PDA

View Full Version : Instant replay and robot umpires for baseball...

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Here you go Todd so we don't muddy up the perfectly good WoMainieri gif thread.

Point is I think they know that they get a lot of calls at times and it gives them an advantage. I'm for anything that levels the playing field. LSU is sharing a SEC title in part because of a badly blown call in the LSU and South Carolina game. And then the strike zone in the Oregon State/LSU game was unprofessional and unacceptable at any level of baseball and was a factor in why LSU won that game.

Replay and automated umpires eliminate those types of situations and I believe that umpires want to get the calls right. If they're going to hire Joe Blow off the street they need to give them reasonable assistance and especially if they aren't going to let coaches argue with umpires over calls.

I like imperfection in sport and especially in baseball. I like managers arguing with umpires and picking up bases and tossing them in the outfield. I like pitchers and hitters fighting and bench clearing brawls. I love all of that actually. The more the better. Instant replay has robbed us of this in MLB and I ****ing hate it. Give me more infield fly rule calls halfway in the outfield in the playoffs so we can bitch about it a decade later. It's fantastic entertainment wether you are the team benefiting or not. Football is another sport that needs to do away with instant replay imo. Calvin Johnson caught that ball and so did Dez Bryant. **** what instant replay says. Baseball players stealing 2nd shouldn't get called out when the 2nd baseman barely pushes the foot of the base and there's a microsecond of time when the runner's foot isn't on the bag. Instant replay sucks. Don't even get me started on Robot umpires calling balls and strikes. That is the worst idea ever for baseball Brian Kenny.

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Getting calls correct has little to nothing to do with fighting and bench clearing brawls. That's normally between player and player or maybe more accurately team and team. If you're watching baseball to watch umpires screw up so you can yell at them, call them stupid, whatever...I think you're watching the game for the wrong reason. Baseball entertainment doesn't need to be WWF with drama.

I think it's a quality issue and I'm glad MLB has it. I don't think it's fair to the players to put the time and effort that they do and then have it tarnished because of human error when we have the technology to make it right. Umpires in MLB are for it too.

As long as MLB has umpires that are calling balls and strikes reasonably consistently- I'm fine with MLB not having an automated umpire. They get those calls right more often than not.

The difference between MLB umpires and college umpires is night and day. MLB umpires are professionals that have to go through years of umpiring in the minors and they have to be really good to get to the MLB level in the first place. It's really hard to make it to MLB as an umpire.

College umpires are average Joe's that "just love baseball" who know someone in the SEC office. And they have a "real job" on the side and umpire "as a hobby". It's unreasonable to expect those types of umpires to not affect the quality of the game. All I expect out of an umpire behind home plate is to have the same strike zone for both pitchers. It's a disservice to the hitters, pitcher, and everyone else when an umpire has a strike zone that is wildly inconsistent.

I don't think it's good or "entertaining" for the game when LSU shares the SEC because of a blown call at first base. And ask Chad Holbrook who is now looking for a job after South Carolina how entertaining it is that his job situation was in small part affected because of that. How "entertaining" was the CWS when Oregon State lost because of a blown call on a double and then had their season thrown away because of an incompetent umpire the next game? Bad umpiring caused a less entertaining match-up of Oregon State and Florida.

The SEC has cut out coaches arguing with umpires which has made the calls only worse because now there is zero accountability for making bad calls and coaches just have to take it because they and the school are fined very heavily- EVEN IF THEY ARE RIGHT! If the NCAA is going to take that right away from coaches they owe it to everyone to help the umpires out.

I just don't think it's right in this era of technology to have games and accomplishments tarnished by gross human error. And I've been on both sides of it- odds are the Cardinals win the 1985 World Series had a call not been blown at first base in game six. And that's frustrating because the Cardinals were the best team in baseball that year and I think it took away from the Royals winning it all that year too. Because it's now kind of like...yeah you won but... And I've been on it on the other side with the Pete Kozma infield fly rule which was ridiculously bad. I was happy that the Cardinals won but at the same time I felt like we were very, very lucky.

