PDA

View Full Version : We are.....thoughts about the game

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Let's go ahead and get the bad stuff out if the way.

Our staff lost this game, no doubt. 3rd down conversions are what killed us in this one. And bad playcalling helped inflict it. Especially late in the game. But it can be fixed! Stop comparing this season to 09'. We have FAR better skill guys! We are also upgraded at QB. But if you don't fix the playcalling it won't matter. But I feel sure we will. People Dan isn't going any where right now. We are very invested in him and I actually think IF Dak plays from here in out we can still make a bowl game. Arkansas didn't look good at home Vs USM. But it will come down to the Egg Bowl.

Our fanbase is in disarray right now. Our players are talking about us in twitter and do you not think recruits see that too? Do you think they don't hear it? Guys had we made Bell's FG on our first drive & made the PAT we would've been in O.T. If we would've won the game would you have still been happy? There are some things we need to tighten up, yes. But good gracious! Our DBs showed they were very young & blew coverage at least 6 times. We face a real QB and the game might be a blow out! We just happened to get in the graces of the Lord on those plays. We only got caught 2 times out of 6. Our tackling wasn't good either. No one is saying anything about that?

The good. Our QB looked JUST like i thought he would. He just needs more time in practice getting reps. Guys we have found OUR guy! There is NO doubt now! He looked poised (for the most part) and never got rattled which is something that TR is VERY guilty of. The Relf-fense is back baby! I am super happy to see it! You should too.

He fires up the offensive line too. And they played pretty decent in the game. They didn't look like a below avg OL like they do because Dak fits their skill set & fits our scheme. Gotta give some love that way too.

Our WRs looked pretty good too. I notice Dak likes throwing to Morrow. And in the last 2 weeks Morrow has looked like the guy we thought he'd be. They just need more time.

Overall I'm not up or down about this game. I feel like we should've won the game but at the same time I saw some improvement from our players too. I want to see more Dak! I want to see Mullen build this season on who'll be here next year. I see us beating Troy, BG, UK, Ark & our season will come down to 1 game that we have AT HOME! And our fanbase we be stupid excited to have here. The ReBearSharks might blow out a Charmin soft Texas team. But let me tell you this they aren't as good as everybody thinks they are. RIGHT now they are slightly better than us, but we ARE getting better week to week. It should be clearly evident even to people who don't have a lot of football I.Q. Stop worrying about firing Dan and worry more about keeping these kids a good place to come home to!

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=Coach 57;51633]

The good. Our QB looked JUST like i thought he would. He just needs more time in practice getting reps. Guys we have found OUR guy! There is NO doubt now! He looked poised (for the most part) and never got rattled which is something that TR is VERY guilty of. The Relf-fense is back baby! I am super happy to see it! You should too.

QUOTE]

That's all fine and good, but Russell will be the starter next week and for the LSU game. Count on it. Next year can't get here soon enough!

Dawgface
09-15-2013, 08:04 AM
How can the play calling get fixed whey you have the same staff in place? They continue to make poor decisions game after game, I see nothing that leads me to believe they have the IQ to fix it.

MarketingBully01
09-15-2013, 08:13 AM
I agree with your synopsis coach and if it turns out Auburn wins 8 games and OSU goes undefeated all of this bitching will look really stupid. I do have to say I am sick of all of the bitching from the fanbase on all of the message boards myself. Last night I was guilty of it too out of frustration on how we lost. If the players are starting to talk about it, we need to stop bitching I think. Lets just let this season play out. We are still a pretty young team in spots where it counts. I think we can go 6-6 if we play Dak. If this happens, I also think we have a chance to get to 9-10 wins next year due to schedule. Lets just watch the rest of the season and cheer on our Dogs! Go State!

MetEdDawg
09-15-2013, 08:29 AM
He made 1 questionable throw last night on the sideline and that's really it. Not sure on whether or not he made incorrect reads on a few plays in the 2nd half or if he was told what his 1st read would be and that was the problem. Either way, I still like almost everything Dak did. He ran hard, he threw well, and he's just got that confident, active personality you want from the guy commanding your offense on the field. He's going to be a really good one, and I'm with most on here, 2014 has the potential to be a really good year.

The Dak experiment should pretty much be over for those still in doubt. If you combine a missed FG with shitty playcalling from the Auburn 50 after two turnovers, Dak was in position to drop 30-40 points on Auburn last night. He can sling it. Still has to tighten up his accuracy a little, but at least he gives the WRs a chance to catch the football on 85-90% of his throws. He's good people and we need to go with him from here on out. With Dak at the helm, at least our offense does a few things we thought it would do when we hired Mullen. Still have a shot to get a signature win with Dak if we can open up the playbook more and quit playing so conservative.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 08:33 AM
@Dawgface- the bigger issue isn't (to me) is IN GAME adjustments. The playcalling issue can be fixed, I still think Dan is learning (believe it or not). Yeah he's been here 5 yrs, but are we sure before hand he wasn't resting on the playcalling of Urban Meyer? And one thing I can say is this about coaching. I sat in a coaching conference with a DC who made this statement and it has pertinence to our discussion."Once you get 'found' it's hard to get 'unfound'." What that means is that as a coordinator on either side of the ball. Once people have film& PROPERLY diagnose your scheme you have to start throwing wrinkles in otherwise they will expose you & your scheme. I saw some new wrinkles last night on this offense that I haven't seen before. But part of playcalling is in the huddle audibles too facing certain looks. It gives you the ability & confidence to be more aggressive with you calls. But the more Dak plays the more comfortable Dan'll get with him with playcalling & audibles. All those things are connected. But it starts with stability at the QB position. After that it will start to work better.

