PDA

View Full Version : Tommy John Update

Todd4State
07-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Parker Ford was hitting 94-96 in his summer league game today.

This is good among rumors that Ethan Small has been throwing in the low 90's as well and isn't even quite a year out from surgery.

If those two step up and our three freshmen from last year develop- Self, Ashcraft, and McQuary- our staff should be pretty salty next year.

msstate7
07-02-2017, 07:39 PM
That's quite a jump for Ford. Vs Troy he was 85-87

The Federalist Engineer
07-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Great news, love to hear this for Parker Ford. Also for Small, I am friends with a relative of his.

Todd4State
07-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Yes indeed. A lot of times with these Tommy John guys it takes them some time to regain their command and get their velocity up once past the one year mark.

Intramural All-American
07-02-2017, 09:34 PM
I highly doubt Ford was hitting that. He was at 82 against LSU. Don't expect him back.

Randolph Dupree
07-02-2017, 09:49 PM
I highly doubt Ford was hitting that. He was at 82 against LSU. Don't expect him back.

Ford hit 90+ On 10 of 23 pitches, and 5 of those were clocked at 89. Pitched one inning K'd 3. Gave up one walk. Look for Small to show up mid to late next season throwing smoke as well.

Todd4State
07-02-2017, 10:05 PM

And I highly doubt the person who put it out on twitter had reason to lie about it.

Todd4State
07-02-2017, 10:21 PM
And for a Cape Cod League update- Mangum (.383), Stovall (.316), and.....LA (.310) are all hitting over .300 there right now. Billingsley has made one start and has an ERA of 1.80. Trysten Barlow has struggled and has an ERA of 14+.

And then one of our JUCO guys who plays on the Elmira Pioneers which is the same team as Ford and Noah Hughes in the Perfect Game League, Marshall Gilbert, has been hot lately. Gilbert is a catcher.

Elijah MacNamee is hitting .255 with a home run in Alaska.

Bothrops
07-02-2017, 10:56 PM

Huh..

bulldogcountry1
07-03-2017, 08:25 AM
I think it's safe to say that any of the TJ guys who don't throw off a mound this summer won't help us next season. Is there anyone besides Ford, Hughes, and Small who fit into that category.

What about the other guys? Are any of them on scholarship and will have to count against our 35-man roster next season?

lamont
07-03-2017, 08:30 AM
I think it's safe to say that any of the TJ guys who don't throw off a mound this summer won't help us next season. Is there anyone besides Ford, Hughes, and Small who fit into that category.

What about the other guys? Are any of them on scholarship and will have to count against our 35-man roster next season?

Totally disagree. It's 7 1/2 months until the 1st pitch of the season. Thats a helluva alot of time to comeback and be ready to pitch by March

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 08:36 AM

Don't count out Keegan James and Kale Breaux. They are not at a point in their recovery where they would be reasonably expected to contribute at this point but certainly could with time and recovery.

louisvilledawg
07-03-2017, 08:37 AM

This is good among rumors that Ethan Small has been throwing in the low 90's as well and isn't even quite a year out from surgery.

If those two step up and our three freshmen from last year develop- Self, Ashcraft, and McQuary- our staff should be pretty salty next year.

Speaking of McQuary, what was his deal with so many BBs this past season? Was it mechanical? Psychological? That has to be his biggest improvement next season- walking 1 per inning just won't cut it.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Speaking of McQuary, what was his deal with so many BBs this past season? Was it mechanical? Psychological? That has to be his biggest improvement next season- walking 1 per inning just won't cut it.

I think it was just freshman readiness. In a normal year, he would have pitched 5-to-15 innings and mostly versus midweek oppponents.

We should be very encouraged that people only hit 203 against him. That is a Pilkington/Jonathan Holder type number.

msstate7
07-03-2017, 09:55 AM
I think it was just freshman readiness. In a normal year, he would have pitched 5-to-15 innings and mostly versus midweek oppponents.

We should be very encouraged that people only hit 203 against him. That is a Pilkington/Jonathan Holder type number.

