PDA

View Full Version : ya'll hearing anything about several guys being removed from the baseball team??

RC3
06-23-2017, 05:24 PM
like a half-dozen players or so?

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 05:26 PM
I have not, but we've got some dead weight. Even some of the guys who played this year aren't SEC caliber players

Todd4State
06-23-2017, 05:28 PM
The only new name I've heard is Plumlee.

And that is rumor. So take it for what it's worth.

RC3
06-23-2017, 05:30 PM
The only new name I've heard is Plumlee.

And that is rumor. So take it for what it's worth.

check your pm

Leeshouldveflanked
06-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Cann doing work....:

MSUMatt
06-23-2017, 05:39 PM
I was told that they all were told that all spots are open and that no ones roster spot is guaranteed. That came from an outfielders parent.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Discipline? Told to transfer?

Homedawg
06-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Discipline? Told to transfer?

Read the post above.

msbulldog
06-23-2017, 05:56 PM
I hate it for the guys, but that's how it works and they all know it. It's a risk/reward situation.

MaroonFlounder
06-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Tanner Poole, Luke Alexander, and Brant Blaylock are great in the field....almost automatic outs with the bats.

Bragg and Gordon are not consistent enough in any aspect of their game to be considered safe.

None of the pitchers that walked more than 3 batters per nine innings should be retained.

Stovall and Mangum are gold, IMO. So are Vansau and Macnamee.

RocketDawg
06-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Don't blame Cannizaro for managing resources, but didn't the same thing allegedly factor into the Alabama coach's firing? Rumor has it that he was misappropriating funds which was the real reason for getting rid of him, but supposedly it's against the rules to not renew scholarships beause of non-performance ... which seems inappropriate to me. If they're not getting the job done, remove their scholarship.

Anyway ... that's a pretty good percentage of the entire team ... maybe 25%? That'd be like removing 20 FB scholarships.

Thought Plumlee did a good job toward the end.

RocketDawg
06-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Tanner Poole, Luke Alexander, and Brant Blaylock are great in the field....almost automatic outs with the bats.

Bragg and Gordon are not consistent enough in any aspect of their game to be considered safe.

None of the pitchers that walked more than 3 batters per nine innings should be retained.

Stovall and Mangum are gold, IMO. So are Vansau and Macnamee.

I can't remember who played 3rd last year, but wasn't half the people on the board wanting Alexander to hurry up and get over his injury to come back and replace that guy? And this year he's back and has been criticized heavily. Or am I thinking of somebody else?

msstate7
06-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Does turnover affect you in college baseball like college basketball?

Ari Gold
06-23-2017, 06:21 PM
I can't remember who played 3rd last year, but wasn't half the people on the board wanting Alexander to hurry up and get over his injury to come back and replace that guy? And this year he's back and has been criticized heavily. Or am I thinking of somebody else?

It was Collins most of the time and if anyone was wanting LA over Collins they should be banned from
Posting about baseball

Tbonewannabe
06-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Don't blame Cannizaro for managing resources, but didn't the same thing allegedly factor into the Alabama coach's firing? Rumor has it that he was misappropriating funds which was the real reason for getting rid of him, but supposedly it's against the rules to not renew scholarships beause of non-performance ... which seems inappropriate to me. If they're not getting the job done, remove their scholarship.

Anyway ... that's a pretty good percentage of the entire team ... maybe 25%? That'd be like removing 20 FB scholarships.

I don't think he can revoke schollies but he can let guys know they might not see the field.

msbulldog
06-23-2017, 06:33 PM

Rocket that is a NCAA rule. But if you tell a player he's going to see the pine bench for the rest of his career he will probably transfer. I mean 11.7 schollies between 35 players, each player is not getting enough help (except other type of schollies found). Canny is obviously rebuilding everything from coaching staff to the team. Get ready guys, we are fixing to be in a whirlwind of new things, good or bad, let's all stand strong for the Dawgs!
P.S. Rocket, I think that is the South Carolina coach that you are referring to.

Todd4State
06-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Well, technically you can cut players but it has to be done in a passive aggressive way. Most coaches will tell a player something to the effect of, "you can still be on the team but to be up front with you you're not going to play and we're not going to be able to put you on the SEC roster." The hope is that the player will then get the message and make the decision to leave on their own. Most baseball players do want to be somewhere they can at least play. What Alabama's coach allegedly did was come out in public- or at least the clubhouse and pretty much told guys that they weren't going to be back.

And with the scholarships- if a player cuts themselves that is technically not taking their scholarship because of performance. Even though it really is. In a passive aggressive way again.

Scholarships with baseball are so different than any other spot. A lot of them are receiving a good bit of academic or grant money so they're only getting 25% in a lot of cases. So, I guess if you take away their athletic scholarship they still are going to have anywhere between 0-75% of their school still paid for. I suppose it just depends on the player but no question you don't want to overspend scholarship money a player that isn't producing very much.

lamont
06-23-2017, 06:40 PM
We've sent 3 packing already- hadnt heard about a few more. Good. Cann is upgrading the roster.

Cann is a better recruiter and coach than Cohen. The next few years are going to be exciting

RocketDawg
06-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Where did the 11.7 scholarship limitation come from? Is that the resultant number from adding all the men's sports and having to balance with women's? Did baseball have more than that before Title IX? I remember some years ago going to an alumni meeting here and Polk spoke, and complained vehemently about that number, blaming it on women's sports. And I pretty much agreed with him.

Seems like if it's just a balancing act, they could cut scholarships from other less important sports.

