06-17-2017, 08:10 AM
http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/cw/en-us/job/495864/assistant-baseball-coach

Interesting...

Cann should post the job here, several qualified candidates post here ****

msbulldog
06-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Now that's funny!
Hope Henderson is not leaving, he and Canny are an excellent combination.

Steakonastick
06-17-2017, 08:41 AM
It's Coggin. Also, don't look for Brown to be back either. Canny wants to bring in his guys besides Henderson.

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 08:48 AM
If it's Coggin I wish him the best.

His strengths are recruiting Mississippi and the JUCO's. I think Cann is going to go away from that and really the volunteer assistant spot that Brown currently has would be sufficient for a Mississippi connections guy like a Jarrod Parks. The hitting coach spot that Coggin has needs to be someone that can go off campus and recruit and evaluate talent.

I bet Cann has someone in mind that has a similar scouting background as he does.

Commercecomet24
06-17-2017, 09:07 AM

You mean overqualified*******

AROB44
06-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Several? Lots more than "several"....

lamont
06-17-2017, 09:22 AM
No doubt we have some qualified here.

Lots of us figured out Cann needed to sit Belmont long before he did it

Bully13
06-17-2017, 09:33 AM
If it's Coggin I wish him the best.

His strengths are recruiting Mississippi and the JUCO's. I think Cann is going to go away from that and really the volunteer assistant spot that Brown currently has would be sufficient for a Mississippi connections guy like a Jarrod Parks. The hitting coach spot that Coggin has needs to be someone that can go off campus and recruit and evaluate talent.

I bet Cann has someone in mind that has a similar scouting background as he does.

yep. Cann's specialty is crootin, evaluating talent , and hitting instructing. hope the best for Coggin but I'm not worried about Cann's ability to find a replacement.

Dawg61
06-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Wish some of us had been in charge of the pitching changes in the 2nd game vs LSU. That was brutal

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Wish some of us had been in charge of the pitching changes in the 2nd game vs LSU. That was brutal

I don't think Joe Torre could have done any better muchess any of us. It's almost impossible to manage with a pitching staff in that condition.

Saltydog
06-17-2017, 10:27 AM
NT

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Look for Matt Riser the HC at Southeastern Louisiana to potentially be in the mix.

RocketDawg
06-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Crap ... there are several here who are qualified, maybe over-qualified, for CANNY's job. **

preachermatt83
06-17-2017, 12:33 PM
It's Coggin. Also, don't look for Brown to be back either. Canny wants to bring in his guys besides Henderson.

Brown was not brought in by Cann?

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Brown was not brought in by Cann?

No- Brown is a Cohen guy.

A couple of other MSU boards have mentioned Chad Caillet from USM as a candidate as well.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2017, 12:49 PM
No- Brown is a Cohen guy.

A couple of other MSU boards have mentioned Chad Caillet from USM as a candidate as well.

Who is he? And is Brown the 3rd base coach? I wasn't a big fan

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Who is he? And is Brown the 3rd base coach? I wasn't a big fan

Brown is the third assistant coach that took Coggin's spot when Coggin became the hitting coach. Yes he was the third base coach.

Jacksondevildog
06-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Calliet would be phenomenal.

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Calliet would be phenomenal.

Yes. Would be a great hire and make us better

I seen it dawg
06-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Don't count out Jake Gautreau. Also I told him I just couldn't leave my day job to hit the recruiting trail. I'll just continue to help in the capacity I am now.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Look for Matt Riser the HC at Southeastern Louisiana to potentially be in the mix.

His AD has State connections. Great guy.

KB21
06-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Kendall Rogers is saying it is Jake Gautreau. Likely to be announced Monday.

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Kendall Rogers is saying it is Jake Gautreau. Likely to be announced Monday.

Have heard good things about him.

KB21
06-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Gautreau and Cannizaro were the 2B/SS combo at Tulane way back in the day.

state66
06-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Where is Jake Gautreau at now?

bulldogcountry1
06-17-2017, 03:31 PM
If Coggin is out, then I'm sure he will find success elsewhere. Our hitting improved when he came along, and he seemed like a relentless recruiter.

