PDA

View Full Version : The post-draft fallout depth chart

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 11:54 PM
I think we came out OK as far as the draft. I expected us to lose Quenton Holmes for sure and the three JUCO guys- Rey Riveria, Troy Bacon, and Pearson McMahan were basically bonus guys that would be awesome to get but it would take them basically falling through the draft for that to happen. Hutchinson I felt like was 50/50 and then in an interview he said he was 60-40 towards pro ball and now I think he's basically probably 90/10 going to pro baseball. I thought Ryan Gridley would be drafted lower than he actually ended up being drafted- I expected around round 15-20 and he ended up going in round 11. So, that to me was the only unpleasant surprise. I've heard that he doesn't know what he wants to do yet so I'm just going to go with 50/50 but with a glass half empty attitude of going pro. Everyone else I feel pretty good about as far as coming to school unless they are using Dale Burdick's agent.

So, here are my thoughts on where we stand as of now. And I'll probably do this again after the signing deadline in July.

Ace- Pilkington. I think that him playing for Team USA will be a great experience for him and I think he could take a Stratton/Hudson type leap for his junior year and potentially be our third first round pick in a row.

After that it's pretty wide open as far as the rotation.

Saturday- Ashcraft. Needs to get healthy and hopefully will pitch somewhere this summer. Needs to show better command and hopefully will make a leap.

Sunday- McQuary. Yes, I've heard the rumors that he could play third base. But his stuff on the mound is really good. He just has to learn how to command it. I hope he does this summer.

Midweek- Billingsley. This would be awesome if he would be the midweek guy. However we're MSU and Ashcraft and McQuary will probably look like they have never seen a baseball before next year and thus Billingsley, a fifth year senior will be the Saturday guy. Because things with our pitching staff never seem to work out how we would like them to.

Noah Hughes has looked good in bullpen sessions and he will be someone to be watched over the summer and fall. Would not surprise me if he ended up in the midweek or even in the rotation. I could say the same about Parker Ford too. He got better as the season continued and I think he could have a role for us next year. I think Ethan Small could figure in to the rotation as well depending on how he looks in the fall. He could be our LOOGY that we didn't have this year. Or if he is healthy and far along enough I wouldn't rule out the rotation either. I think Gary Henderson will find at least four competent guys and this group will be much improved for us.

The Bullpen

Price, Self, and Blake Smith return. There are rumors that Ryan Rigby will leave. I think he would be crazy if he did- and he wasn't drafted so maybe he will reconsider. As of now, I'm going to assume the rumor is true and just be happy if it isn't. I know Self wants to be in the rotation and he could vey well do that but I don't think he will next year because he pitched a lot this year and he has a history of arm issues. I think with a deeper bullpen we could probably spread out his workload more than we did this year and allow him to develop his game and rest some. Price has shown that he can close. Smith is wait and see with his Tommy John surgery but he plans on being back. Jared Leibelt is a JUCO transfer that I think will pitch out of the bullpen a lot for us next year and eat innings. Cole Marsh is another JUCO that could be a long relief guy. Peyton Plumlee returns and he needs to refine his command. He has a lot of experience and he could play a role for us. I think that if Cole Gordon pitches it will be out of the bullpen and he could be another good relief option and he should be better next year. He has to eliminate the big inning. Trysten Barlow will be better and I think he will have a nice career for us. A deeper staff will allow him to focus on being a LOOGY. Chad Bryant got drafted today and I could see him being a one inning relief guy for us and he has a bright future. Jared Padgett is a wild card that will be watched closely in the fall. If he's healthy it will change our bullpen quite a bit. John Mason and Cameron Voss are wild cards. Mason has had arm injuries and I don't know how Voss will translate from his JUCO league to the SEC. Both could be huge surprises or they could also end up being sent home. This group will be much better next year and could go from one of the worst in the SEC to one of the better ones.