And if you ask umpires- most of them will tell you that they want to get the calls right and they welcome any technology that will help them get it right. I've heard some of them talk about not being able to sleep at night sometimes because they mess up a call.

dickiedawg
07-01-2017, 01:53 PM
I would very much welcome computerized balls and strikes at the NCAA level if the technology is there.
I question how expensive it would be to implement at some of the smaller schools.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 03:02 PM
If MLB goes to robot umpires I'll quit watching and start watching Japanese baseball instead

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 03:51 PM
I would very much welcome computerized balls and strikes at the NCAA level if the technology is there.
I question how expensive it would be to implement at some of the smaller schools.

I think the technology is there. As far as the cost part, I envision it possibly being something that the power five schools use while the smaller conferences utilize the "old fashioned way". I definitely think it should be used in the NCAA postseason.

dickiedawg
07-01-2017, 06:04 PM
That's... a really interesting position to take.
I don't see balls and strikes as that big of an issue in MLB (though I don't watch a ton of it, admittedly). As Todd said, the umps there are orders of magnitude better than NCAA.

I can see struggling pitchers struggling even more, you know the plate widens a little bit on a 2-0 or 3-0 count. Really in general the importance of command would be amplified.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 06:47 PM
I think the technology is there. As far as the cost part, I envision it possibly being something that the power five schools use while the smaller conferences utilize the "old fashioned way". I definitely think it should be used in the NCAA postseason.

It'll never happen cause there's way too many guys like me that won't let it happen so give it up. Ain't happening. Ever. Let it go. Stop trying to ruin baseball. Tell Will James too. Thanks! Oh and Brian Kenny too, tell that douche to go **** himself while you're at it. Thanks

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 07:44 PM
That's... a really interesting position to take.
I don't see balls and strikes as that big of an issue in MLB (though I don't watch a ton of it, admittedly). As Todd said, the umps there are orders of magnitude better than NCAA.

I can see struggling pitchers struggling even more, you know the plate widens a little bit on a 2-0 or 3-0 count. Really in general the importance of command would be amplified.

It's really hard to pitch when you have no idea where to throw it in the first place. It almost becomes a guessing game for the pitcher and hitter for that matter.

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 07:47 PM
It'll never happen cause there's way too many guys like me that won't let it happen so give it up. Ain't happening. Ever. Let it go. Stop trying to ruin baseball. Tell Will James too. Thanks! Oh and Brian Kenny too, tell that douche to go **** himself while you're at it. Thanks

I think after the CWS and the Oregon State replay debacle and several calls that would have been reviewed in MLB that were borderline or just plain wrong- I think replay will probably be revamped first. They just need to go to the MLB system of replay.

If you're not for automated umpires, you are not for MSU because to me that takes a lot of the "luck" out of it that LSU seems to routinely get. When ESPN is calling for it- there is a good chance of it entering the game.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 07:50 PM
It's really hard to pitch when you have no idea where to throw it in the first place. It almost becomes a guessing game for the pitcher and hitter for that matter.

Imagine trying to play defense in the NBA when the offense is allowed to palm the ball and travel on every single play. Maybe they should have flying robots that call traveling every time it happens and palming the ball. Only fair for the defense.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 07:52 PM
If you're not for automated umpires, you are not for MSU

Don't even George Jetson

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Imagine trying to play defense in the NBA when the offense is allowed to palm the ball and travel on every single play. Maybe they should have flying robots that call traveling every time it happens and palming the ball. Only fair for the defense.

Apples and oranges. ESPN already has K-zone and MLB uses something similar to grade their current umpires. Very simple to implement something like that at a conference with the ESPN backed SEC Network where if a pitcher throws a ball in the K-zone and have a red light flash to indicate to the umpire that it's a strike vs. green if it's a ball.

