PDA

View Full Version : Team Notes from Today's Boneyard

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Steve isn't talking nvestigaycion today & is instead talking about the team.

Here are some highlights:

- Willie Gay & Kylin Hill will play

- Jamal Peters is currently the #3 corner

- Abram is currently the #3 safety.

- Montez Sweat is every thing we though he would be. He and Abram have earned the respect of the team

- Keith Mixon is the pick to click on offense according to people in the building

- Keytaon Thompson is popular on the team

-

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-23-2017, 04:42 PM
That's great to hear. I cant wait to see Willie & Kylin on the field. Sweat is a beast.

msstate7
06-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Kylin = no gibson?

Johnson85
06-23-2017, 04:55 PM

- Montez Sweat is every thing we though he would be. He and Abram have earned the respect of the team

- Keith Mixon is the pick to click on offense according to people in the building

-

So did he mention the ABram thing as a disappointing development? Does that mean Bryant and McLaurin are starting? Or JT Gray? Not sure how to take that.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Kylin = no gibson?

I think you are reading too much into this. Just said Kylin would play.

Who knows what role. Special team, kick return, etc

Covercorner2
06-23-2017, 05:23 PM

-

Who are the top 2 corners? If Peters isn't one of them, that is good news.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 05:24 PM
So did he mention the ABram thing as a disappointing development? Does that mean Bryant and McLaurin are starting? Or JT Gray? Not sure how to take that.

He said nothing else. Just said Abram was considered the #3 safety right now.

I was most surprised by Peters being the #3 corner. I figured he would make a jump. Maybe he will

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Who are the top 2 corners? If Peters isn't one of them, that is good news.

Cleveland & Dantzler maybe?

Ari Gold
06-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Abrams will play and play a lot
And don't be surprised if he is starting sooner than later .

RocketDawg
06-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Hard to believe it's almost football season again. Just a little over two months til the first game.

Everybody got their hotel reservations? I'll be staying in Columbus again at the Hyatt. A little off the beaten path but new and pretty nice.

Political Hack
06-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Can we please get something out of the kick return game? Our special teams will make or break this season.

WSOPdawg
06-23-2017, 06:52 PM
He said nothing else. Just said Abram was considered the #3 safety right now.

I was most surprised by Peters being the #3 corner. I figured he would make a jump. Maybe he will

Let's see, how can we "motivate" Peters? Let's list him as #3 CB and see if he raises his game a little.

lamont
06-23-2017, 06:56 PM

-

Gonna be hard to see Gay on anything but special teams this year. Hill the same. It takes a full year to learn how to pass block at State

Peters will start. He was #1 coming out of Spring- maybe the coaches are pissed at his work ethic the last couple months. Peters, Cleveland, Dantzler, and Durr will be the top 4 CB/s

Per a coach on our staff- Abrams is the best Safety we have. He will be the swing guy because he can play both Free and strong. Look for Bryant and Mac to start

Sweat may be one and done. He is that good. Green had a great Spring also. May see both of them on the field at the same time

Mixon is a weapon in the slot. He and Gray have to stay healthy. Far and away our best 2 WR's

Fitz is the big play- throw it deep guy. Athlete making Plus plays. Thompson is full-blooded QB. Thompson is an athletic West Coast type QB. He makes quick reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. Look for us to play him in more than just back-up time these next 2 years

Reason2succeed
06-23-2017, 07:44 PM
What would be cool with KT would be to give him about 15 up tempo plays that he could just come in at the middle of the 2nd quarter and run a no huddle right up the field on the defense.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 07:47 PM
What would be cool with KT would be to give him about 15 up tempo plays that he could just come in at the middle of the 2nd quarter and run a no huddle right up the field on the defense.

Hmmmm.

Depends on the matchup. Problem is that Fitz could take it 80 yards on next play. Hard to take him out if winning the game is your number 1 priority.

msstate7
06-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Hmmmm.

