PDA

View Full Version : JT Ginn and Jeremiah Jackson

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Have been showing out at the Tournament of Stars which is a showcase to select the Team USA U18 team.

Ginn has been hitting 97 and Jackson had a home run today. Jackson was selected to the Under Armour All-American Game recently as well.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/239880680/top-performers-from-the-tournament-of-stars/?topicId=27118122

Cole Winn was another MSU commit that was in this tournament as well.

Cann is going to have his work cut out to get some of these guys to Starkville. Basiel Williams, and Carter Stewart- draft risk- could also make the UA AAG as well.

Luke Hancock and Hayden Jones are two catchers who have been performing well. And Sam Knowlton has been topping out at 94 in some tournaments as well. Bryce Bush is an OF and possible third baseman who has shown some power too.

This class will be half Cohen and half Cann. Next year will be almost all Cann. We may and probably will see some commits after the Fourth of July because that's the day that coaches can "officially" offer scholarships to players.

confucius say
07-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Is Ginn a better hitter or pitcher? I saw today where he was 95-97 with sink, 85-87 changeup, and mid eighties slider. Gotta be pitching right?

MarketingBully
07-01-2017, 10:01 PM
The more these players show out at these tournaments the less likely they are a Bulldog. The MLB system sucks as far as college baseball is concerned. Between them and the NCAA scholarship limits, it's amazing the product of college baseball is as good as it is.

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Is Ginn a better hitter or pitcher? I saw today where he was 95-97 with sink, 85-87 changeup, and mid eighties slider. Gotta be pitching right?

He may be better at pitching but I certainly think he is SEC caliber as a hitter too.

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 10:57 PM
The more these players show out at these tournaments the less likely they are a Bulldog. The MLB system sucks as far as college baseball is concerned. Between them and the NCAA scholarship limits, it's amazing the product of college baseball is as good as it is.

I think it's starting to depend more and more on how much they want to go to school. A few years ago we were able to land Kale Breaux and Elih Marrero off of the Team USA U18 team and Konnor Pilkington also tried out and didn't make it but made it to school.

Jordan Anderson is coming to MSU and he played in the UA AAG as did Brandon Woodruff years ago.

The MLB system is starting to become:

Rounds 1-2 Elite talent.
Rounds 3-10 mostly college guys and senior signs that teams can try to pool up slot money on.
Rounds 11-15 Tough signs but guys that MLB thinks that they can sign overslot. But if they don't, they don't lose the slot bonus money since it's not top 10 rounds.
Rounds 16-beyond. Go to school or go back to school depending on what your situation is. Unless you are a college senior of course.

We'll see where these guys project in the draft in the coming months.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2017, 01:34 AM

Talked to JT dad everyday this week. JT had 106 mph exit velocity off the tee. Only 3 players there had over 100 exit velo. He was one of them. He's got a lot of pop. He's gonna be a 2 way guy for us and be excellent at both. Think along the lines of the McKay kid from Louisville but jt throws harder.

WSOPdawg
07-02-2017, 08:34 AM
He may be better at pitching but I certainly think he is SEC caliber as a hitter too.

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't MORE Brendan McKay's in college baseball. I'd like to continue to give Denver McQ a chance to develop as a SP but I'd also like to see him take his cuts at the plate and see if he's got the glove on the left side of the infield (cuz he did in HS).

BuckyIsAB****
07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Ginn is the real deal. Trust me

Todd4State
07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't MORE Brendan McKay's in college baseball. I'd like to continue to give Denver McQ a chance to develop as a SP but I'd also like to see him take his cuts at the plate and see if he's got the glove on the left side of the infield (cuz he did in HS).

I think it's really hard to do both. It's probably easier to do it if you are a closer/position player like Stephen Head was for the most part. I could see it working out for a SP if they were the primary DH because then they could focus on their offday routine as a pitcher and focus on hitting without having to worry about playing in the field.

I could see Denver potentially doing both and possibly being a darkhorse candidate at third base for us next year. Getting JP France may make that more of a possibility because if France can lock down a weekend spot it allows us to be more flexible with McQuary.

I actually think Babe Ruth would have been the ideal dual position player in MLB. His best defensive position was pitcher. But they didn't have DH's then or use the bullpen like they do now. I could see him being an elite DH/closer if he played today.

AlSwearengen
07-02-2017, 09:03 PM
I can't see a starting pitcher doing anything other than dh'ing or maybe, maybe 1st base. Playing a position requires too much throwing when they should be having rest days for their arm.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Ginn is the real deal. Trust me

Yes he is!