PDA

View Full Version : OT-Chicago

bulldog2488
06-29-2017, 10:39 PM
The wife and I are heading to Chicago for a short anniversary trip next week. I'm a Braves fan, but I've always wanted to go to Wrigley. We are going to catch the Cubs and Pirates play next weekend (hoping Frazier will be in the lineup that day). Anyway, we need some suggestions on things to do/see and places to eat. What y'all got? Definitely want to get some Chicago style pizza while we are there but there are a billion of those. Any suggestions?

LandDawg
06-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Take an architectural boat tour and walk around Navy Pier. Great food just can't remember names of any places.

Cowboydawg
06-29-2017, 11:03 PM
Lou Malnati's...get the Malnati salad too.

starkvegasdawg
06-29-2017, 11:44 PM
Rent Ferris Buehler's Day Off for some ideas.

TUSK
06-30-2017, 02:21 AM
I'm a 1911 style, double row, 45 caliber kinda guy...

I did have a really expensive (& great) steak in Morton's....

PMDawg
06-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Pack some bullet-proof vests, and hire a security detail (if you have the means).

starkvegasdawg
06-30-2017, 08:00 AM
Pack some bullet-proof vests, and hire a security detail (if you have the means).

Several years ago my parents along with another couple went on vacation together to do the loop the lake tour of Lake Michigan. The other guy wanted to tour some museum when they went through Chicago. He got lost and they ended up in inner city Chicago. It was an experience they said.

Thrill1
06-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Miracle Mile (Michigan Ave) area is very nice. Lots of attractions with restaurants all around. Navy Pier, the Bean, Grant Park, acquarium, planetarium and Soldier Field all within that stretch. Was there in April for business, and this area is nothing like the war zone you see and hear about.

Can't go wrong with Giordano's for deep dish. Well worth the 45 minute wait.

fader2103
06-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Harry Caray's Tavern on the Navy Pier

iPat09
06-30-2017, 09:36 AM
I would suggest Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due. They are a block from each other and the home of the original Chicago deep dish. I do my best to make it there every time I make it to Chicago. Also, you can make a reservation so when you are seated, you only have to wait 15 minutes for you pizza because they start cooking it early.

As far as things to do, you can never go wrong with Navy Pier. If you want to shell out the money, you check out the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower). Plenty of boat taxies up the the river and tours out into Lake Michigan. You can also check out the museum of science and industry.

Steakonastick
06-30-2017, 09:50 AM
I highly recommend the Museum of Science and Industry. Go to the game early and walk around Wrigleyville. Some great watering holes and restaurants circle the ballpark. If you can go eat dinner one night at the signature room. It's the 95th floor of the John Hancock building.

bulldog2488
06-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys!

Pinto
06-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Do this as well. http://theskydeck.com

Portillos is good if you want to chance a heart attack.

Bothrops
06-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Killer restaurants in that town. It's one of the better food cities in the U.S.

Check out the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, it's awesome.

Also, bar hopping on Rush St. is fun. Chicago is also home to the original Playboy mansion, for tidbits.

FISHDAWG
06-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Field Museum ... on the waterfront. They have a T-rex skeleton assembled and the man eating lions of Tsavo on display

grinnindawg
06-30-2017, 01:11 PM
2nd on the boat tour. Lou Malnatis for pizza. Miracle mile was fun. Stay situational aware.