PDA

View Full Version : Baseball guys/Todd4State whoever

BuckyIsAB****
06-14-2017, 02:16 PM
How bad did the draft hurt us? Grid and Jake coming back? Draft may still be going I have no idea bc I think the MLB draft is basically unwatchable but still. We gonna keep our good signees or are we gonna go JUCO again

Homedawg
06-14-2017, 02:48 PM
It's going to sting. One hs pitcher lost, one Jc of, one juco 1b and 2 juco p. And gridley is probably gone. We should be good w magnum. Not a whole lot left on the Jc market. We didn't have enough backup plans in this class. But that's why they get paid the big bucks to figure it out.

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Hutchinson just told the media he is still trying to decide what to do. So maybe there's a chance we get him. To me, I really didn't expect to get the JUCO guys or Holmes so not a big deal to me. If Gridley leaves we need LA to really step it up at the plate. Getting Anderson and Mangum is huge. Owen Lovell, Tanner Allen, and Jordan Westburg are all highly thought of prospects and I think Jared Leibelt will pitch a lot for us. Chad Bryant is a nice freshman prospect as well.

If we get Hutchinson then the only unpleasant surprise would be Gridley. I can live with that with this group.

AlSwearengen
06-14-2017, 03:52 PM
To add to what Todd said, I was reading an interview with Hutchinson on PG. He had been committed to Henderson and Kentucky, so he basically followed Henderson.

Powersaw
06-14-2017, 04:11 PM
I think we did about as good as we could have hoped. I don't see any chance of Gridley returning unless he just doesn't care about the $$ at all. Defensively, Alexander can slide right over, but he no one was more of a disappointment at the plate this season IMO. Really expected him to put up good #s. We really need him step it up in 2018.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm holding out a little hope on Grid for 2 reasons...1 Freeman and Mulkey going 4th round as seniors and B his family really values education which I can only assume he is very close to degree.

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm holding out a little hope on Grid for 2 reasons...1 Freeman and Mulkey going 4th round as seniors and B his family really values education which I can only assume he is very close to degree.

Cann also loves him. You know he is going to go all out to get him back.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Cann also loves him. You know he is going to go all out to get him back.

He will be THE team leader. Or looked to for that. If he's not back we don't have anyone to step into that roll. Maybe Hunter a Stovall if he's ready.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-14-2017, 05:40 PM
I could see Bragg at 1B, Stovall 2nd, LA SS, and McQuary 3B, Mangum CF, Tanner Allen LF, Jordan Anderson RF, Skelton C...Allen could play 3b as well...

Thick
06-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Hunter Stovall looks pissed off at the world all of the time. I don't think I have ever seen him smile. Is his dad an intense mfer?

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Final tally

1 - Brent Rooker Jr.
2 - Quinton Holmes HS
2 - Reynaldo Rivera Juco
4 - Troy Bacon Juco
4 - Pearson McMahon Juco
8 - Tyreque Reed Juco
11 - Ryan Gridley Jr.
12 - Bryson Hutchinson HS
30 - Jake Mangum So.
36 - Tanner Allen HS
39 - Josh Hatcher HS
39 - Chad Bryant HS
40 - Jordan Anderson HS

Edited to add LSU's class for comparison. I did not include Sr's, just eligible returning or signed players. I put next to their name whether they were projected to attend LSU or sign pro, according to what is being said on Tiger Droppings. Like it or not, we need to look at them as the gold standard. I read an article today that said every LSU freshman class since 1983 has reached at least one world series. They have reached the world series 18 of the last 31 years. If the projections below hold true, they took a pretty good hit in the draft.

1 - Nate Pearson Juco PRO
1 - Alex Lange Jr. PRO
2 - Greg Deichmann Jr. PRO
3 - Jacob Pearson HS PRO
3 - Blane Enlow HS PRO
5 - Andrew Bechtold HS PRO
9 - Michael Papierski Jr. PRO
18 - Cam Sanders Juco PRO
25 - Doug Norman Jr. LSU
26 - Daniel Cabrera HS LSU
31 - Nick Stortz HS LSU
35 - Stephen Keller HS Attending Juco

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-14-2017, 07:02 PM
I don't know how intense Hunter's dad is. I talked with him for several innings last year at Troy and he seemed like an easy going guy. I enjoyed talking to him.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Hunter Stovall looks pissed off at the world all of the time. I don't think I have ever seen him smile. Is his dad an intense mfer?

He wears his war face to the ball game, saves the smiles for ladies

maroonmania
06-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Hutchinson just told the media he is still trying to decide what to do. So maybe there's a chance we get him. To me, I really didn't expect to get the JUCO guys or Holmes so not a big deal to me. If Gridley leaves we need LA to really step it up at the plate. Getting Anderson and Mangum is huge. Owen Lovell, Tanner Allen, and Jordan Westburg are all highly thought of prospects and I think Jared Leibelt will pitch a lot for us. Chad Bryant is a nice freshman prospect as well.

If we get Hutchinson then the only unpleasant surprise would be Gridley. I can live with that with this group.

Still seems like we are still going to be short on infielders for next year. Aren't most of our highest rated guys that are likely coming to school OFs?

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Still seems like we are still going to be short on infielders for next year. Aren't most of our highest rated guys that are likely coming to school OFs?

Yes- but some of them can also possibly play the infield. Tanner Allen specifically projects as a second baseman per MLB.com but with Hunter Stovall he could play third. Lovell and Hatcher could be in the mix at first base and also could be in the mix in the outfield as well.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Yes- but some of them can also possibly play the infield. Tanner Allen specifically projects as a second baseman per MLB.com but with Hunter Stovall he could play third. Lovell and Hatcher could be in the mix at first base and also could be in the mix in the outfield as well.

I think Reed Smith (SS/2B) was just injured last season and redshirted- he had a good fall, got a jersey number, and worked out with hurt pitchers. This was a 10 rated HS prospect by perfect game. It would be great to know his official status.