Why swing? He'll just walk you... 55.1 ip 50 bb 40 k

That's perhaps the worst bb rate I've ever seen with 50 ip

MetEdDawg
07-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Walks are mental. You don't get on to our roster, even as a project, without being able to pitch well. Even with mechanical issues, you don't issue almost a walk an inning. And his stuff was obviously good enough to challenge good hitters. Low BA against for a freshman, but he gave up a ton of runs because of walks. You only need one hit out of five if you walk a guy an inning to get eaten up.

He's got to work on his mentality in the offseason. I don't know what the message was to him preseason, but he didn't look like a guy that was ready to pitch a lot this year or have the big time pressure on him, probably because he wasn't expected to. I never got the feeling he was able to turn that into a me against the world mentality and shove it. Did well enough this year though to give us a chance in a few ball games, and he's got some good stuff, but he's got to work on his mental approach between now and February.

Intramural All-American
07-03-2017, 10:06 AM
And I highly doubt the person who put it out on twitter had reason to lie about it.

Call me pessimistic and a doubter, but I have a hard time believing that a guy having a hard time touching 85 3 weeks ago, is now pumping mid 90s. He wasn't close to 90 all year. Hopefully a miracle occurred though.

Tbonewannabe
07-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Call me pessimistic and a doubter, but I have a hard time believing that a guy having a hard time touching 85 3 weeks ago, is now pumping mid 90s. He wasn't close to 90 all year. Hopefully a miracle occurred though.

Wes Johnson called and gave him a pep talk.

MetEdDawg
07-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Wes Johnson called and gave him a pep talk.

Or he overnighted him a pack of heavy balls...

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Don't count out Keegan James and Kale Breaux. They are not at a point in their recovery where they would be reasonably expected to contribute at this point but certainly could with time and recovery.

It's not common, but Drew Rasmussen did just this for Oregon State - all the way to the CWS and No. 1 draft pick

bulldogcountry1
07-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Wasn't Breaux an in-season surgery guy? Seems like a long shot at best for 2018.

By throw off a mound, I mean bullpen session or anything. I can't see anyone showing up in the fall only able to soft toss being able to contribute anything more than what Ford gave us this season. Didn't Hughes have his surgery during the 2016 season.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2017, 02:42 PM

There is a twitter buzz about Ford's recovery and heat. He got congratulated by Macnamee ... are you saying you don't take everything on the internet as factual?

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 02:43 PM

He was learning how to throw a two seam fastball and the command wasn't always there.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Wasn't Breaux an in-season surgery guy? Seems like a long shot at best for 2018.

By throw off a mound, I mean bullpen session or anything. I can't see anyone showing up in the fall only able to soft toss being able to contribute anything more than what Ford gave us this season. Didn't Hughes have his surgery during the 2016 season.

Breaux was in season but I think he will be ready by 2019. I'm expecting Hughes, Ford and Small to be back at a minimum next year.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Not TJ related but our TJs called out Bryce Hutchinson for his Kardashian/ole Miss football/MTV/ESPN drama on his signing day with the mets.

Honestly, it did seem below the dignity of a baseball player. Seems he would have been a misfit, good riddance.

Noxdog
07-03-2017, 03:01 PM
I've seen where he is not coming back or at least that's what I thought I read on 247.

msstate7
07-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Not TJ related but our TJs called out Bryce Hutchinson for his Kardashian/ole Miss football/MTV/ESPN drama on his signing day with the mets.

Honestly, it did seem below the dignity of a baseball player. Seems he would have been a misfit, good riddance.

What'd he do?

Randolph Dupree
07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
https://s23.postimg.org/pkkr77b7v/IMG_2416.jpg

There. That's the gun reading. It happened.

basedog
07-03-2017, 03:15 PM
He was learning how to throw a two seam fastball and the command wasn't always there.

That is weird to me, a 2 seam? How I learned to throw!

lamont
07-03-2017, 03:21 PM
McQuery considers himself an infielder more than a pitcher. Our staff is working hard to get him to buy into pitching as his ticket to a career- he's not all-in yet and wants to play full-time

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:23 PM
I've seen where he is not coming back or at least that's what I thought I read on 247.

The only Tommy John player that is not coming back so far is Jared Padgett. You could maybe count Andrew Mahoney as a Tommy John guy and Hayden Marze was injured and is not coming back.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:25 PM

That was pretty awesome on Small's part. If you are picked in the 11th round of the MLB draft you probably shouldn't act like Lebron James with an announcement.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:26 PM
https://s23.postimg.org/pkkr77b7v/IMG_2416.jpg

There. That's the gun reading. It happened.