I wondered if Cann would try to go after his guys, even after overachieving this spring. The staff seemed to work well together. It's even more encouraging to know that Cann isn't afraid to make tough decisions. He seems like a guy that can get along with anyone, but had the balls to cut Cyr and Marerro with an already depleted roster. Looks like he's doing what he feels needs to be done with assistants as well, not to imply that they didn't do their jobs well.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-17-2017, 03:34 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/KendallRogersD1/status/876168065473556480
Kendall Rogers says it's Jake G.

KB21
06-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Where is Jake Gautreau at now?

Working for the Boras corp.

Outside Dawg
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Working for the Boras corp.

For the completely uninformed, what would he have been doing at Boras Corp? Evaluating high school talent? An agent?

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2017, 04:16 PM
For the completely uninformed, what would he have been doing at Boras Corp? Evaluating high school talent? An agent?

Yes

This is potentially huge for us as 4 or 5 Boras clients will pass on the draft each season and end up going to college. Florida and Vanderbilt get most of these players, but having someone associated with Boras now working for us, means we have a chance to land some.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Again I say....not many understand fully what we have in our head baseball coach...

AlSwearengen
06-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Yes

This is potentially huge for us as 4 or 5 Boras clients will pass on the draft each season and end up going to college. Florida and Vanderbilt get most of these players, but having someone associated with Boras now working for us, means we have a chance to land some.

I remember a couple of years ago hearing one of the many baseball writers saying that a lot of florida's recruiting success could be attributed to their coaching staff being made up of former scouts.

dawg1
06-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Both of Florida's asst coaches were former scouts. One has 14 yrs as a scout, the other 16 yrs as a scout.
http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?path=baseball&

BankerDog
06-17-2017, 04:54 PM
A coach hiring friends? Seems as though Cann is starting his own country club***

In all seriousness, this looks like a great hire. Cann is the true hitting coach. Coggin didn't do much of anything except "recruit". Cann had actually moved him from 3rd to 1st base coach. I think Brown stays on..

ZedFedder
06-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Wonder how it will affect some of our recruits.

Homedawg
06-17-2017, 05:33 PM

I can't see it having it matter much. It's not like coggin is some glorious talker and recruit idol. He just did he job, which is sell our program. Not tough to do.

BorneDawg
06-17-2017, 05:54 PM

Yeah they have the tRophies and awards to Prove it..****

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Yes

I've wanted us to have a Boras connection for years now. We finally have one!

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2017, 06:47 PM
I remember a couple of years ago hearing one of the many baseball writers saying that a lot of florida's recruiting success could be attributed to their coaching staff being made up of former scouts.

This is true.

Florida has 2 assistants that were former scouts and O'Sullivan was a pitching coach in the Twins organization.

Throw in connections with agents and they are able to commit the best players in FL when they are in the 9th grade and work them to school.

State82
06-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Again I say....not many understand fully what we have in our head baseball coach...

This. Cohen is an intelligent individual. Very intelligent. He knew exactly what he was doing when he made that hire.

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2017, 06:48 PM

This. Canny is really good, but there are numerous advantages he brings beyond his own coaching ability.

Our talent should be close to the best it's been in our history in about 3 years.

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 06:54 PM
I like the fact that we are starting to get more and more pro baseball connections- Cann with his scouting background and now Gautreau with his background as an agent- is something we simply have never had before. I like the fact that both Cann and Gautreau used to play in the pros as well.

The Federalist Engineer
06-17-2017, 07:02 PM
I like the fact that we are starting to get more and more pro baseball connections- Cann with his scouting background and now Gautreau with his background as an agent- is something we simply have never had before. I like the fact that both Cann and Gautreau used to play in the pros as well.

We are cooking with gas, boys! This is a serious commitment to recruiting excellence

MarketingBully
06-17-2017, 08:34 PM
If Henderson does go anywhere, look for Dunn to get the nod as pitching coach. There are strong rumors from LSU fans this may happen.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2017, 08:37 PM
And I'm not sold on Dunn. Recruiting yes developing guys meh

I seen it dawg
06-17-2017, 08:37 PM

About the same as you do

Dawg61
06-17-2017, 09:28 PM
About the same as you do

https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GIF-laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Ron-Swanson-GIF.gif

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 09:37 PM
And I'm not sold on Dunn. Recruiting yes developing guys meh

I have a feeling his guys might be a little mentally tougher away from Manieri.

