PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Playing Not To Lose But Losing Edition

Coach34
09-15-2013, 10:29 AM
1. Many of us wanted Dak and we got Dak. It went almost exactly as I thought it would. Threw for 213 and he rushed for 133. I didnt think he would rush quite as much though. The offense was more creative and the playcalling was vastly improved for 3 quarters as compared to what we had been seeing with Russell at QB. Dakota was 15/28 and the WR's had a good 3-4 drops. He threw the ball away from where the defender was. We are looking at a QB that is already better as a Soph than Relf ever was- all he needs is more game experience. There are things he has to keep working on in the passing game- but he will get better. That's obvious. There is no QB controversy- it should be Dakota moving forward. And it's not close.

2. Having said that- I fully expect us to start Russell next week. And the playcalling will go back to the garbage we have witnessed over and over- zone stretch, counter, and long developing pass plays. Lather, Rinse, Repeat

3. Many of you have been critical of the OL. As I have said repeatedly- they are pretty good in the Spread Option scheme. Amazing how much better they are with a mobile QB and better playcalling. When the defense knows exactly what you are about to run like they do when we have Tyler in there- you make the OL's job damn near impossible. We ran for 202 yards last night on 40 carries against a pretty good front. The front many of you thought was going to wear our OL out coming into the game.

4. Where's Malcolm Johnson? All he is doing is getting penalties and missing blocks right now. We have got to get him the ball more and make it a point to do so. We are more worried about our system of offense than we are about getting the ball to the best players we have on offense. That's why Tyler doesnt fit, thats why Malcolm doesnt catch 5-6 passes every Saturday, thats why Perkins doesnt catch 5-6 passes, and on and on and ****ing on

5. The defense really played well last night. We had the busted coverage by Cox where he got caught staring in the backfield and then the terrible ass Prevent D- but other than that we played a very good defensive ballgame against a good offense. Say what you want about giving up 450 yards- but that is modern offense now. Bama gave up 650 yards yesterday- is their D shitty? Hell, Saban had 2 weeks to get ready for them also. Collins is earning his check- he just didnt get it done on the last drive- but it shouldnt have to come that.

6. I told you guys about Shumpert and carries. He got 1 last night. Dont expect him to get more than 5 in any game moving forward. We have too many RB's to play. And they all have different strengths. We have to cut playing time to 3 RB's. That also makes cohesion with the QB better as well.

7. Mullen's asshole tightened in the 4th and we played not to lose. Cant play that way. You have to stay aggressive in today's football or you will get left behind. Hell, 14 point leads arent shit anymore- much less 3 points. That cost us the game.

8. Those blaming Dak on the reads in the 2nd half need to try again. Mullen is calling the plays and he has Les in the box seeing everything- if those two guys are seeing that we need to get the ball outside- then call the ****ing play to get the ball outside. Dak checked to the speed option once and made the pitch to Perk to get us a 1st down in the 1st half. Never saw it again. We ran a jet sweep to RoJo for 9 yards- never saw it again. How about a toss sweep to Perk? Didnt see that once. We ran a screen that was very effective- never came back to it. How about a bubble screen to Jameon or Holloway?????? That's easy as hell to run. But do we? Noooooooooo

All that to say- if the coaches wanted to get the ball outside- they could have easily done it. We did a poor job of coaching offensively in the 4th quarter. Everybody saw that.

9. Moving forward- we have a good defense that will keep us in games vs most anybody. It's a shame we arent taking advantage of it offensively like we should.

10. We have an Alex Smith vs Kapernick situation on our hands on offense. We can insert Tyler back in there, have a decent offense against nobodies and then get stuffed in big games vs good defenses- OR- we can get Dakota more and more game experience and let him develop into the lethal QB he is going to be- which will make our offense better in the long run by Thanksgiving. Jim Harbaugh, who I think is one of the best coaches in football right now, showed us how to make a tough decision and make it work. We as State form attachments to certain players and we want to see them do well- and many of you love Tyler Russell because he is from Mississippi and is a better passer than just about everyone that has worn State uniform over the years. But that doesnt make him the best QB or the best fit for our offense.
Going back and forth between the two QB's and adding losses will just demoralize and divide the team. We cant afford to do that.