That settles that.

Todd4State
07-03-2017, 03:30 PM
That is weird to me, a 2 seam? How I learned to throw!

I understand. I guess he threw a four seam in high school plus he played in the field a good bit as well and as RP said playing in the field is what he wants to do so I'm not sure how much he focused on pitching in high school compared to hitting.

Cowboydawg
07-03-2017, 04:55 PM
I understand. I guess he threw a four seam in high school plus he played in the field a good bit as well and as RP said playing in the field is what he wants to do so I'm not sure how much he focused on pitching in high school compared to hitting.

From what I understand, I'm not sure how much he focused on baseball period. All the talent, just needs to mature and focus on baseball.

msstate7
07-03-2017, 05:14 PM
That settles that.

Maybe. Suntrust gun had Sean Newcomb and Sam freeman throwing over 100 the night I went to see the braves.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2017, 05:32 PM
From what I understand, I'm not sure how much he focused on baseball period. All the talent, just needs to mature and focus on baseball.

Kid could be a sleeping giant that is only now focusing on his best athletic gift

CadaverDawg
07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Parker Ford will 100% be back if he is low to mid 90's. And there are people from the team, including Parker himself, discussing it on twitter...including radar gun pics showing 93, 94, & 96. It's not BS.

Dawg61
07-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Perhaps LSU/ESPN got em some slow ass guns when we pitching

Noxdog
07-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Went back and re read 247. RF is still saying that Ford is not expected to be back on the team. Again, the key word is expected.

The only Tommy John player that is not coming back so far is Jared Padgett. You could maybe count Andrew Mahoney as a Tommy John guy and Hayden Marze was injured and is not coming back.

MarketingBully
07-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Went back and re read 247. RF is still saying that Ford is not expected to be back on the team. Again, the key word is expected.

He's not always right and next year is a long way away.

CadaverDawg
07-04-2017, 11:50 AM

I have a pretty solid source telling me that as long as his velo is improving like it appears to be, he will be back. I think the concern was that he'd never regain that mid 90's pop after TJ....but now that he seems to be regaining it, I expect him back. Not only do I think he will be back, but with the way he gained command & confidence late in the year, I think he could be a sleeper for playing a big role this upcoming season.

We live in such a "what have you done for me lately" World nowadays...people forget that Ford had TJ less than 2 years ago. I really hope we allow some of these big time arms to fully recover before making decisions on whether they stay or go. We have some really big time arms that went down with TJ. MLB-type arms.

ShotgunDawg
07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
I have a pretty solid source telling me that as long as his velo is improving like it appears to be, he will be back. I think the concern was that he'd never regain that mid 90's pop after TJ....but now that he seems to be regaining it, I expect him back. Not only do I think he will be back, but with the way he gained command & confidence late in the year, I think he could be a sleeper for playing a big role this upcoming season.

We live in such a "what have you done for me lately" World nowadays...people forget that Ford had TJ less than 2 years ago. I really hope we allow some of these big time arms to fully recover before making decisions on whether they stay or go. We have some really big time arms that went down with TJ.

Agree

With what our pitching staff was this year, you at least have to get Ford back for the Fall & see if he can help in the Spring. You can't run off a 96 mph arm in the Summer. May as well see him in the Fall & cut bait at Christmas, if you don't think he can help the team.

I seen it dawg
07-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I don't think some quite fully understand what we have as our head baseball coach...

Noxdog
07-04-2017, 02:59 PM
But the only reason I brought it up is so many on this board melt hard on the least little bit of bad news. I can just see everyone getting their hopes up and if, if, if he does not come back there will be a bitch fest.

Only reason I find it credible is that RF just completed a 2 part interview with AC. I'm guessing that's where his info comes from.

As I earlier posted above the key word here is EXPECTED.

BTW, I trust your sources as well as Home and Steakonastick when it comes to Baseball so I'm leaning toward what your are hearing. I just wanted to point out my rational for what I posted.

Cheers and Happy 4TH.