RunDog26
09-15-2013, 08:40 AM
"It" can be fixed, but can it be fixed with this coaching staff? We've had 2 winnable games and they have whiffed on each one.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
@MetEdDawg- couldn't agree more with what you said. It should be painfully evident Dak SHOULD be our QB.

BossDawg
09-15-2013, 08:44 AM
"The Relf-fense is back baby!"

Where in the hell was it in the second half? It's as if we closed 3/4s of the playbook and dared Auburn to get back into the game.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Concerning the Ok St game. I'm curious, why are you guys SO mad? Most of you guys had us losing the game anyway? Are you upset because we lost after you saw we ACTUALLY had a chance because of how well our defense slowed then down? Our are you mad be cause we lost? Sometimes I just don't understand our fanbase.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 08:48 AM
@Bossdawg- as I said my biggest issue is adjustments. We were running similar plays but the difference was that Auburn made adjustments defensively. We never countered their adjustments. That is a bigger concern.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I LOVE the players and how their effort is. I want leadership that can make us play with that effort AND can actually coach offense. Dan has no visible fire in his belly. Ever. I want a new one.

Will James
09-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Concerning the Ok St game. I'm curious, why are you guys SO mad? Most of you guys had us losing the game anyway? Are you upset because we lost after you saw we ACTUALLY had a chance because of how well our defense slowed then down? Our are you mad be cause we lost? Sometimes I just don't understand our fanbase.

Well I'm mad that we clearly played the wrong QB. After an ENTIRE OFFSEASON that could have gone to prepping the right QB in the right offense. I'm mad that we made no adjustments to the offense that was horrible last year. I'm mad that our AD apologized and that the pussification of that manifests itself in our head coach when crunch time rolls around. I'm mad that we never have the ability to play good on offense and defense in the same damn game outside of the damn SWAC games! I'm mad that our coach has no fire in his belly. Im mad that we eliminate hype and energy at home because of local commercials. I'm mad that DNF has no major renovations planned. I'm mad that our compliance department sucks.

When does fall baseball practice start? Looking forward to a scrimmage.

Jacksondevildog
09-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Beautiful post. Spot on. It doesn't make sense to fund millions of dollars into football if you are going to make excuses on twitter and not demand better. Cohen got tossed out of a game a few years ago and drove to Meridian to recruit Corey Dickerson. Mullen doesn't like to recruit. You tell me which one has more drive.

[/B]
Well I'm mad that we clearly played the wrong QB. After an ENTIRE OFFSEASON that could have gone to prepping the right QB in the right offense. I'm mad that we made no adjustments to the offense that was horrible last year. I'm mad that our AD apologized and that the pussification of that manifests itself in our head coach when crunch time rolls around. I'm mad that we never have the ability to play good on offense and defense in the same damn game outside of the damn SWAC games! I'm mad that our coach has no fire in his belly. Im mad that we eliminate hype and energy at home because of local commercials. I'm mad that DNF has no major renovations planned. I'm mad that our compliance department sucks.

RunDog26
09-15-2013, 09:03 AM
First open baseball practice is Oct 4.

BogeyGolfer
09-15-2013, 09:05 AM
I see us beating Troy, BG, UK, Ark & our season will come down to 1 game that we have AT HOME!

Funny, this is what I predicted a month ago, yet you criticized me for making such a prediction...

But what hurts is that fact that I was wrong, we have a better team than Auburn, they had no answer for our offense for the entire game until our coaching staff decided to play conservative. I'm with you on Dak, I'm very excited that we have a QB who can win games for us, but I'm hurting right now. We can't lose games on the road in the SEC in that fashion. Our coaching staff owes it to the players, fans and everyone who is invested in our university to do a better job than what they've done so far. It's going to take a while for this to pass for me....

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:09 AM
And the fact no emotion Dan doesn't show any I-give-a-shit.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 09:09 AM
How the hell is anyone saying Dak looked good after the game yesterday? We scored 20 points against a terrible Auburn defense. I love Dak. I think his time is coming, but he's not ready yet IMO.

We had scoring chances on 4 of the first 6 drives if the game and then had 7 in a row without sniffing points. We were predictable. Load the box against us and we can't move the ball. Outside of the first drive in the 2nd half, we had less than 100 yards the entire half. A complete 180 from the first half. I think it has a lot to do with having scripted plays and Dak not checking too... but I can't be sure.