MarketingBully
06-17-2017, 10:02 PM
I have a feeling his guys might be a little mentally tougher away from Manieri.

I don't think many coaches like working for Manieri

Todd4State
06-17-2017, 10:26 PM
I don't think many coaches like working for Manieri

Exhibit A tonight- they score on a lucky play and during the in game interview Manieri proudly talks about how it was his idea to send Freeman. What a douche.

Commercecomet24
06-17-2017, 11:29 PM

I seen it is right again! Cann is the new generation of baseball coach. He knows what makes these young people tick these days and speaks their language while retaining the red ass edge of old school coaches. He's a winner and we should be dang glad cohen knew what he was doing in hiring Cann.

Todd4State
06-18-2017, 01:43 AM
I seen it is right again! Cann is the new generation of baseball coach. He knows what makes these young people tick these days and speaks their language while retaining the red ass edge of old school coaches. He's a winner and we should be dang glad cohen knew what he was doing in hiring Cann.

Totally agree and I can't wait to see how he shapes his staff. I never would have thought to hire a guy with Scott Boras ties. Cann is just very advanced and ahead of the curve.

maroonmania
06-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Totally agree and I can't wait to see how he shapes his staff. I never would have thought to hire a guy with Scott Boras ties. Cann is just very advanced and ahead of the curve.

Yep, I still find it very hard to believe he is a Tulane alum and somehow they passed on him.

bulldogcountry1
06-19-2017, 06:03 AM
Can someone explain how having Boras ties and experience as an agent is so advantageous? I guess I'm not following.

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Can someone explain how having Boras ties and experience as an agent is so advantageous? I guess I'm not following.

When a kid becomes a potential pro prospect at a young age, agents begin to recognize him and hope to get him to choose their agency to represent him. Once the agent represents him, he can begin to influence where that kid goes to school and how much the signability is.

Having a good relationship with an agent means that the school has a greater chance of having a player pushed towards them and the signability being high enough that he actually gets to school.

fader2103
06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
When a kid becomes a potential pro prospect at a young age, agents begin to recognize him and hope to get him to choose their agency to represent him. Once the agent represents him, he can begin to influence where that kid goes to school and how much the signability is.

Having a good relationship with an agent means that the school has a greater chance of having a player pushed towards them and the signability being high enough that he actually gets to school.

Wouldn't having a relationship with a scout out of high school hurt eligibility? I know if they don't sign then they are still considered amateurs, but just having contacts?

Todd4State
06-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't having a relationship with a scout out of high school hurt eligibility? I know if they don't sign then they are still considered amateurs, but just having contacts?

You mean agents- not scouts? What happens is the agent is an "advisor" until the player signs his first pro contract and then the agent gets their money on the back end. It has been going on for years and years and the NCAA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

AlSwearengen
06-19-2017, 12:29 PM
You mean agents- not scouts? What happens is the agent is an "advisor" until the player signs his first pro contract and then the agent gets their money on the back end. It has been going on for years and years and the NCAA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

That is what happened with the second baseman from lsu that left there about three years ago. His name is slipping me right now, but he was from south ms. Todd will tell us his name, but he had a big name agent (maybe boras) advising him. Everyone thought he was a sure fire first rounder, but he wanted too much money and ended up at lsu.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
That is what happened with the second baseman from lsu that left there about three years ago. His name is slipping me right now, but he was from south ms. Todd will tell us his name, but he had a big name agent (maybe boras) advising him. Everyone thought he was a sure fire first rounder, but he wanted too much money and ended up at lsu.

Jacoby Jones I think is who you are referring to. Not sure of the details you mention, but he is from Richton. He is with the Tigers organization now.

Randolph Dupree
06-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Cann is about to take us to a whole new level. It is clear that he understands how the recruiting game works from all angles and he is leveraging that knowledge. What's scary is he understands the onfield game and motivational side just as well, I think the 'The Best is Yet to Come' for the Diamond Dawgs.