RocketDawg
06-23-2017, 06:59 PM
It was Collins most of the time and if anyone was wanting LA over Collins they should be banned from
Posting about baseball

That's the way I remember it from last year. Couldv'e been somebody besides Alexander, but I don't think so. It was based primarily on Collins' tendency to making fielding errors. But I suppose it's a case of the grass is always greener on the other side ... you don't like what you have at the moment.

stalkingpoon
06-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Is Rigby still leaving?

Saltydog
06-23-2017, 07:19 PM
going to be a senior but apparently he's transferring, or so that's the word. Rigby's Dad and the coaches don't geehaw.

JDog13
06-23-2017, 07:24 PM
My guy tells me Coggin won't be back.

JimmyMcNulty
06-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Plumlee, K-lock, Bragg, Jolly, Ford, and Mahoney are done

TaleofTwoDogs
06-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Where did the 11.7 scholarship limitation come from? Is that the resultant number from adding all the men's sports and having to balance with women's? Did baseball have more than that before Title IX? I remember some years ago going to an alumni meeting here and Polk spoke, and complained vehemently about that number, blaming it on women's sports. And I pretty much agreed with him.

Seems like if it's just a balancing act, they could cut scholarships from other less important sports.

The NCAA voted back in 1991 to reduce all scholarships across all sports as a cost reduction measure. Baseball was trimmed from 13 to 11.7, football had a phase in to 85, and basketball from 15 to 13. Also the number of baseball games scheduled went from a maximum of 70 to 56. Title IX screwed up a lot of things but this wasn't one of them.

RC3
06-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Plumlee, K-lock, Bragg, Jolly, Ford, and Mahoney are done

Close to the same list I got

Saltydog
06-23-2017, 07:51 PM
is with him. I think Blaylock and Bragg would've been good in due time. The rest are very much expendable.

msstate7
06-23-2017, 07:52 PM
is with him. I think Blaylock and Bragg would've been good in due time. The rest are very much expendable.

Plumlee is really surprising to me

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 07:54 PM

All 3 aren't very talented. If you want to build your roster to look like the CWS teams, you can't have dead weight.

msstate7
06-23-2017, 08:05 PM
All 3 aren't very talented. If you want to build your roster to look like the CWS teams, you can't have dead weight.

Define talented. If talented is getting drafted, then we just took a pitcher from Tulane that wasn't drafted. I don't think MiLB level talent is necessary at all the positions to win in college baseball. Look at Cody brown this year

confucius say
06-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Who is k-lock?

msstate7
06-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Who is k-lock?

Blaylock

K (strike out)-lock

Creative

confucius say
06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Blaylock

K (strike out)-lock

Creative

Not Koole

msstate7
06-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Not Koole

Or luKe

HSVDawg
06-23-2017, 08:47 PM
The NCAA voted back in 1991 to reduce all scholarships across all sports as a cost reduction measure. Baseball was trimmed from 13 to 11.7, football had a phase in to 85, and basketball from 15 to 13. Also the number of baseball games scheduled went from a maximum of 70 to 56. Title IX screwed up a lot of things but this wasn't one of them.

Title IX still plays a part though because it was responsible for the original number both before 1991 and now having to be balanced. Even if you went back to 13, that is still WAY too low. How can you justify enough scholarships to be 4-deep at every position in football with scholarship players, 2-3 deep at every position in basketball, but not even 1-deep in baseball...especially when you consider needing 5 starting pitchers plus 5-6 relievers? If everything was proportional, baseball would have an absolute minimum of 18 scholarships, and realistically the fair thing would be 20-21 scholarships.

bulldogcountry1
06-23-2017, 08:49 PM
We were already looking at 16-18 returning healthy players. Factor in all these, and it's closer to 10.

I'm excited about Cann and his recruiting skills, but filling a roster with SEC-worthy players after this and after the draft put a hurting on us is going to be interesting.

basedog
06-23-2017, 08:54 PM
We were already looking at 16-18 returning healthy players. Factor in all these, and it's closer to 10.

I'm excited about Cann and his recruiting skills, but filling a roster with SEC-worthy players after this and after the draft put a hurting on us is going to be interesting.

Interesting yes, as far as hurting, pretty sure Cann has a plan.

I think a couple more who played want make the cut next fall. Out with old and in with the new!

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-23-2017, 08:56 PM
My question has to do with replacing them. It's pretty late in the game as far as finding replacements to come in August and go through fall and then get ready for next spring isn't it?? We're in June now, going on July. Are there 6 replacements out their with more ability than those 6? You do want guys with "more" ability, not just equal. If you come out equal, you may as way have stayed where you were.

Can anybody answer this?

msstate7
06-23-2017, 09:02 PM
My question has to do with replacing them. It's pretty late in the game as far as finding replacements to come in August and go through fall and then get ready for next spring isn't it?? We're in June now, going on July. Are there 6 replacements out their with more ability than those 6? You do want guys with "more" ability, not just equal. If you come out equal, you may as way have stayed where you were.

Can anybody answer this?

If you get equal from the juco ranks, you really got less bc they'll have less sec experience.

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-23-2017, 09:03 PM

He was let go last week.

The Federalist Engineer
06-23-2017, 09:12 PM
This is normal, let the process happen. Cann got a SR with a destroyed team, next season the team is still destroyed but with many new and talented freshmen and dependable sophomores

Given that he won't have home games for a while, 2018 is a another rough ride.

2019, it's all Cannizzaro players and TJs will all be producing or playing in the SoCon. 2019 and 2020 is our year, but Cann might be 0-8 against LSU by then

bulldogcountry1
06-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Can anybody answer this?

That's where I'm coming from. Who is really available at this point?