Depends on the matchup. Problem is that Fitz could take it 80 yards on next play. Hard to take him out if winning the game is your number 1 priority.

And we only have 1 backup. Playing both QBs in the same game could be playing with fire

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 07:56 PM
And we only have 1 backup. Playing both QBs in the same game could be playing with fire

I don't understand your logic here

msstate7
06-23-2017, 08:02 PM
I don't understand your logic here

We run KT out for a play and he happens to get injured, we have 1 qb. I can see the reverse thought though that if fitz gets hurt at least KT has a little experience. I just assume stick with 1 qb until a game is out of hand then bring in KT.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2017, 08:13 PM
We run KT out for a play and he happens to get injured, we have 1 qb. I can see the reverse thought though that if fitz gets hurt at least KT has a little experience. I just assume stick with 1 qb until a game is out of hand then bring in KT.

Yeah, but the play you leave Fitz in for that Key would've played, wouldn't Fitz have just a likely a chance to get hurt?

By not playing Key, your raising the chance Fitz gets hurt and by not playing Fitz, you raise the odds that Key gets hurt.

Key and Fitz are just as likely to get hurt per play as the other, so logically there is no difference in the chance of losing one of our 2 QBs. The only way we can lower risk is by playing a 3rd QB or taking Fitz out if he's banged up or tired, at which times he is more likely to get hurt than Key.

Reason2succeed
06-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Hmmmm.

Of course it all depends on the flow of the game. However there really never is a good time to sub in a QB other than in a blowout win or loss.

lamont
06-23-2017, 08:15 PM
We have a walk-on QB working #3...we good

msstate7
06-23-2017, 08:16 PM
We have a walk-on QB working #3...we good

The cali kid?

basedog
06-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Huh? Football is a contact sport, on any given play injuries can be a factor. Better get KT ready early, DM is known for playing two, a lot. Btw, KT is so talented, probably the best freshman QB we have eve recruited.

99jc
06-23-2017, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Random Poster;767155]Gonna be hard to see Gay on anything but special teams this year.

Don't know where you got that info from. I was told quite the opposite by a defensive coach.

lamont
06-23-2017, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Random Poster;767155]Gonna be hard to see Gay on anything but special teams this year.

Don't know where you got that info from. .

a defensive coach

Bulldogg31
06-23-2017, 09:19 PM
The cali kid?

Ronnie Bass?

maroonmania
06-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Huh? Football is a contact sport, on any given play injuries can be a factor. Better get KT ready early, DM is known for playing two, a lot. Btw, KT is so talented, probably the best freshman QB we have eve recruited.

Gay has a chance to play since he doesn't have to learn to pass block. Virtually no chance for Hill. Our RBs take at least 2 years to learn our pass blocking schemes from the backfield.

Dawgfan77
06-24-2017, 09:06 AM
Watched the A & M game yesterday. Amazing how that OL looked with Jenkins at LG and Williams at TB. Fitz is a beast running but if you watched his footwork he got better as they year went on passing. I believe that Williams Gibson and hill give us that needed physical backs and mixon will give us that speed option look. I think we are going to be better on O than we thought

Reason2succeed
06-24-2017, 09:23 AM
My concern on offense is finding consistency in pass catching. Donald Gray has to step up along with the rest of the WR. We need either Jamal Coach and/or Reggie Todd to become a consistent target. I would like to see multiple TE sets because I think our TEs are good pass catchers and will provide mismatches and they will also help the run blocking for AW and NF.

Political Hack
06-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Ronnie Bass?

That's his name now.

BeastMan
06-24-2017, 09:33 AM
If Cleveland starts over Peters, it will be the ultimate Mullen plays upperclassmen move in his tenure. Peters and Danzler will be the best CB combo since Slay/Banks.

Turfdawg67
06-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Gay has a chance to play since he doesn't have to learn to pass block. Virtually no chance for Hill. Our RBs take at least 2 years to learn our pass blocking schemes from the backfield.

Yawn. Let's keep a running total of how many times this is said through football season... that's 2 times in this thread alone.

