PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Summer League players/teams

CadaverDawg
06-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Sorry if already posted somewhere, but this is a full list of our guys and where they'll be playing this summer. (Including the incoming guys that are playing)

http://hailstate.com/news/2017/6/15/baseball-20-current-diamond-dawgs-participating-in-summer-ball-leagues.aspx

Anyone know why Billingsley isn't listed on a team, and why Price isn't going to the Cape?

BrunswickDawg
06-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Sorry if already posted somewhere, but this is a full list of our guys and where they'll be playing this summer. (Including the incoming guys that are playing)

http://hailstate.com/news/2017/6/15/baseball-20-current-diamond-dawgs-participating-in-summer-ball-leagues.aspx

Anyone know why Billingsley isn't listed on a team, and why Price isn't going to the Cape?

Deleted - wrong info

state66
06-16-2017, 03:52 PM
So I am guessing Reed Smith is going to transfer. How can a kid be a 10/10 on perfect game and not even scratch our starting lineup this year.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2017, 03:59 PM
You can't read anything into Reed Smith situation from this. Relax on the melt

somebodyshotmypaw
06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Interesting that we have a guy playing in the Cal Ripkin (not Ripken) league.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2017, 04:48 PM
We really need Alexander to make a jump in the Cape. And I expect Stovall to improve even more, he's going to be really good.

JoseBrown
06-16-2017, 04:56 PM
NM

The Federalist Engineer
06-16-2017, 05:14 PM
So I am guessing Reed Smith is going to transfer. How can a kid be a 10/10 on perfect game and not even scratch our starting lineup this year.

I guess he's gone...the position player HS recruiting class of 2016 is almost a complete BUST...Severance, Coffers, Will Brooks, and Reed Smith are Done...we are down to Skelton.

This sucks, Cohen botched 2016 like he did 2014, Im glad this dude fired himself

Todd4State
06-16-2017, 05:48 PM
I guess he's gone...the position player HS recruiting class of 2016 is almost a complete BUST...Severance, Coffers, Will Brooks, and Reed Smith are Done...we are down to Skelton.

This sucks, Cohen botched 2016 like he did 2014, Im glad this dude fired himself

2016 is not nearly as bad as 2014. Skelton was drafted by the Blue Jays and he will be very good by the time he graduates. We've already gotten a lot out of Self and Ashcraft and McQuary are also guys that could be SEC weekend starters.

And as Iseenit said- let's pump the brakes on Reed Smith. At least until something official comes down.

Cohen does deserve credit for stepping down when he did and how he has handled it. Most coaches bleed the turnip and form cronies and it becomes a sad and bad process for us culminating in a three-four year rebuild and us having to endure a Rick Ray/Croom hire to "fix things" until we actually end up hiring a better coach to get us back to where we were. I expect Cohen to still have a major impact for us in baseball- but it will be more like a GM/owner type role. We've already seen that in the form of pushing the Lofts through after it looked like they would not happen. And I think behind the scenes he will help us level out the TOPS/Vandy "hardship" scholarship advantage by helping Cann get more academic scholarship money for our players.

Some of the recruiting issues have to fall on Mingione too. He had a good year with a team that he inherited from Gary Henderson. I wouldn't be surprised if they return to being average very soon. A lot of his contacts were JUCO heavy and I think we will start to go away from relying on them so much going forward. Then again, the JUCO route has worked a little bit better overall for UK but I think part of that is because they typically play an easier OOC schedule than we do.

I think Cann is going to take our recruiting to the next level- but because of how the recruiting cycles fall plus a small junior class on our team this year we will only start to see it starting next year. Tanner Allen is just a preview of what we are going to start seeing. And then there are things that help us like Cann helping Cody Brown get a free agent deal with the Yankees after he wasn't drafted. To be able to tell a recruit's family that if something happens where their son doesn't get drafted for whatever reason Cann can make some phone calls and still get them a shot in pro baseball is helpful in the baseball risk/reward game.

Todd4State
06-16-2017, 05:55 PM
We really need Alexander to make a jump in the Cape. And I expect Stovall to improve even more, he's going to be really good.

Especially if Gridley doesn't come back to school. LA needs to do it for himself. He's going to have some competition and I don't think Cann will hesitate to play someone playing better.

That said, I could see LA having a similar career arc as Kramer Robertson potentially- even as annoying as he is as a player. Robertson really struggled until his junior year when per Robertson "Cann saved my career". Robertson also struggled with injuries through his sophomore year as well like LA. LA has the potential to be an All-SEC player. He wouldn't have been invited to the Cape or made Team USA as a 7th grader if he was completely worthless as a player. He was among the team leaders in home runs this year despite struggling and really to me it's just about him making some adjustments at the plate and being more patient on certain pitches.