How are you going to upgrade talent level AND end up with guys who are the type of player you want?

msstate7
06-23-2017, 09:26 PM
It may not have been our choice on some of these departures

The Federalist Engineer
06-23-2017, 09:50 PM
The Mitchell Miller Question:

MM was a PG-10 recruit in 2016 that we released to Clemson because he did not want be at MSU after signing day...wonder if Cann is expecting many non-signees to actually show up on campus.

Seriously - Miller, Coffers, Goldwater, and Whitman all signed in 2016 and all are somewhere else without ever playing or practicing for us. All these dudes are probably dead weight to an SEC team - except maybe Miller

The point is - expect some volatility in the behavior of signees flocking to MSUs void of upper classmen pitchers.

Jack Lambert
06-23-2017, 10:07 PM

Damn shame some one lose their one half book scholarship.

I seen it dawg
06-23-2017, 11:02 PM
I don't think some ****ers on here have a grasp of what we now have leading our baseball program. So the speculation coming from said ****ers should be flushed down the toilet along with them.

HoopsDawg
06-23-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't think some ****ers on here have a grasp of what we now have leading our baseball program. So the speculation coming from said ****ers should be flushed down the toilet along with them.

Not a coach in the country I would rather play for than Cann.

msstate7
06-23-2017, 11:49 PM
Plumlee is the one that makes no sense to me.

Plumlee...
4.01 era 1.38 whip 8.64 h/9 3.77 bb/9 6.57 k/9

France...
3.84 era 1.35 whip 9.38 h/9 2.81 bb/9 6.84 k/9

Their stats are basically the same and plumlee did it vs better competition while adjusting from juco.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:19 AM
Plumlee is the one that makes no sense to me.

Plumlee...
4.01 era 1.38 whip 8.64 h/9 3.77 bb/9 6.57 k/9

France...
3.84 era 1.35 whip 9.38 h/9 2.81 bb/9 6.84 k/9

Their stats are basically the same and plumlee did it vs better competition while adjusting from juco.

I don't think Plumlee was let go to make room for France. At any rate, France was statistically Tulane's best starter and had an ERA of 5 something at one point during the season when Tulane was struggling and got it down to the three's. France had more quality starts than Plumlee and I'm pretty sure France allowed fewer grand slams without looking than Plumlee. Relief pitchers tend to have lower ERA's and higher K rates than starting pitchers. That's why no one compares Mariano Rivera to Randy Johnson. And yet Plumlee has worse stats across the board than France.

France has a good chance to start for us and probably will. Plumlee does not. Tulane's pitching staff ERA's look like ours when Russ McNickle was the pitching coach- and France had the best stats on the team. Someone like Gary Henderson will get him back on track.

France was also offered money to sign out of high school. I don't believe Plumlee was.

And who knows? Maybe Cann told Plumlee that he would have to be a bullpen guy because he was better there and Plumlee wanted to start and left because of that.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:26 AM
The Mitchell Miller Question:

MM was a PG-10 recruit in 2016 that we released to Clemson because he did not want be at MSU after signing day...wonder if Cann is expecting many non-signees to actually show up on campus.

Seriously - Miller, Coffers, Goldwater, and Whitman all signed in 2016 and all are somewhere else without ever playing or practicing for us. All these dudes are probably dead weight to an SEC team - except maybe Miller

The point is - expect some volatility in the behavior of signees flocking to MSUs void of upper classmen pitchers.

Whitman is pitching for Auburn I think? To me, and I usually don't say this too much- but what Miller did to us was pretty shitty. You stay committed and apparently the whole time you're trying to leverage a scholarship from Clemson. Which is fine- but if you're going to do that go ahead and de-commit in May so that whatever school you are committed to can give someone else that scholarship. Don't wait until August when it's time to report to do it.

Coffers had some family issues in Florida if I remember correctly and that was why he bailed on us.

Goldwater was here in the fall and struggled so I'm pretty sure he would not have contributed much if anything.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:30 AM
I don't think Plumlee was let go to make room for France. At any rate, France was statistically Tulane's best starter and had an ERA of 5 something at one point during the season when Tulane was struggling and got it down to the three's. France had more quality starts than Plumlee and I'm pretty sure France allowed fewer grand slams without looking than Plumlee. Relief pitchers tend to have lower ERA's and higher K rates than starting pitchers. That's why no one compares Mariano Rivera to Randy Johnson. And yet Plumlee has worse stats across the board than France.

France has a good chance to start for us and probably will. Plumlee does not. Tulane's pitching staff ERA's look like ours when Russ McNickle was the pitching coach- and France had the best stats on the team. Someone like Gary Henderson will get him back on track.

France was also offered money to sign out of high school. I don't believe Plumlee was.

And who knows? Maybe Cann told Plumlee that he would have to be a bullpen guy because he was better there and Plumlee wanted to start and left because of that.

I'm not saying I choose plumlee over France. I want both. Plumlee wasn't always a reliever... he had 8 starts to france's 15. Plumlee was very good early in the year till the sec roughed him up some. I would've really liked having these 2 battle it out for Sunday starter with the other perhaps being midweek guy.

I think you could be on to something with plumlee being told he's a reliever. If so, I'd rather have given him chance to win a spot. Oh well...

Not sure what France being offered money out of HS means though when he wasn't drafted earlier this month.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:33 AM

Yep. And people need to understand that guys like Plumlee and Jolly were only playing because of massive injuries to our pitching staff and would not have normally been carrying the workload that they did for us. With everyone getting healthy their playing time was going to diminish.

