PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Bryant the most freakish athlete in the SEC according to NFL.com

Reason2succeed
07-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Commence your own freak outs now. "He didn't tackle last year...yada, yada, yada". Mullen is doing a great job in finding freak athletes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/nfl-com-says-5-college-footballs-biggest-freaks-play-sec-west/amp/

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000817998/17-for-17-college-footballs-most-freakish-athletes

I could make a case that Brandon Bryant isn't the most freakish athlete on our team. I could go with Jeffrey Simmons or Montez Sweat and you would be hard pressed to argue with me. We have some talent on our team. Is it enough at all the right positions? We will find out.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Hope he hits like a freak this year too aka Nickoe Whitley

PassInterference
07-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Heard he had some personal struggles last year. Hope he's better and gets his game back. He's got the tools.

sandwolf
07-02-2017, 12:29 AM
I don't think there has ever been any question that Bryant is a hell of an athlete.......the problem is that his athleticism has yet to translate to the football field. I really hope that he puts it all together this year and turns into an all conference player, but I will believe it when I see it. I just really don't buy the story line about personal struggles.....personal struggles don't cause you to take piss poor angles, give up on plays where you could have made the tackle (especially if you have the blazing fast speed that he is reported to have), etc.

I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but any hopes I have about seeing quality safety play are pinned to Mark McLaurin, Brian Cole, and Jonathan Abram.

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 07:40 AM
I don't think there has ever been any question that Bryant is a hell of an athlete.......the problem is that his athleticism has yet to translate to the football field. I really hope that he puts it all together this year and turns into an all conference player, but I will believe it when I see it. I just really don't buy the story line about personal struggles.....personal struggles don't cause you to take piss poor angles, give up on plays where you could have made the tackle (especially if you have the blazing fast speed that he is reported to have), etc.

I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but any hopes I have about seeing quality safety play are pinned to Mark McLaurin, Brian Cole, and Jonathan Abram.

Well put and I agree.

Show me

WSOPdawg
07-02-2017, 08:30 AM

I'm right there with ya, sandwolf. Bryant lost me last year (too much loafing and giving up on too many plays).

For a freakish athlete, the tag line with Willie Mays Hayes from Major League pops into my head -- when his coach says "you can run like Hayes but you hit like shit." Bryant's got a big hole to dig himself out of for me to be happy seeing him in the starting 11.

Dawgfan77
07-02-2017, 08:56 AM
I'm gonna guess none of you all lost a parent while in college. Hard to put into words what it's like to lose a parent let alone doing it while your 20. Say what you will about his angles and such but don't think that the loss of his dad didn't play into it.

Also, changing to coaching a bit our safety coach from last year was not good for Bryant either

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 09:00 AM
I'm gonna guess none of you all lost a parent while in college. Hard to put into words what it's like to lose a parent let alone doing it while your 20. Say what you will about his angles and such but don't think that the loss of his dad didn't play into it.

Also, changing to coaching a bit our safety coach from last year was not good for Bryant either

We obviously all hope your right, & hope that he turns things around this year.

In what is still be biggest question, if things were so bad for him last year, why did our coaches continue to throw him out there?

Dawgfan77
07-02-2017, 09:03 AM
We obviously all hope your right, & hope that he turns things around this year.

In what is still be biggest question, if things were so bad for him last year, why did our coaches continue to throw him out there?
His play got less and less as the year went on. Keep in mind he was and is one one out better pure athletes. Coman and McLaurin played a lot as well

Homedawg
07-02-2017, 09:46 AM

You won't see cole this year. He is going to have to redshirt.

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Keep in mind he was and is one one out better pure athletes.

My bad, I thought they were playing football, not competing in the Olympics

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Brandon will be an All SEC player this year.

Dawgfan77
07-02-2017, 09:55 AM
My bad, I thought they were playing football, not competing in the Olympics
Your right I mean who the hell puts the best athletes on the field.....

sandwolf
07-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Brandon will be an All SEC player this year.I hope you're right.

Bodaski
07-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Jonathan Abrams has also been a huge positive in Brandon's turn-around. He see's how he plays and he wants to be the "alpha dog" on defense. These 2 guys may be the best safeties in college football. We are loaded at safety. Either one could also play a hybrid safety/linebacker position. We've got some serious talent on defense and its just a matter of how long they take to mesh.

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm just tired of hearing about Brandon's turnaround.

You don't get to talk about your turnaround until you do it on the field. I've read a half dozen times about how Brandon has found his mojo, got his juice back, etc & frankly it hasn't translated to the field.

I want him to succeed very badly. He is a dawg & I support all dawgs, except Stingray, but, as for his "football ability" & "turnaround", I'm withholding getting on that bandwagon until he shows me.

Dawgology
07-02-2017, 10:31 AM
He lost a coach and a father on one year. The article I read about him said he had lost his desire to play football when his father passed. Plus he had to play for Sirmon. Probably as confused as the rest of the D last year. I read where Grantham sat down and talked with him when he came on. If Bryant has got his drive back I expect him to surprise everyone this year and make his Dad proud.

Ari Gold
07-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Ron English is a HUGE help not only for BB but for the entire secondary and defesne

Maroons
07-02-2017, 11:10 AM

You don't get to talk about your turnaround until you do it on the field. I've read a half dozen times about how Brandon has found his mojo, got his juice back, etc & frankly it hasn't translated to the field.