I'm sure that if this was 1955 you would be against batting helmets too.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Apples and oranges.

No it's only apples and oranges to you because you love baseball and you couldn't give a shit about basketball. If you love baseball so much maybe you shouldn't **** with the way it's been played for the last 130 years. Do you watch Brian Kenny everyday

bulldogcountry1
07-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I always have to be the voice of reason in my family when everyone bitches about the umpires in my niece's HS softball games. I have to remind everyone that it's girls HS softball.

By the same token, we can't expect major league umpires in college baseball. That said, the best college umps should be in Omaha. I'm not sure how they are selected, but they were terrible as a whole.

gravedigger
07-01-2017, 09:02 PM
If MLB goes to robot umpires I'll quit watching and start watching Japanese baseball instead

I simply don't understand your reasoning. Sure, I get the human element having value, but the calls being more objective making the game not worth watching?

Come on.

gravedigger
07-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Imagine trying to play defense in the NBA when the offense is allowed to palm the ball and travel on every single play..

Wait. You are contending this isn't the case right now?

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Wait. You are contending this isn't the case right now?

I think you missed the joke

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 09:15 PM
No it's only apples and oranges to you because you love baseball and you couldn't give a shit about basketball. If you love baseball so much maybe you shouldn't **** with the way it's been played for the last 130 years. Do you watch Brian Kenny everyday

Yes it is because I don't know that basketball has that kind of technology to make the quality of the game better. I don't watch Brian Kenny everyday. But I've been watching people like Tony Walsh, Greg Street, Scott Kennedy and others **** up a lot of baseball games in the SEC for years and I'm tired of it.

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 09:15 PM
I always have to be the voice of reason in my family when everyone bitches about the umpires in my niece's HS softball games. I have to remind everyone that it's girls HS softball.

By the same token, we can't expect major league umpires in college baseball. That said, the best college umps should be in Omaha. I'm not sure how they are selected, but they were terrible as a whole.

It's political.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Yes it is because I don't know that basketball has that kind of technology to make the quality of the game better. I don't watch Brian Kenny everyday. But I've been watching people like Tony Walsh, Greg Street, Scott Kennedy and others **** up a lot of baseball games in the SEC for years and I'm tired of it.

Umpires are part of the game. Especially for pitchers. A good pitcher can build a strike zone with an ump. When you limit or set in stone the hitting zone it'll drastically hinder pitchers and greatly influence hitters. They can simply just attack a 1 foot area. Let's just stop arguing this. You are never changing your mind and I am never either and that's fine.

Todd4State
07-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Umpires are part of the game. Especially for pitchers. A good pitcher can build a strike zone with an ump. When you limit or set in stone the hitting zone it'll drastically hinder pitchers and greatly influence hitters. They can simply just attack a 1 foot area. Let's just stop arguing this. You are never changing your mind and I am never either and that's fine.

The strike zone has been set for over 100 years. Actually a consistent strike zone will help both pitchers and hitters in their development because it will be more like what they will see at the pro level. Which improves them as players and improves the overall product of the game.

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 11:27 PM
The strike zone has been set for over 100 years.

Maybe in the rule book but not on the field. I enjoy umpires having the ability to influence the game because they are part of the game. Again I do not like perfection in sport. Imperfection/controversy is good for sports imo.

gravedigger
07-02-2017, 01:40 AM
I think you missed the joke

I must have because if there were a way to objectify the traveling calls arguing that they shouldn't do that in the name of ienjoying imperfection would be insanity.

Like saying you'd only watch the euro leagues as opposed to the game officiated accurately.

But That's a joke, right?

Dawg61
07-02-2017, 06:30 AM
I must have because if there were a way to objectify the traveling calls arguing that they shouldn't do that in the name of ienjoying imperfection would be insanity.

Like saying you'd only watch the euro leagues as opposed to the game officiated accurately.

But That's a joke, right?

