PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Penalties Announced

Dawgs87
06-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Pitino suspended from first 5 Conference games.

"Penalties prescribed by the panel include four years of probation for the university; a suspension from the first five Atlantic Coast Conference games of the 2017-18 season for the head coach; a 10-year show-cause order for the former operations director; a one-year show-cause order for a former program assistant; a vacation of basketball records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible from December 2010 and July 2014; men?s basketball scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions; a fine of $5,000, plus the university must return money received through conference revenue sharing for its appearances in the 2012 to 2015 NCAA Division I Men?s Basketball Championships. The panel also accepted the university?s self-imposed 2015-16 postseason ban."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/former-louisville-operations-director-acted-unethically-head-coach-failed-monitor

Ifyouonlyknew
06-15-2017, 10:13 AM
They won the National Championship in 2013. If they have to vacate that that's huge. Also Pitino got a failure to monitor charge & he wasn't even listed in the NOA. That's not good news for Freeze.

Ari Gold
06-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Hey Hugh... you are ****ed.

MedDawg
06-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Pitino suspended from first 5 Conference games.

"Penalties prescribed by the panel include four years of probation for the university; a suspension from the first five Atlantic Coast Conference games of the 2017-18 season for the head coach; a 10-year show-cause order for the former operations director; a one-year show-cause order for a former program assistant; a vacation of basketball records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible from December 2010 and July 2014; men?s basketball scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions; a fine of $5,000, plus the university must return money received through conference revenue sharing for its appearances in the 2012 to 2015 NCAA Division I Men?s Basketball Championships. The panel also accepted the university?s self-imposed 2015-16 postseason ban."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/former-louisville-operations-director-acted-unethically-head-coach-failed-monitor

that occurred before the new rules were put in to place on August 1, 2013. UL was penalized under the old rules for those. Some of OM's worst in the original NOA (academic fraud) occurred under the old rules.

mparkerfd20
06-15-2017, 10:23 AM
I now think Hugh will get suspended but no show cause. The NCAA is WEAAAAAKKKKKKK with this response to Louisville.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-15-2017, 10:24 AM
I now think Hugh will get suspended but no show cause. The NCAA is WEAAAAAKKKKKKK with this response to Louisville.

Maybe but Pitino wasn't named in the NOA & got a failure to monitor charge. Freeze is named multiple times. That's a big distinction. They're shooting for a show cause with Freeze they weren't with Pitino.

ETA: Also a postseason ban & a potential vacating of a national title isn't that weak.

rbdog82
06-15-2017, 10:25 AM
"The panel noted that a head coach does not meet his monitoring responsibility by simply trusting an individual to know NCAA rules and to do the right thing."

Nice try Bucky!

Saltydog
06-15-2017, 10:28 AM
of saying Freeze would get a show cause. I think he referenced a suspension though. Remember who we're dealing with here. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the NCAA to do what they should but hey, maybe that's just me.

mparkerfd20
06-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Maybe but Pitino wasn't named in the NOA & got a failure to monitor charge. Freeze is named multiple times. That's a big distinction. They're shooting for a show cause with Freeze they weren't with Pitino.

ETA: Also a postseason ban & a potential vacating of a national title isn't that weak.

An already self-imposed post-season ban.... Also, vacating a national title does sting, but they still won it on the court.

Bully13
06-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Was petino caught in croots house with a booster?

Dawgology
06-15-2017, 10:33 AM

No. Just...no.

Cooterpoot
06-15-2017, 10:35 AM
I believe Freeze is going to get a 2 year show cause. Barney will get 10 years.

Turfdawg67
06-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Baloney. The NCAA wants Freeze gone... show-cause for sure.

Chip
06-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Can someone post a link to NCAA NOA against Louisville? Not the penalties but the actual NOA

msstatelp1
06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

So you thought U of L would get the death penalty?

sandwolf
06-15-2017, 10:40 AM
The university must also return to the NCAA the money received through conference revenue sharing for its appearances in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championships. Future revenue distributions that are scheduled to be provided to the university from those tournaments also must be withheld by the conference and forfeited to the NCAA.

Damn, what does that come out to? Isn't the NCAA tournament distribution pretty substantial?

Dawgs87
06-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Can someone post a link to NCAA NOA against Louisville? Not the penalties but the actual NOA

There you go

https://www.scribd.com/document/337562521/U-of-L-s-response-to-the-NCAA-s-NOA

Chip
06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks!