Going to the Cape and hitting with wood bats and facing high level competition does seem to help most players. Gridley made quite a jump between his sophomore year and junior year even though he didn't exactly light up Cape Cod pitching.

lamont
06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Anybody else find it funny they put Belmont on another team away from Magnum, Stovall, and Barlow?

Hopefully he has a good summer and gets the bat going.

BrunswickDawg
06-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Anybody else find it funny they put Belmont on another team away from Magnum, Stovall, and Barlow?

Hopefully he has a good summer and gets the bat going.
Pretty sure they have a limit on how many players from one college can play on the same Cape team.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2017, 07:22 PM
When should we know official word on Gridley? Get him back & we're in business

Todd4State
06-16-2017, 07:41 PM
I believe the deadline is July 7th.

The Federalist Engineer
06-16-2017, 08:22 PM
2016 is not nearly as bad as 2014. Skelton was drafted by the Blue Jays and he will be very good by the time he graduates. We've already gotten a lot out of Self and Ashcraft and McQuary are also guys that could be SEC weekend starters.

If Skelton becomes Buster Posey, then great, he will be surrounded by underclassmen and last minute JUCOS in 2019.

This cake is baked...it's on Cann to end this cycle of disaster

BorneDawg
06-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Y'all Remeber he missed last year's off season with broke hand. I really think he woulda done better this year had he not missed all those reps. Plus this year Cann was playi.g with his swing wanting him to stay back and try to hit more center- right

Todd4State
06-16-2017, 09:20 PM
If Skelton becomes Buster Posey, then great, he will be surrounded by underclassmen and last minute JUCOS in 2019.

This cake is baked...it's on Cann to end this cycle of disaster

Well, I don't think he will become Buster Posey. I won't complain if that happens though!

I think Cann will end the relying on JUCO's so much cycle. Here's what 2019 could look like

C- Skelton- Jr.
1B- Lovell- So.
2B- Maybe Stovall if he stays then Tanner Allen Sr. or So.
3B- Jordan Westburg- So.
SS- LA- Sr.
LF- Blaylock RS Jr.
CF- Jordan Anderson So.
RF- Josh Hatcher- So.
DH- J. T. Ginn- Fr.

Obviously very rough outline of what we could look like but that's a pretty good team on paper without really any JUCO's.

The Federalist Engineer
06-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Well, I don't think he will become Buster Posey. I won't complain if that happens though!

I think Cann will end the relying on JUCO's so much cycle. Here's what 2019 could look like

C- Skelton- Jr.
1B- Lovell- So.
2B- Maybe Stovall if he stays then Tanner Allen Sr. or So.
3B- Jordan Westburg- So.
SS- LA- Sr.
LF- Blaylock RS Jr.
CF- Jordan Anderson So.
RF- Josh Hatcher- So.
DH- J. T. Ginn- Fr.

Obviously very rough outline of what we could look like but that's a pretty good team on paper without really any JUCO's.

Based on Cody Brown's and Rooker's trajectory after Redshirting as Freshmen, Blaylock is worth being patient with. The sophomores in your lineup should be multi-year studs.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2017, 09:44 PM
I've got faith Cann will do what needs to be done in all facets of the program. I don't think many here fully understand what we have finally gotten to lead our baseball program.

Todd4State
06-16-2017, 10:15 PM
I've got faith Cann will do what needs to be done in all facets of the program. I don't think many here fully understand what we have finally gotten to lead our baseball program.

Yes- people need to understand that we're in a transition phase right now on several levels. To convey it to people- this team that we had could very well be Cann's worst at MSU. We went to a SR this year. Let that sink in. And it's only going to get better once Cann has fully implemented his recruiting and brings his players in. When I say that, I don't mean to slight the current players because most of them are very talented and at least one could end up being a first round pick. Cann has scouting and MLB connections that we simply have never had before at MSU- and that's what Vanderbilt, Florida, and what LSU used to have Cann. It's very difficult to find a coach that has those kind of evaluation background and connections and can also develop players and coach. For example- Florida has two assistants with scouting backgrounds but how most Florida players turnout despite many of them being highly rated leads me to believe that they don't develop talent very well in general. Or at least as well as Derek Johnson did at Vanderbilt or Cann did at LSU and is doing at MSU.

I think what we will look like in about 2019 is what LSU looks like now to give people a comparison. Cohen wasn't blowing smoke up our skirts when he said that Cann was a better coach than him- and Cohen led us to the CWS Finals and won the SEC. I was skeptical of that at first because of Cann's lack of experience plus the fact that he had assistants that weren't his own and a lot of injured pitchers. But Cann proved that it's true. And Rooker and Cody Brown's recent comments back that up too. There's a very good reason why Manieri flipped his lid when Cann left. Cohen basically took his nest egg and made it a lot harder on them to be another LSU dynasty- which means Manieri's life is about to get pretty difficult.