We had the ball 7 or 8 times in the 2nd half and threw it about 10 times total... even though they were LOADING the box. Anyone thinking our QB play is settled with those kind of numbers has lost their mind. We've got a lot of work to do at that spot with both guys, but TR gives us a chance to compete with great teams. We won't sniff a W against Bama or LSU or A&M with Dak... not yet. His time will come, and he's getting close, but he's not quite there yet IMO.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Lol, enjoy your baseball season. Not a big fan of it. We as a fanbase bash Bama & Auburn for being too football friendly than than baseball. But are we now the pot or the kettle? I have encountered many MSU fans that say, "well I only pull for the baseball team." ***slow golf clap*** So you only pull for a team that is somewhat successful? And has had success in the past + this year? Lol. I pull for ALL MSU teams from A-Z. Just silly to me.

Jacksondevildog
09-15-2013, 09:16 AM
I didn't say pull only for baseball. I was making a comparison between the attitudes of the coaches.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Funny, this is what I predicted a month ago, yet you criticized me for making such a prediction...

But what hurts is that fact that I was wrong, we have a better team than Auburn, they had no answer for our offense for the entire game until our coaching staff decided to play conservative. I'm with you on Dak, I'm very excited that we have a QB who can win games for us, but I'm hurting right now. We can't lose games on the road in the SEC in that fashion. Our coaching staff owes it to the players, fans and everyone who is invested in our university to do a better job than what they've done so far. It's going to take a while for this to pass for me....

Bogey the difference is what you predicted and my disagreement with it was I KNEW what we had as a team. Maybe you didn't. But the only difference between where you were predicting Vs mine was or is the staffs inability to make in game PROPER adjustments. I can't predict staff decisions NOBODY can. I just knew how talented we were. Lesson learned not only from you but from me as well.

I'm not worried about fire from Dan. You baseball people should know this better than any. Cohen lightened up & we made a HUGE push in the postseason. Dan & John are friends away from the field. Cohen has more experience than Dan as a leader of an entire team. Perhaps Dan is listening to Cohen about loosening up. But Dan & his staff aren't just making in game adjustments.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 09:24 AM
How the hell is anyone saying Dak looked good after the game yesterday? We scored 20 points against a terrible Auburn defense. I love Dak. I think his time is coming, but he's not ready yet IMO.

We had scoring chances on 4 of the first 6 drives if the game and then had 7 in a row without sniffing points. We were predictable. Load the box against us and we can't move the ball. Outside of the first drive in the 2nd half, we had less than 100 yards the entire half. A complete 180 from the first half. I think it has a lot to do with having scripted plays and Dak not checking too... but I can't be sure.

We had the ball 7 or 8 times in the 2nd half and threw it about 10 times total... even though they were LOADING the box. Anyone thinking our QB play is settled with those kind of numbers has lost their mind. We've got a lot of work to do at that spot with both guys, but TR gives us a chance to compete with great teams. We won't sniff a W against Bama or LSU or A&M with Dak... not yet. His time will come, and he's getting close, but he's not quite there yet IMO.

The difference is when Auburn showed an inside all out blitz Dak checked to the outside option. The containment man HAD to honor Dak as a threat to run & Dak pitched it to Perk on a critical 3rd & 3 in which Perk gained 5. In the Ok St game same call, same situation, same two guys. Dak didn't properly read the container and kept & got stood up at the L.O.S.Tyler doesn't provide this. Tyler gets rattled throws into double coverage & causes a T.O. Dak gets a 1st down. Hack you are just a Tyler apologist plain & simple. It was Dak's first away SEC start against a record crowd & a team fighting form bowl contention. Tyler faced a AU team at home who was already quitting on their coach and HE GOT TO PLAY AT HOME!

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Dak just played his first real game. He's not ready yet for what? The 85 Bears? He looked great yesterday because of what we have seen the last 10-12 games with TR at QB. He's played one game and already has way more juice than TR. I know you refuse to accept it but I would rather play a RS soph that is going to get way better, if Dan allows it, than a Sr that has reached his ceiling a yr ago. Dak gives us just as good a chance to win if not better than TR and I can't understand how it's debatable. Dak is a better player.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Bogey the difference is what you predicted and my disagreement with it was I KNEW what we had as a team. Maybe you didn't. But the only difference between where you were predicting Vs mine was or is the staffs inability to make in game PROPER adjustments. I can't predict staff decisions NOBODY can. I just knew how talented we were. Lesson learned not only from you but from me as well.

I'm not worried about fire from Dan. You baseball people should know this better than any. Cohen lightened up & we made a HUGE push in the postseason. Dan & John are friends away from the field. Cohen has more experience than Dan as a leader of an entire team. Perhaps Dan is listening to Cohen about loosening up. But Dan & his staff aren't just making in game adjustments.

We damn well should be. Football and baseball are way different in the context you are speaking of. You can't "loosen up" on a hundred wing nuts whose job is to go out and knock the shit out of people. You do have to loosen up in baseball at times. Your analogy isn't applicable here.

