PDA

View Full Version : Time for a ED readership poll

starkvegasdawg
09-15-2013, 07:41 AM
No need to justify your answer. Just pick which category you fall into.

Fire Dan now
Fire Dan at end of season
Give Dan one more season
Give Dan all the time he needs
Keep Dan if he makes coordinator changes.
Have Bracky self impose the death penalty and disband the football team.

My answer is give Dan one more season.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Is Bracky qualified to be our coach?

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
This is a tough one. I say give Dan one more season, but Croom could coach this team to a bowl game next year. IDK. **** it. Roll Tide!!!

MetEdDawg
09-15-2013, 07:57 AM
But my gut is telling me Dan has taken us as far as he can.

This problem is much larger than just finding a new OC. We clearly need to let Les go, but we 100% HAVE to step up to the plate right now and show that we are serious about playing consistently good football at MSU. Fire Koenning before the season is over, then we need to throw serious money to our assistants to show we are interested in long term success. If we ever want to stay consistent, we have to make it worth the time for good coaches to hang around and not jump ship when the next best thing comes around. Wouldn't have mattered with Diaz, but it sure might matter if we can start taking good OCs and DCs from lower to mid tier BCS programs that are doing well and have good coordinators instead of having to go raid the damn Sun Belt for guys.

This university made a commitment to step up to the plate to become serious about competing with the big boys when Mullen got here. We got the new facilities, we got the stadium renovation, we've got the SEC talent and depth. But can we honestly say that we have an SEC caliber coaching staff that is getting paid SEC caliber money? Not no but hell no. Until that changes, we've reached our ceiling with Mullen because too many things have to fall correctly in place for us to get past 8-9 wins with our current way of doing things.

Dawgface
09-15-2013, 08:00 AM
If we finish 4-8 and get murdered by OM, fire at the end of the year. If we finish 5-7 and are competitive the rest of the year, give him one more year.

MarketingBully01
09-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Keep Dan but make a coordinator change. It's obvious we need to infuse something into the offense and get the fanbase excited again. After a night of sleeping on it, we had a billion chances to win that game. But those decisions the last four minutes were brutal. Of course, we are talking about a QB that made his second start and a very young defense and secondary on the road so who knows.

DapperDawg
09-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Get rid of him at the end of the season. He's not a good coach, so no need in spinning our wheels with him.

MarketingBully01
09-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Ole Miss won't beat us at the end of the year. We still have an outside shot at a bowl at 6-6. We need to let Dak start the rest of th year. If we do that 9 to 10 wins next year are not out of the question.

MrKotter
09-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Firing Les won't do shit. Fatwas Hevesy is who needs to go. Worst coach on the staff by far.

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Ole Miss won't beat us at the end of the year. We still have an outside shot at a bowl at 6-6. We need to let Dak start the rest of th year. If we do that 9 to 10 wins next year are not out of the question.

Ole Miss is so much better than us right now it's pathetic. You do realize that they will get better as the year progresses too? Unless Wallace gets hurt.

RunDog26
09-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Dan needs to be forced into letting Les go AND into hiring an OC who will be given the keys to the O-car. I don't see that happening this year, so give him one more season based on these conditions.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Firing Les won't do shit. Fatwas Hevesy is who needs to go. Worst coach on the staff by far.

sounds like someone who knows what's going on...

WeWillScrewItUp
09-15-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't think Dan will fire Les. They are boys, plus a new coordinator wouldn't do any good if Dan continued to call the plays. I'm all for letting him walk after the season.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Dan=Stains. Let's cut bait before we waste ten more years. The are are way too many young good coaches out there with some fire in their belly, can recruit, and can coach.

Maroonthirteen
09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Let Dan have all the time he wants.

Your ceiling at State is what he has accomplished. On the field and in recruiting. State needs to Schedule Memphis/Tulane/UAB/USM and Sunbelt teams OOC. Win those games and pray for a SEC win to get a bowl.

Fire Mullen but you won't find another coach any more talented that will take the job. Maybe HUD but that is looking to be a push at this point. Petrino will have better offers and head west.

Quaoarsking
09-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Undecided for now. We can decide at the end of the season, but I lean toward 1 more year as an appreciation for what he's done for us so far, on the condition that we hire a different OC.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Your ceiling at State is what he has accomplished. On the field and in recruiting. State needs to Schedule Memphis/Tulane/UAB/USM and Sunbelt teams OOC. Win those games and pray for a SEC win to get a bowl.

Fire Mullen but you won't find another coach any more talented that will take the job. Maybe HUD but that is looking to be a push at this point. Petrino will have better offers and head west.

The don't fire Stains argument.

dawgoneyall
09-15-2013, 09:38 AM
First half and half of the third quarter I would have said give Dan all the time he needs.

Last half and forth quarter....Fire Dan now.

The four corner offensive at the end was not acceptable. Why he quit attacking the ends is a complete mystery. He didn't become conservative necessarily (drop back passing at the 10 yard line and going for it on 4th. do we not have a row out pass option in the play book) but he quit attacking. And this is a continual pattern which I don't think he can help but continue. Be gone.