Were you at practice this spring or do you know the future? If not, you can't make the statement above because you don't know whether it has or hasn't.

Maroons
07-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Think about what you typed.

A positive story about an athlete who plays a sport you love, at a school you love, is imposing on you somehow? Have some perspective man.

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Were you at practice this spring or do you know the future? If not, you can't make the statement above because you don't know whether it has or hasn't.

No, I was not at Spring practice & I'm kind of a "show me" type guy.

Am I supposed to believe he's turned it around off of hearsay?

I can make whatever statement I want to, because until he shows it in a game, he hasn't officially turned anything around.

West Tn Dawg
07-02-2017, 11:51 AM
He lost a coach and a father on one year. The article I read about him said he had lost his desire to play football when his father passed. Plus he had to play for Sirmon. Probably as confused as the rest of the D last year. I read where Grantham sat down and talked with him when he came on. If Bryant has got his drive back I expect him to surprise everyone this year and make his Dad proud.

Maybe CDM could get Dak to come talk to him. Dak lost his mother and turned it into drive instead of losing interest.

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Think about what you typed.

A positive story about an athlete who plays a sport you love, at a school you love, is imposing on you somehow? Have some perspective man.

What's the positive story?

When he clogs on the hole on 4 & 1 against LSU or makes a game saving tackle or int, then it will be an unbelievable story & I'll love to read that story. But until then, it's just hope.

Hope is cool, it brings people together & makes you feel good, but it isn't a story worth telling yet.

raymond21
07-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Heard he had some personal struggles last year. Hope he's better and gets his game back. He's got the tools.
It's called lack of coaching

TUSK
07-02-2017, 12:22 PM
He kinda reminds me of the guy listed right by him....

Tony Brown... all the talent in the world, but circumstances just haven't aligned to get solid, regular production....

PassInterference
07-02-2017, 01:11 PM
No, I was not at Spring practice & I'm kind of a "show me" type guy.

Am I supposed to believe he's turned it around off of hearsay?

I can make whatever statement I want to, because until he shows it in a game, he hasn't officially turned anything around.

Agreed. I heard Peter Simon was good. I heard our current staff is good.

I don't want to hear anymore arguments for why or how our staff and players have gotten better. I want to see some ass being kicked on the football field.

Jarius
07-02-2017, 01:21 PM
It's called lack of coaching

Blaming Brandon Bryant playing like a scared 13 year old girl on coaching is just wrong. Having him in the game after he continually played like a scared 13 year old little girl is acceptable. If he is ever going to be an SEC player he better dig down and find some backbone. He sure as shit didn't have one last year. It was sickening to watch him quit during games and even more sickening to watch our coaches not put anyone else in the game, which enabled him to continue to play without a backbone.

lamont
07-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Well put and I agree.

Show me

His position coach said he had a great Spring- needs to work more in the film room. But 100% NFL body

Reason2succeed
07-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Maybe we should be thanking Bryant for helping to end the Peter Sirmon experiment expeditiously. Had he given his all we might have been staring at a second year of Sirmon right now.

Bothrops
07-02-2017, 05:52 PM
There was no meaningful defensive coaching going on last year. Brandon Bryant was an elite level talent in hs, but only few knew it, luckily, it was us.

Maroon Wizardry
07-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Brandon Bryant is gonna make all his doubters look like a bunch of shitbirds... Don't be a shitbird.

BuckyIsAB****
07-02-2017, 06:32 PM
He looked good year before last, I expect him to be at least that good. Probably better. Y'all piling on Brandon for last year but the whole defense was shit. Starting with the HC meddling with his shitty hire of a first time DC. Grantham is gonna have us raising hell on D

RiverCityDawg
07-02-2017, 06:57 PM
You won't see cole this year. He is going to have to redshirt.

Wait, what? You put this out there this morning and no one has asked about it... Are you saying because of grades?

HSVDawg
07-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Its partly on Bryant and partly on our entire defensive coaching staff last year for continuing to put him out there. You can also color me skeptical about how losing his dad may have affected his effort, but that is not for me to judge. I know he sucked, and our coaches had to know he sucked, and yet they kept trotting him out there. To me, thats on them. Bad effort still being rewarded is a horrible thing for any football program, regardless of the reason for the bad effort.

lamont
07-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Wait, what? You put this out there this morning and no one has asked about it... Are you saying because of grades?

Cole is gonna RS

BB and Mac will start as Safety- with Abrams being the swing guy that will play both.

Percho
07-02-2017, 10:38 PM
What's the positive story?

When he clogs on the hole on 4 & 1 against LSU or makes a game saving tackle or int, then it will be an unbelievable story & I'll love to read that story. But until then, it's just hope.

Hope is cool, it brings people together & makes you feel good, but it isn't a story worth telling yet.

Remember, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Stephen King
Author

msbulldog
07-03-2017, 05:57 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I called for benching BB after the 2nd time I saw him give-up on a play. I'll give everybody 1 play. I was adamant about benching him, because you give 100% and finish every play and too many times BB didn't.
Now at the time I did not know about his fathers death, but whatever the reason, if you don't give 100% you sit. This because your effort affects 21 other players, this is about the team and no 1 player is greater than the team.
Now, I am willing to give BB another chance this season, I think Grantham will have a fairly short leash. I need to see 110%