It_Could_Happen
09-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I was at the game. Last night I was pissed about it, but looking back today, we have a very young team. What I was most impressed with is that a young team went into one of the toughest places to win in the country and fought. Our team never looked down, the sidelines were always upbeat, and we played with emotion. This team will only get better. The only thing I am upset about is it looked like we went into almost a prevent defense at the end. Our corners were 10-15 yards off the ball every play.

MetEdDawg
09-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Is that the same Tyler Russell that lost to Alabama 38-7, or the one that lost to LSU 37-17, or the one that lost to TAMU 38-13, or the one that lost to Northwestern 34-20, or the one that lost to Ole Miss 41-24, ALL IN THE SAME SEASON?

You thinking Tyler Russell gives us a better shot to beat those teams is borderline insanity. With Tyler Russell as our QB, we got outscored in our 5 losses 188-81. A decent part of that is on the defense, but a very large part is on Tyler Russell who shit the bed hard against good teams. Anyone that thinks Tyler Russell can beat a quality team is beyond saving at this point.

Dak is a freaking RS Sophomore who got his first career SEC start, 2nd career start, on the road in front of 85 thousand people and he had 350 total yards of offense. No interceptions and scored 2 TDs. Had a 35 FG missed on his first drive and had shitty playcalling from the 50 on two separate occasions. He may have missed a few reads, but do you seriously think we are better with Tyler? I can't imagine how you can think that. Has Russell ever had 350 yards of total offense by himself??

But by all means, let Russell come on back and "save the day". He's done it for us so many times against all of our quality opponents.

missouridawg
09-15-2013, 09:34 AM

I'm mad about the OK State game, because if Dak started and played that entire game, we would've won.

And if he was named starter in the right time frame, he would've got 1st team snaps through practices this fall. He would've been much further along in his development and had another 50 snaps under his belt prior to Auburn. And that would've lead us to beat Auburn too.

So pretty much, Dan's insistence to play Tyler Russell had directly caused us to lose 2 games in my opinion.

Jacksondevildog
09-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Agreed . It's alarming that he hasn't seen that Prescott gives us the best opportunity to win. It's decisions like that that have made me lose a lot of confidence in Mullen.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Dak is a better athlete for sure. TR is a better QB.

This team's only chance to win is spreading the ball out and neutralizing our weaknesses along the OL. We are not built to be a power run team with our OTs. If we could pull Sherrod and have Dak truck along behind him that's fine, but we can't. We can ride Gabe some with the RBs, but we can't afford to turn the 3 lose so DC's will just put them over Gabe, load the box, and our entire run offense goes to crap. Then we're running to one side, without our only road grader essentially sucked up by the scheme with zero chance of going into a pocket QB offensive scheme.

7 drives in a row yesterday as soon as EJ figured it out. I would go back and watch it to see how they lined up the DL, but I can't stomach it. If anyone does, please let me know how many times we pulled Gabe in the 2nd half. We did it to open against Okie State and rolled them the first drive, then they adjusted and we had to stop.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm mad about the OK State game, because if Dak started and played that entire game, we would've won.

And if he was named starter in the right time frame, he would've got 1st team snaps through practices this fall. He would've been much further along in his development and had another 50 snaps under his belt prior to Auburn. And that would've lead us to beat Auburn too.

So pretty much, Dan's insistence to play Tyler Russell had directly caused us to lose 2 games in my opinion.

UM Dak DID get 1st team reps all week. Tyler was not allowed to participate in "contact" related scenarios. That actually means practice.....not just games. I agree Dak could've given us better opportunities not only in the Ok St game bit he could've won the NW game had Dan pulled Tyler in it.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Dak is a better athlete for sure. TR is a better 7 on 7 QB.

Fixed it for you.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Is that the same Tyler Russell that lost to Alabama 38-7, or the one that lost to LSU 37-17, or the one that lost to TAMU 38-13, or the one that lost to Northwestern 34-20, or the one that lost to Ole Miss 41-24, ALL IN THE SAME SEASON?

Dak's 20 against a piss poor terrible Auburn defense is somehow superior to that? Tyler won 8 games last year. Dak will be lucky to win 5 this year... with a much, much better defense.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Dak is a better athlete for sure. TR is a better QB.

This team's only chance to win is spreading the ball out and neutralizing our weaknesses along the OL. We are not built to be a power run team with our OTs. If we could pull Sherrod and have Dak truck along behind him that's fine, but we can't. We can ride Gabe some with the RBs, but we can't afford to turn the 3 lose so DC's will just put them over Gabe, load the box, and our entire run offense goes to crap. Then we're running to one side, without our only road grader essentially sucked up by the scheme with zero chance of going into a pocket QB offensive scheme.

7 drives in a row yesterday as soon as EJ figured it out. I would go back and watch it to see how they lined up the DL, but I can't stomach it. If anyone does, please let me know how many times we pulled Gabe in the 2nd half. We did it to open against Okie State and rolled them the first drive, then they adjusted and we had to stop.

