PDA

View Full Version : We're not JUST QBU guys

Reason2succeed
07-01-2017, 11:41 AM
After getting KT and Jaylen Maiden we realize that Mullen has been become the premier QB developer in the nation. But don't stop there. Look at KJ Wright and Benardrick McKinney. Below is an article about how BMac was the leading tackler on the #1 defense last year. Included is praise by no other than JJ Watt.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/amp/Benardrick-McKinney-developing-into-top-11260181.php

"McKinney became the Texans' leading tackler last season, recording a career-high 129 tackles. He earned the distinction of being the only NFL player to finish with at least 100 tackles and five sacks last season."

Gabe Jackson just got PAID!
Fletcher Cox got PAID!
Darius Slay is going to get PAID!
KJ Wright will get PAID!
Eventually Chris Jones and Preston Smith will get PAID!

Dak is about to get PAAAAIIIIIIIIIDDDDDD!!!!!!

Mullen should be able to recruit a little better at every position due to the fact that our players go to the NFL prepared to perform and
and get massive contracts. I would not be surprised if NFL scouts begin giving State players second looks and a boost on their evaluations.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
07-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Totally agree I was just saying this very thing yesterday to my dad and friends!! Hailstate has got some damn good young players in the League getting paid or about to get paid!! A bunch of superstars and millionaires can't do anything but help show these young kids that MSSTATE is the place to come ball out!! #HAILSTATE

Dawg61
07-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Cool we need one of those "got paid" hallways with every State player on it that has made it in the NFL for Mullen to walk recruits through. Works for Kentucky basketball.

confucius say
07-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Mullen, largely, is not going to recruit better, according to the rankings, than he has. You have nearly a decade sample size.

More importantly, our signees will tell you the recruiting pitch is that you are going to work your butt off and if you are good enough to play you will play. No guarantees. How many 17 year olds you know want to hear that as opposed to being "shown the love?"

louisvilledawg
07-01-2017, 12:29 PM
I thought Slay already got paid? 4 year 48 mill in 2016

fader2103
07-01-2017, 12:31 PM
I think so far our recruit marketing has dropped the ball

1bigdawg
07-01-2017, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=confucius say;769711]Mullen, largely, is not going to recruit better, according to the rankings, than he has. You have nearly a decade sample size. [QUOTE]

Two things may make improved recruiting possible.

1) UNM will not be as much of a factor in-State for the next few years. This could not only lead to better recruiting, but also to more great seasons.

2) More really good seasons and more NFL stars could also help improve recruiting.

Our "hard work" message will probably keep us from being top 5, but we could score a top 10 every now and then.

Joe Schmedlap
07-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Top 20 if we are lucky. I'm fine with that. TCU has been pretty solid if not salty 80+ per cent of the time over the last several years with top 25'ish recruiting classes.

sandwolf
07-01-2017, 02:09 PM
I thought Slay already got paid? 4 year 48 mill in 2016Correct.....with $23.1 million guaranteed. And KJ Wright signed a 4 year $27 million contract with $15.4 million guaranteed so I'd say those guys have gotten paid.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
07-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Correct.....with $23.1 million guaranteed. And KJ Wright signed a 4 year $27 million contract with $15.4 million guaranteed so I'd say those guys have gotten paid.

Yep the next in line are Smith, Jones, and Dak!! From Our State to the Bank!! #hailstate

Perpetual Underachiever
07-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure this would fall into the "Got Paid" category:

Pernell McPhee signed a 5 year, $38,750,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $15,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,750,000. In 2017, McPhee will earn a base salary of $6,950,000, a roster bonus of $200,000 and a workout bonus of $175,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,825,000 and a dead cap value of $1,500,000.

He is also one of the more vocal past players in league, and regularly talks about his love for the Daaawgs

Reason2succeed
07-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Yep the next in line are Smith, Jones, and Dak!! From Our State to the Bank!! #hailstate

From MState to Millions!!!