Read the interaction again

NBA doesn't call 1/20th of the travels that happen during a game or palming the ball/hesitation moves. Isiah Thomas travels on every play. Never called. Nobody bitches about wanting the NBA to get every single play called 100% accurately. Why do fans of MLB try to get it called 100% perfectly.

People that analyze baseball a whole lot more than they played baseball seem to be the ones that want to morph baseball into some type of math equation with exactly correct strike zones. People that played baseball more than they analyze baseball are the ones that don't want shit changed like this because we all know it is very bad for the sport. Yet y'all don't listen. You're just hell bent on ****ing up the game we all love so much. It is beyond aggravating "dealing" with analytics people. Imagine being a player or an umpire and having a bunch of dorks trying to totally change how you earn your living. Dorks that barely if at all actually played baseball. (Not implying you Todd so pull those panties back out)

gravedigger
07-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Read the interaction again..... Nobody bitches about wanting the NBA to get every single play called 100% accurately. Why do fans of MLB try to get it called 100% perfectly.
)

1. Many stopped watching pro basketball when they decided to allow that. They have given up. That single decision to allow it has ruined the game. Many who are fans today don't even know it's traveling. But bottom line is nobody is complaining because those who love the actual game of basketball don't watch that junk.

2. You still haven't made any discernible argument why balls and strikes being OBJECTIVE by way of technology is in any way inferior to the random nature in how they are interpreted today.

The point of playing a game is for two teams actions to determine a winner. That outcome is less valid when officials do not call consistently.

You have some romantic attachment to human error.

Quick question: if the inventors of the game could have chosen 100% accuracy or human error, which would they have chosen?

Dawg61
07-02-2017, 03:51 PM
1. Many stopped watching pro basketball when they decided to allow that. They have given up. That single decision to allow it has ruined the game. Many who are fans today don't even know it's traveling. But bottom line is nobody is complaining because those who love the actual game of basketball don't watch that junk.

2. You still haven't made any discernible argument why balls and strikes being OBJECTIVE by way of technology is in any way inferior to the random nature in how they are interpreted today.

The point of playing a game is for two teams actions to determine a winner. That outcome is less valid when officials do not call consistently.

You have some romantic attachment to human error.

Quick question: if the inventors of the game could have chosen 100% accuracy or human error, which would they have chosen?

Start asking pitchers if they want robots calling balls and strikes. I have a feeling you'll find it is heavenly in favor of keeping it like it's always been. Basically if you don't believe me start asking people that actually play baseball. Not people that watch Moneyball every night before bed time. Who gives a shit whatever inventors of the game had in mind in 1870 right after the CIVIL WAR. The damn car hadn't even been invented yet.

Todd4State
07-02-2017, 04:16 PM
You're so completely clueless on this it's hilarious. Pitchers, hitters, umpires, coaches and everyone that isn't you or a LSU fan wants this. And the LSU fans wouldn't be for it of the questionable calls didn't go their way more often than not.

Dawg61
07-02-2017, 04:49 PM
You're so completely clueless on this it's hilarious. Pitchers, hitters, umpires, coaches and everyone that isn't you or a LSU fan wants this. And the LSU fans wouldn't be for it of the questionable calls didn't go their way more often than not.

I question how much baseball you have actually played with the stance you're taking on this. You're coming off as Will James right now.

gravedigger
07-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Start asking pitchers if they want robots calling balls and strikes. I have a feeling you'll find it is heavenly in favor of keeping it like it's always been. Basically if you don't believe me start asking people that actually play baseball. Not people that watch Moneyball every night before bed time. Who gives a shit whatever inventors of the game had in mind in 1870 right after the CIVIL WAR. The damn car hadn't even been invented yet.

And Current NBA players want the extra 4 steps. what a brilliant argument.

Dawg61
07-02-2017, 07:24 PM
And Current NBA players want the extra 4 steps. what a brilliant argument.

NBA isn't suffering cause you and I aren't watching it. What's that mean for your argument?