And one thing I've noticed is a lot of these guys were JUCO guys. Which tells me that we're shifting away from relying on JUCO's so heavily.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 12:39 AM

There was a D1 pod cast with Cann that provides a glimpse into the type of players Cann wants to have. Key word is "make up". We use the term "mental midget" on this board. The "midgets" can't play for Cann.

Also, if your coach is a workout warrior ... he wants that type of player too. Cann probably reviewed with the strength coach about who is committed and who is not.

Basically our coach is Leonidas from the 300

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:41 AM
Has there been any word on the TJ boys? With massive turnover with the guys who played, gotta figure there will be turnover on the TJ crew also

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:46 AM
That's where I'm coming from. Who is really available at this point?

How are you going to upgrade talent level AND end up with guys who are the type of player you want?

Their scholarships are probably going to be used at least some with the guys we are bringing in 2018 if I had to guess. That's where we are going to add the talent in at.

Here's the reality with our pitching staff:

Rotation candidates- Pilkington (lock), Ashcraft, McQuary, France, Billingsley, and maybe Cole Gordon. Obviously the guys that make it will be moved to the bullpen and Gordon may be much better there anyway.

Primary bullpen guys- Price, Self, Leibelt, Barlow, and Blake Smith. Probably Cole Marsh and Chad Bryant as well. And then as I said you have the guys who don't get spots added to the bullpen. Plus the Tommy John guys that are healthy.

So as you see that's how a guy like a Plumlee or a Jolly who pitched a lot gets pushed down. Rigby is leaving because he is not getting along with Henderson. I think he's a good pitcher and he could help us but I think the odds are high that there could be problems if he feels strongly about Henderson and can't patch things up. Mahoney has been hurt from Tommy John and it doesn't look like he will recover from it. Cann has had issues with Bragg's practice habits for awhile so if he leaves it would shock no one. Blaylock per rumor has an arm injury. I'm not sure what his long range plan is since he still has a JUCO option if he wants to take it and maybe be a DH for a year with Northwest CC or someone like that and then return or if he's just gone which is likely the case.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:48 AM
I'm not saying I choose plumlee over France. I want both. Plumlee wasn't always a reliever... he had 8 starts to france's 15. Plumlee was very good early in the year till the sec roughed him up some. I would've really liked having these 2 battle it out for Sunday starter with the other perhaps being midweek guy.

I think you could be on to something with plumlee being told he's a reliever. If so, I'd rather have given him chance to win a spot. Oh well...

Not sure what France being offered money out of HS means though when he wasn't drafted earlier this month.

Exactly. And France has a history of beating people like LSU and USM as a starter.

If we don't think Plumlee has a chance to start, it would be doing both MSU and Plumlee a disservice. Now we can use his scholarship if he had one and now Plumlee can go wherever and have a legit chance to start.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:52 AM
Has there been any word on the TJ boys? With massive turnover with the guys who played, gotta figure there will be turnover on the TJ crew also

Hughes has started to pitch in the Summer League ball and has struggled like Ford has at a similar point in the recovery process. That's not surprising or discouraging to me. Cann is going to be more patient with them than someone like Trey Jolly. A lot of those guys have higher ceilings and could help us out big time in 2019 if we allow them to recover. We'll only cut them if they either choose to leave on their own or if they get to the end point of the recovery process and look like Andrew Mahoney did.

Next season is the recovery year for most of the Tommy John guys- and expecting major contributions from them for 2018 is not very realistic at this point.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:56 AM
There was a D1 pod cast with Cann that provides a glimpse into the type of players Cann wants to have. Key word is "make up". We use the term "mental midget" on this board. The "midgets" can't play for Cann.

Also, if your coach is a workout warrior ... he wants that type of player too. Cann probably reviewed with the strength coach about who is committed and who is not.

Basically our coach is Leonidas from the 300

Here's the thing that sometimes gets forgotten:

Our guys didn't have a chance to go through an entire offseason workout program with Cann. I know we did do some Navy SEAL type stuff after he was hired. That's probably a preview of what's to come for our guys.

Cann said that he didn't mess with our players swings too much because of the timing from when he came in. That gives me some encouragement that we may see a jump with guys like LA and Poole. And that others like Stovall and Mangum may take their game to the next level.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 01:01 AM
Their scholarships are probably going to be used at least some with the guys we are bringing in 2018 if I had to guess. That's where we are going to add the talent in at.

Here's the reality with our pitching staff:

Rotation candidates- Pilkington (lock), Ashcraft, McQuary, France, Billingsley, and maybe Cole Gordon. Obviously the guys that make it will be moved to the bullpen and Gordon may be much better there anyway.

Primary bullpen guys- Price, Self, Leibelt, Barlow, and Blake Smith. Probably Cole Marsh and Chad Bryant as well. And then as I said you have the guys who don't get spots added to the bullpen. Plus the Tommy John guys that are healthy.

So as you see that's how a guy like a Plumlee or a Jolly who pitched a lot gets pushed down. Rigby is leaving because he is not getting along with Henderson. I think he's a good pitcher and he could help us but I think the odds are high that there could be problems if he feels strongly about Henderson and can't patch things up. Mahoney has been hurt from Tommy John and it doesn't look like he will recover from it. Cann has had issues with Bragg's practice habits for awhile so if he leaves it would shock no one. Blaylock per rumor has an arm injury. I'm not sure what his long range plan is since he still has a JUCO option if he wants to take it and maybe be a DH for a year with Northwest CC or someone like that and then return or if he's just gone which is likely the case.

I definetely like pilk (obviously), McQ, and ashcraft's stuff better than plumlee's. I think plumlee and France are probably pretty equal. I think billingsley becomes a reliever and a pretty dang good one. I think Cole will be a reliever.