So let me see.....YOUNG wr core. Check. OL who can't hold blocks. Check. Better defense than offense. Check. Bevy of RBs (arguably best position we have depth in). Check! Actually Tyler plays AGAINST the strengths of the team. Young WRs can't get separation, OL can't hold pass blocks for that long & are being asked to be pro-set OL when Tyler is in, RB is a strength. With Dak in the game we can use ALL OUR STRENGTHS! We were even in the diamond last night with 3 of the 5 backs we have! Some people just don't get it.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 10:02 AM
So let me see.....YOUNG wr core. Check. OL who can't hold blocks. Check. Better defense than offense. Check. Bevy of RBs (arguably best position we have depth in). Check! Actually Tyler plays AGAINST the strengths of the team. Young WRs can't get separation, OL can't hold pass blocks for that long & are being asked to be pro-set OL when Tyler is in, RB is a strength. With Dak in the game we can use ALL OUR STRENGTHS! We were even in the diamond last night with 3 of the 5 backs we have! Some people just don't get it.

yeah, I like GaTech's offense too.. but we've got 20 points in 6 QTs running it against BCS conference teams.

civildawg
09-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Dak's 20 against a piss poor terrible Auburn defense is somehow superior to that? Tyler won 8 games last year. Dak will be lucky to win 5 this year... with a much, much better defense.

This is a idiotic post. You do understand we would have most likely scored half of what we scored if Russell was playing right?

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
This is a idiotic post. You do understand we would have most likely scored half of what we scored if Russell was playing right?

I'm an idiot and you're using an unknown and unproven analogy? TR scored 40+ against UT last year, which has a similar defense to Auburn this year. He scored 28 against them last year and we sat on the ball late.

Me and the guy making $3M a year to coach team both think TR is the best option to win games, but please don't let that stop the message board masses scream for the backup QB and a coaching replacement after we lose one game that we shouldn't of scheduled.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm an idiot and you're using an unknown and unproven analogy? TR scored 40+ against UT last year, which has a similar defense to Auburn this year. He scored 28 against them last year and we sat on the ball late.

Me and the guy making $3M a year to coach team both think TR is the best option to win games, but please don't let that stop the message board masses scream for the backup QB and a coaching replacement after we lose one game that we shouldn't of scheduled.

And you both should be fired for it.

Drugdog
09-15-2013, 10:29 AM
1. we have A ***** for a head coach.
2 We have a ***** for an AD.

There is our problems.

camsu
09-15-2013, 10:31 AM
57 right on the money. We are almost there and Dan is improving with every game. The neg of the game for me was the play of our experienced CBs. Jiles did a good job but Calhoun and Cox were beat several times and I was not expecting that. Autry has to get a better pass rush but Preston Smith had a great game.

MetEdDawg
09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
What would Tyler have done last night that would have been better than Dak? Run 70 yards on that read option to set up the go ahead TD? How about hit any WR on a seam ever? Convert a running 4th and 1 in his own territory? If you say yes, then this conversation is over because you are delusional.

Can you honestly say after we've seen Tyler Russell beat up on bad teams and get hammered by good teams that he is a better passer or QB than Dak? That may have been a bad Auburn team last night, but they make the 2012 Auburn team look like Auburn high school. Nick Marshall >>>>>> Kiehl Frazier. 2013 Auburn defense >>>>>>>> 2012 Auburn defense. Playing that shitty 2012 Auburn team at home >>>>>>>> an improved 2013 Auburn team at Jordan Hare that already has as many wins as that 2012 team.

Using 20 points scored in a QBs 1st SEC start against an SEC team on the road to prove your point that Tyler Russell is a better QB after he put up 28 points on a 3 win Auburn team at home is laughable.

Dak threw for 9 less yards than Tyler did last year and he did it against a better defense and did it on the road. Add the 133 rushing yards Dak had to Tyler's ZERO and you tell me who is the more effective QB.

SPMT
09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
No shit.

I love to watch that loose Nick Saban. Demand excellence and perfection and you get it.

Dawgface
09-15-2013, 10:33 AM

2-8 is why the masses are screaming for a possible coaching change. But he won't and shouldn't be fired during the season. So Dan has a chance to make all these adjustments that have been recommended. But if he fails the rest of the year, I don't see how anyone could still support him.

msstate7
09-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Wasn't dak out most of the preseason?

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 10:47 AM
57 right on the money. We are almost there and Dan is improving with every game. The neg of the game for me was the play of our experienced CBs. Jiles did a good job but Calhoun and Cox were beat several times and I was not expecting that. Autry has to get a better pass rush but Preston Smith had a great game.

