PDA

View Full Version : Contributions to the program

WPDawg
09-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Just curious on individual contribution to the program by the posters here. I think most of you are crazy to be talking coaching change but money is power so.....what do each of you contribute annually to the BC to support coaches salaries and facility improvements.

Its just entertainment to me. Love when we win and hate when we lose but dont see the need to immediately jump on Mullen after three games. Looks like he has a pretty good group of young players and if anything is building for something long term. Seems there were a bunch who wanted Cohen gone too.....even as late as this past spring.

So, to lend credence to what you are spouting, how much do you give each year to make a difference?

btw....my total contribution is the support of my son attending MSU and maybe the attendance of one game.

Bo Darville
09-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Go back and read the game threads. Some wanted to fire Cohen in Omaha.

BeastMan
09-15-2013, 05:34 PM
I hate this post. I'm not even on the fire Mullen train but the arrogance of this bullshit post pisses me off and let me tell you why. This argument is used by the old folks to discredit younger folks.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm in the under 30 crowd. I'm paying off 20k I borrowed so I could get a degree from the school I love. I, more or less, pay an extra car note monthly to MSU. That doesn't leave much for MSU athletics. Add in my wife and her school debt and it doubles. Many folks under 30 are going through the same thing.

So when someone like myself reads this bullshit, it pisses me off. Does mine or someone like me opinions not matter?

It's not just an MSU thing either. Students at every college made sacrifices to go there. I wish I didn't have to pay for my school. If that was the case, I could easily give more. Unfortunately I can't. Gfy. Mods oughta delete this bullshit post

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 05:37 PM
They said I gave too much and asked me to stop.

And firing CDM is dumb, but as I've said since the beginning of the season, it's likely going to happen.

Will James
09-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Its just entertainment to me.

It's more than that to me.

immediately jump on Mullen after three games.

2-8 in our last 10. No sign of coaching improvement.

Seems there were a bunch who wanted Cohen gone too.....even as late as this past spring.

Let's play Find-A-Quote

maybe the attendance of one game.

You harumph and then finish with this? Really? Let me ask, did you even attend State?

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Just curious on individual contribution to the program by the posters here. I think most of you are crazy to be talking coaching change but money is power so.....what do each of you contribute annually to the BC to support coaches salaries and facility improvements.

Its just entertainment to me. Love when we win and hate when we lose but dont see the need to immediately jump on Mullen after three games. Looks like he has a pretty good group of young players and if anything is building for something long term. Seems there were a bunch who wanted Cohen gone too.....even as late as this past spring.

So, to lend credence to what you are spouting, how much do you give each year to make a difference?

btw....my total contribution is the support of my son attending MSU and maybe the attendance of one game.

This is some Genespage shit at it's finest.

Let me guess, if we think we could do better an Dan why don't we all apply for e job!!!11!!!1!1*

chef dixon
09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
They said I gave too much and asked me to stop.

And firing CDM is dumb, but as I've said since the beginning of the season, it's likely going to happen.

No its not. No one worth anything would EVER even think about coming to MSU if we fired Mullen anytime soon.

cheewgumm
09-15-2013, 05:47 PM
If you want to suck then don't care. If you want to not suck then care

Coach34
09-15-2013, 05:48 PM
There are 2 posters on this site that are in the top 15% of the BC. You feel better now?

They are split on what we should do btw

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 05:58 PM
I send a nice check and buy season tickets every year. It's nobody's damn business how much I send.

maroonmania
09-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Look, I'm as frustrated as anyone on how the year has started as is probably obvious in my posting but no way do I think we have justification for firing a guy who has led us to 3 straight bowl appearance prior to this year. I think at minimum he has to get one full year with the Dak spread attack before any major judgements are made. Its not like Croom where we sucked outside of one fluke year where the defense and special teams scored a boatload of TDs. But, even if we desired making a change this year how would anyone think we could pay off multiple years of a 2.6 million dollar contract at the same time we are shoveling all of this money into facility upgrades? Don't know exactly how many years are left on Mullen's contract after this season but I would assume at least 2 and maybe 3. I think it WAY too premature to talk about a coaching change at this point unless there are off the field issues. I do realize though with the stadium expansion and the quality of play in today's SEC that we can't put up with a product below expectations nearly as long as you maybe used to or we will lose a lot of the fanbase we've gained over that past several years. And I am a multi-year lower level season ticket holder so I'm giving my share of money.

Op4isabitch
09-15-2013, 06:14 PM
There are 2 posters on this site that are in the top 15% of the BC. You feel better now?