Assuming they all make a big jump this summer and fall, I'd like...

Friday -- pilk
Sat -- Ashcraft
Sunday/midweek -- McQ/France

I think Barlow, billingsley, price, smith, and self give us a damn good pen. Really hope small can give us another lh reliever with big time velocity

If we go anywhere next season, I think it's on the pitching staff's back and I think that back has a chance to be really strong

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 01:34 AM
I definetely like pilk (obviously), McQ, and ashcraft's stuff better than plumlee's. I think plumlee and France are probably pretty equal. I think billingsley becomes a reliever and a pretty dang good one. I think Cole will be a reliever.

Assuming they all make a big jump this summer and fall, I'd like...

Friday -- pilk
Sat -- Ashcraft
Sunday/midweek -- McQ/France

I think Barlow, billingsley, price, smith, and self give us a damn good pen. Really hope small can give us another lh reliever with big time velocity

If we go anywhere next season, I think it's on the pitching staff's back and I think that back has a chance to be really strong

France is better than Plumlee. He would have been our number two guy this year and would have helped us out a lot. I think Billingsley ends up starting. He finished the year strong aside from the SR and playing in the Cape should help him. I just hope Ashcraft and McQuary progress enough to move guys back.

I think we're going to rely on some freshmen on offense and we see how that went with Ole Miss. Although I think our hitters are better than theirs relative to each other. We'll miss Rooker and Cody Brown a lot obviously. We don't have any seniors and that's a problem too.

I've heard that we have 24 home games as of now- and that doesn't include the Shriner's Classic Games in Houston, the two in Pearl that we play every year and if I had to make an educated guess, we're probably playing at least one game in Biloxi next year. That should help make our schedule be a little bit better. I hope someone in our AD that does scheduling has enough sense to schedule a couple more games in Pearl and Biloxi next year so that we don't have as many true road games.

RAYn_Man
06-24-2017, 06:15 AM
Plumlee wasn't let go for his on-field performance.

JDog13
06-24-2017, 06:28 AM
He was let go last week.

It was a bad joke

msstate7
06-24-2017, 06:49 AM

That makes a lot more sense

Bully13
06-24-2017, 07:41 AM

What happened?

lamont
06-24-2017, 08:48 AM
There has been a change in work ethic as well as a no drugs allowed policy. People that cant adhere to both of those are eliminated from the team.

Mobile Bay
06-24-2017, 08:50 AM
This is normal, let the process happen. Cann got a SR with a destroyed team, next season the team is still destroyed but with many new and talented freshmen and dependable sophomores

Given that he won't have home games for a while, 2018 is a another rough ride.

2019, it's all Cannizzaro players and TJs will all be producing or playing in the SoCon. 2019 and 2020 is our year, but Cann might be 0-8 against LSU by then

What are the plans for games next year. I can't find a 2018 schedule

Randolph Dupree
06-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Ford is still In the mix but the other guys on the previously mentioned list are out. Primarily work ethic and off field related.

Maroonandwhite
06-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Rigby's situation is very unfortunate. I hate to see him go. I think the carousel of pitching coaches and then the change of head coach just caught him. He seemed pretty solid last year. Henderson and he evidently must've butted heads immediately. Henderson is supposedly the opposite personality-wise from Wes Johnson. Different strokes for different folks. Senior leadership will definitely be lacking next season.

A good friend of mine's son (bullpen pitcher) got caught in a similar situation when Norm DeBriyn retired and Dave Van Horn became HC at AR. New coaches want their guys.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Ford is still In the mix but the other guys on the previously mentioned list are out. Primarily work ethic and off field related.

If our major 2015 recruits like: Ford, Small, Padgett, and Hughes are producers next season, this changes everything. All will be 18 months post-TJ. Hughes and Ford are even doing summer ball. LSU and TCU have many 1-year TJs that comeback nice and sharp.

louisvilledawg
06-24-2017, 10:42 AM
He was let go last week.

That was the joke, Ted.

JDog, ultimate troll.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Really?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-24-2017, 11:15 AM
There has been a change in work ethic as well as a no drugs allowed policy. People that cant adhere to both of those are eliminated from the team.

THIS!!!! And I got persecuted a couple weeks ago for stating this about certain players.

CadaverDawg
06-24-2017, 11:26 AM
THIS!!!! And I got persecuted a couple weeks ago for stating this about certain players.

Bc you mentioned players by name and speculated drug use.

JimmyMcNulty
06-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Plumlee failed his NCAA Super Regional drug test and is suspended by the NCAA for 365 days from that date. Let's just say Plum liked to hit the ski slopes. AC is cleaning up this shit and he won't be the last.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Plumlee failed his NCAA Super Regional drug test and is suspended by the NCAA for 365 days from that date. Let's just say Plum liked to hit the ski slopes. AC is cleaning up this shit and he won't be the last.

And we allowed him to play anyway? Or did the results come back after the SR?

CadaverDawg
06-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Glad to hear Ford won't be leaving. I thought he got better and better the more he pitched late in the year. A good summer and fall could lead to him being a big contributor in '18. We know he has the stuff, if he can get that fastball back to 91+ consistently I think he'll be fine

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Yes "skiing" is quite the problem on our baseball team.

JimmyMcNulty
06-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Results just came in this past week.