Ari Gold
06-24-2017, 10:19 AM
I bet KH is 2nd behind AW in total carries and yards for a RB at years end.

DancingRabbit
06-24-2017, 11:02 AM
If Cleveland starts over Peters, it will be the ultimate Mullen plays upperclassmen move in his tenure. Peters and Danzler will be the best CB combo since Slay/Banks.

I'd be surprised if Dan is telling Grantham who to start at CB.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 11:24 AM
My concern on offense is finding consistency in pass catching. Donald Gray has to step up along with the rest of the WR. We need either Jamal Coach and/or Reggie Todd to become a consistent target. I would like to see multiple TE sets because I think our TEs are good pass catchers and will provide mismatches and they will also help the run blocking for AW and NF.

This is my concern as well. Gray has only proven to be a deep threat against OOC teams and that short CB for Arkansas. Couch and Todd both look pretty raw and I'm not sold on Gabe Myles being a consistent WR. It would be nice if Jesse Jackson is healthy and can contribute but no guarantee on that to say the least.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Watched the A & M game yesterday. Amazing how that OL looked with Jenkins at LG and Williams at TB. Fitz is a beast running but if you watched his footwork he got better as they year went on passing. I believe that Williams Gibson and hill give us that needed physical backs and mixon will give us that speed option look. I think we are going to be better on O than we thought

We need Brandon Hodge to come in and play at RT to make me feel better. Save us DJ Looney!

BuckyIsAB****
06-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Fitz is taking every snap at QB this fall in games. KT is good and his time will come, but Fitz has a chance to be special. Better than Dak special

msstate7
06-24-2017, 11:55 AM
This is my concern as well. Gray has only proven to be a deep threat against OOC teams and that short CB for Arkansas. Couch and Todd both look pretty raw and I'm not sold on Gabe Myles being a consistent WR. It would be nice if Jesse Jackson is healthy and can contribute but no guarantee on that to say the least.
Gray vs lsu '16 = 3 rec 86 yds 28.67/rec
Gray vs bama '16 = 3 rec 76 yds 25.33/rec

Vs lsu, fitz overthrew a wide open gray for a likely td twice.

Vs bama, fitz threw a perfect deep pass (30+ yds) that gray dropped despite having defender beat.

Sec games only...
23 catches 366 yds 15.91/rec (13th in sec)

Dawgfan77
06-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Let's talk Myles. In 14 as a RS freshman he played a key role when Lewis went down. In 15 gabe had big catches vs auburn lsu and A&M. Last year he had some issues or so it was said. I expect him to have a bounce back year. Kinda of the forgotten man

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Let's talk Myles. In 14 as a RS freshman he played a key role when Lewis went down. In 15 gabe had big catches vs auburn lsu and A&M. Last year he had some issues or so it was said. I expect him to have a bounce back year. Kinda of the forgotten man

He was slot in '15 and outside in '16. I'd like to see him back in the slot

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Vs bama, fitz threw a perfect deep pass (30+ yds) that gray dropped despite having defender beat.

Sec games only...

SEC totals include the Arkansas game. Most of his yards come after the catch. See the Egg Bowl. When he is dropping balls that hit him in the hands you are making my point for me.

And now without Ross he gets to deal with everyone's top CB. If we weren't almost as shitty at recruiting outside WR's he would be in the slot where he belongs.

msstate7
06-24-2017, 12:20 PM
SEC totals include the Arkansas game. Most of his yards come after the catch. See the Egg Bowl. When he is dropping balls that hit him in the hands you are making my point for me.

And now without Ross he gets to deal with everyone's top CB. If we weren't almost as shitty at recruiting outside WR's he would be in the slot where he belongs.

He's never played in the slot, so I don't why you say he belongs there. Ripping gray is ridiculous. The guy is a player

basedog
06-24-2017, 12:31 PM
He's never played in the slot, so I don't why you say he belongs there. Ripping gray is ridiculous. The guy is a player

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree! Bet he has a good year, dude is strong.

