PDA

View Full Version : The situation with one of our baseball players made me think

Todd4State
06-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Would you use PED's if you were a marginal player but it would guarantee that you could play baseball at MSU for a year- would you do it? Caveat is you would also get caught and suspended and get kicked off the team after a year and your career is over.

I'd probably do it.

MoreCowbell
06-28-2017, 12:34 PM
I'd do it. The pro's outweigh the cons and honestly, getting caught using PEDs is looked at much differently than getting caught with hard drugs. You could recover socially from a PED scandal.

HSVDawg
06-28-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm still not convinced it was PED's that Plumlee was using, and probably won't be until its explicitly called out by a reputable source.

MoreCowbell
06-28-2017, 12:47 PM
But I am curious, what would have happened had we won the series and he had pitched? Forfeit?

Todd4State
06-28-2017, 12:49 PM
I'm still not convinced it was PED's that Plumlee was using, and probably won't be until its explicitly called out by a reputable source.

FWIW a failed test for marijuana is I think is six months. A failed PED test is one year which is what the length of Plumlee's suspension is.

Todd4State
06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
But I am curious, what would have happened had we won the series and he had pitched? Forfeit?

I'm not sure- probably vacate any games won in which ineligible player appeared in?

JimmyMcNulty
06-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Plumlee did not test positive for PEDs or marijuana

confucius say
06-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Hasn't this already been covered in the ski slopes thread

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-28-2017, 01:02 PM

This^^

KentuckyDawg13
06-28-2017, 01:05 PM
So, you care nothing about your long-term health?
This is one of the problems with today's instant society, will do anything for a flash headline.

HSVDawg
06-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Hasn't this already been covered in the ski slopes thread

Yes. The same thread where a list was created of a large number of posters who should never become narcs or undercover cops.

AROB44
06-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Well...what really happened?

BB30
06-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Could be add medication. I think it is considered a performance enhancing drug that you have to have a script for.

basedog
06-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Would you use PED's if you were a marginal player but it would guarantee that you could play baseball at MSU for a year- would you do it? Caveat is you would also get caught and suspended and get kicked off the team after a year and your career is over.

I'd probably do it.

Hell no! For a year plus putting yourself ahead of the team and school, that ain't right by no means.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-28-2017, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't use regardless of caught or not caught. I wouldn't use knowing it would get me a $15,000,000 contract. Wouldn't do it.

MetEdDawg
06-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Could be add medication. I think it is considered a performance enhancing drug that you have to have a script for.

This. I was on ADHD medication in high school. The guy giving me my test asked me if I was on ADHD meds and I said yes. I had been on them since I was 7 so it wasn't like it was something new to me. Well the idiot forgot to mark it on my test notes and I got a positive test for heroin (and a call to my mom which did not go well). Luckily that got cleared up, but unless you have a prescription, it will come up as a positive drug test, and you better be able to show proof of a prescription or you get hammered.

Now I'm not privy to what Plumlee got popped for, but I do know what ADHD medication will do to a drug test. And to be honest, I'm stunned more athletes don't get popped for a positive test on ADHD medication anymore. That's the drug of choice now in a lot of high schools and colleges.

Wet Dawg
06-28-2017, 02:06 PM
This. I was on ADHD medication in high school. The guy giving me my test asked me if I was on ADHD meds and I said yes. I had been on them since I was 7 so it wasn't like it was something new to me. Well the idiot forgot to mark it on my test notes and I got a positive test for heroin (and a call to my mom which did not go well). Luckily that got cleared up, but unless you have a prescription, it will come up as a positive drug test, and you better be able to show proof of a prescription or you get hammered.

Now I'm not privy to what Plumlee got popped for, but I do know what ADHD medication will do to a drug test. And to be honest, I'm stunned more athletes don't get popped for a positive test on ADHD medication anymore. That's the drug of choice now in a lot of high schools and colleges.

I assure you your ADHD medication didnt show up as heroin. Its an amphetamine most likely.

bulldogcountry1
06-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't do it.

Did anyone else notice Plumlee hitting upwards of 93mph in the regionals...when he barely could hit 90 in the regular season?

HSVDawg
06-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Well...what really happened?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJABjVH-0k

MetEdDawg
06-28-2017, 03:36 PM
I assure you your ADHD medication didnt show up as heroin. Its an amphetamine most likely.

You're right. I don't know why I said heroin. It did show up as a methamphetamine.

Spiderman
06-28-2017, 06:05 PM

I'd probably do it.

No, cause I'm chickenshit and am scared of needles. #NoTats

gravedigger
06-28-2017, 06:12 PM

I'd probably do it.

Sorry. No. Essentially you took a spot from a better baseball player . You hurt MSU and you taught your future kids that cheating is somehow associated with winning.

but hey, everybody does it.

SPMT
06-29-2017, 06:09 AM
So, you care nothing about your long-term health?
This is one of the problems with today's instant society, will do anything for a flash headline.

Doing steroids for a year or even multiple years in reasonable doses is not going to have much if any long term health consequences. That's overblown. In smaller doses, which also work, they aren't going to have much negative side effect, not any more than your mom taking estrogen.

Political Hack
06-29-2017, 08:31 AM

It's not steroids.

KentuckyDawg13
06-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Uh huh...thanks doc.

Doing steroids for a year or even multiple years in reasonable doses is not going to have much if any long term health consequences. That's overblown. In smaller doses, which also work, they aren't going to have much negative side effect, not any more than your mom taking estrogen.

mstatefan91
06-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Uh huh...thanks doc.

He's not wrong. The only reason steroids are taboo in the USA is because MLB got out of hand with it and Congress got involved. That and the fact that the media has no idea what they are talking about when they discuss a steroid story.

lamont
06-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Damn guys- does anybody not read?

We had a small drug problem on the team that Cann had to clean up. Thats why a few guys didnt finish the season.

None of this has been a PED issue

msstate7
06-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Cheating to get an advantage is basically what freeze did. You know what... it paid off huge. Despite how this NCAA deal turns out, freeze made tons of money and is now a celebrity of sorts.

lamont
06-29-2017, 11:36 AM
I fully regret not doing roids when I played.

HSVDawg
06-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Damn guys- does anybody not read?

We had a small drug problem on the team that Cann had to clean up. Thats why a few guys didnt finish the season.

None of this has been a PED issue

Regardless of all that, if the moon was made of green cheese, would you eat it to become an MSU baseball player?

rcsteph1
06-29-2017, 02:28 PM

I was going to argue with you on this.... until I re-read and you said reasonable doses. Problem is what is reasonable. I personally have witnessed multiple people that have heart failure secondary to steroid use. They have been through extensive surgeries (multiple) resulting in living tied to a machine in and out of the hospital which is a Ventricular Assit Device. This is a mechanical pump that is surgically placed which takes the place of the left ventricle. The lucky one later received a heart transplant. Each of these individuals would tell you they were taking "safe" doses.