Randolph Dupree
06-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Glad to hear Ford won't be leaving. I thought he got better and better the more he pitched late in the year. A good summer and fall could lead to him being a big contributor in '18. We know he has the stuff, if he can get that fastball back to 91+ consistently I think he'll be fine

His last game of the season he consistently hit 87 and his velocity is above that now. He had a decent outing in his summer league game but struggled a little with control. I think his biggest problem right now is just mental...afraid of hurting it again. I've read where being afraid to just let it fly can be an issue for some, they just have to get past it. Hugh's has pitched some too and appears to have a control problem right now.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:22 PM
His last game of the season he consistently hit 87 and his velocity is above that now. He had a decent outing in his summer league game but struggled a little with control. I think his biggest problem right now is just mental...afraid of hurting it again. I've read where being afraid to just let it fly can be an issue for some, they just have to get past it. Hugh's has pitched some too and appears to have a control problem right now.

What's up with small? I desperately want a high velocity lh reliever

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:30 PM
What's up with small? I desperately want a high velocity lh reliever

Put up post of himself throwing on Instagram about two weeks ago. He's not at the 12 month mark yet.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Put up post of himself throwing on Instagram about two weeks ago. He's not at the 12 month mark yet.

Thanks. Hopefully he can give us something this year

confucius say
06-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Results just came in this past week.

Was it a surprise test or smn?? If not, what a freaking moron.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Was it a surprise test or smn?? If not, what a freaking moron.

Hey if your coach sent you into a bases loaded jam every game, you'd need something to mellow you out haha

I seen it dawg
06-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Accountability. To yourself and the program. No discussion or negotiation on the fact. Work your ass off and no drugs. Real ****ing simple. You can't do that there are hundreds of players that would love to have the spot and will adhere to program policy. It's not real hard.

And if you don't like it get the **** out. Before I get out of my chair.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Hey if your coach sent you into a bases loaded jam every game, you'd need something to mellow you out haha

365 days for Marijuana? Oklahoma would not have a football team if this was the NCAA penalty. You can rape, slap, and brutalize women in the Big-12 without facing more than a one-game suspension.

Or is 365 the Cannazaro penalty? If so, I support my coach. Gotta drive a culture of excellence and set high standards.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Yep.... this ain't Ole Miss Football here.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 01:45 PM
365 days for Marijuana? Oklahoma would not have a football team if this was the NCAA penalty. You can rape, slap, and brutalize women in the Big-12 without facing more than a one-game suspension.

Or is 365 the Cannazaro penalty? If so, I support my coach. Gotta drive a culture of excellence and set high standards.

Sounds pretty rough. I doubt you could find 45 clean players on any sec football team

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 01:53 PM
45! I think at LSU it would be 4 or 5

lamont
06-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Sounds pretty rough. I doubt you could find 45 clean players on any sec football team

you can at State...we are about 2/3 passing the test most times

msstate7
06-24-2017, 02:00 PM
45! I think at LSU it would be 4 or 5

I figured a bunch switched to spice to best drug tests

msstate7
06-24-2017, 02:01 PM
you can at State...we are about 2/3 passing the test most times

I suppose the 1/3 aren't getting suspended a year. That's pretty good rate by our team though

lamont
06-24-2017, 02:19 PM
I suppose the 1/3 aren't getting suspended a year. That's pretty good rate by our team though

We are even higher on the NCAA test they know about. I was talking about surprise tests

Bully13
06-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Anybody got any MLB stats on weed suspensions?

maroonmania
06-24-2017, 02:48 PM

I thought all of this was getting changed when Cohen took over from Polk. Well, the work ethic part anyway. Had Cohen been letting everything go soft the last few years?

lamont
06-24-2017, 02:52 PM
I thought all of this was getting changed when Cohen took over from Polk. Well, the work ethic part anyway. Had Cohen been letting everything go soft the last few years?

yes

MoonShot
06-24-2017, 02:54 PM
I'm sure most of you are aware that players and parents read this forum. Mainly to see what new rumors you guys have come up with or just loooking for a cheap laugh. Regardless, most of you are so quick to dog out some of the very guys you should want around this program. The majority of these guys have worked their entire life just for the chance to put that State uniform on and I'm pretty sure most of you could really careless what they're dealing with or going through as long as they produce great entertainment for you. One thing I've learned from reading this ED forum is you guys are real quick to praise and tout the very players that are most likely to embarrass this program one day if their issues were ever brought to light.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm sure most of you are aware that players and parents read this forum. Mainly to see what new rumors you guys have come up with or just loooking for a cheap laugh. Regardless, most of you are so quick to dog out some of the very guys you should want around this program. The majority of these guys have worked their entire life just for the chance to put that State uniform on and I'm pretty sure most of you could really careless what they're dealing with or going through as long as they produce great entertainment for you. One thing I've learned from reading this ED forum is you guys are real quick to praise and tout the very players that are most likely to embarrass this program one day if their issues were ever brought to light.

If they have "issues" I don't want their ass here. I don't give a shit what they do on the field. And at this point they are big boys, or should be, so they shouldn't worry about what some asshole types on this board. And as far as the parents go....well...

msstate7
06-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Like who? Give us details haha

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 03:03 PM

Are you saying that Brent Rooker smokes pot?

I seen it dawg
06-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Well players and parents if you are reading...

Handle your business and abide by the program rules that our head coach sets forth and you will be successful. If not then hit the ****ing bricks. How bout that? Simple enough?

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-24-2017, 03:23 PM
That was the joke, Ted.

JDog, ultimate troll.

Well Bob, lame ass joke.

Bob, ultimate lame joke troll evaluator.

Commercecomet24
06-24-2017, 03:27 PM

Handle your business and abide by the program rules that our head coach sets forth and you will be successful. If not then hit the ****ing bricks. How bout that? Simple enough?

+1000

MoonShot
06-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Are you saying that Brent Rooker smokes pot?