Todd4State
06-24-2017, 12:33 PM
I'm not ripping Gray. I'm ripping the coaches for having to put him there. Most WR's are capable of playing both slot and outside. It's not like he's moving from DE to slot WR or something. And I have seen him lined up in the slot some last year.

Just like I would rip Hevesy for playing Rankin at center. It doesn't mean I think Rankin sucks.

lamont
06-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Sec games only...

We lost 51-3 to Bama. He should be open against their their 3rd DB's

Gray was tied for 29th in the SEC in receptions in conference games only

lamont
06-24-2017, 01:27 PM
He was slot in '15 and outside in '16. I'd like to see him back in the slot

Mixon starts in the slot.

Really Clark?
06-24-2017, 01:32 PM

He was 19th in SEC only games for yards per game and 13th for yards per reception

msstate7
06-24-2017, 01:35 PM

19th in yards in sec games only. Yards per catch and total yards is much better stat to look at than receptions

msstate7
06-24-2017, 01:36 PM
He was 19th in SEC only games for yards per game and 13th for yards per reception

Yep. Useless though... random will argue more catches for less yards is better than less catches for more yards

lamont
06-24-2017, 01:37 PM
19th in yards in sec games only. Yards per catch and total yards is much better stat to look at than receptions

They are all part of the picture. Gray didnt even average 3 receptions per game in SEC play. 70 plays per Saturday and he touches the ball less than 3 times. Very little impact

lamont
06-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Yep. Useless though... random will argue more catches for less yards is better than less catches for more yards

Yes- give me Ross who had more catches for less yards per catch over Gray

msstate7
06-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Yes- give me Ross who had more catches for less yards per catch over Gray

He also had more total yards which you conveniently left off. How about these 2 WRs...

100 rec 400 yards
40 rec 600 yards

Which one you want?

Really Clark?
06-24-2017, 01:46 PM
They are all part of the picture. Gray didnt even average 3 receptions per game in SEC play. 70 plays per Saturday and he touches the ball less than 3 times. Very little impact

He was still a top 20 receiver in yards per game, that is the impact he gives you. He doesn't have to a 10 reception per game possession receiver, he has to give us 3-5 deep plays per game. I'm not saying he doesn't have to improve but his game is not the number of receptions he has, it's stretching the field. And the QB actual hits him a few more times last year and he is a Top 10-15 receiver last year.

Josh Reynolds caught 10 more SEC passes than Gray last year and finished 4th in yards per game. That is just 1.25 more catches for Gray per SEC game and that would put him easily in the Top 5-10. That is his game not the number of receptions.

Really Clark?
06-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Ross avg 5 catches per game in SEC play and only 2 players in the SEC avg more than 6 per SEC game. Gray had 2.9. He needs to catch 1.5 more per game this year and will be a Top 10 maybe Top 5 receiver in the SEC. His game doesn't lend itself to catching 7 per game (which no one avgeraged last year). 4-5 per game for with his avg per catch will be a threat and will have more yards than Ross.

maroonmania
06-24-2017, 02:59 PM
I'm not ripping Gray. I'm ripping the coaches for having to put him there. Most WR's are capable of playing both slot and outside. It's not like he's moving from DE to slot WR or something. And I have seen him lined up in the slot some last year.

Just like I would rip Hevesy for playing Rankin at center. It doesn't mean I think Rankin sucks.

The fact that Myles is likely going to have to be one of our starting WRs after the awful year he had last year tells you how bad our outside WR situation is.

lamont
06-24-2017, 03:18 PM
The fact that Myles is likely going to have to be one of our starting WRs after the awful year he had last year tells you how bad our outside WR situation is.

very good point

Mixon should really have a good year though.

BeardoMSU
06-24-2017, 03:39 PM

Hopefully we'll get more out of our TE's this year....