Improving at what? Being more nonchalant? It damn sure ain't improving at effectively leading our program.

coachcamp
09-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Miss St lost that game for one simple reason. Not being able to close out the game at the end. The play calling may have been a lil suspect but we dont know if Dak changed the play at the line. The execution of the plays was not good. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO EXECUTE IN ORDER TO CLOSE A GAME! They flat out did not! We had bad reads, dropped passes and funny play calling. EXECUTION is the key to winning close games.
Also, IMO... He needs to pass more with his running QB. you cant just run, run, run with your QB. Esablish the PASS 1st! Then run the QB off of that.

msstate7
09-15-2013, 10:54 AM
I think we wore out dak and that's the reason he started losing accuracy in the 4th. Remember he's coming off an injury that kept him from getting in great playing shape. There's no doubt in my mind he was gassed at the end

FlabLoser
09-15-2013, 10:59 AM
@Bossdawg- as I said my biggest issue is adjustments. We were running similar plays but the difference was that Auburn made adjustments defensively. We never countered their adjustments. That is a bigger concern.

That is why the OSU game is just as frustrating. We moved the ball well for one quarter. OSU adjusted. We didn't even try to counter their adjustments.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 11:14 AM
MetEd, I was responding to a post that used an absent analogy by providing an actual analogy. Didn't say it was perfect, but it's sure as hell a lot better than y'all hypothetically saying what Tyler "would not have been able to do" in a game against a team he's 1-0 against.

Tyler can deliver the ball wherever and however the coaches want him to... handoff, pitch, screen, any throw you need. He can't run it and doesn't fit the spread option, and for this he's being criticized. This monolithic mindset that your QB has to run the ball to be successful offensively is stupid as shit. God forbid we run the ball with our RBs without our QB being a running threat a la Alabama, LSU, UGA, etc.. Get a fullback and even the odds in the box. TR doesn't need one-on-one coverage to bust up a secondary. But hey, let's just say screw the passing game and hope we never have to comeback in a game again - EVER. That'll work.

Seven drives in a row with nothing against the shittiest defense in the SEC West and y'all are screaming for more. It took a half to figure it out and it's not something we'll fix with our current personnel. Without TR this team wins 5 games max. If y'all are ok with that just to get ready for next year, so be it. I want to see the bowl streak continue.

FlabLoser
09-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Miss St lost that game for one simple reason. Not being able to close out the game at the end. The play calling may have been a lil suspect but we dont know if Dak changed the play at the line. The execution of the plays was not good. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO EXECUTE IN ORDER TO CLOSE A GAME! They flat out did not! We had bad reads, dropped passes and funny play calling. EXECUTION is the key to winning close games.
Also, IMO... He needs to pass more with his running QB. you cant just run, run, run with your QB. Esablish the PASS 1st! Then run the QB off of that.

That is pretty much what I saw. Down the stretch, I think Dak made bad reads and/or wanted to run the ball every play. Trying too hard to be a hero. I also think what looks like bad play calling could be Dak making bad calls at the line.

I give Dak a pass because 1) he is in his first SEC start, and 2) he showed he can play.

That defense failed at gut check time. That's on the players and it is also on Collins for getting so conservative on the last drive. I have to remember that it was also Collins first SEC start.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 11:24 AM

that's about it in a nutshell. We've admitted to ourselves that we're going to be one dimensional even when they load the box. We can't do that. Whether its play calling or Dak checking into runs is irrelevant IMO. We don't have confidence in our passing game with Dak in. That's the bottom line and why I think TR must finish out this season.

FlabLoser
09-15-2013, 11:55 AM
We need a QB that can run and throw.

Tyler can't run, period end of story. So far Dak is the best QB Dan has had at running & throwing.

Tyson Lee was a walk-on that played admirably to his level of talent. Relf was a gutsy QB who could run and was never going to be a good passer. Russell is a pro set QB that can pass with the best of them, but he is a statue in the backfield. Dak can run as good or better than Relf and I think his passing will develop like Russell's has.

Dak is a better passer right now as a So than Russell was as a So. I think Dak will get a lot better passing.

cheewgumm
09-15-2013, 12:17 PM
because of coaching imo. Like this game, we didn't seem to want to win, we more wanted to not lose too badly. It's easy to understand why our coaches have this attitude though...hell more than half our fanbase has the attitiude that there is no way we should beat Ok State even after they saw the game, so what is the big deal. Their thought is we had no business scheduling them. So I guess we can agree with them and not be upset as we should just expect to lose. After all, we are Miss State...how the hell should we expect to play wiht the likes of Ok State and Auburn on the road?*** Come on people let's be "realisitic"!!

All Miss State fans used to have the "poor little ole Miss state" attitude, but Jackie killed that for a large part of us. Sadly, it is back in a good portion of our fanbase. I assume most of them were not here or don't rememebr Jackie and those teams.

Anyway...

We can give pass after pass after pass to our coaches. But the fact is the fact. At some point we have to beat teams we have a chance to beat. Look at our last 8 games...that will probalbly tell you why some are mad.

At some point you have to win.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 12:21 PM
We need a QB that can run and throw.

Like Bama, LSU, Louisville, Georgia, etc...? I do t understand the "we must have a running QB" crowd when it's obvious we're giving up our passing game.

FlabLoser
09-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Like Bama, LSU, Louisville, Georgia, etc...? I do t understand the "we must have a running QB" crowd when it's obvious we're giving up our passing game.

You don't give up your passing game with a QB that can run and throw. That's the point.

