PDA

View Full Version : More hope for Freeze....Florida International University women's BBALL coach....

Dawgowar
06-17-2017, 05:21 PM
He paid, one player, $600 so she could pay an off an outstanding balance on her student account and take a course To maintain her eligibility.

The case went to summary disposition from the outset. Total exemplary cooperation.

2 year showcase was handed down. Head coach and university appealed the decision and were granted an urgent appeal hearing....which was denied.

1 player. 1 violation. All wins with that player ---singular player --- vacated.

Head coach 2 year show cause. Appeal denied.

Oh, and the panel used the new guidelines.

1 player. 1 violation. 2 year show cause.

Appeal denied.

Link
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/former-florida-international-university-women-s-basketball-coach-acted-unethically

GreenheadDawg
06-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Damnit boy. That's good news for them **

RocketDawg
06-17-2017, 05:34 PM
If Freeze gets a show cause for football ... could he take over as women's BB coach? They need a new one, and Hugh has experience.

Jack Lambert
06-17-2017, 05:47 PM
We all know the Ole Miss makes the best Lawyers and what I mean by best willing to do anything illegal or unethical to win and that is a proven fact.

Saltydog
06-17-2017, 05:59 PM
hell outta them for wrongful termination. What Freeze has done is far more egregious and they haven't terminated him but did Wiggins. I'm too lazy to look it up but is Wiggins a "minority"? He should lawyer up.

Mimi's Babies
06-17-2017, 06:56 PM
hell outta them for wrongful termination. What Freeze has done is far more egregious and they haven't terminated him but did Wiggins. I'm too lazy to look it up but is Wiggins a "minority"? He should lawyer up.

Wiggins might want to contact Houston Nutt's attorney, Mr. Mars. Mr, Mars was the former employment attorney for Wal-mart.....

Drugs Delaney
06-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Damnit boy. That's good news for them **

This is a good thing

maroonmania
06-18-2017, 07:42 AM
See you have to understand that the difference is that at these other schools there were rules broken intentionally to gain a competitive advantage, whereas with UNM, its just "mistakes" that were made. That's why the Bears and Freeze will get off with a very light punishment, while these other schools all had sinister motives, Freeze and company only had the best interests of the student athlete at heart and yes, inadvertently broke a few rules, but it was only because they were so focused on helping underprivileged families and their children.***

Political Hack
06-18-2017, 09:14 AM
That's absurd. 2 years for that?

WSOPdawg
06-18-2017, 09:25 AM

It just shows everyone how bad it's going to be for TCUN and Freezus.

17 those sh!tbirds!!!

Dawgowar
06-18-2017, 09:26 AM

I would agree, but the difference between the old punishment system (as Pitino was judged on) and the absolute accountability under the new matrix seems pretty brutal. I only went back through early March on these decisions. There was a UVA one where a handful of assistants came up with a scheme to confirm height and weight of prospects by taking photos next to the recruits. Apart from the opportunity to make some bad jokes it seemed minor. The NCAA went really light on that one.

I remember last fall I saw a case where a head coach for golf got a 1 year show cause for giving a lesson to a recruit after he signed.

The use of the show cause may be the one tool that brings recruiting under control. Time will tell.

LC Dawg
06-18-2017, 09:52 AM

This reminds me of the Tarkanian quote that the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they are going to give Cleveland State another year of probation.
It seems the NCAA is proving how tough they are with non P5 schools. The Ole Miss case is really going to show if the NCAA is full of shit or not.

sandwolf
06-18-2017, 11:22 AM
The use of the show cause may be the one tool that brings recruiting under control. Time will tell.It will keep the coaches from participating, but the only way to totally bring it under control is to hit schools with penalties that are so insanely harsh that boosters no longer consider it because the risk is clearly not worth the reward.

Dawgowar
06-18-2017, 12:24 PM
This reminds me of the Tarkanian quote that the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they are going to give Cleveland State another year of probation.
It seems the NCAA is proving how tough they are with non P5 schools. The Ole Miss case is really going to show if the NCAA is full of shit or not.

Also UNC. Those allegations, like UNM's 21, split both the old and new systems of penalties. That is the sticking point with UNC not yet submitting a response.

In both cases the NCAA has to act. Their credibility is on the line in a big way.

Dawgowar
06-18-2017, 12:29 PM
It will keep the coaches from participating, but the only way to totally bring it under control is to hit schools with penalties that are so insanely harsh that boosters no longer consider it because the risk is clearly not worth the reward.

Honestly, they need to make the kids taking the benefits permanently ineligible. I would like the COI to hand down the institutional penalties then advise varying penalties for athletes. Suspensions if they cooperated and told the truth, lifetime bans if they lied or refused to cooperate.

Paying athletes should be done, but only to those who become academically qualified and have enrolled at their school. Inducement to attend a school is what needs to be addressed in order to maintain a fair playing field. Two different issues in my book. Kids that make universities $ - pay them. Kids who have not enrolled - No way. Earn it like everyone else.

blacklistedbully
06-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Honestly, they need to make the kids taking the benefits permanently ineligible. I would like the COI to hand down the institutional penalties then advise varying penalties for athletes. Suspensions if they cooperated and told the truth, lifetime bans if they lied or refused to cooperate.

Paying athletes should be done, but only to those who become academically qualified and have enrolled at their school. Inducement to attend a school is what needs to be addressed in order to maintain a fair playing field. Two different issues in my book. Kids that make universities $ - pay them. Kids who have not enrolled - No way. Earn it like everyone else.

Paying athletes by rule would not stop cheating. It will only drive up prices. The benefits athletes already receive are worth a lot of money, and they are getting those benefits to play a sport nearly all of them would play for free if that was the way it was.

RocketDawg
06-18-2017, 01:30 PM
It will keep the coaches from participating, but the only way to totally bring it under control is to hit schools with penalties that are so insanely harsh that boosters no longer consider it because the risk is clearly not worth the reward.

It's not the only way. Boosters paying players could be made to be actually illegal and punishable, but that's not going to happen. At the least though, it shows that the boosters "love" themselves and their need to win more than they "love" their school. If they're so all in on their school they're not going to do something that will cause harm to the institution.