We live in such a "what have you done for me lately" World nowadays...people forget that Ford had TJ less than 2 years ago. I really hope we allow some of these big time arms to fully recover before making decisions on whether they stay or go. We have some really big time arms that went down with TJ. MLB-type arms.

Todd4State
07-04-2017, 03:28 PM
But the only reason I brought it up is so many on this board melt hard on the least little bit of bad news. I can just see everyone getting their hopes up and if, if, if he does not come back there will be a bitch fest.

Only reason I find it credible is that RF just completed a 2 part interview with AC. I'm guessing that's where his info comes from.

As I earlier posted above the key word here is EXPECTED.

BTW, I trust your sources as well as Home and Steakonastick when it comes to Baseball so I'm leaning toward what your are hearing. I just wanted to point out my rational for what I posted.

Cheers and Happy 4TH.

That's also an assumption. It's a logical assumption to think that- but it's also not necessarily the case. Also things can change as well. How many times did we hear in the past that Paul Young wasn't going to be back and he came back just about every time until he signed with the Royals last year?

Noxdog
07-04-2017, 03:43 PM
That's also an assumption. It's a logical assumption to think that- but it's also not necessarily the case. Also things can change as well. How many times did we hear in the past that Paul Young wasn't going to be back and he came back just about every time until he signed with the Royals last year?

Of course it is Todd. I don't know how to be any clearer about what I posted. I hope Ford comes back but there is conflicting info out there.

Not aimed at you, but this board can be so damned ..... "hard" some times. If it's not all roses, you get questioned.

msstate7
07-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Not aimed at you, but this board can be so damned ..... "hard" some times. If it's not all roses, you get questioned.

I'm mr negative... get off my turf

Haha

Noxdog
07-04-2017, 03:51 PM
I think that's get OFF MY LAWN, right?

Steakonastick
07-04-2017, 03:52 PM
this summer is more vital for ford then any other player. If he keeps improving I except he will get a shot in the fall for a roster spot. If he struggles he will get told to look elsewhere. It's a coin flip right now.

Noxdog
07-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Thank you for clarification. I hope for his and ours sake, he keeps improving.

Todd4State
07-04-2017, 04:43 PM
this summer is more vital for ford then any other player. If he keeps improving I except he will get a shot in the fall for a roster spot. If he struggles he will get told to look elsewhere. It's a coin flip right now.

I think it's vital for LA too. It's good to see that both are stepping up.

Todd4State
07-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Of course it is Todd. I don't know how to be any clearer about what I posted. I hope Ford comes back but there is conflicting info out there.

I don't intend for this to be personal and Robbie is a good reporter. But occasionally I do question things from the media about 10% of the time. This does seem to be one of those times. This spring with Ryan Rigby not coming back during the season was another example. It was first reported that he was done around the time of the Ole Miss series. I and others on here had heard that there was a chance he was going to come back- and indeed he did throw some bullpens around the time of the Georgia series. Unfortunately he wasn't able to come back so the media can paint it as "we were right". But it's not that black and white-more than likely the sources thought Rigby was done at first and the reporters reported that but then he healed a little more quickly than originally anticipated but was unfortunately unable to come back.

Also you have to remember that Cann has a pro background and they "use" the media in different ways sometimes. If the source is Cann he may sometimes let things out to motivate certain players. They do not tell the media everything that goes on in MLB because if they did it would be a complete shit show- which is what the media loves. They want to talk about the fights in the clubhouse and who doesn't like who. An example that I can think of a team using the media was when the Cardinals traded Colby Rasmus who was at one time a top prospect in MLB. The team let out that his Dad was complaining about the hitting coach and telling Colby to not do what the hitting coach was telling him to do and it pissed LaRussa off. About three weeks later his ass was in Toronto. Had that info not been rumored through the media the trade would have been somewhat unpopular at the time.

And another thing about the media- in MLB the players and coaches HATE the media. Which is another reason why they don't tell them everything. They see them as all being out to cause problems so that they can end up like Jeff Pearlman after his John Rocker story.

I don't get the impression that this board has to be all roses though.