We have inexperienced WR's, we dont tailor our offense to get the ball to our best weapons offensively, and we dont get creative with Tyler in the game. It's time to make that hard decision and go with Dakota at QB. Thanksgiving will be a much happier time if we do.

C34

cheewgumm
09-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Agree. I don't have a lot of faith that they won't play not to lose again, once this happens again. You're right about offenses now. They have become too explosive, so a 3 pt lead is no lead. We have to have the mentality that we need to score and keep our foot on the gas. No lead is safe.

chef dixon
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Yea O line was pretty damn solid last night. That hate needs to simmer down for sure.

msu4ever
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
So, what will Dan do? I've been a Msu fan since I ran around the drill field as my mom taught there.....followed them for 40 years.....had inner access to many student-athletes for a brief time in my adult life....though we were finally breaking through to a new day....now, I've concerned it'll never change. Now, we gotta tolerate some land sharks for a season....what's it gonna take to make the tough "right" decisions? Webern making some tough decisions...just making them, apparently, wrongly. Comments?

Relf2.0
09-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I think our Offense was fine our Defense let them drive downfield to win the game.

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 01:06 PM
I think our Offense was fine our Defense let them drive downfield to win the game.

Well then you completely whiffed. Yes, our prevent defense on the last drive was horrible, but it should have been a 10 point game at that point. Hell, we should have finished the game with the ball on offense and running out the clock. Just like the OSU game, our offense didn't help our defense at all. Mullen shut it down in the 2nd half so Gus said thank you and stuck it up our ass.

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Yea O line was pretty damn solid last night. That hate needs to simmer down for sure.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised at the O-line last night.

Relf2.0
09-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Well then you completely whiffed. Yes, our prevent defense on the last drive was horrible, but it should have been a 10 point game at that point. Hell, we should have finished the game with the ball on offense and running out the clock. Just like the OSU game, our offense didn't help our defense at all. Mullen shut it down in the 2nd half so Gus said thank you and stuck it up our ass.

Yea the passive play calling sucks and is hard to deal with at times but Auburn's D is way better than anyone is willing to give them credit for. Y'all will see when they play LSU

Coach34
09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Yea the passive play calling sucks and is hard to deal with at times but Auburn's D is way better than anyone is willing to give them credit for. Y'all will see when they play LSU

I agree about Auburn's D. If Russell had played, they would have sacked him 4-5 times and we would have been lucky to rush for 100 yards. 10 points max

Drugdog
09-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Coach,
That's as we written piece as I have read. PLEASE someone get this to Dan. He needs to read this because he sure as hell doesn't know it.

msu4ever
09-15-2013, 01:55 PM
I'd just like to know Dan's real plan. No coach speak. Seems to me the fan base is at a critical juncture. How can we be reunited again? And I agree about most everything 34 wrote and I would so hope Dan would read it given the chance. But, I do believe Dan's savvy enough to know similar perspectives....it's what's he gonna do....or what do we as fans really deserve to know about "The Plan" going forward.

grinnindawg
09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
You are correct, playing not to lose cost us the game, however it was on D as well as O.

40yd line with 45s left and we've got about 6 defensive players in view when the ball is snapped.

I believe the game would not have been close with Malzahn or Freeze coaching our offense.
Give them a week to study our playbook and AU might've scored 24, but we'd have scored 40+.
Doesn't bode well for the future unless something changes on our offense.

99jc
09-15-2013, 05:01 PM
You wrote that as if you were reading my mind, Well done.

aerodawg
09-16-2013, 01:12 AM
My only issue with your comments on Dak and Tyler is that either can get it done. If we ran plays that suited Tyler better, then our team would look great with him in there as well. The problem is that with Tyler the coaches have been doing what they did in the 4th quarter every quarter. Both quarterbacks are good enough to get us wins and could have won that game. The problem is the coaching decisions to play passive. I had faith after having the balls to go for it on 4th down at mid field, but sure enough they went right back up trying to maintain a pitiful 3 point lead.