Bama & LSU are old school physical smashmouth football teams. About as old school as is allowed in modern football anyway. That's not who we are. We need a guy that can reasonably run and throw.

hacker
09-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Dak had over 200 yards passing. Tyler has never once had more than 300. I don't see how it's much of a regression in the pass game to start Dak. Dak is a much better passer than Tyler is a runner.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Hack you still have failed to answer what I was asking. We have a young WR core, a defense that is better than the offense, an OL that is better block a space than A man. So understanding that why would you put a QB that has cement in his cleets? You can't answer that without being a homer for Tyler.....PERIOD!

DownwardDawg
09-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Hack, I get frustrated reading your arguments sometimes. I know from your posts that you are a very intelligent person, but you are just hard headed. You key in on one thing and keep driving that point while ignoring the rest of the facts. You know that MSU will NEVER compete with Bama, UGA, LSU by trying to play smashmouth football with a pro style QB. It will never happen, especially when we recruit primarily from Mississippi where 90% of all the QB's play in a spread system that focuses on the run. Tyler is by far the best QB. He would be great at Bama or UGA or USCe. Dak is the better QB for the system that we run. He fits Mullen's team so much better than Russell. We were way better last night with Dak than we've been in the past 7 games with Tyler. That failed offense that you keep referring to in the 2nd half is all on Mullen. He handcuffed Dak completely. He would not let him throw the ball and we went ultra conservative. My wife could have called the defense for Auburn in the 4th quarter last night.
Come on Man!!!!!

Relf2.0
09-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Tyler Russell is statistcally one of if not the best QB in program history. We all dont need to bale on him. Coaching is hurting us just like last year with our Dline coach he called bad defensive plays

missouridawg
09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
UM Dak DID get 1st team reps all week. Tyler was not allowed to participate in "contact" related scenarios. That actually means practice.....not just games. I agree Dak could've given us better opportunities not only in the Ok St game bit he could've won the NW game had Dan pulled Tyler in it.

I'm not talking about 1st team reps the week of the game. I'm talking about first teams reps since August 1st. If Dak has been running read options with great repetition since August 1st, all of us talking about him making the wrong read would not have anything to complain about.

Mullen had a terrible, terrible offseason.

Coach34
09-15-2013, 01:23 PM

wow

I bet you this- Dak will beat as many teams with winning records as Tyler did last year

Coach34
09-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Tyler Russell is statistcally one of if not the best QB in program history.

But that doesnt even make him one of the top 7-8 QB's in the SEC right now- think about that. Our shitty program history at the QB position doesnt make Tyler the correct choice at QB

Coach34
09-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Dak had over 200 yards passing. Tyler has never once had more than 300. I don't see how it's much of a regression in the pass game to start Dak. Dak is a much better passer than Tyler is a runner.

great points there

Relf2.0
09-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Not so sure Dak is the answer either.

Coach34
09-15-2013, 01:53 PM

yet we passed for over 200 yards last night- and were close to Tyler's average per game last season...explain to me how that is "giving up our passing game"?????

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Okay we had 415yds of total offense for the game.

Dak passed for 15/28 213yds 0tds 0INTs and averaged 7.7yds per pass

Dak ran for - 22/133 2 TDs 6.0yds per carry.

Now since Hack wants to be stupid about Tyler's stats here's on for ya. I don't teach math but I know 213+133= 346. And if you take 346-415= 69. So he accounted for ALL but 69 yds if our offense? Can ya boy TR do that? Let that sink in now. REAL DEEP! Truth is the only teams Tyler has beaten are TERRIBLE smaller teams. Dak beat THOSE SAME teams & give us a better chance Vs better teams.

And to the Cards fan who is complaining about reps. Dak was hurt over the preseason.

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Not so sure Dak is the answer either.

Then you must not know the question

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
So now we're giving up on the "spread" and "option" parts of the offense so long as Dak can average 85% of our yards in what is clearly going to be the SEC's most electric 20 points of offense since Tim Couch's days at Kentucky... in a losing effort against the worst defense in our divsion???

Fantastic. Congrats on celebrating a losing effort. once they stacked the box, we didn't do anything. Look at the last 7 drives. We're limited in what we can do with him offensively and if you didn't see that down the stretch then you're lying to yourself or just being bullheaded.

Answer me this: Why is it when the offense stops producing with Tyler it's on Tyler, but when the offense stops producing with Dak it's on the coaches? That doesn't make a damn bit of sense despite the group think on the board lately.

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 02:26 PM
So now we're giving up on the "spread" and "option" parts of the offense so long as Dak can average 85% of our yards in what is clearly going to be the SEC's most electric 20 points of offense since Tim Couch's days at Kentucky... in a losing effort against the worst defense in our divsion???

Fantastic. Congrats on celebrating a losing effort. once they stacked the box, we didn't do anything. Look at the last 7 drives. We're limited in what we can do with him offensively and if you didn't see that down the stretch then you're lying to yourself or just being bullheaded.