IMissJack
07-01-2017, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=confucius say;769711]Mullen, largely, is not going to recruit better, according to the rankings, than he has. You have nearly a decade sample size. [QUOTE]

1) UNM will not be as much of a factor in-State for the next few years. This could not only lead to better recruiting, but also to more great seasons.

2) More really good seasons and more NFL stars could also help improve recruiting.

Our "hard work" message will probably keep us from being top 5, but we could score a top 10 every now and then.

Don't forget the "DAK effect"!

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2017, 02:48 PM

No chance we have a top 10 recruiting class.

OM going down will likely only help with one or two players a year.

Why?

Because players that want to get paid will still go to schools that pay. Thus, look for Tennessee and Auburn to become a bigger factor in MS

Mimi's Babies
07-01-2017, 06:10 PM
I think so far our recruit marketing has dropped the ball

One cannot FIGHT with the fools up the road.... paying thousands to the recruits and in some cases Hundreds of thousands (rumored $250,000)... Why would anyone be looking for the bag man at 4:00 am?

THEN.... there is the #1 college football team in the Nation 74 miles due East....

I would like to see better recruiting in certain areas of our team.... for sure... but when one looks at the overall picture.. We don't want nor need the drug heads. I would rather have a clean SA than some of the players that signed at other colleges....

Percho
07-01-2017, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=1bigdawg;769719][QUOTE=confucius say;769711]Mullen, largely, is not going to recruit better, according to the rankings, than he has. You have nearly a decade sample size.

Why?

Because players that want to get paid will still go to schools that pay. Thus, look for Tennessee and Auburn to become a bigger factor in MS

If that happens over let's say a three year period, it should say something to the NCAA. And they should be so advised.

Reason2succeed
07-01-2017, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=1bigdawg;769719][QUOTE=confucius say;769711]Mullen, largely, is not going to recruit better, according to the rankings, than he has. You have nearly a decade sample size.

Why?

It might be a small chance but it's not no chance. Not only could we benefit from a down OM but we might also benefit from a down LSU along with the Dak effect. I would say KT is already proof of this. With Ogre there pissing of black coaches in NOLA there's no guessing what could happen. Pick up a player or two OM would have snatched, plus a player or two that LSU would have gotten, get a player or two from Texas and now you are looking at a top class.

biggun
07-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Win 8 or better yet 9 games this season with a couple of those wins coming over traditional powers like an LSU, Bama, Georgia, etc and you will see our recruiting climb into the top top 20 range with a shot at top 15 depending on our final win total.

Winning & everything that follows a winner trumps everything in recruiting. To borrow a quote from the late great Al Davis, "Just win baby", the rest will take care of itself.

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Win 8 or better yet 9 games this season with a couple of those wins coming over traditional powers like an LSU, Bama, Georgia, etc and you will see our recruiting climb into the top top 20 range with a shot at top 15 depending on our final win total.

Winning & everything that follows a winner trumps everything in recruiting. To borrow a quote from the late great Al Davis, "Just win baby", the rest will take care of itself.

Well, our recruiting actually went down after 2014, so I'm not sure what it takes to actually change your recruiting profile.

Reason2succeed
07-02-2017, 12:59 AM
Well, our recruiting actually went down after 2014, so I'm not sure what it takes to actually change your recruiting profile.

We also lost our DC that year and (I think) our best recruiter in Melvin Smith. He was halfway out of the door before the season was over with. If you're going to tell the story tell the whole story.

Hopefully paying Grantham north of $1M will keep him in place even if we win big. I our coaching staff will always be looking for bigger opportunities but now that we are paying with the big boys we might be able to retain the top dogs long enough to gain traction in recruiting.

WSOPdawg
07-02-2017, 08:39 AM
We also lost our DC that year and (I think) our best recruiter in Melvin Smith. He was halfway out of the door before the season was over with. If you're going to tell the story tell the whole story.