I don't know why any team or coach would have any Prevent package intended for an entire drive. It is ok to go prevent defense with 10s left in the game when you know the team only has 1 play available to them. The other ****ing team isn't all of a sudden just now trying to get a touchdown. They have been trying all game, and our defense had been stopping them all game. But lets change it up because this one "really matters" to them. So stupid. Prevent defense should be used on a maximum of 2-3 plays a game. The last play of either half. Maybe 1 extra if the quarterback throws it away quickly to give them time for one more play.

drunkernhelldawg
09-16-2013, 07:47 AM
I thought the failure to establish Perkins in the game killed us in the 4th quarter.

FISHDAWG
09-16-2013, 09:06 AM
all I have to add is that now I'm in total agreement that Dak should be our starter ... for whatever reason I have been pro Russell all along but Dak showed us who the starter should be .... that and I hope we NEVER again run a prevent defense

Nicky Santoro
09-16-2013, 09:34 AM
in this game.

We should have won. There is no question - but I am concerned that we really didn't do much to stop the Auburn Passing game. Marshall had thrown for 260 yards total (against a Pac 10 D and a Sunbelt D) coming into our game. He lit us up for 340. We did a great job shutting down their run - but when a guy that was playing DB 6 weeks ago is shredding us through the air - I'm more than a little concerned (and pissed).

Dak missed a lot of reads in the 2nd half. They were playing him to keep and there were plenty of plays where if he had given to LP we would have moved the chains.

Tyler would have been killed out there - I'm not complaining about that - but we all have to realize Dak is going to have some growing pains. He's going to be fine.

In addition - statistically - we were no better than Wazzu or Ark. State against Auburn's D. In fact - statistically - we were worse. But - the scoreboard is where you measure your offense and we outscored Ark. State - by a lot. So - there is that.

We will get better - but it's not as simple as AU is better on D than most people think. No they aren't. We just aren't there yet on O.

We will need to play better on D - and this weekend will be a challenge. We should win by 10 - but I'm not liking the way our Pass D is setting up.

DownwardDawg
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree about Auburn's D. If Russell had played, they would have sacked him 4-5 times and we would have been lucky to rush for 100 yards. 10 points max

Some of us knew that Ellis Johnson would have them turned around quickly. He's a good D coordinator.

drunkernhelldawg
09-16-2013, 10:16 AM
in this game.

We should have won. There is no question - but I am concerned that we really didn't do much to stop the Auburn Passing game. Marshall had thrown for 260 yards total (against a Pac 10 D and a Sunbelt D) coming into our game. He lit us up for 340. We did a great job shutting down their run - but when a guy that was playing DB 6 weeks ago is shredding us through the air - I'm more than a little concerned (and pissed).

Dak missed a lot of reads in the 2nd half. They were playing him to keep and there were plenty of plays where if he had given to LP we would have moved the chains.

Tyler would have been killed out there - I'm not complaining about that - but we all have to realize Dak is going to have some growing pains. He's going to be fine.

In addition - statistically - we were no better than Wazzu or Ark. State against Auburn's D. In fact - statistically - we were worse. But - the scoreboard is where you measure your offense and we outscored Ark. State - by a lot. So - there is that.

We will get better - but it's not as simple as AU is better on D than most people think. No they aren't. We just aren't there yet on O.

We will need to play better on D - and this weekend will be a challenge. We should win by 10 - but I'm not liking the way our Pass D is setting up.

Agree about the missed reads, which I kinda said earlier. Not sure how TR would of fared, but our failure to mix it up more in the running game allowed them to key on Dak and shut us down. The defense played well until the final drive. Prevent you from winning is more than a slogan; it's a sad fact. Not on board with those ready to change coaches. 90 percent change we're worse off if we try that now. Mullen needs to do some big adjusting on the way things are happening. I feel and hope that he's doing that right now.

It was exciting to see Dak run the read option in the first half. Great job. Several positions played well in the game, including the all-important offensive line.