PDA

View Full Version : Interesting on Grantham

1bigdawg
06-16-2017, 02:42 PM
One of the top play callers at keeping other teams out of the end zone after they get in the red zone: Grantham

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Top-20-defensive-red-zone-playcallers-over-the-last-4-years

Dallas_Dawg
06-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Oh shit, more bend but don't break!!!!****
Wonder if we have the 1B's???***

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Oh shit, more bend but don't break!!!!****
Wonder if we have the 1B's???***

We had a few 1Cs and 1Ds starting last year.

Reason2succeed
06-16-2017, 04:26 PM
He's behind both Manny Diaz and Geoff Collins. Hopefully that means he also stops drives in the middle of the field before reaching the RZ.

TXDawg
06-16-2017, 08:38 PM
I seem to recall that the biggest complaint UGA and UL fans had about Grantham (when we hired him) was that his defense gives up big plays - I believe the quote from both fan bases was "3rd and Grantham". That would seem to indicate that he possibly gave up some long yardage TD's without the opposing team making it to the redzone.

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but maybe someone else can.

Spiderman
06-16-2017, 09:01 PM
One of the top play callers at keeping other teams out of the end zone after they get in the red zone: Grantham

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Top-20-defensive-red-zone-playcallers-over-the-last-4-years

We've had 3 good DC's in Manny, Collins and Grantham. And a decent one in Torbush.

bdfan09
06-16-2017, 09:09 PM
We've had 3 good DC's in Manny, Collins and Grantham. And a decent one in Torbush.
Torbush was decent?! You aight?

Pollodawg
06-16-2017, 09:40 PM
The year Torbush was here, offense wasn't exactly helping out a whole lot yet. Poor Tyson Lee threw 15,000 interceptions, and we had to run ADs legs off to move the sticks. Lots of three and outs that season. Best D we've had was 2010 and the first half of 2014.

Reason2succeed
06-16-2017, 09:58 PM
But defense wasn't necessarily the problem coming out of the Croom years. Compared to the Croom-coast offense Dan Mullen's first year looked like the Kentucky Air Raid.

I have hope that we might see one of our best defenses this year. The talent is there and there are experienced coaches too. Defense should surprise.

Bothrops
06-16-2017, 10:20 PM
The talent is definitely there on D. If we have the same defensive woes under Grantham, I may have to find a new hobby. I didn't know a defense could be as bad as last season's unit. I've never seen anything like that. Needless to say, it gave me a scare.

sandwolf
06-16-2017, 10:31 PM
I didn't know a defense could be as bad as last season's unit. I've never seen anything like that.+1.....I still have nightmares about that Arkansas game.

Prediction? Pain.
06-16-2017, 10:36 PM
I seem to recall that the biggest complaint UGA and UL fans had about Grantham (when we hired him) was that his defense gives up big plays - I believe the quote from both fan bases was "3rd and Grantham". That would seem to indicate that he possibly gave up some long yardage TD's without the opposing team making it to the redzone.

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but maybe someone else can.

I'm not sure I've ever really understood the "3rd and Grantham" grpies. It must be anecdotal based on isolated games because the stats don't bear it out. In the context of SEC play, he actually only had one bad year at Georgia -- his first. Among SEC teams in conference games, here are UGA's third-down-conversion-defense ranks under Grantham:

2010: 12th
2011: 2nd
2012: 5th
2013: 7th

So yeah, Grantham's 2013 3rd-down defense wasn't great, but it was still in the top half of the conference in SEC play, ranking ahead of LSU, A&M, Tennessee, and U. Miss., among others. And in 2011 and 2012, that obviously wasn't a problem.

Plus, by the same metric -- conference rank in 3rd-down-conversion defense in conference games only -- Grantham's Louisville defenses were stellar:

2014: 3rd
2015: 3rd
2016: 2nd

I've looked up the big-play stats before, but I really don't remember them. I'll take a look.

Edit after quick glance at CFBStats.com:

Grantham's teams' big-play D was medicre-to-good at UGA and good-to-great at Louisville. In SEC games only, UGA was ranked 8th, 3rd, 6th, and 6th at allowing 20+ yard plays in the conference during his four years there. In ACC games only, Louisville was ranked 5th, 4th, and 1st in the same category under Grantham.

Ari Gold
06-16-2017, 10:59 PM
He is the best defensive coach that has been here in the Mullen era. Period.

MarketingBully
06-17-2017, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I think what we can take away from this is if Grantham gets us back to the Collins/Diaz level of defense that is a good thing. The Sirmon experiment was a Rick Ray style shit show anomaly and it will bear itself out after this year.

BuckyIsAB****
06-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Im sorry but Diaz was trash in 2015. Mullen was meddling in the defense every year too to be fair. That wont happen with Grantham, he wouldnt have came here if he knew Mullen was gonna try to tell him how to do his job

AROB44
06-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Im sorry but Diaz was trash in 2015. Mullen was meddling in the defense every year too to be fair. That wont happen with Grantham, he wouldnt have came here if he knew Mullen was gonna try to tell him how to do his job

How does anyone know this for a fact. Or,...is this just more internet rumor that somehow has become fact because it has been repeated so many times.

msstate7
06-17-2017, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure I've ever really understood the "3rd and Grantham" grpies. It must be anecdotal based on isolated games because the stats don't bear it out. In the context of SEC play, he actually only had one bad year at Georgia -- his first. Among SEC teams in conference games, here are UGA's third-down-conversion-defense ranks under Grantham:

2010: 12th
2011: 2nd
2012: 5th
2013: 7th

So yeah, Grantham's 2013 3rd-down defense wasn't great, but it was still in the top half of the conference in SEC play, ranking ahead of LSU, A&M, Tennessee, and U. Miss., among others. And in 2011 and 2012, that obviously wasn't a problem.

Plus, by the same metric -- conference rank in 3rd-down-conversion defense in conference games only -- Grantham's Louisville defenses were stellar:

2014: 3rd
2015: 3rd
2016: 2nd

I've looked up the big-play stats before, but I really don't remember them. I'll take a look.

Edit after quick glance at CFBStats.com:

Grantham's teams' big-play D was medicre-to-good at UGA and good-to-great at Louisville. In SEC games only, UGA was ranked 8th, 3rd, 6th, and 6th at allowing 20+ yard plays in the conference during his four years there. In ACC games only, Louisville was ranked 5th, 4th, and 1st in the same category under Grantham.

Good info

msbulldog
06-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Hell I don't think anybody would try to tell Grantham what to do, you might get bit!
Cohen effect: Cohen put up the money to get a good coach, something that's never been done in our history!
I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised this football season, most all of your predictions are based on fairly sound logic, but I think we are going to see some things this season that go beyond logic.

Spiderman
06-17-2017, 08:12 AM
How does anyone know this for a fact. Or,...is this just more internet rumor that somehow has become fact because it has been repeated so many times.

They don't.

Sirmon was in over his head