Answer me this: Why is it when the offense stops producing with Tyler it's on Tyler, but when the offense stops producing with Dak it's on the coaches? That doesn't make a damn bit of sense despite the group think on the board lately.

Hack, you're losing your mind. We had more creativity through 3 quarters yesterday than we had in the previous 7 or 8 games with TR! The only reason we didn't score more than 20 was because Dan shit his pants on the play calling and went conservative. How are you so blind to see this? You seem like a knowledgeable football guy 99% of the time, but this is clearly that 1% where you are letting your love for Tyler cloud your judgement.

Dak opened up so many more options for our offense last night.

Coach 57
09-15-2013, 02:33 PM
^^^^Bingo!!^^^^^^^

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 02:43 PM
More Points:

50 of our 68 plays went to Dak. That's not the concept of the spread.

No other back got more than 8 carries.

We had 3 WRs make a catch.

Our RBs and TEs total had 4 receptions.

We had the ball for 18 minutes in the 2nd half and scored once.

We were 0-7 on 3rd downs in the 2nd half.

We had under 80 yards on our last 6 possessions, including damn near 20 on the last play of the game.

We had 3 first downs in the 4th Qt: 1) on 4th down, 2) on 4th down, and 3) on the last play of the game.

Our offense is woefully inadequate and has been so with both QBs. It took the shittiest defense in the SEC West two quarters and one drive to figure us out... and we got SHUT DOWN. Period.

You can blame Dan with Dak, and blame Tyler with Tyler if you want to... but you're just lying to yourself. Our offense has looked like shit with both of them outside of Alcorn and one half against Auburn.

PassInterference
09-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Get back to me with any evidence that Tyler has better 2nd half numbers.

I would agree that 1) we didn't spread it around enough, 2) we played too many RBs with none of them being able to get into a rhythm, and 3) Dak might have been selfish on his zone read plays.

Mullen's offense at every school he has coached has been predicated on the QB to being a running threat. TR is not that guy.

maroonmania
09-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Let's go ahead and get the bad stuff out if the way.

Our staff lost this game, no doubt. 3rd down conversions are what killed us in this one. And bad playcalling helped inflict it. Especially late in the game. But it can be fixed! Stop comparing this season to 09'. We have FAR better skill guys! We are also upgraded at QB. But if you don't fix the playcalling it won't matter. But I feel sure we will. People Dan isn't going any where right now. We are very invested in him and I actually think IF Dak plays from here in out we can still make a bowl game. Arkansas didn't look good at home Vs USM. But it will come down to the Egg Bowl.

Our fanbase is in disarray right now. Our players are talking about us in twitter and do you not think recruits see that too? Do you think they don't hear it? Guys had we made Bell's FG on our first drive & made the PAT we would've been in O.T. If we would've won the game would you have still been happy? There are some things we need to tighten up, yes. But good gracious! Our DBs showed they were very young & blew coverage at least 6 times. We face a real QB and the game might be a blow out! We just happened to get in the graces of the Lord on those plays. We only got caught 2 times out of 6. Our tackling wasn't good either. No one is saying anything about that?

He fires up the offensive line too. And they played pretty decent in the game. They didn't look like a below avg OL like they do because Dak fits their skill set & fits our scheme. Gotta give some love that way too.

Our WRs looked pretty good too. I notice Dak likes throwing to Morrow. And in the last 2 weeks Morrow has looked like the guy we thought he'd be. They just need more time.

Overall I'm not up or down about this game. I feel like we should've won the game but at the same time I saw some improvement from our players too. I want to see more Dak! I want to see Mullen build this season on who'll be here next year. I see us beating Troy, BG, UK, Ark & our season will come down to 1 game that we have AT HOME! And our fanbase we be stupid excited to have here. The ReBearSharks might blow out a Charmin soft Texas team. But let me tell you this they aren't as good as everybody thinks they are. RIGHT now they are slightly better than us, but we ARE getting better week to week. It should be clearly evident even to people who don't have a lot of football I.Q. Stop worrying about firing Dan and worry more about keeping these kids a good place to come home to!

Well I'm sorry that our players are disappointed in us as fans and if we do have fans that are tweeting directly at players then the players have a right to be ill at us as those fans our idiots. BUT our fans in general have every right to be frustrated and ill right now and discuss our frustrations on message boards with each other. We pour THOUSANDS of dollars of our income into supporting this program and have MULTI-MILLIONS of dollars being spent on upgrades for the program right now yet we haven't beaten a BCS team that ended up with a winning record (minus WF in a bowl game I guess) since 2010. And we seem to lose EVERY game against a decent team that goes down to the wire usually due to poor game strategy from our coaching staff at crunch time. I'm not sure what kind of polyanna reactions they are expecting from us. Last night was the time for the team to stand up and be counted but we are always one play short or one first down short or one defensive stop short, blah blah blah. It really doesn't matter as it just goes down as our 7th loss in our last 8 attempts against an FBS school.

berr6728
09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Fall scrimmages start Friday October 4th. Will be there. Come see me at box 13.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr6728@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499