They are split on what we should do btw

Now Coach,

I asked you not to throw that information around. Next time you visit our suite there will be no lobster rolls or steak tar tar for you. You'll be getting naty light and sardines on crackers.

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Look, I'm as frustrated as anyone on how the year has started as is probably obvious in my posting but no way do I think we have justification for firing a guy who has led us to 3 straight bowl appearance prior to this year. I think at minimum he has to get one full year with the Dak spread attack before any major judgements are made. Its not like Croom where we sucked outside of one fluke year where the defense and special teams scored a boatload of TDs. But, even if we desired making a change this year how would anyone think we could pay off multiple years of a 2.6 million dollar contract at the same time we are shoveling all of this money into facility upgrades? Don't know exactly how many years are left on Mullen's contract after this season but I would assume at least 2 and maybe 3. I think it WAY too premature to talk about a coaching change at this point unless there are off the field issues. I do realize though with the stadium expansion and the quality of play in today's SEC that we can't put up with a product below expectations nearly as long as you maybe used to or we will lose a lot of the fanbase we've gained over that past several years. And I am a multi-year lower level season ticket holder so I'm giving my share of money.

I agree, and I keep saying it, "Mullen will win 8 games next year". Look at the schedule and the personnel.

WPDawg
You certainly dont have say how much you give each year. Just gives some credence to readers to how much pull you have.

I did grad from MSU. Used to be season ticket holder. Used to let the wins and losses affect the rest of my day. Now its just entertainment. I cant effect it either way as I dont donate. But I do think Mullen is competent. He may not be Saban but he hasnt been coaching that long either. If you are to young and broke to make a contribution, then you are to young and broke to complain 3 games in to the season. Save it for the end of the year.

WeWillScrewItUp
Let me guess, if we think we could do better an Dan why don't we all apply for e job!!!11!!!1!1*

I'm sure there are many on here, myself included a lot of Saturday nights, that would love to know where to apply.

Itsbeenworse
09-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Young or old money makes the world go round. The reason we are not in the top tier is that we don't pay as much as the top tier programs pay for their football. Our head coach is relatively speaking well paid but we either don't have or choose not to spend to (again, relatively speaking) pay assistants well and spend on the rest of the football program. Without looking it up I'm willing to bet that our performance relative to our football budget is about in line. We're in the lower quarter in the conference and our wins (or lack thereof) put us in the lower quarter of the league. I don't think we have the money to up the effort. If the SEC network starts delivering some big bucks it will help but everyone else in the league will get more too.

chef dixon
09-15-2013, 06:24 PM
I agree, and I keep saying it, "Mullen will win 8 games next year". Look at the schedule and the personnel.

I agree as well. Yes its been 5 years, but Mullen finally has a guy emerging at the QB position that fits what he wants to do. Relf was great, but we were getting every last bit of talent and hustle out of that guy. You've got to give Mullen the chance with Dak.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
You certainly dont have say how much you give each year. Just gives some credence to readers to how much pull you have.

I did grad from MSU. Used to be season ticket holder. Used to let the wins and losses affect the rest of my day. Now its just entertainment. I cant effect it either way as I dont donate. But I do think Mullen is competent. He may not be Saban but he hasnt been coaching that long either. If you are to young and broke to make a contribution, then you are to young and broke to complain 3 games in to the season. Save it for the end of the year.

You are a condescending asshole. I think you need a break...

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 06:29 PM

So your age determines how much and how early in the year you can complain?? Shove that shit up your ass.

State82
09-15-2013, 06:31 PM

I'll lend some credence to this post. The only dollar figure of concern right now is "2,600,000". How is that working out for us?

bluelightstar
09-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Total bull.

maroonmania
09-15-2013, 06:35 PM

My only question mark for next year is, you guessed it, how does the OL perform? How bad will the loss of Gabe Jackson sting? Who will we have at RT? LG? We are bringing in a lot of JUCO OL because of attrition in earlier classes but our track record with JUCO OL recruiting is not the best.

msstate7
09-15-2013, 06:36 PM
My only question mark for next year is, you guessed it, how does the OL perform? How bad will the loss of Gabe Jackson sting? Who will we have at RT? LG? We are bringing in a lot of JUCO OL because of attrition in earlier classes but our track record with JUCO OL recruiting is not the best.
Will desper, clayborn, flowers or Thomas be ready by next season? Aren't they suppose to be sec quality

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 06:37 PM
The greatest source of pride we can have as a fan base is that we truly are "the people's university."

