PDA

View Full Version : Good job Rick Cleveland...

Leroy Jenkins
06-16-2017, 03:08 PM
The I didn't know defense, is not a defense.

https://mississippitoday.org/2017/06/16/ncaas-suspension-of-louisville-coach-doesnt-bode-well-for-freeze-ole-miss/

"The NCAA says it is Pitino’s job to know what was going on and that if he didn’t know, then he should have."

MSUDAWGFAN
06-16-2017, 03:25 PM
I didn't know it was illegal and went to work and told some of my co-workers. One of them told me a story where someone went hunting and got caught by the game warden doing something illegal. He went in front of the judge with the defense that he didn't know what he did was illegal. I remember the quote exactly. He said the judge told him "Ignorance is a terrible thing, but it doesn't make it legal." I think this will apply to Hugh Freeze. The difference between Freeze and Pitino is that Pitino was not specifically named. Freeze has been.

Mimi's Babies
06-16-2017, 04:18 PM
I told you so..... https://mississippitoday.org/2017/06/16/ncaas-suspension-of-louisville-coach-doesnt-bode-well-for-freeze-ole-miss/

Many will remember that Ole Miss received major NCAA sanctions two times in a seven-year period. Most of the violations were what we have come to expect in these NCAA cases: gifts to players, including cash and at least one car. But there was also the rather shocking revelation that Ole Miss football recruits had been transported to Memphis where they attended strip clubs. Among the rules broken was that recruits had been taken more than 30 miles off campus. (copied from Mississippi Today)

FYI -- Mr. Cleveland there is more to this story......

dawgs
06-16-2017, 05:20 PM
NCAA also punished USC because while they couldn't prove one or more of the coaches knew about Reggie bush getting paid by the agent, that they should have know he was getting paid by the agent.

Bullsy
06-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Louisville says that $5400 is not much for strippers..... are they insulting the strippers?

Strippers matter too!!

BeardoMSU
06-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Louisville says that $5400 is not much for strippers..... are they insulting the strippers?

Strippers matter too!!

Well, according to Wolf of Wall Street, they fall either in the "blue chip", "Nasdaq", or "pink sheet" classification.

Jack Lambert
06-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Seems like the NCAA punish Football harder then Basketball.

Spiderman
06-16-2017, 08:39 PM

https://mississippitoday.org/2017/06/16/ncaas-suspension-of-louisville-coach-doesnt-bode-well-for-freeze-ole-miss/

"The NCAA says it is Pitino’s job to know what was going on and that if he didn’t know, then he should have."

same as i posted yesterday.

Despite their optimism, L'Ville's penalties were in no way "good news" for Ole Miss

shrimp
06-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Please pray for Rick's safety.

Mimi's Babies
06-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Seems like the NCAA punish Football harder then Basketball.

The mafia type crap just runs deeper in football than basketball......

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Rick made the comparison of Louisville's basketball suspension to OM football game suspension...

The football equivalent of a five-conference basketball game suspension would be two.

If Freeze gets away with only a two game suspension, then that is a win for him given the transgressions he is involved in. I think anything less than 6 games is a win for him. Plus the show cause. On that, I think anything less than 5 is a win for him. All told, I will be disappointed if I don't see a 6 game suspension and a 5 year show cause. Minimum.

Rick also confused me when he described Louisville providing strippers and then said ...

Incredibly, part of Louisville?s defense is that the strippers and sex weren?t all that expensive. Louisville contended that the alleged $5,400 spent was not a significant sum. The NCAA was not amused. Louisville, naturally, has been hammered.

Then he wrote.... The NCAA, in its findings against Louisville made public Thursday, says it doesn?t matter whether Pitino was ignorant of what was going on. The NCAA says it is Pitino?s job to know what was going on and that if he didn?t know, then he should have. Pitino has been charged with ?failure to monitor his program? and suspended five conference games. Again, this is pending appeal. (One wonders why Louisville would appeal this. Considering the transgressions, it seems the proverbial slap on the wrist.)

So, in one paragraph he wrote that Louisville got hammered and in another wrote it seemed they got a slap on the wrist. That confused me.

To me, if you want to punish a program, you do it first by taking away things that matter GOING FORWARD. Taking away past victories and championships is the right thing to do, but does it really punish a program for cheating the rules? Petino will have pictures, the net and the memories that can't be taken away. The feeling of euphoria that came with winning a national championship and everything else involved can't be taken away. Taking away the Sugar bowl trophy and putting an asterisk in the record book is the right thing to do, but that won't faze Freeze or anyone else.

What is going to matter are the penalties that involve things going forward. The ones that stand out to me are... Game suspensions for Freeze, show causes for Freeze and the other coaches involved, a ban of bowl GAMES (1 will be a win for OM/anything less than 2 and I'm disappointed), the taking away of on campus official recruiting visits for prospects, the taking away of recruiting visits coaches can make off campus; anything else regarding recruiting (phone calls, jr. days,etc,), and then the main one that will actually cause the pain that you want to inflict on a program...a reduction in the number of prospects that you can sign in a year. Anything less than 25 over a 3 year period and it is a win for OM. My satisfaction will be met if I see 40 over 4, although I'm not sure that will be the case. My fingers are crossed however.