PDA

View Full Version : Mayden vs Bohanon

Matt3467
06-30-2017, 08:57 AM
I don't post very much, but I'm curious as to what everyone else here thinks about these two players. It appears we had our pick at either, but after seeing Mayden drop 11 spots in the latest 247sports rankings and Bohanon continue to rise did we get the better QB? Before anyone jumps on me let me say that I've no doubt that Mayden is talented and if Mullen went after him he must be special.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2017, 09:01 AM
They dropped Mayden because of an event in shorts & t shirts. Disregarding he lead 6A Texas in passing with a 27/4 TD/INT Ratio. They did the same thing last year to Keytaon. It's funny how last summer everyone killed 247 for dropping Keytaon in their rankings because of the Elite 11 but everybody is questioning Mayden now because his rating dropped in the Elite 11. To answer your question I'm more than fine with taking Mayden.

Ari Gold
06-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Fitz Sr
KT soph
Mayden Fr

I'll take it..

smootness
06-30-2017, 09:21 AM
They dropped Mayden because of an event in shorts & t shirts. Disregarding he lead 6A Texas in passing with a 27/4 TD/INT Ratio. They did the same thing last year to Keytaon. It's funny how last summer everyone killed 247 for dropping Keytaon in their rankings because of the Elite 11 but everybody is questioning Mayden now because his rating dropped in the Elite 11. To answer your question I'm more than fine with taking Mayden.

Has the Elite 11 not proven by now to be a terrible way to judge QBs? I mean, how many of the QBs to come out of the event with their stock soaring have gone on to do anything?

Here are the Elite 11 MVPs for the last 10 years:

2006 - John Brantley
2007 - Blaine Gabbert
2008 - Aaron Murray
2009 - Jake Heaps
2010 - Jeff Driskel
2011 - Neil Burcham/Tanner Mangum
2012 - Asiantii Woulard
2013 - Sean White
2014 - Blake Barnett
2015 - Shea Patterson
2016 - Tua Tagovailoa

Other past MVPs: Brock Berlin, Ben Olson, Kyle Wright, Rhett Bomar

So...do we not have enough evidence at this point to say that Elite 11 is a pretty bad way to judge a QB primed for success at the next level and beyond? Gabbert and Murray and nobody else.

Big4Dawg
06-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Sean White won the Elite 11 a couple years ago. All I need to know.

Tbonewannabe
06-30-2017, 09:28 AM
I trust Mullen a lot more than I trust the Elite 11.

ShotgunDawg
06-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Has the Elite 11 not proven by now to be a terrible way to judge QBs? I mean, how many of the QBs to come out of the event with their stock soaring have gone on to do anything?

2006 - John Brantley
2007 - Blaine Gabbert
2008 - Aaron Murray
2009 - Jake Heaps
2010 - Jeff Driskel
2012 - Asiantii Woulard
2013 - Sean White
2014 - Blake Barnett
2015 - Shea Patterson
2016 - Tua Tagovailoa

So...do we not have enough evidence at this point to say that Elite 11 is a pretty bad way to judge a QB primed for success at the next level and beyond? Gabbert and Murray and nobody else.

That's a lot of no upside, non NFL trash.

Problem is that Elite 11 favors the maxed out, polished, no upside player over the athletic, projectable, less refined prospects. Amazing how they make this mistake every year.

smootness
06-30-2017, 09:34 AM
That's a lot of no upside, non NFL trash.

Problem is that Elite 11 favors the maxed out, polished, no upside player over the athletic, projectable, less refined prospects. Amazing how they make this mistake every year.

Yup. It's also a ton of hype. Brock Berlin was as hyped as any HS QB prospect ever. Olson and Kyle Wright were massively hyped as well. Stafford also won it, he was hugely hyped. It seems like early on it was about hype and awarding the guy considered the top QB prospect in the country. More recently, it seems they've tried to just give it to the guy who performed best at Elite 11, even if it is someone out of left field (see Burcham and Woulard). That has also proven to be a bad way of judging things.

So Elite 11 is basically just a competition for QBs and that's how it should be viewed. It is its own entity, and making the finals or winning MVP should simply be celebrated for what it is, not as some kind of sign of future success. Allowing performance there to actually influence your recruiting rankings is pretty stupid.

On the flip side, Justin Fields is a kid from just down the road who I've seen in a practice and camp setting and in a game. He has skyrocketed because of Elite 11, and while I really like him and he is a very good prospect, I have a very hard time believing he is truly the 2nd best player in the entire country.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-30-2017, 10:13 AM
http://247sports.com/Article/Do-Elite-11-QBs-turn-into-stars-How-Elite-11-alumni-fared-in-col-53362797

Bully13
06-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Sure is nice seeing us signing 4 star QB'S out of Texas with offers from the likes of Ohio State, UGA, and all the other heavy weights.

so different from what I'd grown accustomed to over the last 4 decades or so.

now it's time to pick up our game with the big nasties.

ShotgunDawg
06-30-2017, 11:06 AM
http://247sports.com/Article/Do-Elite-11-QBs-turn-into-stars-How-Elite-11-alumni-fared-in-col-53362797

The article mentions how Elite 11 QBs win the Heisman, but IMO that also goes hand in hand with the hype. The Heisman is a hype trophy that goes players on national championship contenders and Elite 11 is the exact same thing.

Leroy Jenkins
06-30-2017, 11:10 AM

2006 - John Brantley
2007 - Blaine Gabbert
2008 - Aaron Murray
2009 - Jake Heaps
2010 - Jeff Driskel
2012 - Asiantii Woulard
2013 - Sean White
2014 - Blake Barnett
2015 - Shea Patterson
2016 - Tua Tagovailoa

That list should be re-titled "QBs who peaked in HS".

smootness
06-30-2017, 11:17 AM
The article mentions how Elite 11 QBs win the Heisman, but IMO that also goes hand in hand with the hype. The Heisman is a hype trophy that goes players on national championship contenders and Elite 11 is the exact same thing.

They also include any QB who has attended any Elite 11 event. Basically all Heisman QB winners come from big schools, big schools only sign top QB recruits, and all top QB recruits attend an Elite 11 event.

That is pretty much like saying that all Heisman winners have attended recruiting camps, therefore recruiting camps are a good way to identify Heisman winners.