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2017, 10:44 AM
An already self-imposed post-season ban.... Also, vacating a national title does sting, but they still won it on the court.

No they didn't win it on the court. They cheated and shouldn't have been on the court to begin with. I feel bad for the people they beat. My second team had to vacate a natty. It tarnished it big time.

BrokerDawg
06-15-2017, 10:45 AM
6 Scholarship losses folks!! That's a 46% reduction! Hey Shitbirds! You are 17ed for a decade! Click an ad!

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2017, 10:46 AM
No. Just...no.

Little Ricky wasn't even named in any of the violations but he still got suspended. Freeze is done.

TrapGame
06-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Freeze will get a show cause. He's done.

mparkerfd20
06-15-2017, 10:54 AM
5 game suspension is weak is all I was saying for Pitino. I expected more. Hugh deserves much much more (5+ yr show cause). I just don't have a lot of faith in the NCAA getting it right. They rarely do.

Dawgology
06-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Little Ricky wasn't even named in any of the violations but he still got suspended. Freeze is done.

EXACTLY!! Anyone....ANYONE....comparing penalties levied against a university currently or in recent memory to what is happening at Ole Miss right now is chasing down the wrong trail. WHY? Because there has been no case (to my knowledge) that has involved this many allegations and to this extent. It seems that almost every coach from their football program since 2010 has been named in the NOA and/or Addendum (except for a few). I think you can look at some recent and current penalties and maybe project some things but here is the deal. Most of these universities have worked with the NCAA. They didn't lie, deflect, or avoid these facts. They seem to have accepted responsibility and took their lumps. To my knowledge none of their boosters have tried to sue anyone in the NCAA or the people who reported them. And it doesn't appear they they were busted for illegal activities WHILE under investigation.

The compounding factors in the Ole Miss case are insane....and confounding. It's almost like they WANT to be destroyed. This is why I have said that they may end up kicked out of the SEC (or opting out). They seem to be wanting to burn the whole thing down around them as they fall...and rumors are that Freeze hasn't made many friends within NCAA coaching circles. That doesn't add up to good things for them.

Crazy conspiracy #1: What if Ole Miss has an under table deal with say the ACC or Big Ten to burn down the SEC, opt out, and they get added to one of those competing conferences. It's a wild theory, I know, but it would make some of this crazy stuff make a little sense anyway. Just a thought I had.

LC Dawg
06-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Pitino getting suspended without being mentioned in the NOA should have Freeze shaking in his shoes. The Rebel media will spin this as a positive sign for them but they know they are screwed.

gtowndawg
06-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Hey Hugh... you are ****ed.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/nmwright4/hey%20hugh_zpsrvwhus4u.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/nmwright4/media/hey%20hugh_zpsrvwhus4u.jpg.html)

Pollodawg
06-15-2017, 11:01 AM
The dude getting suspended without even being named in the NOA don't bode well for a coach not even contesting 14 level ones. Freeze is done for at least a year.

BigEasyDawg
06-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Damn, what does that come out to? Isn't the NCAA tournament distribution pretty substantial?

http://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/how-much-money-ncaa-tournament-earned-conference-2017-basketball-fund-a7a7

The ACC made 30.8 Million off of the tournament last year. The conferences are encouraged to disperse it evenly to each team, but not required too and it is given out over a 6 year period.

Assuming that the ACC divides it up evenly to the 15 teams, it would be 2.05 M for Louisville, and that is JUST THIS PAST SEASON!

Thats alot of dough

Ifyouonlyknew
06-15-2017, 11:06 AM
5 game suspension is weak is all I was saying for Pitino. I expected more. Hugh deserves much much more (5+ yr show cause). I just don't have a lot of faith in the NCAA getting it right. They rarely do.

Oh I agree with you that the 5 games is weak on Pitino. My point was 5 games for a guy not named in a NOA vs a guy who's name is littered all throughout 2 NOA's is not a fair comparison.

Hypnodawg
06-15-2017, 11:20 AM
6 Scholarship losses folks!! That's a 46% reduction! Hey Shitbirds! You are 17ed for a decade! Click an ad!

The way I read it is basically it cost them 1 scholarship a year for 4 years. Basically playing a man down for 4 years. Not a big hit.