Hopefully paying Grantham north of $1M will keep him in place even if we win big. I our coaching staff will always be looking for bigger opportunities but now that we are paying with the big boys we might be able to retain the top dogs long enough to gain traction in recruiting.

The SEC-network revenue is what should allow us to pay for staff experience and continuity -- the days of NOT being able to pay for top coaches should be a thing of the past now that we're several years into the network and realize we've got extra $ to spend. Hopefully we get out of that rut where our assistant coaches view us as Stepping-Stone U.

Dawgfan77
07-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Melvin was gone by 14. Deshea was the DB coach

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2017, 09:04 AM

Whatever makes you feel better.

The truth is there are too many blue bloods who need nothing but a decent coach on the sidelines to recruit better than us, too many Ole Miss type programs that realize they can't recruit with the big boys & thus cheat, &, lastly, too many stupid recruits who pick schools based on the name on the front, stadium size, or money & don't choose a school based on the opportunity, development, & depth chart.

Reason2succeed
07-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Melvin was gone by 14. Deshea was the DB coach

I get the dates mixed up. I'd be a terrible candidate for NCAA immunity.***

Reason2succeed
07-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Whatever makes you feel better.

The truth is there are too many blue bloods who need nothing but a decent coach on the sidelines to recruit better than us, too many Ole Miss type programs that realize they can't recruit with the big boys & thus cheat, &, lastly, too many stupid recruits who pick schools based on the name on the front, stadium size, or money & don't choose a school based on the opportunity, development, & depth chart.

You don't need all the recruits. You just need some. Recruiting will always be a dog fight. You have to sell your program and recruits might not buy. That's life in sports.

The point is that we have new selling points that we can drop on recruits and their parents that we didn't have before. It can't hurt.

Reason2succeed
07-03-2017, 09:37 PM
https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2017/07/03/mississippi-state-football-dan-mullen-turned-msu-best-developmental-program-country/

This article says the same thing I said in the OP but with more facts included.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Top 20 if we are lucky. I'm fine with that. TCU has been pretty solid if not salty 80+ per cent of the time over the last several years with top 25'ish recruiting classes.

If only we played in the Big 12....

TUSK
07-03-2017, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;769739][QUOTE=1bigdawg;769719]

It might be a small chance but it's not no chance. Not only could we benefit from a down OM but we might also benefit from a down LSU along with the Dak effect. I would say KT is already proof of this. With Ogre there pissing of black coaches in NOLA there's no guessing what could happen. Pick up a player or two OM would have snatched, plus a player or two that LSU would have gotten, get a player or two from Texas and now you are looking at a top class.

There's some good points made here... additionally, I believe that the current SEC is primed for MSU to make a move up the pecking order....

OM is about to get bombed back into the stone age.... LSU has a shit coach and is very vulnerable.... A&M/AU have coaches on the HOT SEAT this year... ARKIE, well... it's Arkansas....

UT, KY, Vandy, SC, and Mizzo all suck ass.... UGA and FLA (crappy recruiting) are in flux with new coaches....

Bottom line.... UT, UGA, LSU, AU, & UF won't all be simultaneously this weak, for very long....

MaroonFlounder
07-04-2017, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Reason2succeed;769788][QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;769739]

There's some good points made here... additionally, I believe that the current SEC is primed for MSU to make a move up the pecking order....

OM is about to get bombed back into the stone age.... LSU has a shit coach and is very vulnerable.... A&M/AU have coaches on the HOT SEAT this year... ARKIE, well... it's Arkansas....

UT, KY, Vandy, SC, and Mizzo all suck ass.... UGA and FLA (crappy recruiting) are in flux with new coaches....

Bottom line.... UT, UGA, LSU, AU, & UF won't all be simultaneously this weak, for very long....

I'm sorry, but it's difficult to trust the perspective of a fan of a team that MSU might not beat again until after I'm dead.