PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to not listen to the "experts": Phil Steele version

msudawg1200
06-28-2017, 12:48 PM
I always buy the Phil Steele College Preview, so I picked up the 2017 version yesterday. Steele always touts himself as " most accurate"(my predictions usually beat Athlon's and Lindy's also there Mr. Steele), and he also claims his mag comes out so much later(June 27) than the others because he analyzes all 130 teams in depth after spring and talks to coaches one on one for more accuracy. Well, he picked us last and not to go to a bowl. That's fine, but his "in depth" accuracy still has Malik Dear on the 1st team and never mentions his injury. He has Jamal Peters at 2nd string FS instead of 1st team CB. He still has Smokey not only on the roster, but as 2nd team corner. Not that big of a deal but for someone who claims "accuracy" he has Abrams as a GA Tech transfer instead of UGA. He picks us last but says Mullen has never finished last, and he fully expects for him not to finish last again. Then why pick us last? He also screwed up the bowl tie ins(didn't even have an SEC team in the Gator Bowl). Lastly and the best of all he has the Bears as being one of the top 10 most improved teams. What the? Again, the pout of this diatribe is not to get worked up by the "experts" because most of us know more about college football than those pandering bastards.

TUSK
06-28-2017, 01:11 PM
I always buy the Phil Steele College Preview, so I picked up the 2017 version yesterday. Steele always touts himself as " most accurate"(my predictions usually beat Athlon's and Lindy's also there Mr. Steele), and he also claims his mag comes out so much later(June 27) than the others because he analyzes all 130 teams in depth after spring and talks to coaches one on one for more accuracy. Well, he picked us last and not to go to a bowl. That's fine, but his "in depth" accuracy still has Malik Dear on the 1st team and never mentions his injury. He has Jamal Peters at 2nd string FS instead of 1st team CB. He still has Smokey not only on the roster, but as 2nd team corner. Not that big of a deal but for someone who claims "accuracy" he has Abrams as a GA Tech transfer instead of UGA. He picks us last but says Mullen has never finished last, and he fully expects for him not to finish last again. Then why pick us last? He also screwed up the bowl tie ins(didn't even have an SEC team in the Gator Bowl). Lastly and the best of all he has the Bears as being one of the top 10 most improved teams. What the? Again, the pout of this diatribe is not to get worked up by the "experts" because most of us know more about college football than those pandering bastards.

His magazine's editing is definitely subpar... I've seen several of those errors (even one regarding UA)...

That being said, his rag is usually more accurate than the rest... (not that that's an endorsement of his accuracy).

smootness
06-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Phil Steele is ridiculously overrated. All of his analysis is based on a player's recruiting reputation (even if they're an upperclassman) and the # of returning starters. That's it.

TUSK
06-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Phil Steele is ridiculously overrated. All of his analysis is based on a player's recruiting reputation (even if they're an upperclassman) and the # of returning starters. That's it.

That is a HUGE part of his recipe... You forgot "stats", though...

It's logically sound but hardly "in depth", IMO... which makes me wonder WTF the other publications do????

FISHDAWG
06-28-2017, 03:32 PM
The problem for these prognosticators is that MSU used to always be an easy prediction ..... now, (even after last season) there is an air of unknown - so to be on the safe side just go with what worked for so long ... Tusk is right in that Steele is usually closer than most ... but doing that many teams he misses the details that can make a significant change. I'm convinced the guy doesn't disrespect us - he's just going with the odds

Ari Gold
06-28-2017, 03:47 PM
What did he not have Tony Shell at QB and David Farr at RB???

Bully13
06-28-2017, 03:53 PM
when you "cover" over 130 teams, I have to wonder just how "in-depth" that coverage actually is.