The bow ties and aristocrats can take their mint juleps to the plantation. Everyone gets a voice at State.

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Between the 4 men in my family, we probably are close to 25k a year. None of us are huge fans of mullen and never have been. Coach can vouch that Ive never thought of him to be a good coach. He cant recruit and coaches hate working under him so Im not sure how he even takes us to bowls. The best part about mullen is his wife. Wish he showed as much gusto as her.

Bo Darville
09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
The greatest source of pride we can have as a fan base is that we truly are "the people's university."

The bow ties and aristocrats can take their mint juleps to the plantation. Everyone gets a voice at State.

Yes

TrueMaroon
09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I'll lend some credence to this post. The only dollar figure of concern right now is "2,600,000". How is that working out for us?

Good rebuttal.

Saltydog
09-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Next years will be worse.

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Next years will be worse.

I saw us run for over 200 last night against a SEC defense. So I think we'll be fine. Our OLine is not GREAT, but it is nowhere even close to as bad as some of you want to make it out to be.

BossDawg
09-15-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't think the comparisons between people wanting Mullen fired and people wanting Cohen fired are really fair. Cohen is a hard headed s.o.b. who never once came across as a man that was about ready to give up. There was never any doubt in his work ethic and he dug the program straight out of the pits of hell....Cohen would go down swinging if it came to that.

On the other hand, Mullen seems either beat down, depressed, or just doesn't give a damn anymore. It really started showing after Bama raped us last year. I really don't know what the problem is, but he has definitely lost some spark.

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't think the comparisons between people wanting Mullen fired and people wanting Cohen fired are really fair. Cohen is a hard headed s.o.b. who never once came across as a man that was about ready to give up. There was never any doubt in his work ethic and he dug the program straight out of the pits of hell....Cohen would go down swinging if it came to that.

On the other hand, Mullen seems either beat down, depressed, or just doesn't give a damn anymore. It really started showing after Bama raped us last year. I really don't know what the problem is, but he has definitely lost some spark.

I was just talking on the phone with a good friend of mine that is a big Bama fan. We were talking about State/Auburn and Bama/A&M. After I vented about State, he said, "man, don't take this the wrong way, but I have never seen a team give games away like MSU has under Mullen". I thought it was just me being over the top about my team, but apparently everyone in the country sees it.

Mullen used to chest bump players coming off the field after big plays, and show tons of emotion, and get in the refs ears...but no more. Now, he just sits over there with a straight face chewing on the play card and looking up at the scoreboard occasionally, as if he doesn't even want to be there.

Well guess what? Hud is throwing up 335 on bench press and chest bumping linemen as they put 70 on the board Saturday night, and he is chomping at the bit for an opportunity like MSU. So Mullen either needs to get his ass in gear, or GET THE HELL OUT. You see what Freeze and Malzahn are doing, and Hud was right there with them as the top coaches in the Sunbelt. I'm all for Mullen figuring it out, but he better start in a hurry, bc otherwise we will be in the tank and someone will have grabbed Hud before we know it.

PassInterference
09-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Top 30%.

Todd4State
09-15-2013, 11:03 PM

Cohen's program has also made obvious tangible progress from year to year and recruiting is obviously getting better. In other words- there's really no comparison between him and Dan.

engie
09-16-2013, 12:54 AM

The correct answer to the start of "this" Mullen was LSU 2011. That was the first time he "quit" -- and it hasn't been the same ever since.

I've defended him for a long time now both when it was popular and unpopular -- but my "belief" is pretty shattered at this point. Everyone points to next year and what he will likely win(which I agree with) -- but why can't/won't Hud do the same thing here?

My big thing is momentum. We had a ton of it right up until the goal line stand @ Auburn in 2011. From that point, we've been slowly losing steam. OM's rise has put this under a magnifying glass. At this point, it's prettymuch fully stagnant if not in regression. Excellent chance the sellout streak falls in the next couple of weeks -- and not unlike 2002 -- we're just a few more underperformances away from having a freshly expanded stadium that we CAN NOT sell out...

Will James
09-16-2013, 06:18 AM
but why can't/won't Hud do the same thing here?

My thoughts exactly.

Mjoelner34
09-16-2013, 06:18 AM
....... But, even if we desired making a change this year how would anyone think we could pay off multiple years of a 2.6 million dollar contract at the same time we are shoveling all of this money into facility upgrades?.....

