PDA

View Full Version : I agree................

Liverpooldawg
07-02-2017, 09:15 PM
and I will add a postulate to the theory and conjecture; the true measure of who is your rival is NOT who you would most like to beat, it's who you absolutely can NOT stand to lose to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-do-they-even-play-the-game/2017/06/29/ef535938-5c2c-11e7-a9f6-7c3296387341_story.html?utm_term=.b3c46d9bda9e

Reason2succeed
07-03-2017, 06:43 AM
Alabama and LSU are our real rivals.

If there is one thing we need to give Croom credit for he identified Alabama as a must win game. And because of that there is one thing he has done that Mullen has yet to do. He beat them.

With OM being decimated we need countdown clocks in the locker room for the LSU game and the Alabama game. Those are the games that decide the SEC West every year.

Pollodawg
07-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Alabama and LSU are our real rivals.

If there is one thing we need to give Croom credit for he identified Alabama as a must win game. And because of that there is one thing he has done that Mullen has yet to do. He beat them.

With OM being decimated we need countdown clocks in the locker room for the LSU game and the Alabama game. Those are the games that decide the SEC West every year.
Croom's Bama and Dan's Bama are apples and Jupiter as far as comparisons go.

DownwardDawg
07-03-2017, 07:41 AM

There is NO DOUBTING that. I poke Bama fans from time to time about Croom beating them twice. They laugh and say something like "that's cute". Could you imagine what the score would have been the past few years between Croom's MSU and Saban's Bama???

With that said, we can NEVER forget that ole miss is our #1 rival. That's how we ended up passing them by so far in football. They tried to change their rival so their rival kicked their butt's regularly.

Reason2succeed
07-03-2017, 07:57 AM

True but Bama had superior talent back then too. My point is that everyone knew that beating Bama was one of THE priorities of the season. Croom lost to a lot of teams. No one would have been surprised had he went oh-fer against Alabama...but he didn't.

Mullen has had shots against Bama. If OM can beat Bama twice and we can beat OM then obviously beating Bama is not out of the realm of possibility. It just has to be a priority.

Mimi's Babies
07-03-2017, 08:18 AM
True but Bama had superior talent back then too. My point is that everyone knew that beating Bama was one of THE priorities of the season. Croom lost to a lot of teams. No one would have been surprised had he went oh-fer against Alabama...but he didn't.

Mullen has had shots against Bama. If OM can beat Bama twice and we can beat OM then obviously beating Bama is not out of the realm of possibility. It just has to be a priority.

I wished the certain om people had been drug tested before the games against bama and us... Some of them were flying high.... when they should not have been... js

lamont
07-03-2017, 08:21 AM

Croom beat two 6-6 Bama teams- so no, their talent gap wasnt as big as it is now. Croom had more talent than people realize- he just couldnt coach it

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Ole Miss will always be our rival and beating them should always be priority number one. They tried to downplay us as a rival and then that in part allowed us to pass them. We should learn from their mistakes not imitate them.

Reason2succeed
07-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Croom beat two 6-6 Bama teams- so no, their talent gap wasnt as big as it is now. Croom had more talent than people realize- he just couldnt coach it

I disagree. Alabama didn't have the talent they have now but we were no where close to where we are now either.

Croom had no business being a CFB coach but he did identify what it would take to win the West. I'm not saying that we should ignore OM but after the sanctions come down we need to keep beating them but our focus should be on taking out Bama and LSU and winning the division.

Winning the Egg Bowl and making a bowl game are not going to cut it for the next few years because beating OM will be a given.

lamont
07-03-2017, 09:44 AM
I disagree. Alabama didn't have the talent they have now but we were no where close to where we are now either.

Croom had no business being a CFB coach but he did identify what it would take to win the West. I'm not saying that we should ignore OM but after the sanctions come down we need to keep beating them but our focus should be on taking out Bama and LSU and winning the division.

Winning the Egg Bowl and making a bowl game are not going to cut it for the next few years because beating OM will be a given.

Mullen inherited:

Anthony Dixon
Jamar Chaney
Derrick Sherrod
KJ Wright
Charles Mitchell
Fletcher Cox
Josh Boyd
Gabe Jackson

and those are just the draft picks. We have yet to have an OL as good as the ones from 2009 and 2010. Could you imagine Omar Conner in a real offense? Croom had some players and should have won more games- thats a fact.

Bama on the other hand- had 2 7th round draft picks in 2007 and NOBODY drafted in 2008. So again I say- Bama wasnt much more talented than us under Croom. Its not hard to see why we were able to pull off an upset