Saltydog
09-15-2013, 09:46 AM
has got to go. The sooner, the better. If Dan is calling the plays what the hell do we need Koening for?

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Changes in staff does nothing for Dan and his not give a shit persona. He's too cool for school and his ego doesn't give the offensive coaches any freedom anyway. It's all Dan and he can go at the end of the yr. Please someone hire him away from us.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 09:54 AM
we've lost 7 of the last 9... and our schedule has ensured that we got ZERO momentum heading into this season.

The season is pretty much over barring a miracle comeback at the QB spot. A year and a half of complete failure is tough. I'm thinking we may as well consider the rest of this season practice for 2014. Hopefully we don't fire Dan, but I think he undeservedly on the hot seat right now.

KennyPowers2
09-15-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't think Dan is capable of much more. His fire is gone and it is showing on the scoreboard. Something changed in him mid season last year and it wasn't just playing good teams. His demeanor on the sidelines and lack of effort in his expressions is what kills me.

I think next year we will be a really good team, we have a lot of young guys playing a lot this year. I am excited about next year but I think it will be wasted by Dan. He has become complacent and that is unacceptable. If he fails to turn this season around and get us to a bowl game the. I say let him go at the end of the year. I want someone here who is not going to waste our talent next year. I appreciate Dan but his fire is gone so therefore my fire is gone. When he got here he was pretty intense but for some reason it's all different. I know some people think this stance is crazy because he has turned the program around and all, but look at the last 10 games and "how" we lost. Also look at Dans in game coaching and sideline emotion.

Who do we go after??? I'm not sure but I Think HUD is a decent option but maybe not the best. Who knows. I do know that being a state fan really puts a hurting on your cardiovascular system. When my coach is chewing on his coloring book the whole damn time while I'm having a stroke it's time for a change.

camsu
09-15-2013, 10:25 AM
I think Dan has and will do a good job. He is in his 5th yr of ever being a HC and has learned a lot with a lot more to go. He has his D staff in place, at this point he needs to give up a lot of OC job and hire someone to take his old O and make it better. They are out there and I think he will really sit down and do it. He is upgrading the O side of ball but needs more in the skill positions. Several catchable passes last night that were not and several bad passes late due to a young QB. We are getting there he just needs to realize his time and attention.

Shocking no one has said what a excellent game the OL played last night.

Noxdog
09-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Give Dan one more season.

Maroon Diapers
09-15-2013, 12:35 PM

I want to go with this as well, but it's gonna be like Stans all over again. This is where Byrne would get shit done. Give him 1 more year AND make coordinator changes. If nothing changes, take a stab at it with another unproven coach. Preferably one that's also a Reverend.

cheewgumm
09-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Bravo!!

Todd4State
09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
You fire Dan at the end of the year. Ask Texas how firing someone mid season works out. Or Ole Miss 2011. And IMO, he will get fired if for no other reason than he doesn't appear to give a shit anymore. We just have to ride it out until Thanksgiving. And I'll even make a bold prediction that we lose to either Troy or Bowling Green. Yes, Dan has beaten every subterranean team thus far- but he's had some close calls the past few years- UAB 2010, La Tech 2011, Troy 2012.

You don't give him a chance to change coordinators because we already gave him that chance in the off season. By keeping Les, Hevesey, Sallach, and Knox- he made a statement at that point. We trusted him with that decision at that point, and if it doesn't work out, he's going to have to pay the price.

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
One more year IF the team doesn't quit on him this season and improves

missouridawg
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Next year is going to have quite a few things line up for us.

First, Dak will be giving the keys to the offense and he'll have damn near a full season with these WRs to get things worked out. Our O-Line should be serviceable

Our defense should be ELITE.

2014 is the year where we get to 9 or 10 wins. We get 4 winnable OOC games. Arkansas, Auburn, and aTm (hopefully with a new QB) at home. Our east opponents will be UK and Vandy or Mizzou, most likely.

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Next year is going to have quite a few things line up for us.

First, Dak will be giving the keys to the offense and he'll have damn near a full season with these WRs to get things worked out. Our O-Line should be serviceable

Our defense should be ELITE.

2014 is the year where we get to 9 or 10 wins. We get 4 winnable OOC games. Arkansas, Auburn, and aTm (hopefully with a new QB) at home. Our east opponents will be UK and Vandy or Mizzou, most likely.

Yep, I agree

1bigdawg
09-15-2013, 05:08 PM
We are going to give Dan the season and anyone who says different is kidding themselves. Evaluate then. 3 out of the 4 SEC schools that did not make bowls last year fired their coach. To second guess during the season is foolish. It only undermines our institution. Tomorrow, I will call the Bulldog Club and [U]raise[U] my contribution because I am a BULLDAWG. I want us to be national champions and, in the long term, will not be happy with less, but this is just one day on the march. Go Bulldogs.

coastdoglover
09-15-2013, 10:04 PM

You nailed it. Mullen is calling all the plays and Hevesy is a joke.

Bullmutt
09-16-2013, 10:54 AM
One more year, unless he keeps chewing the playcard with the "deer-in-the-headlights" look on his face when he's behind!

Hypnodawg
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
1 more year if he makes staff changes.