Well, if the rumor I heard several years ago is true, we'd have no problem paying off a contract. While there was wild speculation about the amount of money left by Mr. Seal when he passed, I can tell you two things I heard. Not long after the donation, I heard from a friend of mine that is pretty high up in the athletic department that the money from Seal was earmarked only for two things. 1. To buyout the contract of the head football coach if we want him gone. 2. To give raises to the head football coach to keep him from leaving. No stadium upgrades, no assistant's salaries, no sharing with any other sport. Those two things only. It wasn't long after I was told that when Scott Stricklin himself said, "If Dan Mullen ever leaves Starkville, it won't be because of money."

I have no idea of the amount of the Seal donation and neither does my friend in the athletic department but I do know what he told me and I do know what I heard Stricklin say just days later. Could my friend have incorrect information? Sure he could. But, what he told me conveniently fits right in with Stricklin's statement.

PassInterference
09-16-2013, 06:42 AM
The correct answer to the start of "this" Mullen was LSU 2011. That was the first time he "quit" -- and it hasn't been the same ever since.

I've defended him for a long time now both when it was popular and unpopular -- but my "belief" is pretty shattered at this point. Everyone points to next year and what he will likely win(which I agree with) -- but why can't/won't Hud do the same thing here?

My big thing is momentum. We had a ton of it right up until the goal line stand @ Auburn in 2011. From that point, we've been slowly losing steam. OM's rise has put this under a magnifying glass. At this point, it's prettymuch fully stagnant if not in regression. Excellent chance the sellout streak falls in the next couple of weeks -- and not unlike 2002 -- we're just a few more underperformances away from having a freshly expanded stadium that we CAN NOT sell out...

Pump the brakes on the gloom and doom.

Scott Field wasn't selling out every game before it got expanded and turned into Davis Wade Stadium. You build something cool and people come.

In the new expansion, students are going to be in the endzone. That gives us 30% more 50 yardline seats. People will show up for that. People will also show up for that new club level endzone concourse stuff as well as the gridiron club stuff.

There is debate over weather or not Mullen has peaked and you already have us in a ticket sales problem. Geez.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm single handed-ly paying Mullin's contract. I'm in control of when he stays or go. #deeppockets

DownwardDawg
09-16-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm single handed-ly paying Mullin's contract. I'm in control of when he stays or go. #deeppockets

Then make it rain!!! On HUD!!!!!! **

engie
09-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Pump the brakes on the gloom and doom.
I'll pump the brakes when I WANT to pump the brakes. At this point, the trend is CLEAR. It's not "doom and gloom" -- I'm as optimistically realistic as any damn State fan you'll ever meet.

Scott Field wasn't selling out every game before it got expanded and turned into Davis Wade Stadium. You build something cool and people come.
K -- well let me know when it's actually full next weekend...because it won't be. Whether or not boosters/Mullen will buyout the last tickets to preserve the streak is yet to be seen -- but the momentum is gone at this point. Losing 7 of 9 will do that to you.

In the new expansion, students are going to be in the endzone. That gives us 30% more 50 yardline seats. People will show up for that This is Mississippi State. People aren't showing up for bad football period. Sure -- you might "sell out" the premium seating that opens up from the student move.

People will also show up for that new club level endzone concourse stuff as well as the gridiron club stuff.
You REALLY think this stuff sells out a season? NO -- It's a reason to go see a few games.

There is debate over weather or not Mullen has peaked and you already have us in a ticket sales problem. Geez.
I'm telling you the CLEAR trend among a fanbase that will shut it down when we stop believing in a coach. THIS discussion is not whether or not he's "peaked" --- THIS discussion is something else entirely. It's WHAT has he done that Hud couldn't/wouldn't do? And the answer is most likely nothing at all.

You can't "fix" quitting. Period. Once the ball is rolling downhill, there is no stopping that with a coach. Mullen has quit. Relentless effort is gone. Playing not to lose against Auburn when we should have cut their nuts off and put up 5-600 yards tells me all I need to know...

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
You can't "fix" quitting. Period. Once the ball is rolling downhill, there is no stopping that with a coach. Mullen has quit. Relentless effort is gone. Playing not to lose against Auburn when we should have cut their nuts off and put up 5-600 yards tells me all I need to know...

Damn, this is a very strong paragraph...and one I agree with.

The question is, do we as State fans and Scott as AD, allow the ball to reach the bottom of the hill before making a move this time? Or do we try to stop the ball from rolling, make a change, and try to build off of what Dan has built for us? What happens in the next 4-5 months will likely determine if we can climb to the next level, or if we will take the typical MSU cycle back down to the bottom and go back to losing seasons on the regular.