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2017, 11:22 AM

UNM puts up banners for everything, do you think if they won a National Title but wasn't allowed to refer to it in anyway wouldn't do more than sting?

Dawgology
06-15-2017, 11:25 AM
The way I read it is basically it cost them 1 scholarship a year for 4 years. Basically playing a man down for 4 years. Not a big hit.

Actually thats a big deal for a basketball team that usually has limited roles. Plus, you don't get to fill that scholly the next year. By the end of the 4 years they are down 6 scholarships which which means they are six men short on a baskket ball team with (what?) 15 scholly available. Basically playing with half a team. That's tough.

AlSwearengen
06-15-2017, 11:27 AM
I had a huge olemiss homer (old man that thinks freeze is Jesus and thought the kimdashians were upstanding young men until he got hit between the eyes with news of their antics) tell me about three months ago "we are in deep shit" and he made no excuses. That was telling.

I'll add that the guy apparently rubs elbows with some of their movers and shakers. He has shown me pictures of thanksgiving and christmas dinners that he attended and they had some of their big name players there.

confucius say
06-15-2017, 11:27 AM

The total is six scholarships over five years. Basketball is allowed thirteen total per season. Football is allowed 85 total per year, so that would be 41 over five years. Pretty substantial.

Dolphus Raymond
06-15-2017, 11:35 AM
I can see 40 over 5 being a reasonable perdition now.

Bucky Dog
06-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Let me go ahead and guess that the Rebel faithful will say this is great news for their case. Obviously, paying for hook, I mean strippers, is far worse than a rogue booster giving a player or two a few t shirts!! And Pitino is an unGodly man as he was caught fornicating with a woman other than his wife in a local restaurant and Freeze would never subject himself to that!! And an entire staff basically, under the coaches watch are all involved and named in various allegations.

I mean the whole case against OM is strictly RR and Leo Lewis, right!?!****. It has nothing to do with Tunsil, or KimD, Treadwell, Little, Conner, Bowie, and many others such as Bo or T, and the likes does it? And State is the sole school that turned them in, set them up, and started all of this right? Never mind Georgia, Bama, LSU, Nebraska, OK, Texas, AnM, Michigan or others.

Yeah it sucks being you right now. The tourniquet is off and the slow drip of blood is now pouring. The only way to save the life is cut the arm off. Your choice.

Dawgology
06-15-2017, 11:42 AM
I can see 40 over 5 being a reasonable perdition now.

I agree I think 40-50 over 5 years and several 10 year showcauses handed out. Freeze included. Probably a 2-3 year bowl ban. It's on the table. Will be interesting to see what the SEC decides to do.

Pollodawg
06-15-2017, 11:56 AM
One year suspension for Hugh. 30 over 3. 3 year bowl ban.

Dawgowar
06-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Committee says they used old system. Not new matrix.

Westdawg
06-15-2017, 12:25 PM
I will add to this - I think you could very well see the NCAA give out a show cause to Bjork, as well, at the end of this. The man now has three - THREE - programs that will have gone through MAJOR SANCTIONS in his time at Ole Miss. that shows a lack of institutional control across the spectrum of their athletic department during his oversight.
Something to definitely think long and hard about.
I think this is going to be far bigger and far-reaching and altering of the college athletic landscape than we could ever have imagined.

HSVDawg
06-15-2017, 12:28 PM
of saying Freeze would get a show cause. I think he referenced a suspension though. Remember who we're dealing with here. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the NCAA to do what they should but hey, maybe that's just me.

Yep. The fact is that no sitting Power 5 football coach has ever gotten a show cause. Kelly and Pete Carroll got theirs after they were already in the NFL. Its going to be interesting to see how they proceed and whether they want to break the mold with an SEC team, with the elephant in the room being that the Power 5 teams leaving the NCAA is still a very real possibility if they feel a dangerous precedent is being set.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-15-2017, 12:44 PM
They're shooting for a show cause with Freeze they weren't with Pitino.

Exactly!! Pitino>>>>>>Freeze. The NCAA don't give a damn about Hugh Freeze. Pitino is an icon in Men's basketball.

Dawgs87
06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Yep. The fact is that no sitting Power 5 football coach has ever gotten a show cause. Kelly and Pete Carroll got theirs after they were already in the NFL. Its going to be interesting to see how they proceed and whether they want to break the mold with an SEC team, with the elephant in the room being that the Power 5 teams leaving the NCAA is still a very real possibility if they feel a dangerous precedent is being set.