The best of my knowledge Rooker is as great as they come and deserves every bit of success he gets. I'll be honest, you seem to know more than the average poster on this board and with that being said you have to know that there are bigger issues than an occasional joint. And yes, there are plenty of great, hardworking guys that adhere to the rules. Then there are those that don't and I guess they'll either get away with it or it'll catch up with them eventually. We'll see.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 04:08 PM
The best of my knowledge Rooker is as great as they come and deserves every bit of success he gets. I'll be honest, you seem to know more than the average poster on this board and with that being said you have to know that there are bigger issues than an occasional joint. And yes, there are plenty of great, hardworking guys that adhere to the rules. Then there are those that don't and I guess they'll either get away with it or it'll catch up with them eventually. We'll see.

I agree. I was just joking about Rooker.

Bully13
06-24-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm not staying smoking pot is good but I do believe some of the penalties can be excessive. Hate to break it to some of you but there's a lot of productive MLB players these days that smoke weed.

Here's an article on the subject that portrays a more enlightened and modern day opinion on baseball and pot.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/major-league-baseball-and-marijuana-121116

preachermatt83
06-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Hi Mr Plumblee.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm not staying smoking pot is good but I do believe some of the penalties can be excessive. Hate to break it to some of you but there's a lot of productive MLB players these days that smoke weed.

Here's an article on the subject that portrays a more enlightened and modern day opinion on baseball and pot.

I could care less what guys do. But until it's legal in college and MLB then it's dumb to do it and chance a failed test. Once it becomes legal then do whatever the **** you want. Until then don't do it.

bulldogcountry1
06-24-2017, 04:40 PM

I started wondering the same as I got deeper into this thread. Sounds like the Intense Bastard went soft on us. I recall someone here talking about how he had sold his soul a bit last year to get us back on top. Seemed ridiculous, but you look at a guy like Marrero, and he's got clubhouse cancer written all over him. I wondered what else was going on. We got part of our answer when Marrero was suspended, and the rest of the story is coming out. Kinda makes me lose some respect for Cohen and appreciate Cann even more.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Ross Mitchell - The horrible senior year

I think the consensus opinion was that the new baseball ruined his previous advantages and ball movement. But, the kid himself looked ragged by his senior season. In appearance he went from a citizen of Mayberry to a Austin Texas fried brain.

Wonder if the Cohen party culture ruined Mitchell and consequently the entire 2015 season.

Bully13
06-24-2017, 04:49 PM
I could care less what guys do. But until it's legal in college and MLB then it's dumb to do it and chance a failed test. Once it becomes legal then do whatever the **** you want. Until then don't do it.

Not bad advice. I just hope our pot polices are consistent with other SEC programs. I Will also admit to being more concerned with us winning than how many players who smoke weed.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 04:53 PM

I think the consensus opinion was that the new baseball ruined his previous advantages and ball movement. But, the kid himself looked ragged by his senior season. In appearance he went from a citizen of Mayberry to a Austin Texas fried brain.

Wonder if the Cohen party culture ruined Mitchell and consequently the entire 2015 season.

Y'all just running with it, aren't ya? Haha

If our "party culture" led to a sec championship and a national seed last year, I hope we keep it

preachermatt83
06-24-2017, 05:08 PM

Ross Mitchell wasn't anything close to a party animal. While many were out partying, Ross was sharing the gospel.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Y'all just running with it, aren't ya? Haha

If our "party culture" led to a sec championship and a national seed last year, I hope we keep it

delete - I'm just mad about LSU today

msstate7
06-24-2017, 05:33 PM
He was just lucky that he found Kruger and Lowe on the waiver wire. That whole 2015 team was accidental, no design at all. We were expecting total implosion to start the year and it was supposed to be JCs last season unless he won 16 games.

Yep, JC's expectations were so low in 2016, he needed to make a Regional and it was not clear that we could.

Was he lucky on sexton, hump, Collins, rooker, pilk, and Hudson too?

AROB44
06-24-2017, 05:34 PM
How long are some of you on here going to keep trashing Cohen? I know that is the MSU thing to do...eat our own...but damn..he was a damn good coach and will be a good AD.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2017, 05:35 PM

I'm not thinking right today, I blame my jealousy of LSU today

msstate7
06-24-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm not thinking right today, I blame jealousy of LSU

Understandable haha

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 06:02 PM
I started wondering the same as I got deeper into this thread. Sounds like the Intense Bastard went soft on us. I recall someone here talking about how he had sold his soul a bit last year to get us back on top. Seemed ridiculous, but you look at a guy like Marrero, and he's got clubhouse cancer written all over him. I wondered what else was going on. We got part of our answer when Marrero was suspended, and the rest of the story is coming out. Kinda makes me lose some respect for Cohen and appreciate Cann even more.

I think he may have went soft or at least lost his interest in coaching baseball is probably more accurate to say. But to his credit- he at least stepped down instead of turning our program into a dumpster fire and he hired a great coach to replace him and left him enough talent to make a SR. So, we're in pretty good shape right now. And a lot of that is because of Cohen. He also knew to hire Cannizaro and he orchestrated that at apparently Def-Con 5 level.

Maybe the selling his soul part was referring to hiring a pitching coach that he knew wouldn't stay here for long. The story about him going after Nate Lowe after we got swept in 2015 by Tennessee to have a losing season is legendary in some ways- and tells me that he still cared on some level at least.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 06:06 PM

I'm not saying who did and who didn't smoke pot in 2015 because I don't know- but lack of discipline applies to other areas besides drug use. I think the general lack of discipline probably affected the 2015 team a lot. In whatever ways that manifests itself.