C222
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
I'll pump the brakes when I WANT to pump the brakes. At this point, the trend is CLEAR. It's not "doom and gloom" -- I'm as optimistically realistic as any damn State fan you'll ever meet.

K -- well let me know when it's actually full next weekend...because it won't be. Whether or not boosters/Mullen will buyout the last tickets to preserve the streak is yet to be seen -- but the momentum is gone at this point. Losing 7 of 9 will do that to you.

This is Mississippi State. People aren't showing up for bad football period. Sure -- you might "sell out" the premium seating that opens up from the student move.

You REALLY think this stuff sells out a season? NO -- It's a reason to go see a few games.

I'm telling you the CLEAR trend among a fanbase that will shut it down when we stop believing in a coach. THIS discussion is not whether or not he's "peaked" --- THIS discussion is something else entirely. It's WHAT has he done that Hud couldn't/wouldn't do? And the answer is most likely nothing at all.

I agree with this 100%. Mullen looks like he doesn't even care anymore. It's scary.

HIGHDOG
09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
beastman - i'm going on 85 yrs old & i resent the "old" criticism...most of us went thru the same "growing pains" as you!!...just keep on "plowing corn" & you'll be ok...tom

TheRef
09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
I'll admit it, I'm a student. But I'm proud to be a student. I contribute with my undying support for the team. I don't get mad at players, I get mad at coaches. Do I make monetary contributions? No. Why? Because I can't. If that makes me where I can't get mad about our effort on the field and our playcalling? Then damn me to Hell. I guess I shouldn't care about basketball or baseball either. Or hell, why should I care about ANYTHING athletic related? Using your logic, I'm useless in your mind. So you can shove your logic and your thinking right up your arse. Tell you what, I'll print this thread out, roll it up nice and tight so that it will go in there better.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2013, 10:50 AM
I'll admit it, I'm a student. But I'm proud to be a student. I contribute with my undying support for the team. I don't get mad at players, I get mad at coaches. Do I make monetary contributions? No. Why? Because I can't. If that makes me where I can't get mad about our effort on the field and our playcalling? Then damn me to Hell. I guess I shouldn't care about basketball or baseball either. Or hell, why should I care about ANYTHING athletic related? Using your logic, I'm useless in your mind. So you can shove your logic and your thinking right up your arse. Tell you what, I'll print this thread out, roll it up nice and tight so that it will go in there better.

Haha, +1

WPDawg
09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
So money or no money, young or old, we all have a passion for a winning program. But when it comes down to it, are you a customer or investor (thru time or money) with the MSU football program? Both have the right to complain. But customers tend to complain out loud as they dont mind jumping to a new product. Investors complain amongst themselves and try to fix the problem without putting on a public display of dissatisfaction.

If you were the owner/investor in a business, you would not be on a public forum running down your own business for the whole world to see. If you are an investor in the MSU football program either thru attendance and/or monetary contributions and intend to be passionate for a long time, dont you think in this day and age of internet/social media, it is smarter to not run down your own team so that anyone with a computer can read your displeasure. So to me it seems smarter to discuss the who to fire stuff at the tailgate, your living room or maybe a Private message board. Doesnt it seem possible that prospective recruits who have a hard time making a decison on where to go play football will possibly read all the ranting comments (or have other schools share them to gain an edge) and cost us some points with them?

Political Hack
09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
So money or no money, young or old, we all have a passion for a winning program. But when it comes down to it, are you a customer or investor (thru time or money) with the MSU football program? Both have the right to complain. But customers tend to complain out loud as they dont mind jumping to a new product. Investors complain amongst themselves and try to fix the problem without putting on a public display of dissatisfaction.

If you were the owner/investor in a business, you would not be on a public forum running down your own business for the whole world to see. If you are an investor in the MSU football program either thru attendance and/or monetary contributions and intend to be passionate for a long time, dont you think in this day and age of internet/social media, it is smarter to not run down your own team so that anyone with a computer can read your displeasure. So to me it seems smarter to discuss the who to fire stuff at the tailgate, your living room or maybe a Private message board. Doesnt it seem possible that prospective recruits who have a hard time making a decison on where to go play football will possibly read all the ranting comments (or have other schools share them to gain an edge) and cost us some points with them?

agree in general, but when people want change they won't be silent about it. The only way to affectiate change as a "customer" is to voice your opinion and hope others do the same. As an "investor" it's easy. You just quit investing and let your displeasure be felt that way until change occurs.

In short, investors can pull out their investments and still be customers that consume the product. I don't think Scott would want the customers pulling out... so he'd better give them a message board to bitch on.