Randolph Dupree
07-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Allow me to clarify something for the group. Ford and LA are not in any danger of losing their roster spots. Doesn't matter if one only throws 85 and the other only hits .200. Both will be on the team. Period. Only reason they aren't is if they decide not to be or if they pull a Cyr/Plumlee/Bragg. No coach is going to cut either and no coach is going to tell either of them to look elsewhere. Period. No chance. Nada. I know that one of them set a goal for summer ball and said "...if I can't do ___ then I'm just concentrating on school" but that was purely a personal decision.

Noxdog
07-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks Randolph. For the last time I hope this is the case. I want it to be. I don't bash our players. I was just passing along what I read...............

Mama told me there would be days like this.

Todd, I appreciate your info and intel like so many here, ahh forget it.

Cheers To the USA!!! God Bless America.

HSVDawg
07-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Allow me to clarify something for the group. Ford and LA are not in any danger of losing their roster spots. Doesn't matter if one only throws 85 and the other only hits .200. Both will be on the team. Period. Only reason they aren't is if they decide not to be or if they pull a Cyr/Plumlee/Bragg. No coach is going to cut either and no coach is going to tell either of them to look elsewhere. Period. No chance. Nada. I know that one of them set a goal for summer ball and said "...if I can't do ___ then I'm just concentrating on school" but that was purely a personal decision.

Yeah, about time somebody came here with some sense. We have too many open roster spots to send healthy guys packing if they are able to contribute something. Especially experienced guys like LA. That doesn't mean those guys won't make their own decisions, but we have nothing to gain from sending 3rd year players packing. Chances are good they will roll the dice with the 2018 draft if they don't hit whatever their personal goals are next season, so if they aren't contributing the problem is going to work itself out on its own without affecting the 2019 roster one bit. There is nobody that needs either one of Ford / LA's spots right now or for next year.

Relardo Sidney
07-04-2017, 06:08 PM
I don't think some quite fully understand what we have as our head baseball coach...

Can he cook ribs? I love ribs

The Federalist Engineer
07-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Potentially more great pitching news:

I saw on "MS State Baseball Fan's" Facebook page that John Mason one of our power arm JUCO recruits did not pitch much in 2017....due to "hand blisters"...Not an elbow, not a shoulder, not excessive partying, not for discipline ...just some good old blisters.

Seems like great news that Mason is not damaged goods and arrives very well rested.

msstate7
07-04-2017, 08:20 PM
I think it's vital for LA too. It's good to see that both are stepping up.

Have you got LA's up to date stats? Where can I keep up?

Todd4State
07-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Have you got LA's up to date stats? Where can I keep up?

capecodbaseball.org has stats for all of our players in that league. LA plays for the Cotuit Kettleers. Jacob Billingsley plays for the Harwich Mariners and the rest for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. Each of those teams has their own web site as well and most have stats on their individual sites as well.

msstate7
07-04-2017, 09:09 PM
capecodbaseball.org has stats for all of our players in that league. LA plays for the Cotuit Kettleers. Jacob Billingsley plays for the Harwich Mariners and the rest for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. Each of those teams has their own web site as well and most have stats on their individual sites as well.

Thanks

Intramural All-American
07-04-2017, 10:44 PM

I'm sorry, but that is just incorrect. I'll just leave it at that. If it were all about potential and healthy bodies, Blaylock would still be on the team, and Padgett would have been here until at least Christmas to see what he could do in Summer and Fall ball.

CadaverDawg
07-04-2017, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry, but that is just incorrect. I'll just leave it at that. If it were all about potential and healthy bodies, Blaylock would still be on the team, and Padgett would have been here until at least Christmas to see what he could do in Summer and Fall ball.

Yea, there's def some things incorrect about Randolph's post, but some of it is accurate. I just didn't feel like arguing. Not everyone is/was as safe as he made it out to be. I just hope those borderline guys make the steps necessary to stay on and show out in '18 and beyond.

HSVDawg
07-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Yea, there's def some things incorrect about Randolph's post, but some of it is accurate. I just didn't feel like arguing. Not everyone is/was as safe as he made it out to be. I just hope those borderline guys make the steps necessary to stay on and show out in '18 and beyond.

I think the overall point is we aren't gonna be running off any of the guys that actually made the Cape Cod league when we have the shit ton of open spots that we have right now (assuming the departures of Bragg, Marze, etc. are not just rumors). We're especially not doing that before the fall. That would be beyond stupid.