I think Cohen also realized or was starting to realize that to get to Vandy, Florida, LSU levels of talent he was going to have to hire someone with a MLB scouting background. Because what he was doing wasn't quite cutting it to that elite level.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 06:08 PM

I think a lot of those guys came in before Cohen started to get burned out. It probably would have been a gradual decline. But it's one we won't get to experience now!

MoonShot
06-24-2017, 08:08 PM

You make playing at this level sound so easy. If only handling your business and abiding by the rules worked all the time. Plenty of outstanding athletes get into high level programs and aren't successful just.by following these simple rules.

Homedawg
06-24-2017, 08:34 PM
You make playing at this level sound so easy. If only handling your business and abiding by the rules worked all the time. Plenty of outstanding athletes get into high level programs and aren't successful just.by following these simple rules.

Playing at this level isn't easy. Following some simple rules, should be. I know. Been there done that. Does that mean they all follow the rules? Nope. But doesn't make it less important.

confucius say
06-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Think He was speaking towards staying in line off the field. Not guaranteeing doing so would make you a success on the field.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2017, 09:45 PM

Come on give me a break I know it's not the end all be all of being successful AS A PLAYER. It's the context of this conversation though where this is appropriate. So you're gonna argue that players should be cut slack if they struggle with the rules a little? Is that what you're saying?

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 10:11 PM
It does seem to me like our fans in general are more quick to defend our baseball players than the other athletes at MSU. It seems like it has been that way for years though. I'm not sure why. It always seemed a little odd to me.

Maybe that's just my perception though.

ZedFedder
06-24-2017, 10:53 PM
It's not, Todd. I think my tendency as a white guy is to be racist about it. Baseball players are mostly white, so that means they are kids who made a "bad decision", where black football players are "thugs". But truly there isn't hardly a difference. I am praying for God to guard me against such a tragic view. But it's the natural route for many of us, sadly.

hailstate17
06-24-2017, 10:55 PM
Guys, Cohen took us to a natty and won the sec for the first time in 25 years. He was not a scrub. In this league, the difference between first and last is really small. See Arkansas last year to this year. Cohen ran a really tight ship on the field.If you don't believe me ask the people who played for him. His players were hard nosed and tough. He may let a little slide off the field as long you brought it everyday on the field.. Every coach is different which is why we're seeing turnover. Cannizaro wants his guys. Cannizaro and Cohen are both great baseball minds but think in much different ways. Some of y'all act like Cohen was Rick Ray or Croom.

HSVDawg
06-25-2017, 12:24 AM

Not that it really matters which one it was, but there is a lot of conflicting info in this thread on the actual drug of choice. "Hittin the slopes" and smoking weed ain't even close to the same thing.

BeardoMSU
06-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Hate to break it to some of you but there's a lot of productive MLB players these days that smoke weed.

Not only that, but there are millions of productive people at every level of society that smoke weed....professors, engineers, police officers, high school teachers, bankers, plumbers, etc. It's ubiquitous in American culture.

Now, hitting slopes, bumpin' rails, bangin' bars, etc.....or free-base'n....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVKtxHTcnho

...or doing heroin? Not as much production coming out of those people....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-25-2017, 12:33 AM
Not that it really matters which one it was, but there is a lot of conflicting info in this thread on the actual drug of choice. "Hittin the slopes" and smoking weed ain't even close to the same thing.

You are right..and weed is not the problem.

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Hey Mods: this whole thread needs to be deleted because it's too depressing and I look more stupid than usual with what I posted.

I look forward to Cannizzaro shaping the program and roster for championships but people like me messed up the conversation and made it too negative. Meanwhile in Gainesville and Baton Rouge they are dreaming of a title by the end of the work week.

Bully13
06-25-2017, 04:36 AM
Not only that, but there are millions of productive people at every level of society that smoke weed....professors, engineers, police officers, high school teachers, bankers, plumbers, etc. It's ubiquitous in American culture.

Yep. Lol at "hitting the slopes" though. I never saw that reference before today, thought it was a CO reference therefore I was thinking weed. Lol. By the way, what the hell DOES it mean?

confucius say
06-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Yep. Lol at "hitting the slopes" though. I never saw that reference before today, thought it was a CO reference therefore I was thinking weed. Lol. By the way, what the hell DOES it mean?

Cocaine right? Powder, not crack.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Hey Mods: this whole thread needs to be deleted because it's too depressing and I look more stupid than usual with what I posted.

I look forward to Cannizzaro shaping the program and roster for championships but people like me messed up the conversation and made it too negative. Meanwhile in Gainesville and Baton Rouge they are dreaming of a title by the end of the work week.

Oh shit no

starkvegasdawg
06-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Not going to ask where you found this. I laughed, though.

HSVDawg
06-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Cocaine right? Powder, not crack.

That is correct. We'd have some serious issues if anyone on the baseball team was doing crack...haha. That's not exactly a typical college student's go-to fix.

Bully13
06-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Me too, LMAO

DownwardDawg
06-25-2017, 12:38 PM

One of the oldest videos on the interwebs.

DownwardDawg
06-25-2017, 12:40 PM
It's not, Todd. I think my tendency as a white guy is to be racist about it. Baseball players are mostly white, so that means they are kids who made a "bad decision", where black football players are "thugs". But truly there isn't hardly a difference. I am praying for God to guard me against such a tragic view. But it's the natural route for many of us, sadly.

Good grief man. Way to jump off the cliff.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Blaylock announced on twitter he's moving on.

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Good grief man. Way to jump off the cliff.

This thread is just laughs for lurking rebels. Just delete and save us all.

Thick
06-25-2017, 04:09 PM
Hearing Rigby, Plumlee, Blaylock (confirmed), and Mahoney.