PDA

View Full Version : Clemson's final winning play for the Natty---legal? pending rule changes?

Bully13
06-28-2017, 11:14 AM
haven't seen much conversation about it since we talked about it for a while right after the game. from what I remember , it looked practically indefensible. kinda like a basketball illegal pick play or something.

would like to see some opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself regarding rules and this particular play.

surprised more teams haven't implemented more, especially in the red zone.

tcdog70
06-28-2017, 11:33 AM
I think it was illegal then. Not called very often. Wish we would run it.

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Shocked Saban hasnt bitched and moaned about it and got it changed yet. It should be illegal offenses have enough advantages already.

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
haven't seen much conversation about it since we talked about it for a while right after the game. from what I remember , it looked practically indefensible. kinda like a basketball illegal pick play or something.

would like to see some opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself regarding rules and this particular play.

surprised more teams haven't implemented more, especially in the red zone.

Best way to stop it is switch it just like a screen in basketball, easier said than done though

Irondawg
06-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Saban hasn't complained because he runs it too. Pretty sure their first or TD against us last year was on a similar play

TUSK
06-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Bama runs "RUB" plays, too... the Clemson play approached an illegal "pick", IMO... Refs miss calls.... it happens...

Contrary to popular belief, Bammer gets screwed by the zebras, sometimes... all in all, we probably benefit, overall.

Now, the "OM - Linemen down field" play has to get called every time.... it's just to easy...

TimberBeast
06-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Shocked Saban hasnt bitched and moaned about it and got it changed yet. It should be illegal offenses have enough advantages already.

There is nothing to change, the play is already illegal.

Tbonewannabe
06-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Is this the UF screen that Spurrier ran constantly?

Token Bammer
06-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Clemson ran pick plays TWICE, both for TDs. What we have ran in the past and what Clemson did in the NC are not the same. What Clemson did TWICE in one game is without a doubt already illegal. Either enforce the rule or make it legal for everyone.

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2017, 04:37 PM
There is nothing to change, the play is already illegal.

It hardly ever gets called so its pretty much legal

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Saban hasn't complained because he runs it too. Pretty sure their first or TD against us last year was on a similar play

Bingo. Bama runs pick plays about every time they throw the ball in the red zone. It was so bad, I would call it pretty much Everytime, and Kiffin would do it and put his hands in the air before the ball was thrown. TD Bama. FN cheating Bama.

TUSK
06-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Bingo. Bama runs pick plays about every time they throw the ball in the red zone. It was so bad, I would call it pretty much Everytime, and Kiffin would do it and put his hands in the air before the ball was thrown. TD Bama. FN cheating Bama.

no.

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2017, 10:00 PM
no.

Yes.

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2017, 10:09 PM
True. Sometimes they hold on the edge when they run to the pilon.

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2017, 11:16 PM
no.

You cant honestly say Bama never runs pick routes in the red zone.

TUSK
06-28-2017, 11:52 PM
You cant honestly say Bama never runs pick routes in the red zone.

I didn't say that.... in fact, I admitted that Bammer does run Rubs and gets the benefit of officiating most of the time....

However, Buckethead's post is not true...

"Bama runs pick plays about every time they throw the ball in the red zone. It was so bad, I would call it pretty much Everytime, and Kiffin would do it and put his hands in the air before the ball was thrown. TD Bama. FN cheating Bama.

I'll agree if someone posts a video of Bama simultaneously:

1) throwing a TD in the redzone,
2) on an undebateble pick play, with
3) Kiffin's arms raised...

additionally, if an unedited video is presented, I further agree to never again bring up "Miles > Saban" or "Boom sucks at Stats"....

I'll hang up and listen....

BuckyIsAB****
06-29-2017, 11:37 AM
I didn't say that.... in fact, I admitted that Bammer does run Rubs and gets the benefit of officiating most of the time....

However, Buckethead's post is not true...

"Bama runs pick plays about every time they throw the ball in the red zone. It was so bad, I would call it pretty much Everytime, and Kiffin would do it and put his hands in the air before the ball was thrown. TD Bama. FN cheating Bama.

I'll agree if someone posts a video of Bama simultaneously:

1) throwing a TD in the redzone,
2) on an undebateble pick play, with
3) Kiffin's arms raised...

additionally, if an unedited video is presented, I further agree to never again bring up "Miles > Saban" or "Boom sucks at Stats"....

I'll hang up and listen....

I never said Miles>Saban or Boom sucks at stats. Not sure what that even means. Only time I remember Lane raising his hands were on big plays not red zone.

Im on yalls side of this it should be called every time. Offenses have enough advantages now anyway

Lord McBuckethead
06-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Alright. Challenge accepted. Next season, Everytime I see Bama run a pick play I will start a thread. Too bad Kiffin isn't there anymore, the frequency of those plays would be staggering.

Lord McBuckethead
06-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Saban is the best at getting the best players and winning. No doubt about it. Saban does the most with the most. 100% agree. The last couple of years, because of Kiffin I am sure they ran rub plays time and time again. It's just rich because of their issue with Clemson's obvious pick that wasn't called.

I have an issue with every pick play. Either it should be called more often or Mullen should run it more often.

TUSK
06-29-2017, 12:42 PM
I never said Miles>Saban or Boom sucks at stats. Not sure what that even means. Only time I remember Lane raising his hands were on big plays not red zone.

Im on yalls side of this it should be called every time. Offenses have enough advantages now anyway

That was an "inside joke" from long ago, buddy...

TUSK
06-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Saban is the best at getting the best players and winning. No doubt about it. Saban does the most with the most. 100% agree. The last couple of years, because of Kiffin I am sure they ran rub plays time and time again. It's just rich because of their issue with Clemson's obvious pick that wasn't called.

I have an issue with every pick play. Either it should be called more often or Mullen should run it more often.

I agree with all of that... and I didn't have a huge issue with Clemson's pick plays... disappointed with the results? Of course...

Peace.

defiantdog
06-29-2017, 01:37 PM
If Bama would've played zone or jump the route then this wouldn't be an issue. Bama plays man to man on the outside basically every defensive play. Clemson knew this and exploited it. Also, the inside db had his head in the backfield and was out of position.

TUSK
06-29-2017, 01:40 PM
If Bama would've played zone or jump the route then this wouldn't be an issue. Bama plays man to man on the outside basically every defensive play. Clemson knew this and exploited it. Also, the inside db had his head in the backfield and was out of position.

yup.

+1