What about Jim Tressel?

msudawglb
06-15-2017, 12:48 PM

I think at the end of the day, the NCAA will hit Freeze and Bjork harder than you might expect. I think the NCAA is really looking out for the kids in the end and I think the way Ole Miss lied to the commits 5 days before signing day 2016 will come back to haunt them. I also think the way that Ole Miss responded to the NOA using Leo's twitter avatar was wrong. Combine that with the lawsuit against the players and it looks terrible for Ole Miss. Not to mention that Freeze comes off as Holier than thou and only wants to help these poor kids...only to allow the Kimchee's to drug themselves into oblivion and the football team to haze a theatre student during a play....both of which happened with no disciplinary actions from Freeze.

I think the NCAA definitely wants ole Hugh gone and I bet Bjork gets it too.

StatesboroBlues
06-15-2017, 12:51 PM

You are correct...it is not a total scholarship loss of 6 over that time period. They lost 2 last year(self imposed) and then by 4 over the probation period. They will never be down to 9 strictly because of probation.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2017, 01:05 PM
You are correct...it is not a total scholarship loss of 6 over that time period. They lost 2 last year(self imposed) and then by 4 over the probation period. They will never be down to 9 strictly because of probation.

USC had about 45 scholarship players at the end of thiers. That is fact.

StatesboroBlues
06-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Don't know what USC has to do with UL. You have to read how the scholarship reductions are structured. They lost a certain #/ class as well as a max number of total scholarships. UL is just losing a acholarships toward the total and can do so how they choose during the 4 year probation.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Don't know what USC has to do with UL. You have to read how the scholarship reductions are structured. They lost a certain #/ class as well as a max number of total scholarships. UL is just losing a acholarships toward the total and can do so how they choose during the 4 year probation.
Just pointing out what the result of 30 over 3 was.

StatesboroBlues
06-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Undwrstand...the 30 over 3 is based on the 25 signing class. If I am not mistaken...There total # on scholarship was limited that first year also which can lower your #s even quicker depending on transfers and/or Srs.

That is why we hope say UM gets 30 over 3 but also limits their total # to 75 or below. That way if they have a small Sr class it hurts them even worse.

Hypnodawg
06-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Basketball is different than football. Football is 85 total with 25 max new per year. Basketball is 13 total. No limit on max new per year. So 4 scholarships means they have 12 on scholarship for 4 years.

HSVDawg
06-16-2017, 09:39 AM
What about Jim Tressel?

Tressel wasn't hit with the show cause until 7 months after he had already resigned from OSU. Again, not a sitting coach. We are already well within that window for Freeze.

I think OM's strategy is to force the NCAA's hand by making them issue the show cause and deal with any potential backlash that may occur. It's a poker game at this point. It may very well be a terrible strategy for them, but it's still going to require the NCAA to do sonething it's never done before.

Irondawg
06-16-2017, 09:40 AM
I don't see how Pitino avoided a show cause based on the way they have been throwing them around. No assistant coach goes out and hires a bunch of prostitutes without the head coach knowing.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Tressel wasn't hit with the show cause until 7 months after he had already resigned from OSU. Again, not a sitting coach. We are already well within that window for Freeze.

I think OM's strategy is to force the NCAA's hand by making them issue the show cause and deal with any potential backlash that may occur. It's a poker game at this point. It may very well be a terrible strategy for them, but it's still going to require the NCAA to do sonething it's never done before.

The reason those coaches weren't around is because they got out (Carroll & Kelly) or were removed (Tressell). They saw the train coming down the tracks. OM & Freeze has decided to stay on the track & see if the train flattens them.

Commercecomet24
06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
The reason those coaches weren't around is because they got out (Carroll & Kelly) or were removed (Tressell). They saw the train coming down the tracks. OM & Freeze has decided to stay on the track & see if the train flattens them.

And it's a Long Black Train coming for them!

HSVDawg
06-16-2017, 11:16 AM

Thats exactly my point. We are in uncharted territory. The NCAA was probably expecting OM would cut bait with Freeze on their own, much like a prosecutor expects a defendant to plea out against overwhelming evidence. So now the ball is in their court. Regardless of the magnitude of actual infractions, no one has been this non-compliant with the NCAA since SMU.