Dallas_Dawg
06-24-2017, 04:13 PM
When Myles was doing well, we got him involved on bubble screens and let his athleticism make plays. It got his confidence up. After the Auburn game in '14, we simply quit calling his number on those plays, he lost his confidence, etc.

RiverCityDawg
06-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Ross avg 5 catches per game in SEC play and only 2 players in the SEC avg more than 6 per SEC game. Gray had 2.9. He needs to catch 1.5 more per game this year and will be a Top 10 maybe Top 5 receiver in the SEC. His game doesn't lend itself to catching 7 per game (which no one avgeraged last year). 4-5 per game for with his avg per catch will be a threat and will have more yards than Ross.

Yep. And what's not even being mentioned is the fact that we had a first year starting QB who was still learning to be a passer, go through progressions, etc. That situation doesn't really lend itself to the number 2 WR getting a chance to make a huge impact. Gray will have a huge year from the outside.

Ari Gold
06-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Everyone is going to be very satisfied with the production we get from Couch and Todd.. and I bet Gabe has a solid year

lamont
06-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Everyone is going to be very satisfied with the production we get from Couch and Todd.. and I bet Gabe has a solid year

Will be shocked if Couch or Todd catches 20 passes in 2017

Dawgfan77
06-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Can couch have a Bear like sophomore year? Can Todd be a surprise? All I know is people I talked to last fall said Todd was the most talented WR on the three freshman last year and would have played. This was backed up by some in the media as well. But in fashion he got hurt and was RS. Our WR may not be world beaters but they will be middle pack of the sec. our TE will be really good. Thomas Green Jones and Johnson I expect us to look like Mizz in 07 when they flexed those TE and created miss matches with OLB and safety's.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Will be shocked if Couch or Todd catches 20 passes in 2017

You're gonna be shocked. 20 catches is nothing in todays game

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2017, 01:25 PM
Gabe had a bad year last yr but he's made plays. He's made plays in SEC games he will be okay

lamont
06-25-2017, 01:44 PM
You're gonna be shocked. 20 catches is nothing in todays game

We only had 3 guys that made at least 20 catches last year in 411 passes. After watching us throw 5 picks in the Spring game- not sure we need to throw more than that this year

Bothrops
06-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Todd is talented, but is green as they come and will need experience. Bama offered him.

lamont
06-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Todd is talented, but is green as they come and will need experience. Bama offered him.

agreed. He should have a good 2018

Really Clark?
06-25-2017, 03:34 PM
We only had 3 guys that made at least 20 catches last year in 411 passes. After watching us throw 5 picks in the Spring game- not sure we need to throw more than that this year

We had 4 last year catch over 20 passes and 72 receptions just graduated. They will be distributed around and we will still have 4-5 with 20+ receptions.

lamont
06-25-2017, 04:04 PM
We had 4 last year catch over 20 passes and .

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/344/mississippi-state-bulldogs

Ross 72
Gray 41
Dear 23

Really Clark?
06-25-2017, 04:10 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/344/mississippi-state-bulldogs

Ross 72
Gray 41
Dear 23

Mixon caught 20 as a Freshman. I said over 20 but meant 20 or more since your post I was responding to said at least 20. Holloway also caught 15 that has to be given elsewhere.

ATTILLA THE DOG
06-25-2017, 04:16 PM
i hope we run the ball 65 times a game and throw deep 3-4 times a game

Todd4State
06-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Mixon caught 20 as a Freshman. I said over 20 but meant 20 or more since your post I was responding to said at least 20. Holloway also caught 15 that has to be given elsewhere.

Hopefully Aeris and Lee will get Holloway's 15.

I don't think we're going to throw to TE's more. I think ultimately we'll just run it more.

Really Clark?
06-25-2017, 04:36 PM

I don't think we're going to throw to TE's more. I think ultimately we'll just run it more.

I think they get some of those as well but a few of those that he got down the field might go to a receiver/TE.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2017, 05:50 PM

We're stupid if we dont throw to our TE's this year. I am going to bitch my ass off if we dont. Just a fair warning