (again, defensively, not talking about offense) is less than the drop-off from Alexander to anyone else at 3B, then it makes the most sense to have Alexander at 3B and Gridley at SS. Not sure why that is a crazy thought.

lamont
07-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Gridley started the last 39 games at SS in 2016- and 47 total. We played 63 games

tcdog70
07-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Belmont started 14 games at SS according to the box scores- Gridley started the last 39 games at SS in 2016- and 47 total.

Let's use a little common sense (I know a rare thing on mess. boards).

Gridley was 1st team all-SEC. That means that people who are in the know--voted him the best. Now using common sense one would deduce that he was also the best SS on MSU's Bulldogs. I don't see where any argument other that He is best can be made. Luke has potential to be a very outstanding defensive SS, but that is just half of the equation. He can't hit SEC pitching and on numerous occasions
he could not execute the bunt or just put the ball in play to move the runners. Unless some huge improvement goes on this summer He will not be our SS next year. He might not even be on the field, which is great because that would mean the Mighty Bulldogs have someone that can actually hit and field their position. Please let's quit beating the Alexander>Gridley horse.

HSVDawg
07-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Gridley was 1st team all-SEC. That means that people who are in the know--voted him the best. Now using common sense one would deduce that he was also the best SS on MSU's Bulldogs. I don't see where any argument other that He is best can be made. Luke has potential to be a very outstanding defensive SS, but that is just half of the equation. He can't hit SEC pitching and on numerous occasions
he could not execute the bunt or just put the ball in play to move the runners. Unless some huge improvement goes on this summer He will not be our SS next year. He might not even be on the field, which is great because that would mean the Mighty Bulldogs have someone that can actually hit and field their position. Please let's quit beating the Alexander>Gridley horse.

Nobody doubts that Gridley is the better hitter or that LA struggled at the plate. That was never what the argument was about.

The only reason the dead horse continues to be beaten is because a couple of posters continue to take a player they don't like for whatever reason and troll the whole board by exaggerating his limitations to include both hitting and fielding when 99% of the board realizes that the only struggle area is hitting. They are either trolling, or they are stupid. Or both. I've stopped trying to figure it out.

msstate7
07-05-2017, 01:14 PM

The best SS in the sec didn't play 1 game at SS in MiLB. If gridley won the best SS in the sec with his defensive prowess, he'd be playing ss in MiLB. He won bc of his bat and probably bc he had a good fielding %. Fielding % is probably one of the worst ways to judge a defensive player though

ETA... Carlos correa is starting SS in AS game and with good reason. He couldn't hold a candle to andrelton Simmons though defensively. Same situation here

The Federalist Engineer
07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
LA will be just fine. He will end up being a one-year-Superstar like Humphreys and Gridley.

Some dudes just have to develop at the plate. Rooker up'ed his average 60 points per year from 257 as a Redshirt Freshman. Reid Humphreys did the same thing in year-3, about 70 points as a Junior. Gridley did 40 points per year from 243. Renfroe 100 points per year from 154.

Note, LA did not really get a freshman season due to injury.

tcdog70
07-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Nobody doubts that Gridley is the better hitter or that LA struggled at the plate. That was never what the argument was about.

The only reason the dead horse continues to be beaten is because a couple of posters continue to take a player they don't like for whatever reason and troll the whole board by exaggerating his limitations to include both hitting and fielding when 99% of the board realizes that the only struggle area is hitting. They are either trolling, or they are stupid. Or both. I've stopped trying to figure it out.

if you are choosing up for a sandlot game-who you picking for your SS.. I'm going with Gridley.

I seen it dawg
07-05-2017, 05:17 PM

Welcome to post 54....hahahahahahahaha