Thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2017, 10:47 PM
Pearson is a JUCO player

We are relying more on JUCO players than LSU

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-13-2017, 11:03 PM
We are relying more on JUCO players than LSU

Yea, seems John liked the juco guys a good bit. Will be interesting to see how Cann recruits them. I've got a feeling he'll go heavier on HS.

MetEdDawg
06-13-2017, 11:07 PM
A comparison of our signees vs. LSU's signees

MSU
1 - Brent Rooker Jr.
2 - Quinton Holmes HS
2 - Reynaldo Rivera Juco
4 - Troy Bacon Juco
4 - Pearson McMahon Juco
8 - Tyreque Reed Juco

LSU
1 - Nate Pearson Juco
1 - Alex Lange Jr.
2 - Greg Deichmann Jr.
3 - Jacob Pearson HS
3 - Blane Enlow HS
5 - Andrew Bechtold HS
9 - Michael Papierski Jr.

Thoughts?

Three of their 7 they lost played in the super regional. One of our 7 played in the super regional. Need to get more talent on campus to compete with them.

Juco stuff doesn't bother me right now. New coach recruiting style is more apparent the year after their first year coaching. Given Cann's late arrival, he was playing with someone else's hand this class and going into our next class. We will still go after talented juco players but I think we will comb the HS ranks for talented players more under Cann

Skydawg1
06-13-2017, 11:08 PM
You forgot Poche...he went before Diechman...if I'm not mistaken.

Jack Lambert
06-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Three of their 7 they lost played in the super regional. One of our 7 played in the super regional. Need to get more talent on campus to compete with them.

Juco stuff doesn't bother me right now. New coach recruiting style is more apparent the year after their first year coaching. Given Cann's late arrival, he was playing with someone else's hand this class and going into our next class. We will still go after talented juco players but I think we will comb the HS ranks for talented players more under Cann

If we had our pitching staff intact we would have won four of the five we played from them.

Jack Lambert
06-13-2017, 11:31 PM

I wondered if he cried with joy.

MetEdDawg
06-13-2017, 11:40 PM
If we had our pitching staff intact we would have won four of the five we played from them.

Not sure I would go with 4 of 5. But I would agree that we would have won at least 2-3. Much more on par with them for sure. We have a lot of good youth. Freshmen/sophomore class is strong. But they had 4 juniors drafted in the first 10 rounds, 3 of which drafted in the first 2 rounds. We had 1. We have talent, but we still need to do better. I think we've got a lot of guys that have upper level potential, but we aren't there yet. I think we get there under Cann, but we aren't quite there yet.

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 01:40 AM
Cohen had success at Kentucky with JUCO’s and he continued that at MSU. Basically his plan was to roll the dice on guys like Brandon Woodruff, Austin Riley, Greg Pickett, etc. and if they didn’t come to school fill in the spot with a JUCO player. Mingione had a lot of JUCO connections and Will Coggin has a lot of them too- especially in this class. Part of that philosophy was because we didn’t have the scouting intel sometimes to evaluate signability like we do now with Cann.
The problem with JUCO’s is most of the higher end ones go pro- like the three that got drafted in the top five rounds for us likely will. They also have to go through an adjustment period playing in the SEC. Even Nate Lowe and Jack Kruger struggled at times until they got settled in- and it’s magnified in the SEC where you are facing elite arms every weekend. It’s hard to bank on struggling your first 2-3 SEC series and then hope to make a run over the last seven. The other problem is if they don’t pan out you’re stuck with dead weight and it could end up pretty ugly like 2015 for us. And if they do pan out like Lowe and Kruger a lot of times they’re gone after one year. And then you are back to hoping the next batch pans out.

And I don’t mean to bash JUCO players. Some of them are very good players and MS JUCO players have really helped programs like USM and La Tech win C-USA but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the SEC.

Based on LSU’s recruiting and what we’ve done so far under Cann I think we’re going to see more Tanner Allen types of players and I think we’re going to do a much better job of evaluating signability on the front end of a player’s recruitment. That’s where Cann’s scouting ties come into play. Most colleges don’t have the best intel to know who to sign and who to focus recruiting on. We’ll still see a few JUCO recruits but I don’t think it will be like it was before. I could see Cann rolling the dice on some guys like Cohen did- but I think the difference is going to be that Cann will replace most of those recruits with high school guys and be able to do it sooner rather than later after the fact.

Todd4State
06-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Not sure I would go with 4 of 5. But I would agree that we would have won at least 2-3. Much more on par with them for sure. We have a lot of good youth. Freshmen/sophomore class is strong. But they had 4 juniors drafted in the first 10 rounds, 3 of which drafted in the first 2 rounds. We had 1. We have talent, but we still need to do better. I think we've got a lot of guys that have upper level potential, but we aren't there yet. I think we get there under Cann, but we aren't quite there yet.

More or less our pitching needs to get healthier. As injured as we were- we were able to hang in the game with them more often than not. Even the last game we played where the bottom fell out, we had the lead and we actually knocked their two aces out of the game and made both of them freaking cry and our bullpen just couldn't hold it. And people forget that we beat them two out of three last year when they had pretty much the same team and Cann as their hitting coach. We're not that far off.

And as you alluded to, they are older and that makes a difference as well.

Bothrops
06-14-2017, 02:15 AM

Poche was taken in the 9th round.

Thick
06-14-2017, 03:17 AM
A comparison of our signees vs. LSU's signees

MSU
1 - Brent Rooker Jr.
2 - Quinton Holmes HS
2 - Reynaldo Rivera Juco
4 - Troy Bacon Juco
4 - Pearson McMahon Juco
8 - Tyreque Reed Juco

LSU
1 - Nate Pearson Juco
1 - Alex Lange Jr.
2 - Greg Deichmann Jr.
3 - Jacob Pearson HS
3 - Blane Enlow HS
5 - Andrew Bechtold HS
9 - Michael Papierski Jr.

Thoughts?

You left off Kramer Robertson too

I seen it dawg
06-14-2017, 06:22 AM
And Cole freeman. And on that list don't be shocked if Papierski carves out a long career for himself.

AlSwearengen
06-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Isn't part of the reason for Florida getting so many high draft picks to come to school is that the asshole head coach hired former scouts as assistants, giving them the type of intel that we are hoping Can has?

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-14-2017, 12:05 PM
I didn't put LSU's seniors on there. Just the ones they would lose that were available for next years team.