Catcher

This group is scary thin and is a huge question mark for us. I think it's Skelton's job to lose- and I actually think he will be better defensively than Lovelady. We'll see how much offense he gives us and how far along he comes with that. Marshall Gilbert comes from a league where guys haven't translated well to the SEC. I'm skeptical. We need another catcher because the third guy is Hunter Stovall- and if Skelton struggles at the plate and Gilbert doesn't adjust I wouldn't be shocked to see him start at catcher.

First Base

Obviously we won't be as good. But we could be solid. I really think Owen Lovell wins it, but Harrison Bragg will have a good chance to win it. I'm skeptical of Alex Pener the JUCO first baseman we're bringing in. But he'll be in the mix. Cole Gordon will also be in the mix if not the front runner and while he can hit a baseball 500 feet, he really struggled at the plate. Josh Hatcher who was drafted by the Angels is also a possibility here. Will be a lot of competition here.

Second Base

This is Hunter Stovall's to lose. He's one of the best in the SEC and if he can stay healthy he could take it to the next level. I'm more worried about having to move him to catcher. If that happens, I think Tanner Allen or LA would take over.

Third base

I think we dodged a bullet when Harrison Bragg wasn't drafted. He's had his moments- my personal favorite was his home run that made Jared Poche' cry. For some reason I think he gets his head on straight and busts out next year. Will it be at first or third? Kind of depends on what Gridley ultimately does I think. LA will obviously have a say here if Gridley returns and I think freshman Jordan Westburg could be a darkhorse that wins the job of the upperclassmen don't straighten themselves out.

Shortstop

It depends on Gridley and really the entire infield kind of hinges on his decision. If he comes back he will start obviously. If he does not, I think LA will start. And LA needs to stop expanding the zone and chasing pitches. He has some power when he does make contact and his defense and arm are without a doubt SEC worthy. LA has also dealt with some injuries but he needs to take a step forward in the Cape and we'll see if he does indeed do that. LA could end up being like Kramer Robertson for LSU who had similar struggles his sophomore year and ended up being left home while the team went to Omaha and Cann was able to straighten him out. We'll see if the same happens again. If LA does not and Gridley leaves we could also possibly see Westburg here, but I think he's a third baseman long term.

Outfield

I think Jake Mangum returning is a great decision on his part. The biggest thing is he needs to be more selective at the plate. He does need to get stronger, but the being more selective will also help a lot too. He also needs to improve his baserunning and become at least a 20 stolen base guy. He has a chance to be another All-SEC guy and has CF locked down. While I think the freshmen are very talented, I think Elijah MacNamee keeps a starting spot. He made some nice defensive plays and he is very competitive. He should be better and I could see him putting up Cody Brown type numbers potentially next year. I think Tanner Allen more than likely ends up in the corner OF or DH for us and he is the guy that Manieri was upset about us flipping. He will play a lot and start somewhere- and he will be a productive player for us. Jordan Anderson has the potential to be a All-SEC guy one day and I think Cann will really develop him into a solid hitter. He could very well start for us as well. Josh Hatcher doesn't get talked about a lot but he will compete for playing time. If Owen Lovell does not win the first base job or another option emerges there and Lovell looks good we may play him in the outfield as well. I'll be interested to see if Brant Blaylock makes a big jump and follows the same career arc as Hunter Renfroe and Brent Rooker so I'm going to watch him very closely this summer. He could be a guy that makes that kind of huge jump in a couple of years but we'll see. I think Hunter Vansau and Tanner Poole are the odd men out and will be role players for us if they make the team.

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Synopsis:

Ace- Pilkington
Sat- Ashcraft
Sun- McQuary
Midweek- Billingsley

Closer- Price
Set-up- Self
Set-up- Leibelt

C- Skelton

1B- Owen Lovell
2B- Stovall
3B- Bragg
SS- LA

LF- Jordan Anderson
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee

DH- Tanner Allen

Commercecomet24
06-15-2017, 12:07 AM
Great work, Todd! Thanks for doing that.

