PDA

View Full Version : WR grad transfer out of louisville

craigmid
06-23-2017, 08:38 AM
It looks like we recruited him out of high school.

http://louisville.247sports.com/Bolt/Louisville-WR-announces-transfer-53259001

Cary Hudson's little bro
06-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Geez...he's played at Fork Union, TAMU and Louisville...

WinningIsRelentless
06-23-2017, 08:53 AM
12 catches in 2 years at Louisville. No thanks

craigmid
06-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Was injured last year.

lamont
06-23-2017, 09:21 AM
He would probably help us. Really hurt at WR

Pollodawg
06-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Geez...he's played at Fork Union, TAMU and Louisville...

Beggars can't be choosers.

HSVDawg
06-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Again, we have 6-7 open scholarships. There is no downside to us taking ANY grad transfer at ANY position if they have ever earned an FBS scholarship

craigmid
06-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Hmmm....He legally changed his name from Williams to Savage

CadaverDawg
06-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Anybody saying "no thanks", clearly has no clue about our current WR situation

QuadrupleOption
06-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Hey man, if he can be productive for us at all I say bring him in.

Irondawg
06-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Well we certainly have inside scoop if he's worth taking a chance on. Will see if we try to get him for a visit or not

HSVDawg
06-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Or our current scholarship situation.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Or our current scholarship situation.

Yep

craigmid
06-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Bump
IYOK, is he on our radar?

Jack Lambert
06-30-2017, 07:03 PM
I am pretty sure the coaches are aware of our current WR and Scholarship situation.

Bully13
06-30-2017, 07:20 PM
I miss bear. I miss tuff assed blocking WR 17ing going up grabbing it, taking the ball and fighting. **** wideouts, I want football players.

craigmid
06-30-2017, 07:41 PM
I miss bear. I miss tuff assed blocking WR 17ing going up grabbing it, taking the ball and fighting. **** wideouts, I want football players.

He's 6'3"

thf24
06-30-2017, 07:52 PM

He had to sit out one of those years.

State82
06-30-2017, 07:56 PM

Yep. Pretty much.

MetEdDawg
06-30-2017, 08:07 PM
I guess I'm still stunned anyone brings up grad transfers anymore. We all know how this story goes. They want playing time, we don't guarantee it, they go somewhere else, we get pissed.

Wash, rinse, repeat

Reason2succeed
06-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Not true. There no such thing as "can't hurt". Anything can hurt if there is a freak occurrence. Like dude could be a complete knucklehead or locker room cancer. He IS a WR. WRs have a exponentially higher chance of being a total d-bag.

Plus, I kind of want to see our young WRs forced into action because it will benefit us down the road. I'm not crazy about the grad transfer thing. JuCos with two years are bad enough. By the time most of them are really contributing at the max level they are out of eligibility. Our program is a development program. Our greatest success comes from redshirting guys and getting three or four years out of them instead of one or two.

We have WRs on our team but they are just young and unproven. Plus we have a butt load of TEs that obviously Mullen is planning on using somehow. I want to see these guys develop so that when NF is in his senior year or KT takes over we have an experienced receiving corp. Bringing in one year mercs doesn't totally derail this but it doesn't help either.

Reason2succeed
06-30-2017, 08:10 PM
I guess I'm still stunned anyone brings up grad transfers anymore. We all know how this story goes. They want playing time, we don't guarantee it, they go somewhere else, we get pissed.

Wash, rinse, repeat

Nor should we "guarantee" PT. That is an easy way to destroy the chemistry on a team.

MetEdDawg
06-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Nor should we "guarantee" PT. That is an easy way to destroy the chemistry on a team.

Maybe if we were consistently beating good teams I would agree. But we've had a few slip through that should have had playing time available to them that we lost out on that could have or would help us. We have been dreadful at CB recently and had a shot at a few WRs and have gotten none of them. Considering those are weak positions and unknowns for us this year, you have to give kids something they want to come to your university.

If we aren't going to offer playing time, we should literally never waste another breath about transfers. No transfer is going to go to our school if we don't give them a fairly guaranteed shot at playing time.

We all complain about not getting top talent, but then when some comes available via transfer we don't do things necessary to get that good talent.

Bully13
06-30-2017, 11:12 PM
We don't lie to croots like TSUN.

MetEdDawg
07-01-2017, 12:02 AM
We don't lie to croots like TSUN.

It doesn't have to be a lie. We could actually give them playing time. I guess I'm just confused as to how people think we will get any transfers without doing that. Mullen's job is to win games. Transfers can help us do that and when you have holes that can be filled, you need to do some things, like promise playing time, in order to fill holes and put your team in position to win.

Don't get me wrong. Love our approach for high school kids. But transfers, especially talented juniors or seniors, will never go to a school that says "you know, if you come in and work hard, we will just see where things shake out for you. We think maybe one day you could make the two deep and possibly start". Works great for 3 star high school kids. Not so much for kids who are giving up eligibility to leave a school or only have a year or two to play.

thf24
07-01-2017, 08:28 AM
We could actually give them playing time.

It's not as simple as just promising them "playing time." Unless you're a walk-on caliber player just looking for a victory lap at a bigger school, if you're a graduate transfer you're doing so with the intention of starting wherever you end up. That's what the vast majority of these guys are looking for: a guaranteed starting spot and the substantial playing time that comes with it. A D1 coach intending to put a competitive team on the field can't make that promise to a guy who's never stepped on the field for him with full intentions of keeping it at all costs. So yes, if you tell these guys what they want to hear then you're faced with potentially lying down the road if they don't live up to expectations, and we can't go around breaking promises all the time and expect our reputation not to suffer for it like the blue bloods can.

maroonmania
07-01-2017, 08:38 AM
It doesn't have to be a lie. We could actually give them playing time. I guess I'm just confused as to how people think we will get any transfers without doing that. Mullen's job is to win games. Transfers can help us do that and when you have holes that can be filled, you need to do some things, like promise playing time, in order to fill holes and put your team in position to win.

Don't get me wrong. Love our approach for high school kids. But transfers, especially talented juniors or seniors, will never go to a school that says "you know, if you come in and work hard, we will just see where things shake out for you. We think maybe one day you could make the two deep and possibly start". Works great for 3 star high school kids. Not so much for kids who are giving up eligibility to leave a school or only have a year or two to play.

Well if we can't guarantee someone playing time with this WR group we have then I guess it just can't be done.

Johnson85
07-01-2017, 04:10 PM
It's not as simple as just promising them "playing time." Unless you're a walk-on caliber player just looking for a victory lap at a bigger school, if you're a graduate transfer you're doing so with the intention of starting wherever you end up. That's what the vast majority of these guys are looking for: a guaranteed starting spot and the substantial playing time that comes with it. A D1 coach intending to put a competitive team on the field can't make that promise to a guy who's never stepped on the field for him with full intentions of keeping it at all costs. So yes, if you tell these guys what they want to hear then you're faced with potentially lying down the road if they don't live up to expectations, and we can't go around breaking promises all the time and expect our reputation not to suffer for it like the blue bloods can.

In et not being able to promise a tackle or a rb a starting now position, but we have tons of minutes available for WRs. If we think they'll actually be competitive to start, seems like we could give them a starting position and manage the minutes and targets the way that works best.

Lance Harbor
07-02-2017, 11:43 AM
This is reason enough to recruit him.

craigmid
07-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Just asked if he was on our radar.
I have confidence in our coaches. If he is not, then there is a reason.
Not sure if I would guarantee anyone playing time.