The Federalist Engineer
06-15-2017, 12:30 AM
It sucks but we do have annual "Vance Tatum Award" for regressed sophomore pitcher

2017 Winner is...Ryan Cyr

But we also have a "Brett Pirtle Award" for a little dude that has a monster year

2017 Winner is....Cody Brown

We also have a "Chris George Award" for a true Freshman pitcher that pitches like a Junior

2017 Winner is....Riley Self

We also have a "Nick Vickerson" award for instant impact JUCO

2017 Winner is...Spencer Price

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-15-2017, 12:44 AM
Rigby is leaving to go where? And why?

Bothrops
06-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the info, Todd.

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Synopsis:

Ace- Pilkington
Sat- Ashcraft
Sun- McQuary
Midweek- Billingsley

Closer- Price
Set-up- Self
Set-up- Leibelt

C- Skelton

1B- Owen Lovell
2B- Stovall
3B- Bragg
SS- LA

LF- Jordan Anderson
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee

DH- Tanner Allen

Vansau?

shoeless joe
06-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Rigby is leaving to go where? And why?

Supposedly fathers got mad over some stuff with the new staff. Typical baseball drama that coaches deal with all the time

louisvilledawg
06-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Why is everyone forgetting about Ethan Small out of the pen? That dude is nasty from the left side at 92-95

Todd4State
06-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Why is everyone forgetting about Ethan Small out of the pen? That dude is nasty from the left side at 92-95

I haven't forgotten about him but I want to see how he looks since his surgery. If he's healthy he's definitely in the mix to pitch a lot. But it's an unknown right now.

HSVDawg
06-15-2017, 09:00 AM

My guess is because nobody knows his status for next year. His recovery is ahead of schedule but who knows if he has a set back or has cobwebs in between the ears. Look no further than Parker Ford's performance this year as to what could happen with Small next year. Its not realistic to expect any pitcher to actually return to their previous level of performance until 18-24 months after TJ surgery, although some do come back faster than others.

Thrill1
06-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Anyone know how Keegan James' recovery is coming?

Turfdawg67
06-15-2017, 09:54 AM
I feel better!! Thanks!

AlSwearengen
06-15-2017, 10:12 AM
I agree about McQuary being a pitcher. That dude has really good stuff and if he concentrated on just being a pitcher, he could be really good. And with our luck with pitchers lately, we need all of the options we can get. It is probably going to take us a couple of more years to recover from the tommy john plague to where we have a balance of depth/talent/experience. It might take three.

Cary Hudson's little bro
06-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Vansau?

IMO he is a likely cut. Juco guy that was in the right place at the right time. Good player but not good enough to stick.

msstate7
06-15-2017, 10:20 AM
IMO he is a likely cut. Juco guy that was in the right place at the right time. Good player but not good enough to stick.

Maybe so, but I hope to God we have some lefty bats next season. We had 3 LH bats last season... Cody is gone and Cole had 57 ABs

sleepy dawg
06-15-2017, 10:51 AM

For real? Vansau cut? He had like a .400 OBP.

mparkerfd20
06-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Vansau ain't getting cut. He'll be one of our better players next year.

msstate7
06-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Vansau ain't getting cut. He'll be one of our better players next year.

Doubt it too, but luke Reynolds got cut after a strong year, so who knows

louisvilledawg
06-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Maybe so, but I hope to God we have some lefty bats next season. We had 3 LH bats last season... Cody is gone and Cole sucks at hitting SEC pitching

FIFY

I seen it dawg
06-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Uhhh ok then.

HSVDawg
06-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Maybe so, but I hope to God we have some lefty bats next season. We had 3 LH bats last season... Cody is gone and Cole had 57 ABs

This in spades. He'll have a roster spot due to being left handed if for no other reason. Same can be said of any other LH bats that can hit above the Mendoza line.

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2017, 12:39 PM
If tanner poole and alexander are still on the team then vansau def will be